Stanford IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

happytime

I'm an MS-III interested in coming from out-of-state to Stanford for IM residency. If you've worked at Stanford or interviewed there and have some thoughts on the program, I'd love to hear from you. I'm interested because the hospital setup is similar to my home institution, and according to everything I've read to date, the teaching, camaraderie and training are excellent. There are of course a dozen other reasons but that is my main focus. I'm specifically wondering about what would optimise my chances of obtaining an interview, e.g. an away rotation, particular contact, etc. I'm interested in pursuing clinical (i.e. not strict academic) oncology and am considering an oncology away since this is not only a favorite field but from what I understand, a very busy service and a good chance to shine as part of the team.

Appreciate all input - have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm matched to start my intern year at Stanford in June and agree with you that the program is excellent. It was precisely the comraderie you speak of that made me rank it above 'top-tier' programs like BWH, UCSF, etc... (I don't really believe in all that 'tier' stuff people talk about anyways... it's largely artificial)...

Anyways regarding your question... I think an away rotation is the way to go. I didn't do one personally because I felt it could only hurt me (coming from a top 10 school, AOA, etc...). However, from what I have heard (not sure how accurate this is, though), the people who get in from lesser known schools tend to do away rotations. However, if you are coming from a top-tier out of state school and have excellent credentials, I would shy away from an away rotation. Oncology is indeed a very busy service and would be a wonderful opportunity to shine!

Sorry if that's not much help... let me know if you have any questions & hopefully I'll see you in 2 years!

Thanks so much, and perhaps I'll bump into you this fall then ...

and *bump* for anyone with more thoughts :)

oncology can be a very busy service. while you do have a chance to shine, it may be a bit of a harrowing experience.

you may want to consider a subspecialty elective rotation (such as cards, gi, pulm, rheum, or renal consults). these will be easier rotations. and you'll naturally shine, since you'll be willing to work longer, see more patients, do literature searches, etc. - without killing yourself.

i agree though that if you come from a top 10 med school and have strong credentials (research, aoa, etc), you may not need to do a visiting rotation. it may actually hurt you more than help you.

but if you come from a less prestigious med school, have good (but not stellar credentials), and need a boost, an away rotation is a great way to get your foot in the door.

good luck!