Starting an MPH while applying MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilelaughaly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice as I am a pretty lost pre-med student...

I applied to medical school for the first time this past cycle (for 2017 matriculation), and unfortunately got rejected. I graduated back in May 2015, so I haven't been in school for a while except for taking a biochemistry class to finish up some pre-reqs for med school.

Anyways, after going through a bit of disappointment from a failed application cycle, I decided to take another year off before reapplying next year for 2019 matriculation. I am looking into MPH programs because 1) I have always had an interest in public health, 2) I need to go back to school as I feel like I've been out of it for too long, and 3) I need a back up plan just in case reapplying my second time does not work out for me and I don't want my life to be left on hold again. I mean, I would try again (I've given myself 4 tries) but I would like to have some type of career going while I prep for another cycle (if that were to happen...again).

I, unfortunately, have only recently thought about this idea so I would only be able to start in Spring 2018, which is right before I would be applying (looking to submit in June/July). The program I'm looking into is 18 months, so I should be completely done by May 2019.

I will be retaking the MCAT since my score definitely needed work and will continue to do volunteer work at Hospice and am getting a part time scribe job. Basically, schools said I was lacking in the MCAT and clinical experience department so I'm already addressing those issues.

Do you think getting an MPH is worth my time and money? I know it won't really affect my application that much. At most, it will give me something to talk about during interviews, especially when I start doing fieldwork. My parents are pushing for me to just get my MPH so I'm at least back in school and have some sort of back up plan if the 2nd time fails. I'm so confused! Help meee...

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in public health, then there is nothing wrong with getting an MPH. Consider this, however; many residency programs will fund your MPH, so you won't have to pay for it. It may be worth it to take this extra year to beef up your app, and apply to med schools and MPH programs simultaneously. This way, if med school doesn't work out, you can take the MPH acceptance and embark on plan B. And, if med school does work out, you can do your MPH during residency. Just a thought.