State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBADentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a student gain residency in a state after one year attending dental school without working? What if their spouse is working?

Members don't see this ad.

GonnaBADentist said:
Can a student gain residency in a state after one year attending dental school without working? What if their spouse is working?

It depends on the school. I believe you can do that at Buffalo, but most other schools will not be able to classify as a resident unless you have established residence in a state for at least one year WITHOUT attending school fulltime there. Call the schools to be better informed.

I am interested in this too, anyone have anything better to offer or actual experience? Particularly with a spouse working.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nv, Ny, NJ, Cal, Wash, Conn, Ohio, Minn, Ok,Tx, possibly Md and Iowa .

Pretty sure its possible in many of these states, possibly more
I got it immediately in Nv because of my spouse.

For Buffalo, you can become a resident and pay in-state tuition for years 2, 3, and 4. You basically pay out-of-state tution for the first year, and then as long as you have the appropriate paperwork proving you are independent and have been living in NY for at least one year (lease, drivers license, utility bills, voter registration card, etc) you can become a resident.

Having a spouse work does not speed up the process (at least for Buffalo).

Although I am already a NY state resident paying in-state tuition, many of my out-of-state fellow first year students are planning on doing this. So you can count on it. Hope that helps.

I've checked some states, and I think it may depend on whether you declare the state your permanent resident or just your domicile. For example: If you state you are going to live in the state after you graduate, then you can begin your residency after one year. Sounds like anyone could lie to do this though, so I'm not sure if it is correct. Another example may be that an individual may have to make a certain amount of income in that state first. Thus having to file an income tax return for that state and have the option of becoming a resident. The amount is relatively low, about 12K.