You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wild Guess: If you're in a neighboring state I think they'd put you ahead of the other out-of-staters, but behind the in-state people. Well... might be case by case basis. On the other hand... I'm just guessing.
Last edited:
How do schools react to applicants that are residents of states without medical schools?
For the most part they treat them like any other out of stater, which is why most people from those states focus on private schools or public schools that accept a large # of OOSers (e.g. Ohio State, Cincinnati, etc...)
Univ of Washington takes people from Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, etc... I think it's called the WICHE program, where they reserve a certain # of seats for them. There's some school on the east coast (I think Vermont) who also has some program/rule for neighboring OOSers.
EDIT: I just noticed you're from AK - so you definitely get special consideration at U Washington. Not sure what other states though. Do an advanced search on "WICHE" on the preallo forum, and also do a title search on "Alaska" - you'll find what you're looking for.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2
242563
Thanks, guys. 👍
Thanks, guys. 👍
You will enjoy in-state preference at University of Washington and Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences. (The latter being a DO program). UW is adding a Spokane branch to open up about 20ish more spots, and Western University of Health Sciences (DO as well) is opening a program in Oregon aimed at NW applicants. These will open in the next 2-3 years I believe. Those are pretty much your only state-preference schools being from Alaska.
Being from the NW makes it kind of hard to have a less competitive state school option (I know, Im from WA
States like Montana - which have no medical schools have agreements with South Dakota, etc where Montana residents are the only out-of-state residents given consideration.
yea, montana is included in the UW and PNWU multi-state thingy. hmm...sounds like montana is double dipping
. lucky sons-of-guns.If you are in the WICHE program you are one of the only out of staters allowed to apply to New Mexico as well. (yeah!)
Sadly Alaska does NOT count for WICHE when it comes to med school.... so the WWAMI at UW is the only "state school" we get seats at!
I was kind of counting on it as well, but when I requested an app from North Dakota, the office wrote me back and said I am not eligible, and that Alaska stopped supporting med students for WICHE several years ago. I looked into it further, and it's true... they do support dental students though!!
I was kind of counting on it as well, but when I requested an app from North Dakota, the office wrote me back and said I am not eligible, and that Alaska stopped supporting med students for WICHE several years ago. I looked into it further, and it's true... they do support dental students though!!
yea, montana is included in the UW and PNWU multi-state thingy. hmm...sounds like montana is double dipping. lucky sons-of-guns.
Haha I don't think I can complain. We have 6 schools in FL so I consider myself lucky.
Which states don't have med schools? Just curious.
hmm, weird - I can't find a list. Not sure if one exists. However, I'm pretty sure they are:
Alaska
Delaware
Idaho
Maine
Montana
Wyoming
Maine has New England College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Rhode Island and New Hampshire each have just one private medical school, Brown and Dartmouth respectively.
Rhode Island and New Hampshire each have just one private medical school, Brown and Dartmouth respectively.
Maine has New England College of Osteopathic Medicine.
I assumed we were talking about MD schools, but I still had no idea Maine had a medical school. Thanks for the heads up!🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I assumed we were talking about MD schools, but I still had no idea Maine had a medical school. Thanks for the heads up!🙂
lol poor Maine. So far away from the rest of the country. Sometimes I feel Maine is more disconnected than Alaska and Hawaii.
I assumed we were talking about MD schools, but I still had no idea Maine had a medical school. Thanks for the heads up!🙂
Yeah, I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm under the impression that they don't give specific preference to Maine residents though.. just New England in general, which is a little odd to me.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 669