Stay away from optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treytrey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should have listened all those years ago when I lurked this site. I should have listened to the likes of JasonK and a few others that weren't as noteworthy. At the time I thought they were bitter trolls or failures in life.

Nope.

They were genuine and not disillusioned.

Optometry school is NOT worth it at all. Unless you can get through optometry school debt free (i.e. got your rich daddy to pay for it), it's not worth it one bit to go through 4 years of relatively difficult schooling only to come out and make 80-90k/year (yes, that's what they offer IF you're even lucky enough to land a full time job).

There's no reason at all to go under 150-220k debt, go through the same sort of schooling as a pharmacist or dentist and then get paid CHUMP CHANGE, LITERALLY 80-90K A FREAKING YEAR BEFORE TAX.

I have friends who graduated from software, civil and mechanical engineering who were making anywhere from 60-100k right out of school at the age of 22, they make quite a lot more now, mid 100k at the age of 27. Myself as an optometrist who went through essentially 8 years of schooling + a year lost in applying to school? Guess what. 2 years out of graduation I make 87k.

87k. Eighty-Seven thousand dollars, and that was the best offer I was able to find, I have plenty of fellow graduates who are scrambling from part time job to part time job getting a measly 60-70k, one guy I know was ecstatic, almost on the verge of tears after 2 months of not having a job, he found one. The job pays him 80k/yr. He went through 4 years of rigorous schooling and accumulated a debt of 190k to start working for 80k/year as a wageslave, working his as* off for corporate (believe me, you'll have no choice but to go corporate when you see the pathetic wages private clinics have to offer, even the busy/successful clinics offer basically nothing, 60-75k/yr because they know several ODs apply for the position anyway, they can offer less).

I look back and compare that with several friends of mine, the ones that went into software engineering and IT were quite smart, I'll always regret not doing so myself. They all got paid 100k+ at the age of 24 onward, with amazing benefits, stock options, plenty of vacation time, good work environment (believe me, working corporate will burn you out and make you into a jaded piece of **** in no time).

The only people who advocate for optometry are ****s whose parents are optometrists, i.e. millenials with everything handed to them on a silver platter.

If you want to make good money and have a Dr. beside your name, go do dentistry. Stay as far away from optometry as possible, you'll literally be a wageslave for corporations who would replace you for new grads by paying them even less than they pay you (and boy, those new grads WILL accept the lower paying jobs because of the oversaturation of OD's).

I'm doing this out of the goodness of my heart, perhaps there is a god and he will weigh my good/bad karma. Stay away from this trashcan tier career, you'll regret it, I'll regret it, most new grads regret it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I should have listened all those years ago when I lurked this site. I should have listened to the likes of JasonK and a few others that weren't as noteworthy. At the time I thought they were bitter trolls or failures in life.

Nope.

They were genuine and not disillusioned.

Optometry school is NOT worth it at all. Unless you can get through optometry school debt free (i.e. got your rich daddy to pay for it), it's not worth it one bit to go through 4 years of relatively difficult schooling only to come out and make 80-90k/year (yes, that's what they offer IF you're even lucky enough to land a full time job).

There's no reason at all to go under 150-220k debt, go through the same sort of schooling as a pharmacist or dentist and then get paid CHUMP CHANGE, LITERALLY 80-90K A FREAKING YEAR BEFORE TAX.

I have friends who graduated from software, civil and mechanical engineering who were making anywhere from 60-100k right out of school at the age of 22, they make quite a lot more now, mid 100k at the age of 27. Myself as an optometrist who went through essentially 8 years of schooling + a year lost in applying to school? Guess what. 2 years out of graduation I make 87k.

87k. Eighty-Seven thousand dollars, and that was the best offer I was able to find, I have plenty of fellow graduates who are scrambling from part time job to part time job getting a measly 60-70k, one guy I know was ecstatic, almost on the verge of tears after 2 months of not having a job, he found one. The job pays him 80k/yr. He went through 4 years of rigorous schooling and accumulated a debt of 190k to start working for 80k/year as a wageslave, working his as* off for corporate (believe me, you'll have no choice but to go corporate when you see the pathetic wages private clinics have to offer, even the busy/successful clinics offer basically nothing, 60-75k/yr because they know several ODs apply for the position anyway, they can offer less).

I look back and compare that with several friends of mine, the ones that went into software engineering and IT were quite smart, I'll always regret not doing so myself. They all got paid 100k+ at the age of 24 onward, with amazing benefits, stock options, plenty of vacation time, good work environment (believe me, working corporate will burn you out and make you into a jaded piece of **** in no time).

The only people who advocate for optometry are ****s whose parents are optometrists, i.e. millenials with everything handed to them on a silver platter.

If you want to make good money and have a Dr. beside your name, go do dentistry. Stay as far away from optometry as possible, you'll literally be a wageslave for corporations who would replace you for new grads by paying them even less than they pay you (and boy, those new grads WILL accept the lower paying jobs because of the oversaturation of OD's).

I'm doing this out of the goodness of my heart, perhaps there is a god and he will weigh my good/bad karma. Stay away from this trashcan tier career, you'll regret it, I'll regret it, most new grads regret it.

Bruh......dental school student debt is the worst in the country hovering at 250k average with I believe family help added in.

Reactions: 5 users
Bruh......dental school student debt is the worst in the country hovering at 250k average with I believe family help added in.
The thing is, once you finish dentistry, you're basically set. You're set to make 150k as an associate, I know because I have a number of highschool/uni friends/people I knew, they all make 150k+ right out the gate, and this is in a saturated area. My cousin who is also a dentist who graduated 4 years ago literally works 3-4 days a week and makes 160k.

Dentists have 200-300k debt, but at the very least, they can pay that debt off VERY quickly and VERY easily. For the SAME AMOUNT OF SCHOOLING that optometrists get, they get paid 2-2.5x more.

Once you finish optometry school, you're looking at almost 200k debt, probably more, you'll be stuck making 70-90k for the next 10-15 years. Pathetic. I have nobody to blame but optometrists and their respective associations for not taking a stand against this sort of crap. A few decades ago optometrists made a little more than dentists and even physicians, dentist/physician salary has doubled or even tripled. Optometrist salary has stayed the same and stagnated.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's rough, and I lament your challenges.

I totally understand your financial situation and the job market pressures, as well as the less than desirable working conditions of working corporate optometry.

I've only worked at one corporate job that I absolutely hated (I quit out of the blue with no job lined up because I was so pissed off, not to mention it was operating illegally and I got subpoenaed by the DCA), and I fortunately secured a super awesome f/t hospital gig that pays a whopping 70% more while seeing 30% less patients per day.

Working retail and in corporate settings is always terrible. I've never worked in private practice or got any job offers, so I don't know what working conditions are like there.

I'm incredibly happy, lucky, AND GRATEFUL for having my current job, and I can't imagine what I'd be doing if I wasn't selected for the job. I was burnt out from just one year in corporation, and the job boards in California have postings very far and few between.

FYI if you see vision precision holdings, run the f*** away.

Reactions: 1 user
That's rough, and I lament your challenges.

I totally understand your financial situation and the job market pressures, as well as the less than desirable working conditions of working corporate optometry.

I've only worked at one corporate job that I absolutely hated (I quit out of the blue with no job lined up because I was so pissed off, not to mention it was operating illegally and I got subpoenaed by the DCA), and I fortunately secured a super awesome f/t hospital gig that pays a whopping 70% more while seeing 30% less patients per day.

Working retail and in corporate settings is always terrible. I've never worked in private practice or got any job offers, so I don't know what working conditions are like there.

I'm incredibly happy, lucky, AND GRATEFUL for having my current job, and I can't imagine what I'd be doing if I wasn't selected for the job. I was burnt out from just one year in corporation, and the job boards in California have postings very far and few between.

FYI if you see vision precision holdings, run the f*** away.
It's good that you're in a better spot now. How much were you being paid for the corporate job? Everyday I worked in corporate I thought to myself, wow if I had my own practise with this many patients I'd be making decent money.

The thing is, once you finish dentistry, you're basically set. You're set to make 150k as an associate, I know because I have a number of highschool/uni friends/people I knew, they all make 150k+ right out the gate, and this is in a saturated area. My cousin who is also a dentist who graduated 4 years ago literally works 3-4 days a week and makes 160k.

Dentists have 200-300k debt, but at the very least, they can pay that debt off VERY quickly and VERY easily. For the SAME AMOUNT OF SCHOOLING that optometrists get, they get paid 2-2.5x more.

Once you finish optometry school, you're looking at almost 200k debt, probably more, you'll be stuck making his70-90k for the next 10-15 years. Pathetic. I have nobody to blame butc optometrists and their respective associations for not taking a stand against this sort of crap. A few decades ago optometrists made a little more than dentists and even physicians, dentist/physician salary has doubled or even tripled. Optometrist salary has stayed the same and stagnated.

Most dentists are starting out at 90k dude. You have to be strategic in your market, competition, and the population around you. There are therapists making 110k starting with 80k debt next to the private school dentist making 90k with 400k debts. It's all supply and demand, reimbursement fluctuations, marketing, surrounding population, and Bls and hrsa predictions.

If you think you're a pretty fairy entitled to six figures due to six figs debt then you're an idiot who doesn't understand healthcare payment and loans as well as sacrifice. Wait it out til your market gets better and compete if possible or stop being a special little ****ing snowflake. Yes it ****ing sucks with loans and bankruptcy not currently being an option (will change...guaranteed....) and ways to manage better should be more manageable but Jesus, grow a pair and learn what you're getting into and trying to make a living off of based on what populations want.

This isn't the baby boom generation......you don't get extra compensation due to higher education only. Attack need, demand, and capitalism. That's how you make money and survive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Most dentists are starting out at 90k dude. You have to be strategic in your market, competition, and the population around you. There are therapists making 110k starting with 80k debt next to the private school dentist making 90k with 400k debts. It's all supply and demand, reimbursement fluctuations, marketing, surrounding population, and Bls and hrsa predictions.

If you think you're a pretty fairy entitled to six figures due to six figs debt then you're an idiot who doesn't understand healthcare payment and loans as well as sacrifice. Wait it out til your market gets better and compete if possible or stop being a special little ****ing snowflake. Yes it ****ing sucks with loans and bankruptcy not currently being an option (will change...guaranteed....) and ways to manage better should be more manageable but Jesus, grow a pair and learn what you're getting into and trying to make a living off of based on what populations want.

This isn't the baby boom generation......you don't get extra compensation due to higher education compared to their stupid populace. Attack need, demand, and capitalism. That's how you make money and survive.

Edit: I love slaying baby boomers because their leaderships pathways to success are so debt ridden and ****ed up that it's literally become a joke for this generation. Should skip the trad education pathways and just work with data

Most dentists do not start at 90k, that amount is laughable to them. 90k maybe if they work only 2-3 days a week. I'm not saying I'm entitled to a greater salary, just saying that for the effort optometry takes, the pay is pathetic. Sounds like you're somebody who got by by sucking on daddys teets.

Optometry is a trashcan tier career, it's not a wonder why most people who do it end up regretting it nowadays.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Once again.....my office is offering a full time position, six figure guaranteed starting salary with production bonus and with benefits. You'll make a lot more than what "treytrey" is talking about. If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me or pass my contact information along.

Reactions: 13 users
I think you're on the wrong board. :rolleyes:
I'm definitely on the right one. Just trying to warn people to stay away, do something else, optometry simply isn't worth it.

Once again.....my office is offering a full time position, six figure guaranteed starting salary with production bonus and with benefits. You'll make a lot more than what "treytrey" is talking about. If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me or pass my contact information along.
nice anecdotal evidence, the fact of the matter is, new graduates and optometrists within their first 5 years of work get paid chump change (which doesn't increase). Getting paid 75-95k/yr for a doctorate supposedly on the same level as MD/Dentistry/Pharmacy is pathetic.

The fact that it's so easy to get into optometry school just attests to the fact that it's not a worthwhile career anymore with a poor future.

I'm definitely on the right one. Just trying to warn people to stay away, do something else, optometry simply isn't worth it.

nice anecdotal evidence, the fact of the matter is, new graduates and optometrists within their first 5 years of work get paid chump change (which doesn't increase). Getting paid 75-95k/yr for a doctorate supposedly on the same level as MD/Dentistry/Pharmacy is pathetic.

The fact that it's so easy to get into optometry school just attests to the fact that it's not a worthwhile career anymore with a poor future.

So I take it you don't want the gig?

Reactions: 6 users
So I take it you don't want the gig?
Where? I'd bet somewhere very rural. I haven't seen anything more than 95k and I've checked 4 major cities and their respective suburbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Connecticut. Half way between New York City and Boston. About an hour and half to each. Half way between Hartford and Nee Haven. About twenty minutes to each.
If you haven't found an optometrist with that salary, you're either lying about the salary or literally live in the middle of nowhere in all honesty. An OD for a private clinic I know put out a listing for a full time od to come join them, he got 23 applicants, that's 23 people looking to fill in for a 75k/year job. Sad.

Y'all need to stop putting hate on this damn thread I want to be one and these comments are funny to be honest. You want the money so bad go in medical or computer tech stop hating cos ur not getting paid well. Optometry is good when u have a passion and dream not love for money

Reactions: 4 users
Wow I can't believe u made an account yesterday just to spill hate and nobody's going to listen to ur problem. Also who says that my parents are going to pay for me I'm not a rich white with a Benz ok? I work for what I want unlike u complaining about everything work ur damn self up ur acting like a lil boy

Can't accept a job that doesn't exist. In todays oversaturated markets, a 100k+ job as an optometrist is virtually non existent, you're lying to yourself and everybody on this website, very unethical of you.

This is the ad that has been posted on this and other online job sites:

Immediate opening for a full time optometrist in a medically oriented private practice in Wallingford, CT. We are willing to consider a part time position as well. OCT, visual fields, topography, fundus photography, EHR etc. are all on site and we see approximately 15-20 patients per day. Well trained tech and support staff handle pre-testing duties so you can work at a comfortable pace. Number of days and hours worked are flexible. Guaranteed six figure income with production bonus as well as a generous expense and vacation package will be offered. New graduates are welcome. Potential partnership opportunity for the right candidate as senior partner is looking to reduce hours and retire in the coming years. You can visit our website at www.wallingfordeyecare.com. Please contact [email protected]

Feel free to apply.

Reactions: 2 users

Immediate opening for a full time optometrist in a medically oriented private practice in Wallingford, CT. We are willing to consider a part time position as well. OCT, visual fields, topography, fundus photography, EHR etc. are all on site and we see approximately 15-20 patients per day. Well trained tech and support staff handle pre-testing duties so you can work at a comfortable pace. Number of days and hours worked are flexible. Guaranteed six figure income with production bonus as well as a generous expense and vacation package will be offered. New graduates are welcome. Potential partnership opportunity for the right candidate as senior partner is looking to reduce hours and retire in the coming years. You can visit our website at www.wallingfordeyecare.com. Please contact [email protected]

Feel free to apply.
Yeah that guy trey needs it he's real low in the dumps crying about he doesn't make any money

Wow I can't believe u made an account yesterday just to spill hate and nobody's going to listen to ur problem. Also who says that my parents are going to pay for me I'm not a rich white with a Benz ok? I work for what I want unlike u complaining about everything work ur damn self up ur acting like a lil boy
EDIT: good god you're a highschool student, out of the goodness of my heart, all I can tell you is stay away, take your time to do your research and decide carefully, take a look at all the hundreds of posts of people on this forum telling you to stay away from this trashcan tier career (I didn't listen to them all those years ago).

If you want a good career in healthcare that pays well, go for pharmacy/dentistry or hell even a masters in public health or epidemiology, optometry is a near sunken ship. If you have the aptitude for optometry, you might as well apply yourself a little harder and go to medical school which has a MUCH greater payout. As a family physician you'll make more than an optometrist just working 3 days a week. You'll earn more than optometrists working 6 days a week for long hours for commercial chains as a general practitioner/family physician working 3-4 days a week for 6 hours a day. Let that sink in.

^ please just take that into consideration

you know what, I don't care, given your close minded attitude and general diction, I'd love for you to go to optometry school and then find yourself crying in the parking lot of your crappy car outside whatever chain you're bound to wageslave at, only then will you realize the implications of my kind hearted warnings

^ please just take that into consideration

you know what, I don't care, given your close minded attitude and general diction, I'd love for you to go to optometry school and then find yourself crying in the parking lot of your crappy car outside whatever chain you're bound to wageslave at, only then will you realize the implications of my kind hearted warnings

I won't but thx any ways and u really didn't have any advice that's ur input

Yeah that guy trey needs it he's real low in the dumps crying about he doesn't make any money
I can literally begin posting facebook/discord/skype conversations I've had with fellow graduates, very brilliant minded people who were duped into optometry, the topics range from worries about the future of our field and profession, to the ****ty salaries we have, to the amount of grueling work we had to go through in optometry school to get paid in pennies, everything.

Oh and don't you worry bout me, I have too much pride to ask anybody in my immediate family for financial assistance, but worst comes to worst, I have an uncle who is quite well off and more than willing to lend me a hand.

If you aren't missing chromosomes or parts of your brain, literally go through this very forum, find some old posts, you'll find people echoing the exact same sentiment that I am.

ps. enjoy taking loans upwards of 250k (probably more factoring in undergraduate) and then attempting to pay it off on a salary of 75-90k.

I can literally begin posting facebook/discord/skype conversations I've had with fellow graduates, very brilliant minded people who were duped into optometry, the topics range from worries about the future of our field and profession, to the ****ty salaries we have, to the amount of grueling work we had to go through in optometry school to get paid in pennies, everything.

Oh and don't you worry bout me, I have too much pride to ask anybody in my immediate family for financial assistance, but worst comes to worst, I have an uncle who is quite well off and more than willing to lend me a hand.

If you aren't missing chromosomes or parts of your brain, literally go through this very forum, find some old posts, you'll find people echoing the exact same sentiment that I am.

Feel free to pass my contact information onto any of these "very brilliant minded people" you know who feel that they've been duped and don't want to earn a ****ty salary anymore.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not but ur are u picked this and u Should know ur getting ur self into so dot chicken out. This is where pride leads u with no money right? Heading towards the dumps. Good luck with that uncle

Feel free to pass my contact information onto any of these "very brilliant minded people" you know who feel that they've been duped and don't want to earn a ****ty salary anymore.

See explain more to this person hen doesn't get it

Ok guys....so here's the thing about optometry.....

I would ignore this "treytrey" person entirely EXCEPT for the fact that he does make a semi-legitimate point in the midst of all the rantings that optometry is not a field that you want to take on massive amounts of student debt for. If you think you are going to be in debt more than $200,000 at the end of your training, I would probably not pursue optometry. Choose your undergraduate path wisely.

That being said...you do NOT have to work as a "slave in some corporate dump." There are many well established, professional private practices out there offering good salaries and benefits and full time positions. My own practice included. Now....Dr. Treytrey has accused me of making the position up and I can assure you that I have not. The ad I posted is 100% legitimate. It is posted on several different sites and you can all feel free to visit my office website. My identity on this site is not a secret. I am not anonymous. I can also steer to you any of a half dozen optometric and ophthalmic practices in CT looking for full time employees.

Most new graduates that I meet seem to want to work for ophthalmologists for whatever reason and/or they want to limit themselves geographically to New York City, Boston, So Cal or the "Bay Area." If you are going to limit yourselves to those areas, you may well have more trouble. I do not practice in the middle of nowhere. I am not in rural Nebraska or North Dakota. I practice in Connecticut, halfway between New York City and Boston, both of which are easily accessible. The community I practice in has great schools, reasonable cost of living and easy access to any culture, dining, sporting, night life, world class hospitals, etc. etc. that you want. I'm half an hour from the water. Connecticut has a wide scope of optometric practice and I do pretty much anything I want to do. I have a good network of comanaging surgeons who are happy to work with me. Yet for many new graduates, I might as well be in North Dakota. I would encourage you all to not be like them, lest you end up miserable like Dr. Treytrey. I've even invited Dr. Treytrey to apply. As yet, he has not. I have also invited him to pass my contact information along to any of the "several brilliantly minded people" he claims to know who feel they were somehow duped into pursuing optometry and are lamenting their "****ty" salaries. As of yet, I have heard from no brilliantly minded people. I'll be sure to keep you updated if I do.

Now....I'm sure the response from Dr. Treytrey will be something along the lines of he can't because he has "family commitments" or something like that. They will come up with a thousand different reasons why "they can't" or why it's going to be impossible for them to do this, that or the other thing. That type of small time thinking and attitude is going to limit them. But it does not have to limit YOU.

Optometry is surprisingly easy to make money in. My practice has grown year over year for several years IN SPITE of competition from commercial locations, online, etc. etc. There is a very simple way to combat all of that. I'll spare you all the details, but I assure you, 1800 contacts and Warby Parker and Opternative and all of that is not competition to my practice. They all just cannibalize off of each other. Can I say that I have NEVER lost a patient to those places? Of course not. But we continue to grow year over year. That's why we're looking to expand.

And before anyone starts in on this....I did NOT come from a rich family. NEITHER of my parents graduated high school. To say that I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood would be generous. Is there something worse than blue collar? Maybe brown collar. Yea....that's where I grew up. No one "gave" me anything.

And I wish I could say that I'm especially brilliant, or that I have some sort of great insight or tremendous business acumen and that has been what made me successful. I can also assure you, I am nothing special. If I can succeed in this business, so can you. Don't let all the negativity get you down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Ok guys....so here's the thing about optometry.....

I would ignore this "treytrey" person entirely EXCEPT for the fact that he does make a semi-legitimate point in the midst of all the rantings that optometry is not a field that you want to take on massive amounts of student debt for. If you think you are going to be in debt more than $200,000 at the end of your training, I would probably not pursue optometry. Choose your undergraduate path wisely.

That being said...you do NOT have to work as a "slave in some corporate dump." There are many well established, professional private practices out there offering good salaries and benefits and full time positions. My own practice included. Now....Dr. Treytrey has accused me of making the position up and I can assure you that I have not. The ad I posted is 100% legitimate. It is posted on several different sites and you can all feel free to visit my office website. My identity on this site is not a secret. I am not anonymous. I can also steer to you any of a half dozen optometric and ophthalmic practices in CT looking for full time employees.

Most new graduates that I meet seem to want to work for ophthalmologists for whatever reason and/or they want to limit themselves geographically to New York City, Boston, So Cal or the "Bay Area." If you are going to limit yourselves to those areas, you may well have more trouble. I do not practice in the middle of nowhere. I am not in rural Nebraska or North Dakota. I practice in Connecticut, halfway between New York City and Boston, both of which are easily accessible. The community I practice in has great schools, reasonable cost of living and easy access to any culture, dining, sporting, night life, world class hospitals, etc. etc. that you want. I'm half an hour from the water. Connecticut has a wide scope of optometric practice and I do pretty much anything I want to do. I have a good network of comanaging surgeons who are happy to work with me. Yet for many new graduates, I might as well be in North Dakota. I would encourage you all to not be like them, lest you end up miserable like Dr. Treytrey. I've even invited Dr. Treytrey to apply. As yet, he has not. I have also invited him to pass my contact information along to any of the "several brilliantly minded people" he claims to know who feel they were somehow duped into pursuing optometry and are lamenting their "****ty" salaries. As of yet, I have heard from no brilliantly minded people. I'll be sure to keep you updated if I do.

Now....I'm sure the response from Dr. Treytrey will be something along the lines of he can't because he has "family commitments" or something like that. They will come up with a thousand different reasons why "they can't" or why it's going to be impossible for them to do this, that or the other thing. That type of small time thinking and attitude is going to limit them. But it does not have to limit YOU.

Optometry is surprisingly easy to make money in. My practice has grown year over year for several years IN SPITE of competition from commercial locations, online, etc. etc. There is a very simple way to combat all of that. I'll spare you all the details, but I assure you, 1800 contacts and Warby Parker and Opternative and all of that is not competition to my practice. They all just cannibalize off of each other. Can I say that I have NEVER lost a patient to those places? Of course not. But we continue to grow year over year. That's why we're looking to expand.

And before anyone starts in on this....I did NOT come from a rich family. NEITHER of my parents graduated high school. To say that I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood would be generous. Is there something worse than blue collar? Maybe brown collar. Yea....that's where I grew up. No one "gave" me anything.

And I wish I could say that I'm especially brilliant, or that I have some sort of great insight or tremendous business acumen and that has been what made me successful. I can also assure you, I am nothing special. If I can succeed in this business, so can you. Don't let all the negativity get you down.
I love u man! U really inspired me to keep going with my dreams and to ignore all the hate. This treytrey guy needs some love guess life was mean to him lol. Ur post is very encouraging and yeah I believe opt is not to hard to pursue and to make money. Becoming an opt was it hard? Like the clases and opto school? Can I hear from ur experience?

I love u man! U really inspired me to keep going with my dreams and to ignore all the hate. This treytrey guy needs some love guess life was mean to him lol. Ur post is very encouraging and yeah I believe opt is not to hard to pursue and to make money. Becoming an opt was it hard? Like the clases and opto school? Can I hear from ur experience?

I can try to answer questions but if I'm going to do that, I need you to attempt to use complete words and sentences instead of that weird, middle school texting lingo.

Yes it was hard.

Reactions: 6 users
I can try to answer questions but if I'm going to do that, I need you to attempt to use complete words and sentences instead of that weird, middle school texting lingo.

Yes it was hard.

I guess if it makes it easier and FYI I'm a high schooler

Yes it was hard.

What advice would other people that wants to be in this profession? How was under grad work? Like was it mostly lectures, homework, etc... Which was the hardest class you took? What was gap in under grad and in grad school? How did u prepare your self for tests in college and in grad? What did u get on your oat? How did u study and prepared for it? What was it like on that day? Was the optometry path worth it and did it challenged you? Would you say it's easier or like med school? If you can answer these if would be nice!!

What advice would other people that wants to be in this profession?

For a high schooler I would recommend focusing on your studies, getting into an undergraduate institution that will work for you and perhaps doing a bit of shadowing of a few local optometrists. Don't put the car too far before the horse.

How was under grad work? Like was it mostly lectures, homework, etc...

A large amount of lectures and homework to start and then work in the clinic doing exams under supervision.

Which was the hardest class you took?
In undergraduate, analytical chemistry. In optometry school, something called clinical medicine.

What was gap in under grad and in grad school?

Don't remember. I did undergraduate in Canada and the scale was different. I think what I had would convert to something like 3.3 here. In optometry school, don't remember. We didn't really keep track. The top ten students in my graduating class received medals at graduation. I didn't get one so I assume I wasn't in the top 10 of my class. lol

How did u prepare your self for tests in college and in grad?

You have to find what works for you. For me, reading things over and over again and doing lots of practice problems helped. I ALWAYS attended class. I never was one to ditch though I know some people who did that and were successful.

What did u get on your oat?

Don't remember. 360 rings a bell. Maybe 370. Is it out of 400?

How did u study and prepared for it?

I studied very little for it. Mostly memorized physics and chemistry formulas.

What was it like on that day?

The only thing I really remember is that we took it in a building at my university in the middle of February on a Saturday during a blizzard and they had the building set to weekend heat mode and forgot that we would be there so it was 55 degrees the whole time. They allowed us to wear jackets which was technically not supposed to be allowed. It was damn cold. lol Another thing I remember (don't know if this applies today) is that they key to success is to work quickly. Most of the questions aren't hard but there are a LOT of them and the people that did well were the ones who answered most if not all of the questions. The ones that persevered on most questions to be ABSOLUTELY sure they were correct did not do as well.

Was the optometry path worth it and did it challenged you?

Was worth it for me and I've realized all of my personal and professional goals.

Would you say it's easier or like med school? If you can answer these if would be nice!!

Don't know. Never been to medical school though I imagine that most classes in medical school are probably somewhat harder.

This isn't the baby boom generation......you don't get extra compensation due to higher education only. Attack need, demand, and capitalism. That's how you make money and survive.
Agree with OP. $90k is laughable as a dentist working 4 or more days a week. Where do you even get that figure ?

Reactions: 1 users
For a high schooler I would recommend focusing on your studies, getting into an undergraduate institution that will work for you and perhaps doing a bit of shadowing of a few local optometrists. Don't put the car too far before the horse.

A large amount of lectures and homework to start and then work in the clinic doing exams under supervision.

In undergraduate, analytical chemistry. In optometry school, something called clinical medicine.

Don't remember. I did undergraduate in Canada and the scale was different. I think what I had would convert to something like 3.3 here. In optometry school, don't remember. We didn't really keep track. The top ten students in my graduating class received medals at graduation. I didn't get one so I assume I wasn't in the top 10 of my class. lol

You have to find what works for you. For me, reading things over and over again and doing lots of practice problems helped. I ALWAYS attended class. I never was one to ditch though I know some people who did that and were successful.

Don't remember. 360 rings a bell. Maybe 370. Is it out of 400?

I studied very little for it. Mostly memorized physics and chemistry formulas.

The only thing I really remember is that we took it in a building at my university in the middle of February on a Saturday during a blizzard and they had the building set to weekend heat mode and forgot that we would be there so it was 55 degrees the whole time. They allowed us to wear jackets which was technically not supposed to be allowed. It was damn cold. lol Another thing I remember (don't know if this applies today) is that they key to success is to work quickly. Most of the questions aren't hard but there are a LOT of them and the people that did well were the ones who answered most if not all of the questions. The ones that persevered on most questions to be ABSOLUTELY sure they were correct did not do as well.

Was worth it for me and I've realized all of my personal and professional goals.

Don't know. Never been to medical school though I imagine that most classes in medical school are probably somewhat harder.

Thanks for taking your time for replying!! ;)

So the main point that treytrey is trying to make is that he is unhappy with the amount of student debt and career pay. That brings up a huge question - why didn't he research this beforehand? Before you commit yourself to a four-year institution and career, you should always do the proper research. If he was surprised by the huge price tag after he started, maybe he is one of those silver spoon-fed children that he mentioned and was cut off by his parents. Each college has the information on the website and goes over it during interview day...

Feel free to apply.

That seems to be a great opportunity! A good amount of patients daily with lots of toys. I would be interested but I haven't even started optometry school yet :(

Also, great to see a medically-oriented practice. Much more interesting than just refractions all the time.

KHE

You've stated your position against half of treytrey's argument ("you do NOT have to work as a "slave in some corporate dump.") but you've ignored the other half.

What is your opinion when he says someone going into dentistry (pharmacy/therapy etc.) will be better off than the same person going into optometry? Do you agree with this or not?

Is dentistry > optometry (as treytrey says) or do u believe optometry > dentistry? Or are they equal?

Reactions: 1 users
KHE

You've stated your position against half of treytrey's argument ("you do NOT have to work as a "slave in some corporate dump.") but you've ignored the other half.

What is your opinion when he says someone going into dentistry (pharmacy/therapy etc.) will be better off than the same person going into optometry? Do you agree with this or not?

Is dentistry > optometry (as treytrey says) or do u believe optometry > dentistry? Or are they equal?

I don't know enough about dentistry. I do not know what the average tuition at dental schools are nor do I know what the average cost of opening, acquiring or running a dental practice is. It is probably true that a dental school graduate is going to start out at a higher salary than an optometry school grad in almost all cases.

Is that an argument to pursue dentistry? Don't know. That's something people have to decide for themselves. I'm not sure what my dentist makes although his practice seems to be similar in size and scale to mine and it seems like he makes more money than I do. I guess I'd like to make what he does. However, I do like the fact that my back is not destroyed from leaning over patients all day working in their filthy mouths and I like the fact that my patients don't view my office as an expensive torture chamber.

Here's salary data for dentists on a website called Payscale. I have no idea how accurate this website is. I just did a quick and dirty search.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Dentist/Salary

It says the median salary for a dentist is $124,516.

Here's the same website for optometry:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Optometrist/Salary

It says the median salary for an optometrist is 99,698 but that the average for self employed optometrists is over $176,000. I will also say that our previous associate with production bonus made more than the average salary of dentists quoted on that website.

I think the key scenario in both cases, whether you pursue optometry, dentistry or for that matter butcher, baker or candlestick maker......try to work for yourselves.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know about dentistry either but I made my post to point out that you discounted everything he said except the "semi-legitimate" massive debt issue ("I would ignore this "treytrey" person entirely EXCEPT for the fact that he does make a semi-legitimate point in the midst of all the rantings that optometry is not a field that you want to take on massive amounts of student debt for.").

You really can't ignore as much as you did, given that you didn't make a case against dentistry being better than optometry.

Just my $0.02.

I don't know about dentistry either but I made my post to point out that you discounted everything he said except the "semi-legitimate" massive debt issue ("I would ignore this "treytrey" person entirely EXCEPT for the fact that he does make a semi-legitimate point in the midst of all the rantings that optometry is not a field that you want to take on massive amounts of student debt for.").

You really can't ignore as much as you did, given that you didn't make a case against dentistry being better than optometry.

Just my $0.02.

The thing is, dentistry and optometry are two completely different fields. You can't just choose based on which one makes more money, or which one you will come out having to pay less debt for. The one that's 'better' is the one that is better for YOU. I have three dentists in my family and believe me, what they do isn't easy (they said so themselves). Someone might choose dentistry over optometry for the pay but may end up hating their job because of the hours, breaking your back working all day, or simply because working on people's teeth doesn't make them happy. Bottom line - find a career you LOVE: do your research, shadow, and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just my $0.02.

I'm not trying to make a case for dentistry or for optometry or for software engineering or for anything.

I think most of what he said was incredibly over the top and not accurate. You can easily make more than what he's talking about yet he makes it sounds like all new graduates are doomed to making 87k with massive amounts of debt as a corporate slave in a "trashcan career" unless you have a "rich daddy" pay for everything. I am here to tell you that that is not so.

But it's really no matter. I wouldn't be surprised if that's Jason K making up another account and just rehashing the same old tired attacks on the field. We see that periodically on here. A new member creates an account and immediately begins making the same old statements under the guise of "helping students" but the reality is is that it's away to assuage his own lamentable situation which could easily be corrected but as always, they will come up with 1000 reasons why something isn't possible or why they can't do it. We all know people like that.

Again....I offered him and any of the "several brilliantly minded people" he claims he knows to get in touch with me if he or they would like a full time job in a professional environment making six figures with benefits in a place easily accessible to world class culture, dining, night life, arts, sports etc. etc.

I have yet to hear from him or any of his brilliantly minded people.

The thing is, dentistry and optometry are two completely different fields. You can't just choose based on which one makes more money, or which one you will come out having to pay less debt for.

True. But it's not like the choice is between archaeology and nuclear physics. It's between OD and DDS. If you're a good biology science student, and you're interested in a doctoral health care profession (doesn't that include nearly 100% of all science undergrads?), then your choice will come to a small handful of professions, two of which are OD and DDS (and most certainly OD and MD, which in this thread, could be used interchangeably for DDS). I would think that anyone considering one type of doctoral health career will consider the (only) other 3 or 4 that are available. How many different doctoral professional forums are there here? I think I can count them on one hand, and certainly two. So they are "completely different", but in fact, they are about as close as two unrelated professions as you will get. They are filled with the SAME undergraduate students.

find a career you LOVE: do your research, shadow, and you will be fine.

This is so laughable. So your answer to the current job market is that we all hold hands, sing kumbaya, and everything will be OK? There are a lot of well intentioned, well motivated, informed, knowledgeable people in all walks of live who fail in the tasks they pursue. If you don't believe this, then go over to the pre-med forums and tell everyone that you're sure they'll all become MDs because their hearts and minds are in the right place. There is no "rule" that guarantees that people with good hearts who want to become successful doctors will become successful doctors. If there is, then show it to me. We have a term for what you are saying. It's called wishful thinking.

The thing is, dentistry and optometry are two completely different fields. You can't just choose based on which one makes more money, or which one you will come out having to pay less debt for. The one that's 'better' is the one that is better for YOU. I have three dentists in my family and believe me, what they do isn't easy (they said so themselves). Someone might choose dentistry over optometry for the pay but may end up hating their job because of the hours, breaking your back working all day, or simply because working on people's teeth doesn't make them happy. Bottom line - find a career you LOVE: do your research, shadow, and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Exactly I'm with u on this

Just my $0.02.

Ur profile name is opticgal isn't u with optometry? What's with all these extra stuff lol

I'm not trying to make a case for dentistry or for optometry or for software engineering or for anything.

Honestly, I think you haven't made the case that optometry > dentistry/engineering/anything is because you can't. At the very least, salary stats are on his side. You've already walked back your previous position (only one thing is "semi-legitimate"), to what you just said here.

I believe a lot of what treytrey says. I believe it when he says 23 people applied for one 75K position. Why? Because I've been in hiring and hiree positions in recent times and those numbers are conceivable to me. Does that mean that ALL 75K jobs get 23 applicants? Or that there are no jobs for 100K? No. But do I believe there are ODs out there who have trouble finding work/underemployed/not making ends meet? Hell yeah. Do I believe that employers know they can offer increasingly lower wages because there are increasingly desperate ODs willing to work for less and less? Hell yeah. That's the basic premise of supply and demand and right now, in many places, there's a lot of supply.

A current "expanding" optical chain in Canada (https://fyidoctors.com/) uses a set formula to assign pay for everyone (owner OD, associate OD, staff) across all their locations in Canada. The pay scale is non-negotiable. You take it or leave it. Associate ODs make 21% of all their billing. I personally don't like to criticize an absolute earnings number, as what you end up taking home will depend on volume, and perhaps the volume will be good. But 21%? How much would you have to work in a day to just make (say) $500 (CDN)? Who wouldn't get burned out by that percentage? Unless every single patient was private pay, buying two pairs of PALs with AR and Transitions, you'd be up to your neck in work just to break a couple hundred bucks. But fyidoctors manages to hire Associate ODs all across Canada. Why? Because they know that even at "just" 21% pay, there are ODs who will still agree to work with them. And why is that? It's because it's a job, and having a job beats not having one.

I recently chatted with an fyiDoc owner looking to hire an associate OD. He had many many inquiries. He singled out the resumes of two individuals, a male and female, for interview. These two docs were incredible. They were the type that you'd hire in a heartbeat, just based on their resume without ever having met them. We are talking legitimate academic, non-academic, professional, and non-professional accolades and excellence in every facet of their lives. And only one of them would get hired. For a job that would pay 21%. True story.

So yes, not everyone has a 100K job to walk into. As aside, once you've been out a few years and get your life going, 100K really isn't that much.

True. But it's not like the choice is between archaeology and nuclear physics. It's between OD and DDS. If you're a good biology science student, and you're interested in a doctoral health care profession (doesn't that include nearly 100% of all science undergrads?), then your choice will come to a small handful of professions, two of which are OD and DDS (and most certainly OD and MD, which in this thread, could be used interchangeably for DDS). I would think that anyone considering one type of doctoral health career will consider the (only) other 3 or 4 that are available. How many different doctoral professional forums are there here? I think I can count them on one hand, and certainly two. So they are "completely different", but in fact, they are about as close as two unrelated professions as you will get. They are filled with the SAME undergraduate students.

This is so laughable. So your answer to the current job market is that we all hold hands, sing kumbaya, and everything will be OK? There are a lot of well intentioned, well motivated, informed, knowledgeable people in all walks of live who fail in the tasks they pursue. If you don't believe this, then go over to the pre-med forums and tell everyone that you're sure they'll all become MDs because their hearts and minds are in the right place. There is no "rule" that guarantees that people with good hearts who want to become successful doctors will become successful doctors. If there is, then show it to me. We have a term for what you are saying. It's called wishful thinking.

No. That's why I said "do your research". If someone genuinely interested in the field thinks they'll struggle as an Optometrist (which I thought at first by reading forums like this) then shadow/interview a few optometrists to gain some insight for yourself, especially ones that recently graduated. I did this with both new graduates and Optometrists who have been working in the field for decades. I have never once been discouraged to go into this field by any of them. One optometrist in particular graduated in 2015 and found a stable job in one of the nicest areas in DC/MD/VA with no problem. It's your attitude about it. Many of her colleagues have had this experience too. My ophthalmologist even told me to go into Optometry; the ones he works with only have positive things to say. If even AFTER interviewing/shadowing/getting experience you realize it's not for you, then look elsewhere!

As for the job market, trust me, dentistry is also becoming very saturated. The competition is never ending. I have a friend who's had to open up an office in the middle of no where to get a business going. So do your research there too.

Yes, share your experiences and challenges as a healthcare professional so people are aware of them, but to entirely discourage and shut down people who are genuinely interested in your field is irresponsible.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think you haven't made the case that optometry > dentistry/engineering/anything is because you can't. At the very least, salary stats are on his side. You've already walked back your previous position (only one thing is "semi-legitimate"), to what you just said here.

I believe a lot of what treytrey says. I believe it when he says 23 people applied for one 75K position. Why? Because I've been in hiring and hiree positions in recent times and those numbers are conceivable to me. Does that mean that ALL 75K jobs get 23 applicants? Or that there are no jobs for 100K? No. But do I believe there are ODs out there who have trouble finding work/underemployed/not making ends meet? Hell yeah. Do I believe that employers know they can offer increasingly lower wages because there are increasingly desperate ODs willing to work for less and less? Hell yeah. That's the basic premise of supply and demand and right now, in many places, there's a lot of supply.

A current "expanding" optical chain in Canada (https://fyidoctors.com/) uses a set formula to assign pay for everyone (owner OD, associate OD, staff) across all their locations in Canada. The pay scale is non-negotiable. You take it or leave it. Associate ODs make 21% of all their billing. I personally don't like to criticize an absolute earnings number, as what you end up taking home will depend on volume, and perhaps the volume will be good. But 21%? How much would you have to work in a day to just make (say) $500 (CDN)? Who wouldn't get burned out by that percentage? Unless every single patient was private pay, buying two pairs of PALs with AR and Transitions, you'd be up to your neck in work just to break a couple hundred bucks. But fyidoctors manages to hire Associate ODs all across Canada. Why? Because they know that even at "just" 21% pay, there are ODs who will still agree to work with them. And why is that? It's because it's a job, and having a job beats not having one.

I recently chatted with an fyiDoc owner looking to hire an associate OD. He had many many inquiries. He singled out the resumes of two individuals, a male and female, for interview. These two docs were incredible. They were the type that you'd hire in a heartbeat, just based on their resume without ever having met them. We are talking legitimate academic, non-academic, professional, and non-professional accolades and excellence in every facet of their lives. And only one of them would get hired. For a job that would pay 21%. True story.

So yes, not everyone has a 100K job to walk into. As aside, once you've been out a few years and get your life going, 100K really isn't that much.

So ur saying ur not happy with ur life. Well every job has its pros and cons. Would u rather be filling pills for more money the rest of ur life so repetitive! U knew what we're getting ur self into. Maybe in the future optometry will get better just as pharmacy so wait it out or open ur own place

My takeaway for any observers/preopts etc.

The job market can be tough in certain areas, particularly if you are from a big city. I don't believe there is necessarily a 100K starting job available to you as long as you have a good attitude and are willing to work somewhere not named NYC or San Francisco. I don't believe everyone can make it in "high end" private practice just because they want to.

I believe some people are having a very tough go at making a career in optometry. I believe that some people are in the "worst case scenario" that treytrey describes. I don't believe his worst case scenario describes all ODs that are in bad shape, but does it describe SOME ODs who are in bad shape? Yes I think so.

I also believe that some people are doing very well in optometry (e.g. >175K). I think they would also be the exception for someone coming right out of school. As for finding a good job - there is some luck involved, and it requires more than just having a good "personality". There are good optometry jobs out there, but you can't just expect to get one. I have a relative of a friend who is graduating this year and returning to Canada. My friend has asked me to help this person find work. The message that came over from this person, was that this person already had a long list of places/scenarios he didn't want to work for. I'm like - I know what type of job this person wants, and his expectations aren't realistic. Heck, MY job isn't even as good as what he is looking to get.

There are good jobs and bad jobs in optometry. They will get filled. You have to be open the possibility that you may fill some of them.

My takeaway for any observers/preopts etc.

The job market can be tough in certain areas, particularly if you are from a big city. I don't believe there is necessarily a 100K starting job available to you as long as you have a good attitude and are willing to work somewhere not named NYC or San Francisco. I don't believe everyone can make it in "high end" private practice just because they want to.

I believe some people are having a very tough go at making a career in optometry. I believe that some people are in the "worst case scenario" that treytrey describes. I don't believe his worst case scenario describes all ODs that are in bad shape, but does it describe SOME ODs who are in bad shape? Yes I think so.

I also believe that some people are doing very well in optometry (e.g. >175K). I think they would also be the exception for someone coming right out of school. As for finding a good job - there is some luck involved, and it requires more than just having a good "personality". There are good optometry jobs out there, but you can't just expect to get one. I have a relative of a friend who is graduating this year and returning to Canada. My friend has asked me to help this person find work. The message that came over from this person, was that this person already had a long list of places/scenarios he didn't want to work for. I'm like - I know what type of job this person wants, and his expectations aren't realistic. Heck, MY job isn't even as good as what he is looking to get.

There are good jobs and bad jobs in optometry. They will get filled. You have to be open the possibility that you may fill some of them.

Well shoot someone has to do the job without eye doctors all of things would go wrong. Yeah u may not be coming or making a lot like a surgeon or Dentist because it's different. If u really loved this money shouldn't be ur big concern unless ur still in debt. Not Just optometry will make u in debt Med school also. There are places where optometry score the highest in like Connecticut so it all depends on a lot of factors

I'm just kidding. Optometry is a jolly easy career where you get paid 150k+ right out the door. Go on kids, go ahead and become an optometrist, however many years down the line come back here and thank me :^).