Step 2 CK lower than Step 1, release for rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayim2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unable to find anyone who can provide an answer to this problem, or how to obtain a solution, it may be program dependent, wondering if anyone has any tips.

I have not seen similar threads in the IM sub forum within the last few years, although it seems the Radiology and Anes forums have discussed this situation before.

Step 1 - 255 (91st percentile) - released
Step 2 - 248 (59-69th percentile) - not released
Step 2 cs - passed, not released

Source - http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/transcripts/USMLE_Step_Examination_Score_Interpretation_Guidelines.pdf

I am applying into IM. Will it hurt more to release my step 2, which dropped significantly in percentile or to sit tight and allow programs to rank me without knowledge of my Step 2 ck or cs scores.

Is there a method to determine the best course of action for the programs I am most interested in? Seems difficult to obtain this information in a sensitive manner.

thank you for your help, I am sure I am not alone in this situation!

Members don't see this ad.

I am unable to find anyone who can provide an answer to this problem, or how to obtain a solution, it may be program dependent, wondering if anyone has any tips.

I have not seen similar threads in the IM sub forum within the last few years, although it seems the Radiology and Anes forums have discussed this situation before.

Step 1 - 255 (91st percentile) - released
Step 2 - 248 (59-69th percentile) - not released
Step 2 cs - passed, not released

Source - http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/transcripts/USMLE_Step_Examination_Score_Interpretation_Guidelines.pdf

I am applying into IM. Will it hurt more to release my step 2, which dropped significantly in percentile or to sit tight and allow programs to rank me without knowledge of my Step 2 ck or cs scores.

Is there a method to determine the best course of action for the programs I am most interested in? Seems difficult to obtain this information in a sensitive manner.

thank you for your help, I am sure I am not alone in this situation!
Just be aware that some programs won't rank someone without Step 2 scores. This has been explicitly stated by a number of places I've been to during their interview days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask geographically where? Not one program I have interviewed at, nor classmates that I know have, has this comment ever been mentioned.

It will be fine. Both your step scores are strong. You should release it for most programs anyhow for final ranks (lots of states require you to pass it to be ranked).

FFS neuroticism

look at your effing step scores - you really think you're better off if come Feb when they are ranking people to start in JUNE (we're talking a 4 month gap) that the programs don't have your step 2 CK? You realize that they realize that anyone who hasn't passed Step 2 CK come time for licensing is unemployable, right?

You think doctors ranking you like an unknown like that? They will likely wonder where the f* your scores are, that you either timed things poorly, forgot something, are hiding something, or failed, or just haven't even taken it yet. None of those things are reassuring for a test that has so much turn around time when you need an intern on service in June.

If it wasn't mentioned to you, it's because your Step 1 is reassuring and they likely assumed you had your **** together enough based on just that to pass the darn thing. Will they continue thinking that come Feb when your score isn't in? No one knows which is why you need to release the darn score.

You don't protect the "sanctity" of your Step 1 and the advantages it gave you in the interview offer process by leaving programs empty handed with your Step 2 CK come rank time. Yeah the drop isn't awesome (although with how high the Step 1 was, whatever about that drop) but NOT HAVING A PASSING CK IN FOR RANK TIME IS IDIOTIC.

I dunno. I was late taking the darn thing and I came from a well-regarded med school and I just remember our Dean during advising in June telling me point blank that with no step 2 CK programs would not rank me and I would not match. Period. Maybe they just wanted to scare the bejesus out of me but let's just say I saw to it the damn thing was in.

TLDR
People if having the best strategy really f*ing matters to you at all you will get all 3 parts of the Steps passed and scores in before rank list time
Period

Last edited: