Step 2 CS cancelled (for now)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wait this is confirmed?
According to my inside source that has knowledge of admin's meeting with the NBOME today, yes. The NBOME is refusing to suspend PE and is saying they are 100% certain they will deliver PE starting in July.

Sucks for the 10-20% of DO students who won't have a score back until after rank lists are due...

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
According to my inside source that has knowledge of admin's meeting with the NBOME today, yes. The NBOME is refusing to suspend PE and is saying they are 100% certain they will deliver PE starting in July.

Sucks for the 10-20% of DO students who won't have a score back until after rank lists are due...
They just need to get sued really bad and they'll reconsider.

the nbome also insists that if students don't feel comfortable taking the exam this fall, they shouldn't travel. the only way to truly make the decision to travel for the PE voluntary is to remove any possible advantage that comes with taking it early (i.e. striking it from the official comlex transcript)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Also, I'm assuming if MDs will be applying without CS, there's no reason applying without PE should be a problem.

I don’t have a Step 2 CS score, but I will be competing in the 2021 National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) with peers who do. Will this affect my chances to match in my desired specialty?

"We understand why some residency applicants may be concerned about not having a Step 2 CS result while some of their peers have completed the exam. We will work across undergraduate and graduate medical education as much as possible to encourage schools and programs not to disadvantage applicants who do not have a Step 2 CS result."

^^ how exactly can they enforce this?
A large chunk, i would say close to 80 % of applicants will not have the score. If some PD is idiotic enough to take one applicant who is essentially the same as the other because of a CS pass well then there is not much that anyone can do. I sincerely doubt it will be a huge issue as people are making it out to be. They are essentially giving the class of 21 a pass.

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder what will happen to the US MD students who are on F1 visas and need to be ECFMG certified. There are literally dozens of us!
There is nothing for ECFMG to certify if you went to medical school in the US.

It was my understanding that the only way you obtain a J1 visa is through ECFMG, regardless of whether you are a US MD student or a non-US IMG. I would be very happy if someone could prove otherwise!
But, there is nothing for ECFMG to certify if you went to medical school in the US.... They certify foreign coursework. I've called them before just to make sure there was not something I was missing. But if anyone can prove me wrong, even if it logically does not make sense, I'm all ears.

Also, it is my belief that hospitals are inappropriately abusing the J1 visa. US MD international students should not be regarded as equal to non-US IMGs with regards to visa offerings, but this is a topic for another thread.

Would a PD really care that one applicant had a Pass and another didnt? With 96% passing it seems like a total non-advantage.

But, their move here might portend their move with the P/F and scored dilemma. If they dont report CS status at all to keep the playing field level, I bet they retro convert everyone to P/F for Step 1 too when the time comes.

From what they're saying though, it sounds like it's going to be like all the other "suggestions." AKA, "We're not going to do anything but please don't do this."

That being said, I can't actually see anybody caring about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh please tell me there are lawyers watching the NBOME like hawks and slobbering.

Reactions: 5 users
What happens to those that took it, failed it, were planning on retaking, but now can't? They just apply with a fail on CS?

Can't imagine being in that situation

Reactions: 2 users
In what world is a program not going to rank someone because they haven't taken CS when it's no longer required?

Agreed. I think the bigger issue is the ones who took it and failed and will be applying without a passing score.

Apparently they only care about $$$$. They do not seem to care about impairing a student in the NRMP match.

They also don't care about, you know, spreading the plague. Can't wait to see how many SPs refuse this nonsense.

Agreed. I think the bigger issue is the ones who took it and failed and will be applying without a passing score.

I am unfortunately this individual...How should I find out if my failed score will still be released or not to programs? It is unfair that they will still release my score without an option to retake...I will be pretty punished for this cycle as well as next cycle if I go unmatched...Anyone know which entity I should bring this up to?

I am unfortunately this individual...How should I find out if my failed score will still be released or not to programs? It is unfair that they will still release my score without an option to retake...I will be pretty punished for this cycle as well as next cycle if I go unmatched...Anyone know which entity I should bring this up to?
Maybe you won't have to report it at all.

Are you at a US MD school? If so, talk to your admins.

So covid-19 accomplished more in cancelling CS than the #EndStep2CS and other anti-CS protests!

Yep. Literally need a pandemic to make the NBME do the right thing. Ridiculous.

So if programs won't care about CS or ECFMG certification for IMGs this cycle, then where does that put people with an attempt on their CS? Or if CS is replaced by something else for certification then, again, how will IMGs who have done CS be affected?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using SDN mobile