Step 2 CS January 2019 Score Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlwaysaStudent19

Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread for all those people waiting anxiously for January 30 so we could share in each other's misery...and hopefully make it through.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi
Step 2 cs is my last step and I read that if you try to apply to step 3 on fsmb website and it let you means you passed but didn't work for me yet. Did anyone try that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
Step 2 cs is my last step and I read that if you try to apply to step 3 on fsmb website and it let you means you passed but didn't work for me yet. Did anyone try that?

The FSMB/FCVS trick, the Step 3 Application trick, and the old version of the permit trick seem to no longer indicate if you have passed or failed any of the exams.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question.. How often does an SP ask an AMG to repeat some words during the encounter?

If few SPs ask you to repeat words, does that mean you failed inSEP section?

I have a question.. How often does an SP ask an AMG to repeat some words during the encounter?

If few SPs ask you to repeat words, does that mean you failed inSEP section?

I have a same problem but i asked few sp to repeat the simple words. Waiting for result

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there’s a chance we’d be able to use the FSMB/FCVS trick or the Step 3 trick today but I just checked and I’m having no luck. Anyone having better luck today?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there’s a chance we’d be able to use the FSMB/FCVS trick or the Step 3 trick today but I just checked and I’m having no luck. Anyone having better luck today?

Nothing today. IIRC, some people used the trick on Wednesday morning (before interviews...) and were able to see it. Granted, this was during the prior reporting window so who knows if they patched the software or something idk.

Mine is also blank. Ah.. If we were able to wait this long, what is another 24hrs, right?

Do you guys know do majority of people get the results on the first Wednesday in the reporting period? What percentage?
I don't think I can handle another week or two of waiting..

Step 3 trick might work if you register then look for your usmle trabscript on the website. It worked in December.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why but I'm more nervous about these exam results than any exam I've taken in life thus far! Also is one of the requirements for signing up for step 3 lists having graduated from medical school. Does anyone know if this is actually a requirement?/ Anyone manage to sign up for it during 4th year?

Mine is also blank. Ah.. If we were able to wait this long, what is another 24hrs, right?

Do you guys know do majority of people get the results on the first Wednesday in the reporting period? What percentage?
I don't think I can handle another week or two of waiting..
Didn't people say that if your permit disappears, it means your score will be available that Wednesday?

FCVS did a site revamp it seems and all the tricks have been plugged. Because of the updated site please don't read too deeply into anything this time around.

Why is it so bad for us to find our earlier if we passed or not is beyond me.

If they didn’t update it to fix the early release on the FCVS site under exam transcript, then you should defintetly see it show pass or fail or, if you aren’t getting your score tomorrow, no score. Works for AMGs at least.

I'm like panicking right now. Do I even want to see my score tomorrow potentialy? lol Failing this exam is basically a death sentence right?

Hello everyone, I love you guys. I've been on SDN since the MCAT and this exam has really caused a lot of pain and took a lot of money and this THREAD among many here was critical in getting me to take this exam seriously. If you go to FCVS now you will see your preliminary result. I PASSED. Thank GOD.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know why but I'm more nervous about these exam results than any exam I've taken in life thus far! Also is one of the requirements for signing up for step 3 lists having graduated from medical school. Does anyone know if this is actually a requirement?/ Anyone manage to sign up for it during 4th year?

You are absolutely correct, you need to have graduated from medical school in order to register for Step 3. This option only works for IMGs who are already graduated from school and taking the USMLEs afterwards.

But the FCVS option is still working!! I checked at 1: 15 am New York City time (EST) and my score was up. Thank the lord it was a PASS !!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I can now (as of a little after 1am EST) begin a Step 3 application. I am an IMG who graduated and this was my last exam, seems like a pass, correct? Also, how do you see the FCVS status?? I’m working off an iPad and i cant seem to follow other instructions for FCVS trick.

Pass showed up on FCVS for me as well!

This exam seems to be very forgiving! I really thought I failed!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I can now (as of a little after 1am EST) begin a Step 3 application. I am an IMG who graduated and this was my last exam, seems like a pass, correct? Also, how do you see the FCVS status?? I’m working off an iPad and i cant seem to follow other instructions for FCVS trick.

Sounds like you passed, congrats! If you want confirmation, scroll down to “credentialing services” on the FSMB homepage, click on FCVS, start an application, exit the application, then reenter FCVS, continue the application, go to “Education & Certification” and click on “Exam History”.

Sounds like you passed, congrats! If you want confirmation, scroll down to “credentialing services” on the FSMB homepage, click on FCVS, start an application, exit the application, then reenter FCVS, continue the application, go to “Education & Certification” and click on “Exam History”.

Ok thanks a ton confirmed pass! I was a couple steps in the right direction to finding that page, but I was not seeing the examination history link :)

I too made so many mistakes and wish I could write a good post to put others at ease, but exam day was such a blur now haha...good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Passed. Thank god for FCVS. That exam sucked, and was too stressful during it for fear of making stupid mistakes I wouldn’t otherwise make in real patient encounters.

At least it’s behind now. Good luck everybody!

Passed via fcvs. For me, I was able to start Step 3 application after seeing my pass and I'm AMG M4. But I'm also Md PhD so I dunno if that changes things.
PS: I hated this test. And I hate what they make us go through to become doctors. For those who passed, congrats. Also, everyone, thanks for sharing your emotions and feelings here -- its helped to know we are all in this together. For those who may not have passed, I realize you may be devastated. Please hang in there and keep at it -- you are already a great doctor and just need the stupid NBME to agree.

Hello team! To my anxiety-ridden AMGs and M4s who have your applications submitted and traveled the whole damn country for residency interviews with that one exam weighing on you! Please go ahead and check fcvs and follow Questionarius' directions above to view your results and finally get some sleep. Going into radiology I did a good job avoiding any human contact rotations during my fourth year and by the time I took this exam I hadn't seen a patient in at least 4months......(to those reading this in the future DONT DO THIS). Obviously this poor preparation was a substantial cause of all this anxiety. To those who passed congratulations! I look forward to working with you on wards (ehmmm reading room) and to those who failed. No need to worry, an exam like this will not define you! You have worked this hard and for what it's worth many programs do not even look at it prior to making thier rank list. So just give yourself a week of dedicated study and make this worthless exam your b**ch. God bless you all!

Thank you SDN. This trick means I can go about my clinic day without being distracted by whether or not I passed!

oh my god you guys the FCVS trick is showing that I passed...this is a retake for me and it was like a 3 month wait...I kind of won't really believe this though until I see the real deal. this whole thing was super traumatic tbh.

@CSBigMess the post above from Questionarius explains it succinctly: "If you want confirmation, scroll down to “credentialing services” on the FSMB homepage, click on FCVS, start an application, exit the application, then reenter FCVS, continue the application, go to “Education & Certification” and click on “Exam History”."

Hi everyone, I am an IMG and have already passed Step 1 and Step 2 CK. However, this is my second Step 2 CS failure. (in all three subcomponents which are all well below the borderline) Could anyone please give me some advice on how to prepare for this exam properly? I have seen that there are some highly expensive workshops by AMBOS, XIMEDUS, or KAPLAN that give almost a guarantee to pass the exam (99% passing rate or refund you your money) Do you think these are worth trying? Please any advice or help would be highly appreciated

Hi everyone, I am an IMG and have already passed Step 1 and Step 2 CK. However, this is my second Step 2 CS failure. (in all three subcomponents which are all well below the borderline) Could anyone please give me some advice on how to prepare for this exam properly? I have seen that there are some highly expensive workshops by AMBOS, XIMEDUS, or KAPLAN that give almost a guarantee to pass the exam (99% passing rate or refund you your money) Do you think these are worth trying? Please any advice or help would be highly appreciated

Hey my friend, don't despair, you're not alone. I'm not an IMG, and so I think other IMGs who have passed may have slightly more valuable advice than me. That said, if you're failing in all three categories, you probably want to take a very disciplined approach to FA Step 2 CS (read all the intro materials, practice every one of the 44 practice cases at the back of the book, timed, with a partner, then write a note for each one). Then once you've done that, you could take Kaplan online/in person (that's the only one I've heard anything about or had any experience with). I've heard some pretty good things about their expensive in person course. The framework they outline in their online lectures might be useful before/during your independent first aid practice, though if money is an issue you can find a lot of this advice scattered across the internet (wash your hands, PAM HUGS R FOSS, high yield 'challenge' cases like enuresis or erectile dysfunction), but the videos of acceptable encounters are pretty nice. Again, since you're failing in multiple areas, you might get more out of an expensive, in-person exam simulation if you did this kind of practice before hand. Your written english seems perfect, so I also wonder if there's a language issue that would explain why you're failing all three categories. I'm sure there's a lot written somewhere by IMGs who have gone from failing to passing in the SEP category and how to do that.

A few videos that are available online are also quite helpful, in addition to First Aid. This one for Peds:

And all her videos really help getting a format together for note writing:

Hey guys, how certain are we that the FCVS "Exam History" section is like 100% accurate? It says "Pass" under "Pass/Fail Status" for Step 2 CS for me but I don't want to prematurely celebrate lol.

Hey guys, how certain are we that the FCVS "Exam History" section is like 100% accurate? It says "Pass" under "Pass/Fail Status" for Step 2 CS for me but I don't want to prematurely celebrate lol.
havent heard anyone post later saying the result was different from fcvs. also, it's the website by which you legit register for step 3 so it has to be accurate. on another note, has anyone gotten any email notification of the score report from nbme?

havent heard anyone post later saying the result was different from fcvs. also, it's the website by which you legit register for step 3 so it has to be accurate. on another note, has anyone gotten any email notification of the score report from nbme?

No email yet! Last time for CK, I got the notification email at 1045. Thanks USMLE!

No email yet! Last time for CK, I got the notification email at 1045. Thanks USMLE!
Yeah same I got mine at 10 38 or something. Hope we all get the official score report today and we can end this paranoia...and then start worrying about where we match...

I PASSED THANK GOD IM DONE WITH THIS TEST! CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO PASSED!

As for people who didn’t, I highly recommend taking a class. They’ll hammer out the basics and things that you should always do during any CS encounter. They’re expensive, but I believe that this test has become very difficult. It’s better to dish out money now in order to avoid another attempt.

NBME's being very fritzy for me, but FCVS shows "Pass"

EDIT: All good now and officially passed :) ICE a bit borderline (half the * in gray), but otherwise alright

Last edited:
Can anyone please confirm or deny the rumours that the exams in the Philly center are significantly more difficult than the ones in other centers such as Houston or Atlanta?

Also, confirmed pass. Can't believe I'm done with medical school exams. The CS exam was particularly stupidly stressful because it's so freaking subjective. CK was a breeze in comparison because all you had to do was blast through a few thousand questions and you had no worries. With CS you could have prepped for years and some unknown BS could have screwed you. Ugh.

WHere's that petition at? Lol