Step 2 CS January 2019 Score Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlwaysaStudent19

Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread for all those people waiting anxiously for January 30 so we could share in each other's misery...and hopefully make it through.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
And ONE MORE THING.

The grading for this thing took so freaking long that if you didn't take it anytime before like SEPTEMBER, failing meant you're compromising everything you worked for for four years and potentially not matching. Ughhhhh. Okay /rantover.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all those who get their scores today! If you fail, remember this is just a small hurdle in the long road to getting to where you want!!

Reactions: 1 user
IF you could schedule the exam at Philly or LA, which one would you choose? The rumours that Philly has a lower passing rate, is that correct?

Yep, no score today for me. "Print scheduling permit" still there, and blank FSCV. Took mine on 12/26 at Philly, wonder what the delay means.
Yup, nothing on FSCV and print permit still there for me too. A lot of people from my school who didn't get it the first day last session still passed. Worried that the last day of the score release is 2/20 and if it comes in then, residencies won't have it to rank us

And ONE MORE THING.

The grading for this thing took so freaking long that if you took it anytime before like SEPTEMBER, failing meant you're compromising everything you worked for for four years and potentially not matching. Ughhhhh. Okay /rantover.
Dude I so agree. Literally was the worst worry wise for me for the reasons you've listed. Not sure if the test will get canceled but I think initiatives worth endorsing for practical reasons are the cost and the time to get graded. There was a whole thing on how NBME has steadily increased their profits while the number of testers overall has stayed constant -- but that's probably a longer battle.

That being said, for those who are worrying about failing and would like to hear yet another story of someone's mistakes who ended up passing, here goes. Of note, I had no x's in borderline performance -- my CIS was the lowest and i was about 3 x's away from the gray area.
Mistakes:
1. Ran out of time at the end of case 1 -- had just started closing and discussing my thoughts before running out of time. After that, I finished every case within 1-2 mins of the end.
2. Did not include VS or "well-appearing, NAD" stuff for the first 2-3 cases in my PE
3. Did not wash hands for 1 case. I got stressed and forgot. For another case I did wash my hands (with the purell stuff) but my hands were still wet and i kinda wiped/touched my white coat to get some of the moisture off. My SP did a double take and then went back into character.
4. Awkward encounters -- 2. This is maybe why philly has a bad rep? One SP was being super awkward as part of his role and stated he couldn't understand one my questions -- which was admittedly awkwardly phrased and leading. I just said "oh ok, we can move on". Another SP was deadpan AF playing his character. I got super nervous. Forgot to wash my hands w/ this SP cuz of nervousness (from point 3)
5. All my PE's were floofy at best. Always did heart/lungs auscultation, often abd. if indicated. My neuro exams were cursory -- i think i only checked reflexes on one SP. Forgot neck/thyroid exams on I think everyone -- even when indicated. For musculoskeletal stuff, definitely checked only the affected side. Forgot to pull out leg rest thingy on one pt.
6. Felt like I had very little supporting evidence (PE wise for sure), sometimes HPI for my diagnoses. Felt like I sometimes had really unlikely diagnoses as my second and third. Felt like my notes were short and cursory.
7. Forgot to do cessation advice or w/e it's called for 2 SPs when indicated. People keep stressing about this on SDN, but I did it only for maybe 2-3 SPs overall?

Things I felt I did well:
1. Solidly introduced myself, my role and addressed the pt. by their name at the beginning of the encounter. Ex. "Mr X? I am bla bla bla...". I practiced this in the mirror for some reason the day before...
2. Made good eye contact and responded well to verbal and non-verbal cues. The SP's force some of these cues and respond well and quickly to the expected student's response -- you can tell. I actually did not use my clipboard at all unless it was a medication or number I'd forget. This is just me as I have a good memory of things, but I felt it made me feel more connected to the patient. Def forgot to write some things down as a result in my actual PN, but w/e it worked out.
3. Always asked re: pt's comfort when doing any maneuvers. One time my hands were freezing and the pt. kept wincing. I was like -- are u hurt or are my hands cold? He was like ur hands cold. I was like oh man, i'm sorry and warmed them up a bit.
4. Shared my thoughts in a clear, coherent manner. Paused before stating worrisome diagnoses and followed-up with my level of concern. Asked if the pt. had questions right before my PE (while washing hands) as well as after closure. Some SPs don't have particularly challenging questions -- some do. Always asked "anything else?", "any other q's or concerns?" -- and often times my SPs were like nope that's it and that signified to me they were all set.
5. Not relevant -- but after my last encounter -- my SP kinda broke character and wished me a good day as I was about to leave. Was nice of them.

Hope this is helpful. Most of us will pass you guys. Hang in there.

Just further confirming fcvs "trick" is real. Didn't get an email but just checked the NBME site and confirmed Pass consistent with what fcvs said. AMG here

Yup, nothing on FSCV and print permit still there for me too. A lot of people from my school who didn't get it the first day last session still passed. Worried that the last day of the score release is 2/20 and if it comes in then, residencies won't have it to rank us
I think in general for AMG, programs are less worried about requiring a passing step 2 cs score for their ROL, but who knows these days. I just hope I pass this damn test to graduate/match on time.

And ONE MORE THING.

The grading for this thing took so freaking long that if you took it anytime before like SEPTEMBER, failing meant you're compromising everything you worked for for four years and potentially not matching. Ughhhhh. Okay /rantover.
Add to the fact that scheduling it for when you need to take it and the desired location is incredibly difficult with dates filling up months in advance. Surprised that the Med Schools don't band together and work to eliminate it instead of some student petition.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations everyone! Is the correct way to send this to programs through the "resend my scores" link in the additional documents section of ERAS?

Congratulations everyone! Is the correct way to send this to programs through the "resend my scores" link in the additional documents section of ERAS?

Yes! Took maybe an hour to have it successfully uploaded, but can take up to 5 business days!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Took maybe an hour to have it successfully uploaded, but can take up to 5 business days!
If you press "resend scores" does it automatically send the newest exam (in this case CS) or do you have to upload the newest result or something?

If you press "resend scores" does it automatically send the newest exam (in this case CS) or do you have to upload the newest result or something?

All you have to do is select "Resend Scores" and it will automatically send the CS score!

IF you could schedule the exam at Philly or LA, which one would you choose? The rumours that Philly has a lower passing rate, is that correct?

Not correct.

This is a standardized exam. They would certainly notice if there have been a discrepancy in passing rates between the centers, and would fix the issue.

Took mine in Philly and all patients were super nice. I made so many mistakes, and ended up passing.

All you have to do is select "Resend Scores" and it will automatically send the CS score!

I passed! Whew, I had literal nightmares about my Dean of Student Affairs sending me a personalized email saying I failed and need to remediate....

Also, I resent my scores. Should I email the PD with the update? I really want my #1 to know I passed. It's a program that needs to have a passing score before ranking

I passed! Whew, I had literal nightmares about my Dean of Student Affairs sending me a personalized email saying I failed and need to remediate....

Also, I resent my scores. Should I email the PD with the update? I really want my #1 to know I passed. It's a program that needs to have a passing score before ranking
I dont think its necessarily that important. They probably expected you to pass and telling them you passed really is not a significant 'update' to your application.

So does this FSMB/FCVS trick actually work? Is it possible I may actually see whether I passed on there sooner than next Wednesday?

So does this FSMB/FCVS trick actually work? Is it possible I may actually see whether I passed on there sooner than next Wednesday?
Everyone seems to be reporting that it works at midnight on Wednesday the earliest now, so no you wouldn't be able to.

It seems to me that the permit thing works for US students only. I'm international graduate, I received my scores this past Wednesday and my permit link is still there.

We should all know soon enough... I keep checking fcvs even though reasonably I know it will be midnight at the earliest. Good luck all!

We should all know soon enough... I keep checking fcvs even though reasonably I know it will be midnight at the earliest. Good luck all!
I am doing the exact same thing! Do we know if it is midnight Eastern time? Last week people were reporting their Pass on FSCV after 1 AM.