Step 2cs December 2018 score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMG 4th year here. Decided to start this for anyone stressing during the ridiculous waiting period for step 2 cs! I made a post about some of the things I did wrong, then deleted it because no one can tell me if I failed or not. Also, people telling me to not stress because I will more than likely pass was also not helpful as we all know someone who “surprisingly” failed. I’ve been losing sleep since test day since at this point I’m convinced there’s no way I passed and wishing I can just take it over one more time. Also really bummed about continuing interviews at this point. So for anyone in my position, you’re not alone! here’s to positive thinking and relaxing thoughts until dec 12 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
7xs to the left in ICE

You must’ve barely barely failed then because I saw someone with 6 x’s and they got pass. I know this doesn’t really help but I hope it gives you some encouragement that you are not super far off from passing. A bit more practice in the right areas and you will for sure pass.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You must’ve barely barely failed then because I saw someone with 6 x’s and they got pass. I know this doesn’t really help but I hope it gives you some encouragement that you are not super far off from passing. A bit more practice in the right areas and you will for sure pass.

Shld I ask them to re score it? I don’t knw wats close/far to passing in the score report even...Like y is this exam such a mystery. FML

Shld I ask them to re score it? I don’t knw wats close/far to passing in the score report even...Like y is this exam such a mystery. FML

That’s the thing because I heard by the time you get your score recheck you should have already taken the exam so there’s not really any point. I suppose if you were not going to retake it this cycle it wouldn’t hurt but it takes so long for a restore that it usually isn’t worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG doing med 3 and 4 in the US: Passed first attempt even though I thought I messed up a lot.

First thing is time, I practiced for about 10 days with everything timed and was still caught off guard. I type super fast and I was in auto pilot for all the notes yet for one missed the whole physical exam part (I started with ddx, workup, hpi, PE) and like 3 others I ran out of time as I was in the middle of typing the PE. Now with the SPs and time. I ran out of time for one station in the middle of my neuro exam (I wasted so much time doing so much in the PE's, my advice is to focus it down). 3 times I got cut off as I was counselling. 3 stations I was getting nothing from the SPs just vague symptoms but my histories in those were strong as I covered as many ddxs as I could and I thought I had pretty decent ddxs in the end in my note. Forgot to do SLR test for back pain, didn't do special maneuvers for MSKT station. I personally try to show the patient empathy at least twice but overall I felt I didn't connect that well with many of the SPs. Oh also forgot to wash my hands once. Every single station I would finish at 14-15 mins, consistently was the last to start the note but practice and typing fast is the key. Thankful I passed and to still be able to match this year.

for anyone who failed PM me for any advice I feel your struggle and I took it with a friend who failed first time and passed second attempt after our practice together. Will gladly share our plan and how studied.

Love and respect to everyone on this journey, its been quite the ride with these boards.

Reactions: 2 users
Failed ICE... I thght I had right dxs, ran out of time wiriting the note couple times tho. Did the right physical exams... back pain - straight leg raise test. Mini mental for any depression/fatigue. I wrote my mini mental findings in my HPI. I’m still kinda lost. wrote GA and VS in the note too. I got one “x” in the above performance. Rest was borderline to low.

Sorry to hear this, just wanted to say for next time just use SIGECAPS for depression screen its much quicker. Also for fatigue u need to have a list of DDxs in your head before u enter, for example Anemia, thyroid, depression then go in and ask about them.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys, appreciate all the help! Tbh idgaf any more if a hosp ain’t gonna accept me cause of some trouble with CS. It’s truly humbling and awesome to see strangers help pick a fellow student up. Indeed we have some amazing future docs in this group. Please be future residency directors as well lol.

On a mission to keep practicing and passing this exam soon! Cheers

Reactions: 11 users
If i take exam in the last week of exam period (exp on 22nd of 1st-26th jan period ) . what %chances are tht I’ll get my result on first Wednesday of reporting period.
Any exam takers who got their results on first Wednesday plz do share ur exam period.

If i take exam in the last week of exam period (exp on 22nd of 1st-26th jan period ) . what %chances are tht I’ll get my result on first Wednesday of reporting period.
Any exam takers who got their results on first Wednesday plz do share ur exam period.

Nobody can really tell you that. The score reports its totally random.

Three friends (US MD, who knows if it matters or not, perhaps IMG's may be different) all got it on the first day of reporting periods in June, August, and October. So seems like the most common occurrence. @Safa10

It doesn't matter which day you take it. People who take it the first day in the period can get it at the very last, and vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody who has done the FCVS trick - any insight on my situation?

exam date 12/12, score report window 1/30-2/20

on FCVS, used to say status undetermined for CS, but now is just blank, no longer says undetermined. Permit still up on nbme page. Anybody with experience with this?

on FCVS, used to say status undetermined for CS, but now is just blank, no longer says undetermined. Permit still up on nbme page. Anybody with experience with this?

I don't have any experience with this and CS, but my CK score on FCVS went from 'Undetermined' yesterday, to 'Pass' this morning, and now it is just blank. I don't know what that means, but take that for what you will. It seems like two others with a pending test score also went from 'undetermined' to blank on FCVS based on what I've seen on reddit.

I can tell you that my NBME permit went down before the Sunday I received my CS score and that my 'Pass' showed up on FCVS site on the Monday before I got my official score on Wednesday.

Same situation, status is blank now, permit still up. Hopefully this means we both will be getting scores on the 30th!

They are catching on to our tricks
This is my concern as well. I hope the people who are getting their scores keep us updated. On Reddit, there was someone who believes they were down for a bit and now are back up because he got his score now.

This is my concern as well. I hope the people who are getting their scores keep us updated. On Reddit, there was someone who believes they were down for a bit and now are back up because he got his score now.
How did he/she just get their score now? On the USMLE site it says Reporting ended Jan 9th and will resume Jan 30th

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help! Tbh idgaf any more if a hosp ain’t gonna accept me cause of some trouble with CS. It’s truly humbling and awesome to see strangers help pick a fellow student up. Indeed we have some amazing future docs in this group. Please be future residency directors as well lol.

On a mission to keep practicing and passing this exam soon! Cheers
Have you rescheduled your exam yet? Would like to know how you're going about your retake because I'm in the same exact position. Thanks

So I took step 2 CS and barely failed the ICE portion. Looking for a SP( Preferably someone who took the exam, passed ICE but failed the CIS, since I did well in CIS) so we can help each other pass this time around. Exam in 3 weeks!

Also, can people who passed the ICE on second attempt please tell us what they did differently? Please help us!

So I took step 2 CS and barely failed the ICE portion. Looking for a SP( Preferably someone who took the exam, passed ICE but failed the CIS, since I did well in CIS) so we can help each other pass this time around. Exam in 3 weeks!

Also, can people who passed the ICE on second attempt please tell us what they did differently? Please help us!

What did you use to study

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

First aid

There’s this basic format on reddit I used and I passed the ice with a decent amount of cushion. It’s a format you can use for every single encounter. Once you have that down I would just go through first aid another time and just practice cases with someone who reads first aid on their end to know how to answer your questions.

There’s this basic format on reddit I used and I passed the ice with a decent amount of cushion. It’s a format you can use for every single encounter. Once you have that down I would just go through first aid another time and just practice cases with someone who reads first aid on their end to know how to answer your questions.

ok. Thanks. Please can you remember the format? or send a link?

Search USMLE step two CS blue sheet on YouTube and use that on every patient I found it very helpful

Yeah. My CIS is really borderline. 2 xx on the left side of grey zone, 3xxx on the right of it. Rest all xxxxxx on top og grey zone.. So did I just pass by one extra x , on the right side?
can you remember major mistakes you made in the cis portion? im getting my results next week and im afraid i may have failed the cis portion. I ran out of time to do a closure for 2 patient encounters.

can you remember major mistakes you made in the cis portion? im getting my results next week and im afraid i may have failed the cis portion. I ran out of time to do a closure for 2 patient encounters.
I'd say, rather than specific mistakes, in general I didn't give that much effort towards comminucating and displaying my inter-personal skills (which I am not too great at, honestly). I didn't console them, or expressed my feelings at any sad news as much. I felt, I was a bit casual in some of the encounters. I was more concerned about getting ICE part right (which leads to >90% failures, as told by my souces. Don't know how true though. )And yeah, my closure was also very stat, just probable diagnosis, and tests I'd do, and then ask them for questions.

Sorry for the results for ones who failed ICE during this cycle. First, think about the your approach to the the encounters:
1. Is your typing speed up? Above 50 words / min may be enough though many private coaches welcome above 60/minute( are you able to type case 11 and 22 on FA in 8 to 9 minutes - case on 62 yo with hoarseness and 53 yo with intermittent dizziness, word for word) ,are you quick in copy and paste without deleting your typed work! Type your differential first , then few tests, most relevant and significant , then exam// upto this point you have used 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, dont use more on this// and then move to hx. Lastly copy and paste supporting evidence or type if fast enough . Always do GA and copy vital signs . I copied all VS into exam portion and first part of description of patient into start of HPI with the name and age and all , then give my c/o in second line medical terminology wherever possible. My coach made sure i did this and upped my typing speed even before she made me practice any case. Being an IMG , my typing was about or below 39 / minute before and my tutor was very sure I won't pass ICE with that!
2. Did you give fluent instructions during exam? If no instructions, no mark.
3. Giving instructions or telling your patient about next step helps that you are not causing discomfort trying to elicit signs. Any discomfort caused during exam like deep maneuvers is fail. Do not also repeat any painful maneuvers
4. Was in same center , and in many cases I did not have third differential but mostly were 2 yet got ICE far to the right.
5. How is your data collection: mnemonics .Be careful with ROS, let it be complete even if you have three differentials , social and family hx , sex , meds and allergies . They are not forth coming if you don't ask and may help change the diagnosis or reduce to two. 2 cases had to change DDx after fhx and around 3 cases on asking about sex hx. They are now tricky at Atlanta.
6. Do self mock exams before the exam . Did 3 times each 12 cases a day spaced with rest in between days and within 2 weeks to exam . Refine your exams, time them at max of 3 to 4 minutes. Used pillows for all my mocks but i recorded my self in a few difficult cases especially CNS exams and fatigue and weight changes. It will be well, my friends! Mocks are just like NBMEs.
7. During exam 2 students started to cry during the exam after the second encounter , they were AMGs and others tried to calm them down during the breaks. The preceptors never uttered a word. Take it serious. Even if you go for preparation courses , as an IMG you have to practice your typing and SEP many months before! I dont have AMG experience, therefore , I am not sure of their weaknesses.

Glad that you passed it. Thanks for the advice and tips. Does your tutor want to help other students? I would be glad to have him or er as my tutor. Need help with ICE

I finally passed CS on my second time around. I'm an AMG and wanted to share my experience with people who may have a similar story to mine. I took CS in october, got a failing score after all my interviews were done and then retook it asap. I couldn't schedule my repeat early enough to have my results prior to rank list deadline however and I've read so little about this experience online because many people are able to get a date before mid-december in time to submit a passing score on ERAS for rank. I only had Step 1 and CK submitted on ERAS and I thankfully did slightly above average on both. I just never submitted CS. To calm anyone's nerves down about matching, I did not receive a single email asking about my CS score by any programs. It seems the rumor is true that most programs don't care about CS if you're an AMG.

Now I hope I'm not speaking too soon as match is only a week away. I feel like I shouldn't have a problem since I had over 10 interviews and most of my post interview communication has been positive without a single mention of Step 2 CS. I'm just waiting for the email on Monday to see if I matched or not. good luck to everyone and please ask away about my experience I'll do my best to share asap.

Last edited:
I finally passed CS on my second time around. I'm an AMG and wanted to share my experience with people who may have a similar story to mine. I took CS in october, got a failing score after all my interviews were done and then retook it asap. I couldn't schedule my repeat early enough to have my results prior to rank list deadline however and I've read so little about this experience online because many people are able to get a date before mid-december in time to submit a passing score on ERAS for rank. I only had Step 1 and CK submitted on ERAS and I thankfully did slightly above average on both. I just never submitted CS. To calm anyone's nerves down about matching, I did not receive a single email asking about my CS score by any programs. It seems the rumor is true that most programs don't care about CS if you're an AMG.

Now I hope I'm not speaking too soon as match is only a week away. I feel like I shouldn't have a problem since I had over 10 interviews and most of my post interview communication has been positive without a single mention of Step 2 CS. I'm just waiting for the email on Monday to see if I matched or not. good luck to everyone and please ask away about my experience I'll do my best to share asap.

Hey, was wondering how everything turned out! Did you match successfully? Do you mind if I ask what specialty?

I hear ya. The damn thing keeps creeping into my head even though I try not to think about it. It’s seriously giving me a complex. I just think the wait is the issue. Someone over at the nbme should at least acknowledge that this wait time is beyond ridiculous. 1 month, is all it should really take. If your going to **** us over with the all the money and travel all in the guise of gauging our so called clinical skill competency at least have the damn decency to keep in mind the damn anxiety this test causes every damn year. Every god damn rotation almost all students do well when it comes to the stuff they’re testing us in, those who don’t, don’t do well on the rotation and either remediate it or learn and change their style. This is not to mention the damn osces all our schools make us do. Why the hell is our generation being given this bs test anyway? Most of my attendings are great when it comes to clinical skills and didn’t have to take this bull****. God this test has gotten me so wound up, I know I probably passed, but the god damn nebulous criteria they use to grade us is just killing me and everyone else here who has to wait. Wonder how many days my life and others has shortened because of this. NBME can go ****themselves.
There needs to be a way to get rid of this worthless test ASAP. The petition those Harvard students did was written terribly. As a result, we suffered.