Step 2cs December 2018 score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMG 4th year here. Decided to start this for anyone stressing during the ridiculous waiting period for step 2 cs! I made a post about some of the things I did wrong, then deleted it because no one can tell me if I failed or not. Also, people telling me to not stress because I will more than likely pass was also not helpful as we all know someone who “surprisingly” failed. I’ve been losing sleep since test day since at this point I’m convinced there’s no way I passed and wishing I can just take it over one more time. Also really bummed about continuing interviews at this point. So for anyone in my position, you’re not alone! here’s to positive thinking and relaxing thoughts until dec 12 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For people that passed, in your work up, do you only write investigations only for the differentials you made? Or you can also write investigations for other differentials the patient could have even if they're not among the 3 you wrote?
I would definitely limit your workup to the differential that you list. Otherwise it may seem like you are shotgunning

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To the point where I’m just numb for watever result. Srsly I’ve fried my brain last couple weeks waiting, running all these simulations in my head and result scenarios. Smh
Yup same boat. Just want the wait over.

As promised, here was my experience: Passed Step 2 CS. Took it in philly on 9/10. AMG. Score was released in the second week of the reporting period at 11am EST. Permit disappeared after 9pm EST the preceding Sunday. FCVS stated pass on Monday morning.

ICE had several stars in borderline, while CIS and SEP were high performance. I found this strange because I felt that my notes and differentials were all of high quality, and was definitely more concerned about CIS coming out of the exam. Perhaps I was dinged on physical exams, because I only prioritized what I thought was absolutely necessary (did not listen to heart/lungs at all stations, minimal exam maneuvers at some stations) and focused more on thorough histories, "tell me your concern" type questions, and closures. Although this does give me confidence in the conclusion that this exam is sort of bulls*** because I behaved exactly the way I do in my hospital's ED (in terms of history, exam, and workup) and am consistently praised in that setting for thoroughness.

I went through about 30-40% of FA in the days prior to taking the exam and practiced 2 cases with a partner the day before. Most of the practice I did was in my hospitals ED/wards floor in the weeks prior to the exam (Sub Is).

Mistakes I remember making (although probably made quite a few more than this):
1) forgetting to provide tissues to a pt that was upset (was such an obvious act, i had trouble taking it seriously)
2) nearly laughing at a patient who told me a very ridiculous history (but i course corrected quickly)
3) running out of time on one station and not being able to close the encounter
4) forgetting to ask key history questions at 2 stations (realized while i was writing the HPI)
5) not copy pasting vital signs into all of my notes
6) providing vague closures at a significant number of stations

When you say you weren't able to close the encounter, does that mean you didn't explain the d/ds or investigations? I had a few cases where I finished saying the d/ds and investigations, but I just wasn't able to ask them if they had any more questions, shake their hand, and leave.

When you say you weren't able to close the encounter, does that mean you didn't explain the d/ds or investigations? I had a few cases where I finished saying the d/ds and investigations, but I just wasn't able to ask them if they had any more questions, shake their hand, and leave.

When you say a few how many?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In most of the cases I told the SP’s that “this might be ( what ever the case infection/condition)that affect (concernd organ) but I am not sure at this point,i need to do run some test to find out what is causing your symptom”then I talked about my investigations. Is that enough for closure

In most of the cases I told the SP’s that “this might be ( what ever the case infection/condition)that affect (concernd organ) but I am not sure at this point,i need to do run some test to find out what is causing your symptom”then I talked about my investigations. Is that enough for closure
That's essentially what I did, I broke down my differential for the patient from most likely to less likely and tried to mention any potential life-threatening things if applicable. I also made sure to ask if the patient was agreeable with my plan and if they had any questions or concerns.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's essentially what I did, I broke down my differential for the patient from most likely to less likely and tried to mention any potential life-threatening things if applicable. I also made sure to ask if the patient was agreeable with my plan and if they had any questions or concerns.

I was in the physical exam portion and the time ran out. So no discussion of the ddx, no discussion of proposed workup, and no "what questions do you have for me"

I was in the physical exam portion and the time ran out. So no discussion of the ddx, no discussion of proposed workup, and no "what questions do you have for me"

Oh well congrats on passing then! I really hope I end up in your position as well

I finally passed CS-ICE section on 2nd attempt at the same center. Alhmd... So I don't think its the center that needs to be blamed for ICE section. I made big changes that helped me pass it. I will post soon what I did 2nd time around to pass ICE section. I thought I would never get through this test but I finally did with lots of prayer, determination, hard work, positive thinking, help from lots of SPs, and support from family. Now I can finally study in peace for CK.

Reactions: 6 users
So just learned people can get scores back before others. Friend of mine took on the same day and same test center and got hers back on week 6. It’s now the beginning of week 7. Is there a correlation between when you receive your score?

Fcvs is still undetermined. Wat does permit link disappearing mean? On oasis I can still click “here” and it takes me to page where it says “you are currently not registered....”

Fcvs is still undetermined. Wat does permit link disappearing mean? On oasis I can still click “here” and it takes me to page where it says “you are currently not registered....”

Apparently its when you can no longer click on the word "here". But that definitely doesnt mean anything, I got my score last week, and I still have it. I believe that fcvs usually changes on Monday's. Sunday night mine still said undertermined, but Monday morning it said PASS. Got my score that wednesday.

Apparently its when you can no longer click on the word "here". But that definitely doesnt mean anything, I got my score last week, and I still have it. I believe that fcvs usually changes on Monday's. Sunday night mine still said undertermined, but Monday morning it said PASS. Got my score that wednesday.
I think the permit disappearing is specific to the NBME website. When it is gone on the website for AMG, it means you are receiving your score the upcoming week. Not sure if it correlates to passing or failing per say.

I don’t what should I do now. I got all the diagnosis. But I didn’t do physical exam in one case. I don’t know how I am going to face it again

I don’t what should I do now. I got all the diagnosis. But I didn’t do physical exam in one case. I don’t know how I am going to face it again

Once you get your score report message me and I’ll try to help you as best as I can. I had a pretty extensive plan b lined up in case I didn’t pass.

I know what your feeling, this a big moment for you. I was retaking myself. Hang strong. You will pass this stupid test. Take a day to recover. Start looking for test dates. There is a way to look for test days on Firefox. Have faith. Figure out what your weakness was and prep with partners. Everyone on this forum is here to help you, you can PM anyone. This will test you, don’t break. You can do this.

I know what your feeling, this a big moment for you. I was retaking myself. Hang strong. You will pass this stupid test. Take a day to recover. Start looking for test dates. There is a way to look for test days on Firefox. Have faith. Figure out what your weakness was and prep with partners. Everyone on this forum is here to help you, you can PM anyone. This will test you, don’t break. You can do this.
Thank you so much

I am shocked
I dont know the right words to say but I want you to know that this exam wouldn’t define how a good doctor you will be in the future. Yes, its a must but its very subjective. Maybe take it in a different testing area again. Pm me so we can compare what we did differently, maybe I could help.