step 2cs note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i have this test next week and i was getting worried about it. how detailed does the note need to be? does it need to be a complete admission note? are there headlines given for what to write or is it just a black sheet of paper? how much info needs to go on there? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about it. I'm an FMG and I studied like 2 days for it (just reading cases in FA, but actually I found a lot of my didn't really stick to the FA ones). The note...you don't have very much space to write. I write small, and even I had to really squeeze things in. Stick to your main headings: Presenting complaint, HPC, PMHx, PSHx, Meds, Social Hx, Family Hx (not so much) . And then the examination part of the note is is basically the same as a soap note ROS. Examine the relevant system(s), do others if you can and just write your findings. Remember, most are health actors so CV is RRR no rubs murmurs gallops, and Resp is clear to auscultation bilaterally. Write down vitals if you're given them . Not a complete note, just short and most pertinent notes.

Then they ask for your DDx and Management plan / Ix (5 things each) and this is where I had a little trouble, but they're not looking for too much. Just that you're thinking on the write line, I think (ie. FBC with differential if you're querying infection, specific infection tests like monospot or whatever, etc.. imaging...)

You should purchase a copy of First Aid for Step 2 CS and use it to prepare for your exam. In the FA book, you'll see many examples of the patient note that is used on the actual CS exam. If you buy the book, you'll be able to prepare enough to pass and you'll gain familiarity with the see examples of well-written notes!

Sorry, I got made a mistake while responding to the original question. I meant to say that buying FA for Step 2 CS is a wise move because it gives you enough material to study so you can pass the test and also provides you with many examples of well-written notes!

Members don't see this ad :)
go with FA, also practice the CD-ROM that the NBME sends you--VERY HELPFUL and underrated

Did I miss something?

The CD-Rom didn't say much in regards to preparation. It just went over how the exam is conducted and some sample notes in two styles as a well as software which will help you practice typing the patient note on the computer, if you do choose it, which I did not.