Step 2CS December 2019 score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgarvels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on December 11th? 13 weeks is just way too long.

Members don't see this ad.

Holy cow, so there's a chance that we won't hear back next week either.

I think it says on the website that 75% find out 1st week and upwards of 99% by 2nd-3rd week. So sorry you have to wait. This is seriously unfair :(. They need to get rid of this exam or waive it if your school has an LCME approved 4th year OSCE.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Called NBME and also emailed my dean for the heck of it and despite testing 9/18 my score wasn’t reported today. AMG here. Here’s hoping for next week I guess. Super hard to focus on interviews at this point. Solidarity to all in my shoes and huge congrats to those that got good news today.

Reactions: 4 users
Called NBME and also emailed my dean for the heck of it and despite testing 9/18 my score wasn’t reported today. AMG here. Here’s hoping for next week I guess. Super hard to focus on interviews at this point. Solidarity to all in my shoes and huge congrats to those that got good news today.

I'm sure great news will be headed your way next week. Again, sorry that you have to wait. This exam really needs to be eliminated.

Reactions: 1 user

The sweet PASS that you’ll receive next week will feel even nicer because of the wait

Interviewer today at 10:30: “First question — Have you taken CS yet?”

Me: “I’ll get my score at the end of our interview.”

Interviewer: “I hope you passed...”

I passed!!!

Interviewer today at 10:30: “First question — Have you taken CS yet?”

Me: “I’ll get my score at the end of our interview.”

Interviewer: “I hope you passed...”

I passed!!!

Boom. Clearly you planned that. They should accept you merely based on your exceptional timing!

CONGRATS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed!!!!! Took it 10/25 in LA. Walked out feeling like I failed, the more I thought about it, the more sure I was that I did fail. This was the most humbling exam I have taken, primarily because it is so un-realistic but since it is supposed to simulate real medical encounters it feels worse than not knowing the minutiae of some biochem pathway.

Mistakes:

1. Missed top diagnosis in one case. And by missed I mean mixed it up with something that was a completely age-inappropriate diagnosis and had THAT as my #1 with the correct diagnosis nowhere on the differential.

2. Missed a couple obvious differentials on a few cases.

3. The one patient of mine who really needed the drape had the skimpiest drape ever and I had to constantly readjust it. There were also points during the exam where she was readjusting it and was clearly uncomfortable.

4. Had one case that I had no clue what was going on or what to recommend.

5. Completely botched the note on my first case because I wasn't used to the character limit and tried to use formatting (don't do this) and had to keep going back to delete stuff.

6. Used medical jargon with a couple of SPs.

7. Missed some specialized ortho exams.

8. Didn't do an ear/nose/throat exam when I should have.

9. Didn't CAGE someone who needed it, instead jumped straight to counseling about cutting back and "recommended" consumption.

10. We were told not to include referrals to other specialities in our plans. I still did it (along with other things) because it was honestly appropriate. I also included "follow-up with complete XYZ exam" if I forgot to do something. Probably didn't help me but it made me feel better.

Things I did well:

1. Introduced myself and did the whole "anything else you want to discuss today" intro with two open ended questions at the beginning for every case.

2. Wore gloves for every physical exam. Changed gloves after touching feet.

3. 2-3 reasonable differentials for each case with thorough plans for each as well.

4. Did a full history including meds, allergies, family, and social history on each patient.

5. Finished each encounter with enough time for summary + plan and for patient to ask follow-up questions.

6. Sympathy. Even though some of the SPs were so stone-faced that it felt uncomfortable.

Reactions: 2 users
Passed! Took it late October in Philly. I kept thinking I failed and fortunately passed comfortably with all stars to the right

Reactions: 2 users
No CS score today, alas. Took it 9/20 in Atlanta. At least my CK score came back with a pass, so I'm one step closer to a successful match :banana:

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know of anyone who got a fail back today? I didn't get my score but took the test 10/1 and I am worried that chances of failing go up if you don't hear in the first wave

Any body please let me know if this is true or not

Not certain, but I doubt you fail the whole case: potentially you lose some points in one of the domains? No use worrying about it (although understandable - we all do) as the scoring of this exam is literally the definition of esoteric.

An adolescent female said she drank a couple beers on the weekend at parties.

I replied “nice.”

Passed comfortably.

Loool. I had this patient as well...didnt even cross my mind to counsel. My biggest takeaway from this acting exam is if you are going to look over something, make it the physical. I missed some key maneuvers but made sure to counsel when I remembered, but most importantly, was able to close on every patient and passed comfortably. The closure is huge in my opinion, cause this is when the "tough questions" are typically revealed, and this is the last impression you leave with the SP. So close on every patient, write a decent note, and you should be set.

Does anyone know of anyone who got a fail back today? I didn't get my score but took the test 10/1 and I am worried that chances of failing go up if you don't hear in the first wave

this is what I’m having a hard time trying not to think about as well. Sorry to hear about your friend. This process (especially the timing) is terrifying.

Passed! I took my exam 10/18 in ATL and the FCVS trick didn't work for me, so I waited until the actual release time. I was in an interview at that time but I got an email a bit after 8 am PST saying that the scores would be up after 11 am EST so they were already up at that point.

Passed. AMG taken 10/15 in ATL

Mistakes:
One. During a UTI case I did not elicit a cost of vertebral tenderness, forgetting to tap on the back or inspect the background.
Two. I did not perform a heart exam or a long exam on a little over half of the stations. Did not comment on peripheral vasculature on any of the CV cases. Only performed heart and long on cases where it was clearly indicated.
Three. I never put anything in the ROS section. I would include the ROS inside the HPI, and say “see HPI“ despite the fact that they said not to do that before the exam.
Four. Made the mistake of adding an additional unsupported diagnosis on one of the modules, when they ding you for that.
Five. I did not eat as much as possible when they provided free food. For over $1000 for the exam, I should’ve got my moneys worth. I deafly should’ve taken some food home.
Six, and this is a big one. On one of the cases, I ran out of time on the write up. On my second differential diagnosis I wrote half the word when my session timed out. I did not support that half written diagnosis at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Passed. AMG taken 10/15 in ATL

Mistakes:
One. During a UTI case I did not elicit a cost of vertebral tenderness, forgetting to tap on the back or inspect the background.
Two. I did not perform a heart exam or a long exam on a little over half of the stations. Did not comment on peripheral vasculature on any of the CV cases. Only performed heart and long on cases where it was clearly indicated.
Three. I never put anything in the ROS section. I would include the ROS inside the HPI, and say “see HPI“ despite the fact that they said not to do that before the exam.
Four. Made the mistake of adding an additional unsupported diagnosis on one of the modules, when they ding you for that.
Five. I did not eat as much as possible when they provided free food. For over $1000 for the exam, I should’ve got my moneys worth. I deafly should’ve taken some food home.
Six, and this is a big one. On one of the cases, I ran out of time on the write up. On my second differential diagnosis I wrote half the word when my session timed out. I did not support that half written diagnosis at all.

Wait, I thought writing something like "ROS: negative except as above", above meaning HPI, is ok?

Anyone run out of time and not counsel a patient and still pass? Did that on my first one. 5 minute warning goes fast..

Anyone run out of time and not counsel a patient and still pass? Did that on my first one. 5 minute warning goes fast..
Yeah I definitely had one that I ran out of time. I won't say I passed with flying colors, but I passed comfortably enough (and programs don't get the breakdown, so wgaf)

Took my exam on the 9/9 in LA. Didn't get the result this week which was a bitter pill to swallow.

I was wondering if anyone who took the exam was consistently finishing cases like 1-2 minutes before the finish time? I always felt that I came out a minute before the vast majority of people, who always came out like 15-30 seconds before the end. I felt like I had a good idea about the patient as I left, but I'm worried sick that I left the room like a doofus while other folks got better info. I have been wound up like hell today thinking about this and how could've failed ICE by doing this... Anyone had similar experiences?

Also, congratulations to everyone who got the good news on Wednesday!

Took my exam on the 9/9 in LA. Didn't get the result this week which was a bitter pill to swallow.

I was wondering if anyone who took the exam was consistently finishing cases like 1-2 minutes before the finish time? I always felt that I came out a minute before the vast majority of people, who always came out like 15-30 seconds before the end. I felt like I had a good idea about the patient as I left, but I'm worried sick that I left the room like a doofus while other folks got better info. I have been wound up like hell today thinking about this and how could've failed ICE by doing this... Anyone had similar experiences?

Sorry to hear you did not get your result this week, the wait is horrendous, but please know that we all felt that way. You will be victorious!

To answer your question, yes - very much so! I consistently left early (more like 3 mins early!) for each station. This compounded by the fact that I also felt I did not do thorough physicals on many or any of the SPs made me worry sick before I got my results (I went more for the actual real-life approach where you do the absolute necessities). Ultimately, I passed with flying colors.

I know this is so easy to say with the result in my hand, but seriously - DO NOT WORRY. The fact that you finished early probably just meant that you were slick. Now just await next week and then you can spend all Christmas celebrating :)

@Englander, Thank you for your response! It does bring me some relief.

The exam was so long ago that I feel like I am making up stuff to worry about at this point LOL. I'm just gonna take it one day at a time. Thanks again!

I finished 1-2 min early as well and passed without any metric in the “borderline” section.

@Englander, Thank you for your response! It does bring me some relief.

The exam was so long ago that I feel like I am making up stuff to worry about at this point LOL. I'm just gonna take it one day at a time. Thanks again!

Glad to hear. Yes, one day at a time. Do not overthink it. Honestly - the combination of a long exam, vague scoring criteria and an insanely long interval between the exam and score report, all contribute to one big ’intercourse with the mind’ (to use a technical term). Stay strong!

You can make big mistakes and pass. What kills people is making a bunch of small mistakes on every case. Messing up one case won't necessarily sink ya.

There needs to be a way to get rid of this worthless test ASAP. The petition those Harvard students did was written terribly. As a result, we suffered.

There needs to be a way to get rid of this worthless test ASAP. The petition those Harvard students did was written terribly. As a result, we suffered.

We have a duty to pay the boomer generation back, and CS is a good way to do so. How else will those poor old folks at the NBME pay for their next trip to cancun and their 10th Lambo? Cmon man, they are the golden generation and we are lazy millenial sh*ts who don't learn how to treat patients enough through 4 years of training.

Hence we have this glorious exam!