Step 2CS December 2019 score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgarvels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on December 11th? 13 weeks is just way too long.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone who passed! You deserve to really enjoy this moment. I feel like this process has transformed my full head of hair into a bald one. Rogaine ain’t got nothing on this.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who passed! You deserve to really enjoy this moment. I feel like this process has transformed my full head of hair into a bald one. Rogaine ain’t got nothing on this.

same! :) I like rocking the bald look though a la Jason Statham. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you that passed but thought you failed... how bad were your mistakes? I am dying right now from the wait and need some consolation.
I don't think my dean would take it too kindly if I emailed them to ask for my score

for those of you that passed but thought you failed... how bad were your mistakes? I am dying right now from the wait and need some consolation.
I don't think my dean would take it too kindly if I emailed them to ask for my score

Just email! They need to realize that this whole thing is bull**** and they should be supportive. Also I had a lot of mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed! again, to re-iterate some details for others who may be wondering - AMG, taken on 9/10, permit disappeared (don't know when), could not see my results on FCVS and did NOT receive an email this morning. I logged into the NBME website to check.

I passed! again, to re-iterate some details for others who may be wondering - AMG, taken on 9/10, permit disappeared (don't know when), could not see my results on FCVS and did NOT receive an email this morning. I logged into the NBME website to check.

Same for me!

I passed!! Took exam on 10/28. Congrats to everyone and for those that didnt get great news, keep your chin up. You'll get through this hurdle..I believe in you.

And for future takers, the FCVS trick did not work, and the email regarding getting your score appeared very late for me. I got mine at 1040 EST, just 20 minutes before the scores are uploaded to NBME.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me. I took this test early September. Permit did not disappear and I have to wait another week to hear back? :( This is agony

Passed!

AMG, took the test on 9/28. Permit disappeared Sunday. FCVS trick didn’t work (and in fact still shows a blank). Never got the score notification email. Score report was ready at 11 on the dot

I took it 09/16 in LA, never got an email saying scores would be released, and blank status on FCVS but just refreshed my exams page on NBME at 0802 PST and my score report magically appeared.
**Edit** Received email saying I would get my score at 0840 PST. Lol

Last edited:
I passed!!!!!!

edit: For future readers of all my neurotic posts, now you see how many dumb, stupid mistakes you can make and still pass lol.

Passed. Fcvs trick didn’t work for me either and permit disappeared.

Last edited:
I passed!! Took exam on 10/28. Congrats to everyone and for those that didnt get great news, keep your chin up. You'll get through this hurdle..I believe in you.
Congratulations, I took it on 10/26 Houston and didn't receive any score.

passed! congrats to everyone else who did. and for anyone waiting for their scores reading this, i felt HORRIBLE coming out of the exam. i felt my cases were very strange and i hadn't seen over half my cases in real patients before. i'm a good student (AMG) but always borderlined OSCEs so i was nervous.

i made lots of mistakes, but to name a few:

1. missed top diagnosis on 1 case
2. missed obvious differentials on 2 others
3. 2 other cases i had no idea wtf was going on
4. horrible order of differentials on several cases... did not go from most to least likely out of sheer panic
5. use of lay language in several cases
6. put down problem list items and not differentials on 2 cases again out of sheer panic
7. made a patient get on and off the table 4 times in 1 case because i kept forgetting to do different PE maneuvers
8. PE was generally some level of suck in most cases and forgot a lot of essential components (only did 1 full abdominal exam and did not do a single neuro exam)
9. considered getting evaluated for autism because 8+ of my patients were stoic and i couldn't connect with them. did not ask them how their condition affected their life but pulled the classic "i'm sorry to hear that, let's work on making a plan together to help you" PRN.

still had asterisks all the way to the right in all sections! grading is lenient and while there are horror stories out there, you should trust your past performances. this exam is highly unlikely to be your outlier if you have a solid history of passing.

Reactions: 2 users
AMG. Exam: 10/22. Permit disappeared (not sure when). FVCS still showing blank, Score notification email around 11am EST.

Things that went well: Consistently followed BOLDCARTS for history. Felt that I showed empathy and communicated effectively. Always spent at least 1 minute going over plan and asking about questions/concerns. Generally good time management for patient encounter itself.

Mistakes: Missed a ton of stuff, ran out of time on multiple notes. Completely forgot to address 1-2 challenge questions after the patient specifically mentioned it. Forgot to wash hands until the middle of PE at least once. Many DDx with minimal supporting evidence. Easily misdiagnosed half of the cases. Performed generic heart/lung exam only on 6+ cases. Didn't ask ROS at least half of the cases, the other half was barebones couple questions on 4-5 systems. Completely neglected an obvious PE finding after being mentioned in history. Don't remember including vitals as supporting evidence for any DDx at all. Had alot of trouble with the character limit on the HPI portion of the note where I was having to edit/trim which burned alot of time.

Felt like I failed, even today was nervous and unsure of the outcome.

Result: Passed comfortably.

Advice: Practice timing of the patient encounter AND your note. Get used to the format of the note as it is much different than we are all used to. That character limit on the note is brutal, considering all portions of the history have to go in that box. Especially if you are like me and want to word vomit as soon as you get out of the room with what you remember. I went over mini-cases on FA the night before with a friend over the phone which was very helpful.

Good luck, and congratulations all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Passed. So thankful.
P.S.- F the nbme and whoever makes us take these exams. idk how you sleep at night.

Step 2 CS - mistakes

1)Forgot to counsel patient. Also, wasn’t sure if patient pretending that there was abnormal physical exam finding. I put abnormal on chart but pretty sure I saw normal on exam...

2) patient asked tough question that could have easily been answered if I just examined her. I think she was helping me out... and I was like yeah we can use your labs and figure out your question.

3) didn’t check thyroid on exam when thyroid issue was prob number 2 on ddx.

4) no idea what diagnosis was, a body part was distorted to show abnormal presentation.... I think I got a pretty good differential I was just stunned and didn’t do appropriate exam for that body part.

5) msk exam, drape fell during exam.

6) patient was taking too much of a certain Med. Well I assume that but I never asked. Y’all prob can guess which Med. Didn’t counsel.

7) didn’t get dtr response , but put normal on notes. I’m pretty sure I didn’t hit the patellar tendon.. so I was like it’s prob normal. But, I read somewhere that actors will show you normal even if you don’t do proper maneuver.

8) missed family hx on a couple notes

++ and many more mistakes
Things I did well.

1) 2-3 ddx for each patient

2) Completed all notes with ROS, allergies, meds medhx, surg hx socialhx, hpi and physical exam.

3) introduced myself all patients

4) summarized all cases before physical exam and sometimes again before closing

5) always closed

6) always used hand sanitizer/gel before PE

7) always asked is “do you have any questions” and “ is there anything else bothering you”

So I am panicking. I took mine 9/18 in ATL with my couples match partner. Same day, same time, same location. He got his score back - pass. I have no score. How do I interpret the fact that he got a score back and I didn’t.

So I am panicking. I took mine 9/18 in ATL with my couples match partner. Same day, same time, same location. He got his score back - pass. I have no score. How do I interpret the fact that he got a score back and I didn’t.

Don’t worry - there are many folks in this situation. I am sure it might depend on who ends up scoring your notes, any delays there, etc. Maybe call NBME to check? We are rooting for you!

I would call NBME! It can't hurt

I called. They said my score was still pending. Grading is done randomly, but we are still in the window since scores can come out til January 6th