USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
FSMB portal site is down for maintenance tonight...already checked for the step 3 trick, and there's no link..but I want to keep anxiously refreshing it anyhow. Hopefully just 4 more hours till we get answers!

Do you know are we supposed to see the results after midnight?
Wow that would be great, I thought I was going to have to wait until Wed morning..

Members don't see this ad :)
Due for scores tomorrow I think.. my permit link disappeared this past Sunday but on the FSMB website my status still says approved and no link to reapply .. most ppl here says that the status changes on Monday.. wondering if that’s the case for everybody. Someone else took the exam with me and her status is still approved. Getting concerned here..

Update: it worked for me, but considering someone in this thread said it didn't and 98 percent of people pass it, I wouldn't take it as gospel. Regardless, so relieved to be done with the stupid test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually chrome stopped working but switched browsers and discovered my status changed to expired with the gray box and no link to apply so hopefully the trick works for me.

My status changed to expired and no link to apply but I have the gray box with this inside "Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application. " ??

So I just read every post on here since the begining of this thread. I took my step 3 on 3/23 and 3/29. My permit link was gone when I checked on Sunday & on FSMB It said "approved" on status. This AM it says "expired" with a Grey box stating (Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience) with no yellow box or yellow link to reapply. Im hoping this trick works. (God willing)

My status changed to expired and no link to apply but I have the gray box with this inside "Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application. " ??
From what I read, it's all. About if a yellow box or yellow link pops up in the Grey box under your expired status. Not sure if it matters what it says, yours vs mine.

So based on my review of this thread... if you received the fsmb page stating "expired" with no yellow link below, it is an indicator that the score will likely show up as early as on midnight tuesday and no yellow link appears that you have passed the exam?

Reactions: 3 users
I still have the link for the permit and my status is still approved. I took my exam 3/25 and 3/30 ????
probably cuz your second day was a satuday, look like they consider the saturday like the next week, so far nobody know

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Passed with 225. Alhamdullilah. God is the Greatest. No more USMLE forever! License here I come. Trick did work for me exactly as was discussed. Went from approved to expired on Sunday and no yellow link in the bottom to register. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Passed with 225. Alhamdullilah. God is the Greatest. No more USMLE forever! License here I come. Trick did work for me exactly as was discussed. Went from approved to expired on Sunday and no yellow link in the bottom to register. Good luck everyone!
when did you give your exam?

when did you give your exam?

trick worked, passed. score right up at midnight. tested 3/26 and 3/28

did quite a bit better than UWSA, a bit below average but near my proximity to the mean as I did when I scored borderline pass/fail on the UWSAs.

Words of advice:
1. don't worry if you are in the high 180s/low 190s on a UWSA, you should be just fine as the mean on those is 204, the actual mean is around 225
2. take 1-2 days before day 1 and review the uworld stats front/back. will bank you lots of points as i didn't find the exam stats difficult at all
3. take a day off between day 1/2 and review CCS cases and practice the trial cases on ccscases.com. my 13 were quite straightforward, easier than practice. most difficult part is remembering to order everything at the end because many of the cases end shockingly early
4. relax, don't need more than uworld. take a 1 or 3 month subscription to everything and do it over 1 month hard or 2-3 months at a relaxed pace (like I did, still enjoyed weekends out when on elective, etc)

PGY-1 in IM. Had consult month in January and outpatient primary care in March so that was my relaxed study period

Anyone else take there exam around April 4/7 that are waiting for results? My link is still up and status on fsmb is showing approved.