USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like everyone is getting their score back on 4th Wednesday instead of 3rd. Is there any such reported delay? Or is it now the new normal?

Took my exams 12/11 and 12/16 and did not hear any results this past Wednesday, Jan 8. Too soon to try the "trick." Probably a tad too anxious to hear back. Currently 6 months into EM residency, having recently done a month of OB with 4 months total of community and academic ED shifts. Over 90 days leading up to the test, did the majority of uWorld questions with average of 65% correct - many of the questions done as trial and error review early on. I worked through or reviewed all of the CCS cases through uWorld. Day 1 felt pretty good. I felt well-prepared, with my expectation that I'd get some curveballs to get through. I did the majority of my CCS review between then and Day 2 even amid a LOT of car trouble and time away from my review material during that time. Day 2 also felt pretty good. I don't expect to have knocked it out of the park - my Step 1 & 2CK were perfectly average - but I am 95% certain I passed. Good luck to all in prep mode!

PASSED! 230. GOODBYE USMLE!

congrats to everyone who received their scores. My day 2 was 12/28, will I likely get my score next week or in 2 weeks? the anxiety is killing me. I have a feeling I might have failed because of css

congrats to everyone who received their scores. My day 2 was 12/28, will I likely get my score next week or in 2 weeks? the anxiety is killing me. I have a feeling I might have failed because of css

My day 2 was 12/30 and still no score up. I think we may be waiting for 2-3 weeks for our results. CCS was a beast. Half of my cases ended super early, and a few never ended and just expired. on the MCQs, I feel like I was guessing on 50%, able to eliminate maybe 1 answer choice. What was your experience?

My day 2 was 12/30 and still no score up. I think we may be waiting for 2-3 weeks for our results. CCS was a beast. Half of my cases ended super early, and a few never ended and just expired. on the MCQs, I feel like I was guessing on 50%, able to eliminate maybe 1 answer choice. What was your experience?
From what I've understood, the Wednesday of the week you tested doesn't count. So in your case it should come out on the 29th (if you count 4 Wednesdays).

For folks whose second day was in the week between the 23rd and 29th, the results should come out next week (hopefully).

So my experience.....Day 1 was ok for the most part. Biostats was straightforward and the step 1-esque questions I either knew or could guess. Day 2, the MCQ were fine, I would say 3/4 of the questions I knew the answer and the other 1/4 I could narrow down the choices to 2 answers. However the CCS screwed me, only 3 of my cases ended early and I forgot a ton of small orders.

What do you mean by disappear? As in no longer a hyperlink available? Or do you refer to when you click on "print permit" on Candidate website it says "application error: etc..."
Sorry, poor choice of words. I mean the status expires on Tuesday. I doubt anything will happen today as it is MLK day.

Actually the permit link does disappear. Mine did a week after my day 2 (dec 23, 2019). The link initially took me to my permit one day after day 2, (dec 24) then showed error message on dec 25. On dec 30th the link had disappeared. My status is still approved, with a message below that reads “your step 3 application will expire soon. Seems there’s really no predictable pattern here guys. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DF60E8FF-A95D-4CE6-A605-8D8340B8AE72.jpeg
    DF60E8FF-A95D-4CE6-A605-8D8340B8AE72.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: 1 user
Actually the permit link does disappear. Mine did a week after my day 2 (dec 23, 2019). The link initially took me to my permit one day after day 2, (dec 24) then showed error message on dec 25. On dec 30th the link had disappeared. My status is still approved, with a message below that reads “your step 3 application will expire soon. Seems there’s really no predictable pattern here guys. Hope this helps.
Same here.

Can someone please help me out w something. My stomach is in knots thinking I failed.
I am expecting my score Wednesday, took part 2 on Dec 27.

My permit is gone on nbme.
My registration is still listed as approved on fsmb.

All normal.

But when I initially log into FSMB, before clicking on the USMLE step 3 icon, below it are two links. One for eligibility extension, and one for Score Recheck.
The "Score Recheck" has me assuming that I did not pass?! Or does everyone have this link?

Please help. Thanks

Can someone please help me out w something. My stomach is in knots thinking I failed.

All normal.

But when I initially log into FSMB, before clicking on the USMLE step 3 icon, below it are two links. One for eligibility extension, and one for Score Recheck.
The "Score Recheck" has me assuming that I did not pass?! Or does everyone have this link?

Please help. Thanks
I have the same thing here. But when I click those links, they do not work and says I am not eligible

All normal.

Please help. Thanks
Not unusual. Click on the score recheck link and it tells you you’re not eligible for a score recheck because your last attempt hasn’t been scored yet.

Permit link just disappeared. Still within eligibility period. Status still approaved. Not sure what does that mean

All normal.

Please help. Thanks

We all have the same thing. This means nothing. Try to click on the red box “step 3”. It will take you to another window which show you the status. If you have a yellow box allowed you to reapply, I assumes it is not good. However, I do not trust any trick because I had a bad experience before

Reactions: 2 users
We all have the same thing. This means nothing. Try to click on the red box “step 3”. It will take you to another window which show you the status. If you have a yellow box allowed you to reapply, I assumes it is not good. However, I do not trust any trick because I had a bad experience before
Oh does that mean you did not have a link to reapply but did not pass last time when you say bad experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh does that mean you did not have a link to reapply but did not pass last time when you say bad experience?
No. My bad experience was with step 2 CK. I used the trick that everybody talked about and gave me a hint that I failed, but I passed when the results released. That is why I am saying do not trust the trick. Most people who comment “trick works” are passing the test. How about the people who failed??

Reactions: 1 users