USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
So we had a 6.6 earthquake here (Puerto Rico) at 4:24 am...and I was awake waiting for my FSMB status to change while in the shower. My morning has been horrible. BUT: So far it's expired and no yellow box. So I am guessing my passing is a dangerous thing...lol

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t believe they’re going to delay scores for exams taken during the early part of the third week of December to January 15th. That is officially 5 weeks...
What is the reason? Is it official or just a regular delay? Still have permit link and approved showing on fsmb..

Members don't see this ad :)
December 5th and 9th. I know I am getting it tomorrow since my status changed... just wanna know where I need to look

the interactive website. You can find a link on the NBME website. It should update in two hours then we’ll get an email about our scores at 8am EST tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone. Guess we have to wait till next week.. Kindly share your UW average scores and assessment scores.

Trick worked. Got 216. About 20 points higher than I'd prayed for.
Congrats, what was your UW average and assessment? How did you feel after exam? I think I was running short of time in 10 min cases and was not able get feedback from patient regarding improvement. Very scared..

Congrats everyone. Guess we have to wait till next week.. Kindly share your UW average scores and assessment scores.
Step 1: 209
Step 2 CK: 223
Step 2 CS: failed once, then passed
Step 3: 216

Did 87% of UWorld and my average on untimed tutor mode all mixed blocks was 61.7%. Read very little of MTB Step 3.

Best advice I received from a friend who had already taken step 3 is to pay the $70 and do the actual CCS cases. There are 101 of them. Do them, then do them again like 2-3 more times. Then read through FA at the very end they have 100 CCS cases. It's ~30% of the exam that is the easiest to prepare for and if you do all that you will dominate the cases day of exam.

Best of luck to everyone awaiting their scores and those still preparing to take it. It's nothing short of a dreadful event and the 2 testing days are just awful. You won't feel like you passed when you leave, so just know that's normal. Hope this helps.

Congrats, what was your UW average and assessment? How did you feel after exam? I think I was running short of time in 10 min cases and was not able get feedback from patient regarding improvement. Very scared..
Regarding the CCS part, I went in feeling decent about them. There was one case that to this day I've no idea what was wrong with the woman (looking back it was probably a depression screening I should have ordered) but that poor soul left my care freaking glowing because I CT'd and x-ray'd the hell out of her. Diagnosis: inevitable cancer within 5 years after I "cared" for her. There were several others that didn't end the way I'd wanted them to because it was like they were expecting me to do more but I knew the diagnosis and performed the appropriate workups.

Key take-away here, though, is the fact that I fully expected to have failed that thing when I left both days. There were so many questions that I must have arrived at the correct answer by ruling out and narrowing down instead of actually knowing. And many questions I thought, "I could have read FA and MTB twice each and done UWorld 3x and still don't think I would have been prepared for this question."

Took my exams 12/11 and 12/16 and did not hear any results this past Wednesday, Jan 8. Too soon to try the "trick." Probably a tad too anxious to hear back. Currently 6 months into EM residency, having recently done a month of OB with 4 months total of community and academic ED shifts. Over 90 days leading up to the test, did the majority of uWorld questions with average of 65% correct - many of the questions done as trial and error review early on. I worked through or reviewed all of the CCS cases through uWorld. Day 1 felt pretty good. I felt well-prepared, with my expectation that I'd get some curveballs to get through. I did the majority of my CCS review between then and Day 2 even amid a LOT of car trouble and time away from my review material during that time. Day 2 also felt pretty good. I don't expect to have knocked it out of the park - my Step 1 & 2CK were perfectly average - but I am 95% certain I passed. Good luck to all in prep mode!

Guys when is the permit link supposed to disappear? It's unclear if it is on the Sunday before or the Monday before the score release

My permit still up. This is the 3rd Wednesday post day 2, but I'm still in the eligibility period... You guys should check FSMB status tomorrow. It seems that it's not coming out for me

My permit still up. This is the 3rd Wednesday post day 2, but I'm still in the eligibility period... You guys should check FSMB status tomorrow. It seems that it's not coming out for me
When was your day 2? Mine wan on 12/23 and I still have the permit link and the status approved, so scared.

Day 2 was 12/18.
Status is expired with no link to reapply, no yellow button, but I am also in my eligibility period. What does this mean? Can anyone help?

Does it make a difference that I am still in my eligibility period (expires by end of February) and have status expired on fsmb with no link to re apply? Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks

step 3.JPG

I assume this is good?