Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY2 here. Can anyone suggest what they did for step 3? Preferable those who took the new version of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a slow learner. Took it last summer. Did all of UWorld over 6 weeks. On the real thing, ran out of time with a few unanswered questions on most sections. Did fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uworld, First Aid for Step 3. Main thing is understanding how the software for the cases works.

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it.

Im assuming by now Uworld is consistent with the new step 3?

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it.

Im assuming by now Uworld is consistent with the new step 3?

Not sure how big the differences actually are between old and new Step 3. The same UWorld questions from a few years back are still in there. But like any UWorld they are constantly updating it and adding new questions. Just do the whole thing and you should do fine.

I only used UWorld and it was fine, I took the 'new' test as well. It's a must for the second day. The software they use is so archaic and non-intuitive that you have to have practiced how to use it prior to the day. I had a friend who thought he could get through it without having done the UWorld thing and he failed the test because of that section. It took him a few scenarios to figure out the flow/how to transfer patients/move time ahead, etc and by then it was too late.

Step 3 is still a requirement ?

That's like saying that you need to open the beer before you can prove that you can drink it.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not a hard test for the average-to-above emergency medicine resident. It's pretty basic medicine, more focused on management and disposition of common presentations. Study up on the things you don't do as much of but that are "mainstream" (OB/GYN basics, ambulatory medicine things like USPSTF recommendations and secondary prevention for CV disease, DM meds) and you'll crush it. Use UW or the USMLE-provided case simulator (free!) to learn the interface for the second day -- it's more about learning how the interface works and remembering to do the things like "counsel patient" if they have smoking, drinking, risky sexual histories than about fund of knowledge, since the cases tend to be very bread and butter EM.

Thanks for replies everyone I appreciate it

If it hasn't changed, you can counsel all your patients to stop smoking crack. Which, ironically, is about the only real life carryover. Don't stress about step 3. Pre-computer, the saying was "2 months for Step 1, 2 weeks for Step 2, #2 pencil for Step 3."

Do UWorld all the way through. I would advise paying for the CCS (CSS?) part as well - most of the battle is getting used to the software. The test itself isn't actually all that hard (in comparison to Steps 1 and 2).

Is about 5 weeks enough time to get through some of UW for step 3? This will be just over a month after our ITE and having gone through a majority of Rosh review as well, so hopefully most will overlap.

Last edited:
Yes 5 weeks should be plenty. I finished like 60-70% of questions in 2 weeks and did just fine. Hit your weak areas and be able to regurgitate/apply those damn bio stats formulas.

Did about 30% of the UWorld questions (though did ALL of the biostats questions - which I would recommend, as it is biostats-heavy), did all of the UWorld practice cases - software is strange, and you just have to get used to what it wants you to do. Did awesome on the test, even though I felt like I was guessing on 1/4-1/3 of the questions in each set...didn't matter. Killed it.

Uworld. Also DIT. But I did DIT for step 1 and 2 and enjoyed it, and got a discount. Probably not necessary. Uworld and first aid should be more than enough for that pass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk