Stewart University Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I am going to throw this out there just for kicks:

I saw a half a page add in my college newspaper (one of U.C.s) for Steward Med last year, and they had the same crap about how MCAT was optional, newest CA med school, etc.

I mean it's pretty easy to make a website with some trailer park trash pics, and funny text, but to have a "secretary", to put adds in college newspapers. . . . could they be for real?😕

I still think it's a huge prank, but. . . 😕
 
Anyone who takes pains to refer to themself as a 'polymath', isn't.

EDIT: and Mason ...

thomas-mason.jpg


At least they have pee splash guards.

Are those like Masonic phallus protectors?
 
So, for the record, just in case there's any doubt in your mind -- this is not a real school (accredited or not).

If you do a little searching you will see that a search on the school name only gives you the website and references on various forums etc. where advertisements have been spammed. If you follow the links from Stewart in the news, 2 of them were on a pr website where anyone can add them, and the next 3 sites are dead links. You'd think if they were actually "the first school to open in 40 years" there would be some ACTUAL newsprint about it, especially because of the whole ridiculous "foreign school on US soil" thing.

It seems that Saul, the Stewart class "president" is behind most of the propaganda - if you look at his most recent youtube video, you will see him have a conversation with himself in the comments section. First he responds with the Saul account "newmedstudent" and when there are some replies questioning the school, he replies from a different account "ohmssoo7" who defends the school, and says that he has met the president in person and seen his AMSA card. Interesting since they are in fact the same person. It is very easy to deduce this fact since if you google this username (ohmssoo7) you will see that this person has been spamming every single premed board, youtube page, etc. with ads about Stewart. You will find a page where wikipedia has banned his account for trying to add a Stewart Med Page. And because he's a ***** you will also find a post where he tells people to go to Stewart med:

"New medical school in California opening up, e-mail me for information. Not a joke or a trick, I am one of you. Kinesiology major 3.1 GPA, mcat scores horrible. [email protected] or [email protected]"

Kinesiology major, eh? That's the same as Saul...

Oh, and here's a personal ad he posted which says that ohmssoo7=Saul
http://asiafind.com/p/member.cgi?dcb=asiafind&mid=1351169_60147


Oh and the website's a joke, of course...


I just have a few questions:
1) Who's actually behind this? (I don't think Saul is smart enough to create this whole thing -- seriously, dude, use a dummy account name at least...)
2) Are they actually making money off of stupid people?
3) Why are they targeting veterans?


In any case, I hope this clears up the questions about these poor med students who won't be able to practice anywhere, and when we will see their match list, etc. Mostly I wish I had money to toss around so that I could see what happens if you actually pay the PayPal fee to SEE the application...

The good news is - Gunilla is a real person!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it's a joke, then I don't understand why AAMC has them on their list.

I was searching and searching to see if I could find any info about them on the AAMC, and I didn't. But you're right, it does come up on the MCAT Thx score release page. That's fishy... But everything I've written above is pretty ridiculous - If a new medical school opened that was so controversial, shouldn't we expect for there to be an article about it in a real newspaper...somewhere? And shouldn't the chancellor come up with more hits...besides his Pamela references...

I agree with the above poster about the movie, Accepted. In the end those kids end their fraud for actually petitioning for accreditation...
 
Man someone needs to pay these guys a visit.

Where? At their rented address? Or maybe that indian reservation that makes them on "foreign soil" Or perhaps on that naval base where they're apparently having classes? No - I think we should go to the public library that they are trying to use...
 
Where? At their rented address? Or maybe that indian reservation that makes them on "foreign soil" Or perhaps on that naval base where they're apparently having classes? No - I think we should go to the public library that they are trying to use...
the public library of course. After a good long day of studying physics, go and talk to saul😀
 
Seriously this sounds a lot like St. Chris Med school that was located in the UK for a while. (It was really a diploma mill set up with its base in Senegal).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-112728.html

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=270330

Does anyone know what happend to that school?



And what's up with Stewart University trying to use a composite of symbols from England, Ireland, etc to use as their crest? As if by making a pretty crest they can create the illusion its a respected program. Pretty lame if you ask me.


http://www.valuemd.com/502529-post34.html <- this is great
 
I think the most likely explanation is that they are a cult. Where else do you find so many freaks and people obviously out of touch with reality together in an organization? The wedding pictures support my theory.

The ministers of the ceremony (the man is wearing a cape):
23.jpg


The whole lot of them:

15.jpg
 
The gross income of Stewart University is expected to grow in excess of $140 million per year within three years. The school'ss 34-month program is attracting steadily increasing interest and admissions applications away from other top medical schools, with new admission of 200 students every four months.

Wow what ludicrous claims. So they enroll students every four months and educate 800 students a year with four first year faculty members and no second year faculty?
 
I was searching and searching to see if I could find any info about them on the AAMC, and I didn't. But you're right, it does come up on the MCAT Thx score release page. That's fishy... But everything I've written above is pretty ridiculous - If a new medical school opened that was so controversial, shouldn't we expect for there to be an article about it in a real newspaper...somewhere? And shouldn't the chancellor come up with more hits...besides his Pamela references...

I agree with the above poster about the movie, Accepted. In the end those kids end their fraud for actually petitioning for accreditation...

I'm not so sure whether it's a scam or just a genuine but really ill conceived attempt to start up a med school. If you were going to start up a new business such as this, and didn't have a lot of good advice how to do it, it would probably show up on the net like this. An amateurish website, some small paper ads, the appropriate forms filed with the AAMC to get MCAT reports, the ability to accept credit card payments (very dangerous and risking very significant jail time for everyone involved if it's a scam), some you-tube testimonials, some statements about private investors that suggest some discussion with a lawyer or several hours in a law library, a phone line, and images of real live individuals (which opens them up to all sorts of lawsuits if they aren't, in fact, truly associated with this venture). If it were really a fake, they would list a fixed address, claim that the rotations were lined up, perhaps claim better accredition, try not to run afoul of things which could get them jailed or sued, and probably not spend so much time and money to end up with the kind of product they have.
 
I'm not so sure whether it's a scam or just a genuine but really ill conceived attempt to start up a med school. If you were going to start up a new business such as this, and didn't have a lot of good advice how to do it, it would probably show up on the net like this. An amateurish website, some small paper ads, the appropriate forms filed with the AAMC to get MCAT reports, the ability to accept credit card payments (very dangerous and risking very significant jail time for everyone involved if it's a scam), some you-tube testimonials, some statements about private investors that suggest some discussion with a lawyer or several hours in a law library, a phone line, and images of real live individuals (which opens them up to all sorts of lawsuits if they aren't, in fact, truly associated with this venture). If it were really a fake, they would list a fixed address, claim that the rotations were lined up, perhaps claim better accredition, try not to run afoul of things which could get them jailed or sued, and probably not spend so much time and money to end up with the kind of product they have.

I agree. It's just the worst attempt to establish a medical school. It can't be a scam if the AAMC has been reporting MCAT scores for some time now.
 
I agree. It's just the worst attempt to establish a medical school. It can't be a scam if the AAMC has been reporting MCAT scores for some time now.

The question is -- does anyone know a jobless college drop-out with a computer and a lot of spare time that we could convince to attend and give us the inside scoop? That would be an interesting blog, particularly when the person actually gets to the rotation years if there still aren't any.🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That website is infinitely better designed than stewart's. Part of the reason I find Stewart so funny is that they don't even attempt to appear professional.

The scary thing about this Oceania school is that they actually have graduated students. Makes you really want to start checking your doc's diploma...
 
If it's a joke, then I don't understand why AAMC has them on their list.

Someone needs to approach the AAMC and tell them to unlist this school in Thx... It probably hasn't been brought to their attention that Stewart Med is complete garbage/a joke. It would be part of a larger effort to stamp out the attention this school is getting... which leads to a lot of innocent people getting ripped off and a lot of legitimate/established foreign medical schools looking bad.
 
Here's the sham school of Australia. delphi university
For the record, it is not actually in australia, but it is in a "fake" country called the "Principality of Hutt River." They aren't listed in the WHO nor IMED. Oh, the kicker, is that they too take payments in PayPal. :laugh: Oh, the Licensing page just says licensing and is blank.
 
http://www.stewartmed.org/faculty.html

There is no way an NIH scientist (bottom right) could actually be affiliated with this school. Someone should email him and tell him that stewart are claiming he is their professor. The other faculty member on the bottom left has a PhD from MIT. I wonder if they are both dead... According to pub med the last (and only one of two) publications for Wegner MJ was in 1962.
 
http://www.stewartmed.org/faculty.html

There is no way an NIH scientist (bottom right) could actually be affiliated with this school. Someone should email him and tell him that stewart are claiming he is their professor. The other faculty member on the bottom left has a PhD from MIT. I wonder if they are both dead... According to pub med the last (and only one of two) publications for Wegner MJ was in 1962.


Word and Excel are listed in her special skills.
 
The NIH scientist is the more interesting inclusion. For someone as old as her I think word and excel skills should be considered special :].
 
Oh, the kicker, is that they too take payments in PayPal.

There is no risk if they aren't in a jurisdiction where law enforcement from it's "admittees" are located. But if the Stewart folks are identifiable individuals (based on names, pictures, you-tube) and in fact are located in the US, then they would be risking pretty serious legal penalties by taking credit cards if it is a scam. Which is why I suspect it's not. Or else they aren't too bright.
 
Speaking of scham schools, have we all forgotten about this little gem?
http://www.oceaniamed.org/

That school is really small, and is probably on the extremely ultra-low end in terms of quality of education, but at least it seems like its TRYING to become a real medical school. If what they are saying on their website is true, they are much more legitimate than stewart. Best of luck to that school, and here's to hoping that they can develop a decent program.

My beef with stewart is that its CLEARLY a scam artist scheme. Just dishonest, societal parasites preying on unsuspecting people.
 
Oh, and here's a personal ad he posted which says that ohmssoo7=Saul
http://asiafind.com/p/member.cgi?dcb=asiafind&mid=1351169_60147


Oh and the website's a joke, of course...


I just have a few questions:
1) Who's actually behind this? (I don't think Saul is smart enough to create this whole thing -- seriously, dude, use a dummy account name at least...)

Nice detective work! I clicked on the link and found this gem of a quote from Saul: "I am looking for a person that when I treat like a lady she does not take if for granite"

So I have to agree with you that I don't think poor Saul has the brains to be the mastermind behind the operation. Maybe they offered him a free "medical education" in exchange for being their PR boy.

You know, with their supposed 200 students, you'd think at least one would be on here sticking up for the place.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know, with their supposed 200 students, you'd think at least one would be on here sticking up for the place.
Yes! As per my signature, I'm a member of the Class of 2010 at SU (GO SU!!! Go JANITORS!!!) and currently in the middle of my Pediatric Radiation Oncology clinical rotation at HARVARD!!!!! ALL THANKS TO THE CHANCELLOR!!!!
😍

Just send me $5000 via Paypal and YOU CAN TOO!!!!😍
 
I am really confused is this a real medical school? I am pretty sure its a joke but it is a pretty elaborate one...(cause it has a website and everything)
 
The question is -- does anyone know a jobless college drop-out with a computer and a lot of spare time that we could convince to attend and give us the inside scoop? That would be an interesting blog, particularly when the person actually gets to the rotation years if there still aren't any.🙂

Sounds like an interesting project.
 
Of course it's real, didn't you see the pictures of the classes?

Also, notice that the class of four people happened to be wearing the exact same clothes during first and second semesters.

I think one of the greatest benefits of SU med is the small class sizes. Could you imagine going to a school with such personal attention!
 
I think one of the greatest benefits of SU med is the small class sizes. Could you imagine going to a school with such personal attention!

It's like the Mayo of fake medical schools!
 
There is no risk if they aren't in a jurisdiction where law enforcement from it's "admittees" are located. But if the Stewart folks are identifiable individuals (based on names, pictures, you-tube) and in fact are located in the US, then they would be risking pretty serious legal penalties by taking credit cards if it is a scam. Which is why I suspect it's not. Or else they aren't too bright.

they had a paypal link on their site in the past for you to send your application fee, and one for you to pay your tuition (like 5k or something at the time)... no idea if it's still there.

(and I still have to 🙄 to anyone who still thinks this is a real startup...use a little common sense people)
 
they had a paypal link on their site in the past for you to send your application fee, and one for you to pay your tuition (like 5k or something at the time)... no idea if it's still there.

(and I still have to 🙄 to anyone who still thinks this is a real startup...use a little common sense people)

Wow, tuition via PayPal! What a concept!!!
 
Wow, tuition via PayPal! What a concept!!!

They should just take it out of your financial aid check like all the other schools do...oh wait...they don't have financial aid. No wonder Saul had to sell his soul. Poor guy.
 
BTW, after reviewing the "connective tissue" chapter of my A&P textbook yesterday, I must disagree with whoever said that Gunilla has rosacea. I think she has lupus.
 
That school is really small, and is probably on the extremely ultra-low end in terms of quality of education, but at least it seems like its TRYING to become a real medical school. If what they are saying on their website is true, they are much more legitimate than stewart. Best of luck to that school, and here's to hoping that they can develop a decent program.

My beef with stewart is that its CLEARLY a scam artist scheme. Just dishonest, societal parasites preying on unsuspecting people.

Oceania has promise, it appears. They're at least graduating students who are eligible to sit for the licensing exams. Stewart seems to be pure scam.
 
I loved the picture page.

They divide it into:

1) Pictures of the inside of a classroom with stuff stacked up in the corner. Also, apparently the pictures of "first semester" and "second semester" were shot on the same day with the same students.
Well, it IS an accelerated program, you know.🙄 :meanie:
 
Can someone find out if they have anatomy lab? Dissection is an age old tradition in medical training and I would hate to think that when I go to Stewart I won't get that type of instruction...
 
I watched the videos of Saul the "medical student" and was especially impressed with his advice.

"Not much advice for MCAT because it has nothing to do with medicine"; "From what I remember of interviews ask yourself the hardest questions like what can I do to affect the health of veteran's affairs and um society at large".

Watching this trainwreck is horribly addictive.
 
I watched the videos of Saul the "medical student" and was especially impressed with his advice.

"Not much advice for MCAT because it has nothing to do with medicine"; "From what I remember of interviews ask yourself the hardest questions like what can I do to affect the health of veteran's affairs and um society at large".

Watching this trainwreck is horribly addictive.


I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys watching it talk. Read some of the comments, they're just as fun.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love how his best attempt at retaliation is "what medical school do YOU go to?" 😆

Uhhhh, one that has admissions standards? 😆
 
Thank you guys for contributing to this thread!!! This is by far the funniest thread I have ever read on SDN. Several times throughout this thread, I found myself laughing really loudly - at the insanity that is Stewart U and at your comments.