stewart university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haitwun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need opinions, is this real or does it sound like a scam?

There was an advertisement in the school newspaper about a med school accepting people without MCAT, letters of rec or even an undergraduate degree. So I went to the site and applied. Not even 24 hours later, I get a call from the "chancellor" asking me a bunch of questions and then, he says he'd like to "extend an offer of admission" to me. So now, I'm supposed to pay a $750 deposit to start school immediately.

Sounds very very weird. Especially because they refuse to disclose the location of the school until I've paid my "deposit". On top of that, what kind of f&@#d up school would accept students without MCAT?

Let me know what you guys think.

www.stewartmed.org

Members don't see this ad.

That site has "scam" written all over it. Don't bother.

That site has "scam" written all over it. Don't bother.

um...

Q: Where is Stewart University conducting their medical classes?
A: Stewart University School of Medicine basic science classes are conducted in Ventura County, located in southern California, USA. Stewart University has had break-ins to our website by competing medical school students. The computer hackers were reported to the FBI, because they stole proprietary information and illegally published it on the Internet in a chat room/blog.

Therefore, the exact location of current medical classes is kept confidential, and provided only to those students who have paid their fees and been accepted to the medical school. Stewart University upholds the utmost privacy to its faculty and students.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is beyond strange. It's almost frightening! Look at that main picture on the home page. They're studying Mendel's dihybrid cross and there's like 3 students in that room. Couldn't they have at least put up a slide on something directly medically relevant? I'm sorry, but it appears as though this 'school' (that is still in the process of even getting foreign accreditation) isn't trying very hard to seem convinving. There is something very, very odd about this.

By the way, please PLEASE don't send them money.

And ok ... someone please click on the "Faculty" link. For starters, like 90% of the positions have yet to be filled. But even that aside, do those people not look completely cracked out??! Oh my god, it's like the Twilight Zone...

They aren't accredited by LCME -- that's going to cause you problems participating in the match. At best, since they claim to be under foreign jurisdiction, you'd have to apply as a FMG. But since they don't even mention the accrediting entity by name so you can't check and see if a 5th-year pathway would work.

If you want to practice medicine in the US I'd stay away from Stewart.

I like this one:

Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school. A new medical student, just beginning their medical school basic science instruction, has 16 months in the accelerated Stewart University M.D. program, before they even take the USMLE exam, which they need to pass prior to taking their clinical rotations. The clinical rotations can usually take place in a variety of locations - where the medical student desires.

Even better! (and taking about five seconds of effort)

From a story posted on Onlypunjab.com about Stewart U's $5k, live-instruction, PhD-only-for-teachers MCAT class, the following description was attached:

Stewart University, is currently based in San Jose, Calif., offers a new MCAT Test Prep and Review Course to prospective medical students who wish to improve their odds of getting into med school by increasing their scores on the Medical College Admissions Test. Founder and Chancellor William B. Stewart, III, holds a bachelor of science degree in physics from the University of California-Santa Barbara, a master's in bioengineering from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and has attended graduate schools in physics at the University of California-Irvine, electrical engineering and computer science at George Washington University in Washington, DC, and medical school at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and in the Caribbean.​

What distinguished school in the Caribbean, might you ask?

From the American University of Antigua College of Medicine website, and dated 2/26/06:

Coordination between Dr. Ramsey and AMSA was spearheaded by William B. Stewart III, a member of AMSUS, AMSA and an AUA medical student, while, coordination between AMSA and the High School was facilitated by Miss Ami Patel, also a student of AUA.​

Apparently, all a chancellor has to do these days is be a graduate of the prestigious AUACM -- in fact, there's no proof yet that Mr. Stewart III even has his MD, or is close to finishing it. Note he only claims two actual degrees, despite implying he has five. :laugh:

Haha, I know, right. Yes prospective Stewart Med students ... forget about the fact that in 2 years you'll need to have a place to do your rotations. That doesn't matter. Just focus on the fact that you'll have 16 months of imaginary basic science courses to complete in your imaginary accelerated program located in the Village of the Damned, CA. Yikes. If I went there, I'd have nightmares of running into Chancellor in a dark alley.

I like this one:

Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school. A new medical student, just beginning their medical school basic science instruction, has 16 months in the accelerated Stewart University M.D. program, before they even take the USMLE exam, which they need to pass prior to taking their clinical rotations. The clinical rotations can usually take place in a variety of locations - where the medical student desires.

Haha, I know, right. Yes prospective Stewart Med students ... forget about the fact that in 2 years you'll need to have a place to do your rotations. That doesn't matter. Just focus on the fact that you'll have 16 months of imaginary basic science courses to complete in your imaginary accelerated program located in the Village of the Damned, CA. Yikes. If I went there, I'd have nightmares of running into Chancellor in a dark alley.

That's it, I'm totally going there next year.

Yeah, I agree. I think you'd actually be safer going to the Caribbean for medical school.

Weird, though. AAMC has them listed as a site where you can send your MCAT score. :confused:

Yeah, I agree. I think you'd actually be safer going to the Caribbean for medical school.

Weird, though. AAMC has them listed as a site where you can send your MCAT score. :confused:

It reeks of making money off desperate pre-meds who are afraid to FMG their way to a US allo residency.

It's a pretty clever setup though, and hits all the right points. However, they really need someone to write better copy.

(And hey, Mr. Stewart, if you refund the tuition I'm sending from my Nigerian bank account, I'd be happy to provide some good copy for you.)

Edited to add: nothing against the foreign schools, but there are plenty of people who'd rather believe this school was legit than trundle off to Antigua to get the actual, licensed degree.

Members don't see this ad :)

What? Are you sure? I just looked on AAMC and don't see them listed anywhere, and even did a search. Please correct me if I'm wrong and post a link to where Stewart is mentioned, please, as I will be shocked if it's listed on any website that is credible.

What? Are you sure? I just looked on AAMC and don't see them listed anywhere, and even did a search. Please correct me if I'm wrong and post a link to where Stewart is mentioned, please, as I will be shocked if it's listed on any website that is credible.

Positive. Goto THx and click on 'send all of my scores'. You can select 'Stewart University' from the list box that says, 'Other US and Canadian Med Schools: '

Positive. Goto THx and click on 'send all of my scores'. You can select 'Stewart University' from the list box that says, 'Other US and Canadian Med Schools: '

A school receives MCAT thru THx doesn't mean that school is a LCME medical school. Some graduate biomedical science program (Wayne State, for example) can use either MCAT or GRE scores. Some post-bac program can also receive MCAT scores. Stewart clearly is a scam.

I attend Stewart University; So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies.

Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about. But trust me.... You don't.

I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.

This is how bad info gets passed around.

If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do. Cos some premeds believe anything they hear.

I attend Stewart University; So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies.

Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about. But trust me.... You don't.

I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.

This is how bad info gets passed around.

If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do. Cos some premeds believe anything they hear.

The super-secret location is Ann Arbor? You must really be hating your med school, to be interviewing this cycle while simultaneously attending your M1 classes. Until now, I wasn't aware the Chancellor had family. :D

yeah... it's a fark.com reference that I thought was appropriate. (and that reminds me, I'm no longer home)

...though I think I found a new sig line.

Someone needs to open the StewartSOM Class of 2011 page in Allopathic.

yeah... it's a fark.com reference that I thought was appropriate. (and that reminds me, I'm no longer home)

...though I think I found a new sig line.

No, no, no, it's a two-year program. Join the Class of 2009!

hey, not everyone learns at the same pace, my friend.

That's true. All my...charity...work in Nigeria has clearly let me enter with M3 standing. Someone's gotta be the leader.

They used to have a testomonials page on their site. It was pretty hillarious. I'm paraphrasing but it had quotes like:

Sounds cool, I'd like to hear more! - Tony Martin
Great job on the new school! - Jim Smith

So funny. I read it and was stuck between laughter and thinking WTF?

this stewart university sounds amazing, i wonder where it's ranked in usnews

They used to have a testomonials page on their site. It was pretty hillarious. I'm paraphrasing but it had quotes like:

Sounds cool, I'd like to hear more! - Tony Martin
Great job on the new school! - Jim Smith

So funny. I read it and was stuck between laughter and thinking WTF?

it's still there! www.stewartmed.org/testimonials.html :laugh:

Q: Where can I practice if I have earned a M.D. degree with Stewart University, an 'Internationally' accredited school?
A: You would be an International Medical School graduate, and can perform a residency in any state in the US and any other country of your choice, to the best of our knowledge. Although selection to residency programs is competitive, there are approximately 10,000 residency positions that go unfilled each year in the US. Upon completion of the residency program, you apply for an unrestricted license to practice medicine and surgery in whatever country you choose. Most US states (approx. 80 percent), and other countries are believed to accept your training and license you - although specifically it is decided on an individual basis.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

its replaced harvard as #1 last time i checked. :sleep:

No kidding. Plus, it's a well-known fact that we are believed to have the highest board score average (~300, median) in the U.S. :D

hahaha i love how they provide a great education for their current students with only 3 out of their 6 faculty positions filled...two of which teach "Biochemistry and Human Genetics"....

they might as well teach literature, physics, and PE too.

Those were great. Here are my favorites:

Congratulations on your success with the new school. Best of luck with your future endeavors.
Elizabeth Bulat, American Medical Student studying abroad

I would love to be involved in a start-up University! This would be great!
Steven Woodward

I fully understand the nature of your new school and would be most interested.
Roger Masser, DPM

These are probably cut/pasted from e-mails that he has received.

here are the usnews stats

overall score: 100 (+1 extra credit)
peer assessment score: 5.0
residency direc. score: 5.0
avg. undergrad GPA: 4.0
avg. MCAT: 14 (cumulative 42)
acceptance rate: 0.004%
NIH grant funding: -$4000 (fined for stealing cadavers from VA hospital)
faculty student ratio: 1 (3 teachers for 3 students)
tuition and fees: $500,000
total med school enrollment '07: 3

yes, but you can pay your tuition via paypal!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks OP, I needed a good laugh today...

Even better! (and taking about five seconds of effort)

From a story posted on Onlypunjab.com about Stewart U's $5k, live-instruction, PhD-only-for-teachers MCAT class, the following description was attached:

Stewart University, is currently based in San Jose, Calif., offers a new MCAT Test Prep and Review Course to prospective medical students who wish to improve their odds of getting into med school by increasing their scores on the Medical College Admissions Test. Founder and Chancellor William B. Stewart, III, holds a bachelor of science degree in physics from the University of California-Santa Barbara, a master's in bioengineering from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and has attended graduate schools in physics at the University of California-Irvine, electrical engineering and computer science at George Washington University in Washington, DC, and medical school at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and in the Caribbean.​

What distinguished school in the Caribbean, might you ask?

From the American University of Antigua College of Medicine website, and dated 2/26/06:

Coordination between Dr. Ramsey and AMSA was spearheaded by William B. Stewart III, a member of AMSUS, AMSA and an AUA medical student, while, coordination between AMSA and the High School was facilitated by Miss Ami Patel, also a student of AUA.​

Apparently, all a chancellor has to do these days is be a graduate of the prestigious AUACM -- in fact, there's no proof yet that Mr. Stewart III even has his MD, or is close to finishing it. Note he only claims two actual degrees, despite implying he has five. :laugh:

ouch...that's tough for my alma mater...I'd rather my school be known by people for Sanjay Gupta, thank you very much...

i love how stewart's website design is so regal, like you'd be attending medieval times for medical school. this is the greatest thread ever posted on sdn.

here are the usnews stats

overall score: 100 (+1 extra credit)
peer assessment score: 5.0
residency direc. score: 5.0
avg. undergrad GPA: 4.0
avg. MCAT: 14 (cumulative 42)
acceptance rate: 0.004%
NIH grant funding: -$4000 (fined for stealing cadavers from VA hospital)
faculty student ratio: 1 (3 teachers for 3 students)
tuition and fees: $500,000
total med school enrollment '07: 3

LOL, thanks so much for De-stress me today.

Gee whilikers guys, Stewart University just doesn't sound honest or legitimate to me for some gosh darn reason even after visiting their totally awesome website. Luckily for you, I have my own fully accredited medical school. All you have to do is send $120,000 (30,000/year) to

Attn: Dr.You're a *******
******* Medical School Dept of Admissions
15 ******* Lane
Stop Being a *******, NJ 07871

you premeds are alright.

ive found the campus secret location! from the 'campus photos' (http://stewartmed.org/campus.html) I know exactly where they are (i lived in oxnard):

here it is on google maps: http://www.google.com/maps?q=Ventur....142942,-119.191822&spn=0.002451,0.006781&t=k

its the peach-roofed building. Nice location next to the ocean and all...only downside is that im pretty sure what they are calling their 'campus' is an old community center.

Please tell me those aren't actually 'students' in the photo on their homepage.

Notice how the fat jolly Biochemistry and Human Genetics professor Ed Nolan is the one sitting in the picture posing as a student. Look at the blue shirt. What a fatty.

Pay the 750 and theyll mail you a diploma in 2-3 business days. Ed Nolan will actually sign it.

And why are all the people wearing world war II era uniforms in the Administration photos. A little wierd.

oh, and it makes me sick that this scam artist shares almost all of my initials. :spam:

ive found the campus secret location! from the 'campus photos' (http://stewartmed.org/campus.html) I know exactly where they are (i lived in oxnard):

here it is on google maps: http://www.google.com/maps?q=Ventur....142942,-119.191822&spn=0.002451,0.006781&t=k

its the peach-roofed building. Nice location next to the ocean and all...only downside is that im pretty sure what they are calling their 'campus' is an old community center.

Awesome sleuthing, WGB! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Golly, it just looks so nice there. Plus, you'd get to tell your friends that you're going to a Cali school. :D Too bad about the whole "community center" thing...

Hey everyone, can anyone tell me how Stewart University compares to Hogwart's? I've heard great things about both!

have any of you seen "accepted" the movie? this looks just like it. complete with crack head professors.

you guys :laugh: but here's some serious scoop
I talked with stewart. he says classes are on a military installation in ventura county--i called all over on those bases (Port Hueneme and Point Mugu)including the JAG. they ain't there! Says he has direct permission from the base commander--wrong; base CC has legal and the education office handle those issues. In fact, base said SU did ask to hold classes on base but were denied because in order to teach on base, you must meet the State's requirement which SU does not do. LA Times 12Jan07 page B5. ask for fraud section--LA Times has now verified from Navy officials that SU does not teach on the base. We know stewart is looking at this site--smile for the camera stewart--you should have come clean when you had the chance. Will you divulge the information now????? OOOOPPPPsss probably grabbing money and getting the _____ out of the country:p

hey my grandpa hangs out in that peach building all the time! i didn't know they held a med school in there. :laugh:

ok im just making that up but i wish i lived in ventura county now.

ouch...that's tough for my alma mater...I'd rather my school be known by people for Sanjay Gupta, thank you very much...

well hey, at least you have this guy representing you as a (fictional) graduate.

Dr.House.jpg