Still on a waitlist and waiting...blah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Cafepinay

You feel me?? I think my family and friends are tired of my whining...that's why I wanted to post. **sigh** :rollseyes:

Thank you for your time.

We feel ya Cafepinay.....welcome to the club. The wait sucks but talking about to people who understand helps.
I also try not to think of Plan B...unfortunately my plan A was also my plan B and C....:D Talking about good planning.

Life is strange though I have to say.

My uncle just stopped by and he asked when I will start school :)( ). I told him HOPEFULLY late August...he said good that means we have to have a big barbeque for that. I think he didn't hear the "hopefully" part.

My aunt asks me about it all the time and I just want to yell her head off to leave me the heck alone....if I was accepted doesn't she think I would be jumping for joy and have told the whole world by now!!!

My co-workers know that I am also applying and everyday I show up to work is a sad reminder of my waitlisted state. I am praying that they do not see my face in Sept.

Members don't see this ad.

guys,

i had a strange dream last night....In the dream someone that has posted their misery on this thread got in to med school....and they got a full ride scholarship.....wiered.....i hope it comes true.....

knish

Originally posted by knish
guys,

i had a strange dream last night....In the dream someone that has posted their misery on this thread got in to med school....and they got a full ride scholarship.....wiered.....i hope it comes true.....

knish

Wow....that's a nice "dream". I can tell ya one thing for sure, it ain't me...maybe it will be you Knish.....:clap:

Just checking in yall:

I just emailed the admissions officer at one of my schools.

Knish and everyone else,

Do you know where you stand on the waitlist? Are you emailing the admissions people at the school you are waitlisted at?
Email them to make sure they know that this person really wants to get in. I mean you have nothing to lose.

Members don't see this ad :)
well as you know i'm waitlisted at SUNY Buffalo.....and this has been my school for undergrad and grad school.....so i know quite a few people here.....

I walk by the addmisions office everyday....and i usually see Mr.Rosso who is the admissions administrator. he has told me that i'm in the middle third of the waitlist. i also know that they are somewhere in the middle third of the list....but where the list is and where i am is the big question.....i don't understand what the big deal would be in telling me...pete you are 5 spots away from getting in....just be patient...or pete you are 25 spots away....you should start looking at other options....what would be the harm in that....

but to answer your question....no i have not been emailing them since i see them almost everyday.....blah.....+pissed+

20 days left....at least my FAFSA is submitted now....:rolleyes:

knish

Quoted from the admissions officer I just emailed this morning:

"At the moment the class if full. We have not had a withdrawal in a week.
You are getting closer on the waiting list however, there are some
applicants ahead of you at this point. We start school on 8/2, so it will be close" :( :( :( :(

This is soo sad. No movement in a week and there are even people ahead of me. Got that right it's going to be close...too close. I am taking "some applicants ahead of you" to mean 5 or more people:( .

Fat chance in heaven that 6 people will withdraw in the next
1 1/2 weeks.

:mad: :mad:

Breath.........breath............breath:oops:

WOOOOHOOO KNISH...you are moving up.

Someone got an acceptance from SUNY BUFFALO on another thread....just thought I'd share. At least your waitlist is moving....:clap:

thanks bushbaby.....

i saw that.....i already PM the person to find out more info.....that is encouriging though.....when will it be my turn though....

if i ever get into med school i will try my hardest to get onto the admissions comitee so that maybe i can make this whole process a little bit more bareable.....

11:15 AM and still no phone call....maybe after lunch...hmmmm...lunch...food....thats a great idea.....LUNCH TIME!!!!!wasting time is fun...

knish

Can I vent also??...

I am only on one waitlist after only one interview out of 33 schools. School doesn't start until Aug 28 so I still have over a month left of this grueling process. I just got out of a meeting at work and people were asking me if I was taking vacation time in Aug because we need to plan who will be here and blah, blah, blah! I just want to go to freakin med school...screw vacations at this point!!! I am so happy I am not going through this alone.

Hang in there my friends!

Originally posted by holler79

I am only on one waitlist after only one interview out of 33 schools.

WOW man that is harsh. VENT ON!!!!

I really want to march into the adcom office at each school and literally put my hands around someone's neck until they accept me. Do they know how frustrated/crazy they are making me?. They sit there behind their comfy seats telling me to "wait, be patient, hang in there, the list is moving slowly".blah blah...+pissed+

Do they NOT know that my future is in their freaking hands?????

I know Holler79, you don't want to go on vacation, and if you do take a vacation it will be a 4 year vacation, so you can go to med school in between.
;) That's the type of vacation I want also.

Life is soo unfair....we should email this thread to all the schools we are waitlisted at to let them see what they've caused.

okay it's 12:38pm- too early for lunch to late for breakfast....

Off to go email another dean.......I'll post his/her response (if I get one).

bushbaby and others....what do you say in your emails to the dean.....i'm thinking of sending something today...but i don't really want to be too pushy????

any advice...

knish

bushbaby and others....what do you say in your emails to the dean.....i'm thinking of sending something today...but i don't really want to be too pushy????

any advice...

knish

yeah you don't want to come off as pushy. I sent a short nice letter re-stating my interest in the school.

Para 1- greetings, who I am (applicant for the 2002 entering class) ..yadayada.. no need to get too specific(undergrad/home address/blah blah)

Para 2- My status with the school and the purpose of my letter (to kiss @$$)

Para 3- Optional paragraph here. If you have something interesting to say, then say it (i.e...like you just developed a new way to cure cancer, as opposed to the old way you developed-which you already stated in your personal statement). I didn't have anything new to say so I omitted this paragraph.

You can even leave a number to contact you for any additional info.

Close

I sent you a PM Knish

This was the response from the dean I just emailed

"Ms. _______, The Class has remained rather constant, so the alternate list is moving quite slowly. I am not very optimistic, but anything can happen. Best wishes."

:( Oh well...I guess it's over now that the fat lady has sang.

ok...so i got a response from the director of medical addmisions from UB...it reads as follows....
quote:
Hi Peter,
We are getting close to your name, but the list has been moving very slowly lately. Dr. P
end quote

CAN SOMEONE F@#ING TELL ME WHAT THE F#%^ DOES THAT MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

:mad: +pissed+

anyways...another day squandered.....and i'm still not in.....

knish

Members don't see this ad :)
ok...so i got a response from the director of medical addmisions from UB...it reads as follows....
quote:
Hi Peter,
We are getting close to your name, but the list has been moving very slowly lately. Dr. P
end quote

CAN SOMEONE F@#ING TELL ME WHAT THE F#%^ DOES THAT MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

:mad: +pissed+

anyways...another day squandered.....and i'm still not in.....

knish

Peter/Knish from what your Dean wrote...it seems like you are on the same pace as I am. Our names are moving up but the list still isn't moving up quite fast enough before school starts. +pissed+ +pissed+

AGHHHHH.....
Another day is gone and tomorrow awaits us. Let's cross our fingers and hope something GREAT happens tomorrow (like 15 people from each off our schools withdrawal for whatever reason).
I'll put that into my prayer request tonight.:mad:

What's so frustrating is that other waitlists are moving a lot (i.e. UF - now having gone through ALL the waitlistees and now offering acceptances to people they rejected!) while the ones we're on seem to be totally stagnant! Damn our luck!:mad: +pissed+

Originally posted by barb
Damn our luck!:mad: +pissed+

Yeah.....you can say that again.:mad:

Anyway I am checking in for today:

It's just past 9am(on the east coast) and so far nothing much has happened.

I think I'll give the deans up until around 10-11am to pull my name off the waitlist and probably toss a coin to see who will actually call me to give me the good news.

:clap:

bushbaby and barb....

its 11am on the east coast and looking on the email that i got yesterday i don't think i'll hear anything soon.....

little by little i'm slowly loosing hope....oh well.....

i actually started applying for jobs yesterday.....might as well start working on my plan B....

anyways.....i hope one of you will hear soon....we need some good news on this thread.....by the way...i guess my dream yesterday did not come true.....i guess i'm not clairvoyant......

trying to keep a smidgette of hope alive
knish
:confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :(

Okay it's just past 11am.

If anyone browsing this thread happens to have any inside info on the waitlist at the following schools, please do not hesitate to holler at us regarding any info.

Albany Med
Howard
Jefferson
Meharry
NYMC
Penn
Rush
SLU
SUNY Buffalo
UMDNJ-NJMS
UMDNJ-RWJ

If you have any *special* powers, please work your magic to make the waitlist of the above schools move super fast in the coming week. :clap:

Everyone else, please pray that these waitlist show some movement in the coming weeks.

If you know someone hanging on to an acceptance from these school, but they aren't interested in attending, please tell them to give up the spot...because other people are waiting patiently.

Thanks
:)

Ditto... may I add Columbia and NYU to the list? :) matriculation at my '
accepted state school' is Monday, August 5.... :confused: :confused:

Adding Columbia and NYU

If anyone browsing this thread happens to have any inside info on the waitlist at the following schools, please do not hesitate to holler at us regarding any info.

Albany Med
Columbia
Howard
Jefferson
Meharry
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
SUNY Buffalo
UMDNJ-NJMS
UMDNJ-RWJ

If you have any *special* powers, please work your magic to make the waitlist of the above schools move super fast in the coming week. :clap:

Everyone else, please pray that these waitlist show some movement in the coming weeks.

hello my fellow waitlisters. i have been reading your waitlist anguish and finally decided to join your group. here's my story: 27 applications, 3 interviews, 25 rejections, 2 waitlists at SIU and Rush.

i don't count my SIU waitlist status because they mostly only accept people from southern IL (which counts me right out). their waitlist is ranked and the last time i called, the admissions lady told me that "the waitlist hasn't moved much, and from your position on the waitlist, we may not even get to you". that sucks, but at least she was honest.

i am a little more optimistic about rush.....but not much. i am in the top 25% of the waitlist (whatever that means). and school doesn't start there until sept 3, so i have a little bit.

in the meantime, my plan B is to do my masters in public health at USC and then apply again. that program starts on aug 14th. it will really suck if i move out to LA and start the MPH program and then hear back from rush. IF that happens, I will definitely pack up and move all the way back (as big a pain as that will be) because i really want to go to rush and i DO NOT want to go through this whole med school app process again if i don't have to.

i thought about applying again this summer to start in 2003, but i don't feel like i have done enough to strengthen my application yet and my masters would take 2 years. so i think i will apply to start in 2004. if i took the mcat in april 2001, can i use it to apply next summer or will it be too old?

that's about it for now. just wanted you all to know that there is another person out there who is going through the same thing you are. good luck. hope someone hears from somewhere today

There there Queen....we feel your pain.

It's been hell but you said your school start in sept so you have at least 4 weeks left.

Don't give up on either schools and it ain't over till it's over. You have to hang in there.
I wish I would have applied to a master's program. I graduated in 2000 and If I had done my master, Iwould have had it by now. If I don't get in this year that means I will have to apply for the 2004 entering class. By then I can already have my masters (if I enroll now).

This sucks..I feel like I am wasting time waiting for medical school. I don't know. Maybe it's not too late to start exploring my options with a master's program.l

Alright...it's the 4pm check out...I figured all hope for the day is lost.

I just emailed the dean at another school that refuses to mail out my acceptance notice. I'll post his reply tomorrow or later today...depending on how quick he replies.

Another day, another NON-acceptance! Only 11 more days before orientation begins at all three of the schools leaving me hanging. Adding them to our list:

Albany Med
Columbia
Drexel
Howard
Jefferson
Meharry
Mount Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
SUNY Buffalo
UCLA
UMDNJ-NJMS
UMDNJ-RWJ

Another response from la Dean:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we have had very few withdrawals this year and it is unlikely that we will reach you. I regret I could not give better news.

Sincerely,"

AGGGGGHHHHHHHHH :mad: +pissed+

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system...let's move on to plan B shall we.

hi all,

another day in front of us.....lets keep our heads up.....

just wanted to check in......9:30 am

bushbaby....have you been thinking of reapplying.....i am seriously considering it....i just def don't want to spend the money if i don't have to....

+pissed+

ok....time to waste time and sit here and wait....

knish
:mad: :mad: :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused:

Honestly Knish, the only thing holding me back from an acceptance is/was my mcat scores. So for me to re-apply I have to re-take the test and raise my scores.

I have already been looking at Kaplan for course prep dates. I also sent for NYU's MPA program brochure(and looking at other master programs that doesn't require GRE). I would prefer to go for the MPH but only columbia univ offers it (and they require GRE) but the tuition is $23,000...that's a lot.!!!!
Maybe I should go out of state? But I always wanted to make the move only to medical school not to attend some other program

I figure I might as well earn another degree while chilling. If nothing comes true then I will be taking the April '03 mcat and re-apply then.

You know what they say "third time's a charm".

I should have applied to UF....their waitlist is moving super fast.:(:( .

I have a questions...I have not spoke to anyone in admissions at the school I am waitlisted at since June 28. They had already clearly stated that they would not give out our ranks on the list. Should I check in and call again or just send an e-mail? When I spoke with one of the asst deans in June she said I was "further down the list" but there was still a lot of time because they had only just created the wait list in June and it wasn't even finalized yet. It was hard for me to speak with her though because the office staff didn't really want to put me through I felt. I try not to sound desperate to them but I feel like I always will.

Good luck today!!

Holler79,

I would email her first. Most dean's read their email very often thru the day. So she can give you a prompt answer.
If she doesn't reply, then you can always call and say that you emailed her and you just want to follow-up.

Also, I find that when i email it's easier for me to say what I have to say point blank: Is my name moving up or what?
When on phone, I tend to go into 9ussy mode.....It is harder for me to say what I have to because 1) I am nervous/scared 2) I am afraid of the truth and 3) what will i say if I get bad news. At least over email they can dish me the truth and it's easier for me to swallow.....I'd probably busrt into tears over the phone. This is, ofcourse, assuming I get bad news. If it's good news then I'd rather hear it over the phone.

Thanks for the wise advice Bushbaby, I'm going to e-mail her.

I am hoping you get the good news you've been waiting for. WHEN you get it I will be the first to say :clap:
Keep Hope Alive..It ain't over til it's over and it ain't over yet.

Originally posted by 2badr
I am hoping you get the good news you've been waiting for. WHEN you get it I will be the first to say :clap:
Keep Hope Alive..It ain't over til it's over and it ain't over yet.

Well, we've been keeping hope alive for about 6 months now. In the beginning his health was great, then he fell terribly ill, but then he got better about 3 months ago. He really showed remarkable progress.

In the last month his health has dropped significantly. Right now, hope is really struggling to stay alive...I am afraid he won't make it(thru the summer). We give him 4 more weeks. :(

Originally posted by BushBaby

Well, we've been keeping hope alive for about 6 months now. In the beginning his health was great, then he fell terribly ill, but then he got better about 3 months ago. He really showed remarkable progess.

In the last month his health has dropped significantly. Right now, hope is really struggling to stay alive...I am afraid he won't make it(thru the summer). We give him 4 more weeks. :(
Then put him on life support,dang-it!!!! ( I gotcha Bushbaby)

DDDD**************MMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN

Another day has gone by..........SHHHH*********TTTTTTTT

No acceptance yet.....................FFFFFFFFFF************CCCCCCKKKKKKKK

:mad: :mad: :mad:

C'ya tomorrow.+pissed+

STILL NO ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!!!:mad: +pissed+

To add to my pain, today was especially stressful at work, so after work I was hiding in my classroom (I teach 7th grade) cleaning up, trying to avoid talking to anyone because my head was about to explode. One of the other teachers who no one likes and who I can't stand decided she wanted to visit with me, and when I told her now's not a good time, come back another day, she did not get the hint. Then she started asking me if I had heard back from any of the medical schools, and when I told her no, she couldn't keep the smile off her face. Beaming with happiness, she suggested I apply to schools in the Caribbean and said she hoped I'll be teaching again this fall (as opposed to getting into med school). What the F*ck? She came in for a friendly visit, then she took so much pleasure putting me down on something that means so much to me.
To top off my lovely day, I received a hospital bill today in the amount of $1,275. Since the school district where I work doesn't believe that the health of its teachers is important in the summer (even though I'm still teaching during the summer), they cut off my health insurance as of July 1st. Well, July 5th I had an emergency and had to go to the hospital. I went to the county hospital (which is supposedly free for those without insurance), waited half the day for some child-doc to say he thought I had a brain tumor but he wouldn't run the test to make sure, and then was released without any resolution of the problem. And because I am not unemployed, I have to pay them the full amount.
Just when I thought I hit rock bottom...

its F R I D A Y!!!!!!!!

after today i will have exactly 16 days to get in....but its really not 16 days cause that includes the weekends....so i really have 10 business days....at the end of today i will be officially throwing my hands up....blah.....

i have not slept regularly in a very long time....and i hope maybe if i just give up hope maybe i'll have some peace in my life.....

barb...i'm soooo sorry about your bad day.....i hope you have a more relaxing weekend.....

its 9:45 and knish is checking in.....

knish

ps i'll be waiting impatiently till 5 pm today.....blah...
+pissed+ :mad: :mad: +pissed+

Okay it's about 12:36pm, I am checking in later than usual today.

This is because I am NOT as work, I went to take my drivers license exam and I PASSED...WOOHOOO. I am so happy. This was my second time taking it...so I was also nervous. Hope the good day continues and I hopefully hear something from a school.:clap:

It is nice to see that others are in the same dire situation! I am also on only one waitlist! But my wait ends August 1st, because that is the orientation date. I have said all week long that I really want to be in by the weekend, because this last weekend is going to really suck! But with only 2 hours and 7 minutes to go, it doesn't look good. :(

Barb, it sounds like your day was horrible! I really hope that things work out for you. With co-workers like that, who needs enemies or waitlists!

ok....another day with no new info.....

well at least i have the weekend to look forward to....

hope everyone has a relaxing and fun weekend....

knish out

I am happy I wasn't at work today...this allowed me to keep my mind off this waiting process.

Sorry to hear about your bad day Barb.

Fluffly, I hope you hear something soon (before the 1st). When I hear things like this I get really nervous because I will be in your shoes this time next week. My first waitlist accepts people until next friday and so far the list hasn't moved in 1 1/2 weeks. So I will pop an extra prayer in there that something moves next week. Do you know where on the list you stand, fluffly?

Knish....we meet again...LOL. I will be here next week, same time same place...you know the (pathetic) drill.

I don't know but for a day that I didn't get an acceptance, I don't feel so bad.....this is all because I wasn't stuck behind my desk all day long feeling freaking frustrated. It drives me nuts. At least at home I can watch TV but at work,I do nothing but worry about medical school. Today, I was outside enjoying the world.....ahhhhhhhhh.

I wish that all our waitlists show movement. Hopefully 10+ students will decide that they made a mistake and applied to medical school instead of law school and withdrawal their acceptances. :laugh: (Law school, Medical School....it's very easy to confuse the two).

Just checking in. Thanks you guys for your warm thoughts. Just 9 more days of waiting and then the horizontally-challenged lady will have sung! At least today was the last day of summer school so I can just relax for the next month (or cut that to a week if I'm lucky). I hope that next week will bring good news for all of us!

I have six more days before my first waitlists goes kaplunck. I am including the weekends because I figured time is running out and they will like to contact waistlisted students ASAP to find out if they are still interested or if they should move on to the next student on the list.

So six more days for me (sun-friday):eek:

Knish:

No word on the list serv about movement.

Good Luck

AK

You know, it's funny how most people get excited about the weekend. As for some of us, we get excited about the weekend...ending. (I don't have a job like many of you, so i actually look forward to Monday...hehehehe...just another weekday of hope, I guess.)

Hmmm, as for Monday, it's gonna be one week until orientation, and still no call, and still no apartment for me. I couldn't resist checking out the "Who's going to SLU for sure" thread, and it made me kinda depressed. I know, I know, I shouldn't have looked, but hey, lately I'm automatically drawn to anything that says "SLU."

Hope you're all faring better than last week :) For those of you with rough days at work, **hug** See you Monday.

I agree cafepinay...weekdays are IN and weekends are OUT.
This is decision week for my first waitlist (aug 2nd).

I had a lovely chat with my mother yesterday and she, more or less, said that if I can't manage to do well on the mcat (because if I had done better I would have had my acceptance by now) how do I expect to do well in medical school?
Well thanks for the words of encouragement Ma!!!!!!:clap: Talk about having confidence in your kids :(

Anyway she sorta was pushing at the fact that I don't have an ACCEPTANCE yet...and I had to keep telling her that I was on the waitlist and she kept saying "that means they didn't accept you"!!!!!!!!!!aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (I mean if you want to rub it in, I guess YES I DON'T HAVE AN ACCEPTANCE, YES NOBODY ACCEPTED ME)

She then recommended that if I don't get in I should retake the exam (well duhhhhhhhhhhh). To save myself, I said I was already researching my options for grad school. She then suggested I should go into computers (naaaahhhh...that's not me).

This is horrible. But hopefully something happens. +pissed+

bushbaby keep yur hopes up.....

start of another week.....lets hope someone from this board gets in this week.....just keeping my head up and trying to go on with another day....

knish

And then there were 2 weeks left of hope to get into medical school this year. Honestly, I'm not too hopeful. But it's ok...I'm happy with the AP program at Finch so far.

Bushbaby I hope you get in this year. Your mom loves you and just don't want to see you getting hurt. But you have your own life to live and your own dreams to accomplish, which isn't n'sync with her dreams of you. She doesn't know that your dream is attainable and the waitlist means that you are ACCEPTABLE. My mom is the same way too but she never tried what I am doing so she doesn't know what I am going through. Again, never get discourage and keep at it. Like SDN members Focus and mpp said, "don't say 'what if'." If being a doctor is truly what you want to do then go for it with all the energy you have, I HOPE YOU GET IN. GOOD LUCK.
PS-Look at my signature.

Thanks for your words. I am trying to hangin there. Personally, I am not mad about re-taking the MCAT and re-applying. But it just makes things worse when your whole family looks at you like some failure and tell you to do something else because you won't succeed at the path YOU chose.

Life is short and I intend to play hard....;)

Well, when you get that big fat ACCEPTANCE letter then they all will think twice. Then you will feel what people say that SUCCESS IS THE BIGGEST REVENGE and make them think twice (some of the people thats telling you that you can't just don't want to be left behind). Just keep on pushin and God will open a way when its right for you. I always view life as a serious game without a reverse button, don't have regrets. Good luck.