Still on a waitlist and waiting...blah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two-part post

Dear Queen,
You were wondering how I spent the last eight yrs with the app cycle: Studied 1994 MCAT. Took classes at night and MCAT in 1995. Served as laughingstock for admissions offices nationwide due to 3.0 undergrad gpa and no science requs. Took classes 1996 and suffered death of best friend (read:freaked out for a while). In 1997 I opened a business and starved/made tons (for me) of cash. In 1998 I realized that having a cool car/crib was a tangent and returned full-time in 1998-99 (MCAT and straight A's). I was told I'd get in "somewhere" by everyone. I was rejected across the board (evil!).

Members don't see this ad.

Part two of two:

Went to school full-time/worked full-time over 2000-2001 school year and reapplied. Most-favored
lost 'scripts and wait-listed for 2nd yr. Volunteered 2001-2002 and reapplied to get accepted this yr. to big ten program (not easy). I had 31/S MCAT on each occasion and had all- A's in 60hrs of post bacc/grad work. I ran a program for at-risk kids over 1998-99 (awesome) and volunteered at a hosp over 2001-2002.
This is such a difficult process. I wish you all the best.

Jon

Okay, I have been doing some thinking over the last few days and I figured that if I don't get (by end of august), I will return to Kaplan to take the GRE exam and apply for an MPA program(spring '03 entrance). Starting spring, I will then quit my job to take full-time MPA classes. It's a two year (at least) program full time and can take 3-4 yrs part-time. I can't afford to go part-time, its wasting time. I'll live with my parents for free rent & food.

I will also try to retake the mcat(in 2003) and do better. Then re-apply for 2004 entrance and IF I get in I will defer one year(to 2005 fall), so I can finish my MPA in the spring of 2005.

That's my plan. Don't ruin it. LOL:laugh:

Should I quit my job and go full time? that's my issue with this. It will allow me to focus on my studies and give me time to study(Part time) for the mcat.

I want to register for the kaplan GRE course that starts early Aug, but i have no choice but to wait and see if I get a med school admission first( I don't want to pay $1000 to kaplan only to find out that I got into medical school). Meanwhile, I'll get the books at the library and just study by myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, sounds like a plan. i heard that if you've taken the MCAT, the GRE seems like a cake walk. i dont know if this is true, but a lot of people say that. good luck.

I am sooo pissed, I was talking to my male co-worker about my plan for medical school and my plan B for grad school. So my other fat(excuse me cause I am mad) shrek looking(according to the company Chief medical officer) co-worker brings her nosy ass into the business. She knows about my medical school plan and "I" was the reason that she now decided that she too wants to apply to medical school-dream stealer. She claims she always wanted to go to medical school-no you didn't u hairy ass!!! You got 3 masters degree...if u wanted to do medicine you would have done it already!!!!!

She is studying for the aug test-claims she is doing badly (GOOD).. Anyway so she is always asking if I "heard from any schools?"... Like "No bitch, if I heard anything I would have quit already and you would know asswipe."

Anyway so she hears me telling my male coworker(cause he was asking me how would I move last minute to attend medical school) how moving if a medical accepts me is no big deal. So the fat bitch says while smiling her stupid smile "oh poor baby she is still dreaming about her medical school" as if yeah only in my dreams will I get in. The male co-worker looks at her because he realized the effect of what she said. How DARE she say that????

I wanted to choke her hairy ass. I believe she is secretly praying that I DON'T get in so I don't quit and I can stay with her while she applies and gets in!!! DREAM STEALER. She is always asking me, "did you hear anything yet?" Like the fact that I say "no" will mean that her evil-wishes for me are coming true. It's one of those things where somewhere "pretends" they are ur friends but behind ur back, they don't want you to succeed.

I just want to kill her, I am not talking to her. That's why I was sharing my GRE plan with my other sincere male co-worker(who has no reason to wish evil things on me).

F*CK!

I understand your frustration completely.

I donot she really knows what's ahead of her. She is trying to hurt you indirectly but ignore her comments . Ignoring her by showing that you are determined to get in even if it takes a few years will scare her away but feeling bad about the whole issue will make her to laugh at your frustration.

I am on one waitlist now. One of my schools just started today so I will be expecting a rejection letter by Friday.

My significant O is seriously thinking of leaving me. She/He thinks that I am a loser and She/He can do better in some great romance. She/He says I am too worried about med school and should think about something else.

I am also great trouble with debts.

Thanks Patient. I am completely putting her on my "ignore" list. This is why I don't tell people about my plans because I feel they will be working against me. I don't do that to people and I don't see why they choose to do that to me.

One of my waitlist(RWJ) also starts their orientation today as a matter of fact. I completely forgot until this morning. I remembered on friday when they didn't call me, since friday was the last day they pull people off.

You are not a loser and you know what? (truthfully) you should leave him/her because this is just a sign. If he/she isn't willing to stick by you when it's rough then you will have problems. Looking at life as a whole, this process isn't even rough really-there are worse things that can happen to someone and where will he/she when you are going thru a REALLY rough time?. That's people in general though, everyone wants to be around when you are laughing but when you start crying and need a shoulder to lean on or need a pick-me-up, they all suddenly leave. That's not the kind of environment you need around you in life anyway. I bet he/she will be happy to be your Significant Other (SO) after you finish med school and start making ur money.

How can you quit thinking/worrying about medical school? Applying to medical school involves worrying, studying in medical school involves worrying and doing your 500 a week rotation involves worrying. Worrying comes along with the territory.

You know what though, I can't really blame you SO. There are sooo many people out there who do not understand this process of applying to medical school and how it's a lifelong dream for so many applicants, and they don't get in it's a HUGE mental/emotion blow. They just can't understand.

Hey Bushbaby,

Not to burst you bubble about grad school but I know that a lot of medical schools refuse to consider candidates that are not going to finish their programs before the fall start date. I had a friend in a Physics PhD program that got rejected his first year cause he couldn't guarantee that his degree would be completed before August.

Any way, I am pulling for you to get in this year!

Hey guys, I have been watching this thread for a while. I am in the same boat as most of you. My one school i am waitlisted on starts next monday and the last day they take people off this list is THIS FRIDAY. Anyway the dean of admissions told me i was really close to getting in. So do you think most med schools have at least one or two spots open up the last week.

Originally posted by stringy
Hey guys, I have been watching this thread for a while. I am in the same boat as most of you. My one school i am waitlisted on starts next monday and the last day they take people off this list is THIS FRIDAY. Anyway the dean of admissions told me i was really close to getting in. So do you think most med schools have at least one or two spots open up the last week.

You still have time Stringy, as long as you are fortunate enough to have NOT applied to the schools' I applied to where the waitlist moved very slowly this year(RWJ and NJMS).

People can still get pulled off during orientaion week- I am not sure if your school follows this policy.

Keep your interest evident to the dean, since he/she says you are close you want to make sure if a spot opens up, it's your name they will replace it with.

*Good Luck*

Originally posted by Sammarai
Hey Bushbaby,

Not to burst you bubble about grad school but I know that a lot of medical schools refuse to consider candidates that are not going to finish their programs before the fall start date. I had a friend in a Physics PhD program that got rejected his first year cause he couldn't guarantee that his degree would be completed before August.

Any way, I am pulling for you to get in this year!

That's correct. It's called "cherry picking", and most med schools won't do it. If you want to go to grad school that's great, but don't apply to med school again until you can guarantee you'll be finished with the grad program by the time you matriculate. Good luck with this year though!

OK, so I took the advice and I e-mailed rather than called the admissions office of the one school I am waitlisted at on Friday 7/26. On Monday morning July 29th I received an e-mail from the secretary saying that she forwarded my e-mail to the asst. dean and that hopefully I would get a response from her soon. Well, its been a week and I've got NO response from the dean. What's up w/that??? Should I call or e-mail again. I know they are crazy about not giving us any info about the wait list but this is torture. By the way, on Friday 8/2 I received a packet from this school saying that I am still on the list and that names were being pulled off until 8/28, and to get my physical and shots in case I am accepted, blah, Blah, etc.

I am in agony here, a slave to my hotmail, because I keep on hoping for a line from this dean! I'm afraid they'll just be pissed if I call...mind you I haven't called since June 28th because they said there was nothing I could do but wait because there list is ranked. BTW, they discouraged me from writing a kiss ass letter of intent because it does not mean a thing to them.

Anyone out there think I should just call and ask to speak to the dean???

Bushbaby...What an evil bitch of a coworker! :eek: You know, her attitude makes you more determined to get into medicine!! Seeing her makes you more confident that you have something truly positive, sincere, and humane to give to the future of medicine, and she doesn't. :) AND I hate it when people snoop into my business, so I know the feeling...

patient...let your significant O leave you. He/She doesn't understand, and will not give you the support that you need at this most crucial time. BUT make sure you get in a final word first...:D He/She doesn't deserve you. It'll hurt, but in the end, you'll be happier, I'd think.

stringy...I totally feel you!!! One waitlist, class starts Monday, last day to hear Friday...I wonder, which school??

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by holler79
OK, so I took the advice and I e-mailed rather than called the admissions office of the one school I am waitlisted at on Friday 7/26. On Monday morning July 29th I received an e-mail from the secretary saying that she forwarded my e-mail to the asst. dean and that hopefully I would get a response from her soon. Well, its been a week and I've got NO response from the dean. What's up w/that??? Should I call or e-mail again. I know they are crazy about not giving us any info about the wait list but this is torture. By the way, on Friday 8/2 I received a packet from this school saying that I am still on the list and that names were being pulled off until 8/28, and to get my physical and shots in case I am accepted, blah, Blah, etc.

I am in agony here, a slave to my hotmail, because I keep on hoping for a line from this dean! I'm afraid they'll just be pissed if I call...mind you I haven't called since June 28th because they said there was nothing I could do but wait because there list is ranked. BTW, they discouraged me from writing a kiss ass letter of intent because it does not mean a thing to them.

Anyone out there think I should just call and ask to speak to the dean???

Call to speak to the dean....and just say it's a follow-up call to the email you sent(tell the date you sent it). Hopefully the dean will be more receptive. Start calling now because time is wasting and you want to show that you are really dying to attend....you have to play the desperate role.

Originally posted by Cafepinay

I STILL BELIEVE IN MIRACLES. I still believe in a reason for everything. And a lot of times it's not what we expect. It's disheartening for us (I was quite depressed yesterday, knowing that orientation's gonna go on on Monday and I won't be there)...and sometimes it feels better to just sit in a corner and sleep so that the time passes by.

I truly believe in miracles. Last Friday I called up all 3 schools where I am waitlisted and was told there was very little chance of getting off the waitlist since orientation starts today. This weekend, I made my peace with the fact that I would have to reapply. This morning, just as I was telling my mother how I have accepted the fact that I was not meant to be successful (at least not yet), and I'm just going to do my best in whatever I do and be happy just being alive and healthy, the phone rang. I was offered a spot at my first choice school!!!! I am still in shock!!! Who knew that your life could change in a 30 second phone call?

Good luck to all of you!!! Good things will happen, they will just happen when they are meant to happen. In my case, I was meant to apply to 40 schools last year and not receive a single interview. I was then meant to randomly run into one of my old professors at my work (not at school) who offered to review my application and offer advice on how to improve. Then I was meant to spend this year teaching inner city kids, so I could see first hand what true suffering really is. Finally, I was meant, to be next the phone at 10:30 this morning to receive my call welcoming me to the class of 2006!

CONGRATULATIONS Barb!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

What school will you be attending?

For all of you other guys waiting, hang in there! I know some good things will happen soon for you! :)

Originally posted by barb

I truly believe in miracles. Last Friday I called up all 3 schools where I am waitlisted and was told there was very little chance of getting off the waitlist since orientation starts today. This weekend, I made my peace with the fact that I would have to reapply. This morning, just as I was telling my mother how I have accepted the fact that I was not meant to be successful (at least not yet), and I'm just going to do my best in whatever I do and be happy just being alive and healthy, the phone rang. I was offered a spot at my first choice school!!!! I am still in shock!!! Who knew that your life could change in a 30 second phone call?

Good luck to all of you!!! Good things will happen, they will just happen when they are meant to happen. In my case, I was meant to apply to 40 schools last year and not receive a single interview. I was then meant to randomly run into one of my old professors at my work (not at school) who offered to review my application and offer advice on how to improve. Then I was meant to spend this year teaching inner city kids, so I could see first hand what true suffering really is. Finally, I was meant, to be next the phone at 10:30 this morning to receive my call welcoming me to the class of 2006!

hello all.. i haven't been on this board long.. but i've been a long time lurker..

to make a long story short... last year... after 10 applications (instead of 30 because i bombed the mcat).. 3 interviews and 1 waitlist (which happened to be my top choice since high school).. i was in the same position as all of you are here.. it was around the end of july when i basically gave up all hope.. and made peace with going into a masters program and retaking the mcat and reapplying..

school was starting on august 22nd.. anyways.. i ended up going on a weeklong vacation because i needed to get away from evreything and relax.. when i got back.. i received a voicemail from the adcom office.. i was accepted 1 week (august 15th) before school started.. however.. i wasn't the last to be accepted.. there's one individual that gained an acceptance during orientation week..

so there is still hope.. i just wanted to give a few words of encouragement of keeping up with the faith.. i sure needed it last year.. and i know u guys/gals need it too.. good luck to you all.. and when you DO get accepted.. don't moan and bitch about how difficult medical school really is.. be grateful.. because it's what you want.. and if you want it badly enough.. you'll get it eventually..

Originally posted by CatsAreKillers
CONGRATULATIONS Barb!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

What school will you be attending?

For all of you other guys waiting, hang in there! I know some good things will happen soon for you! :)

Thanks Cats...! I'll be attending UCLA.

WOOHOO...congratulations Barb.....another one goes off the list.:clap: :clap:

It's soo wonderful that you got pulled off during orientation week. That just gives up to the rest of us. Good Luck.

CONGRATS BARB!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

GOOD LUCK AT UCLA:) :)

Holler79,

DId you call the dean yet? Try contacting (via email/letter) the dean AND the admissions officer.

I sent a letter to the admissions officer yesterday(so she should get it by friday) then I will send another one to the dean tomorrow. I didn't want to send it the same day...(incase they got it at the same time, since the letter is the same except for their names on tops). Don't want to blow up my own spot.

Bushbaby,

I called the adcom office this morning and the secretary said that she would notify the asst dean and hopefully they will call me back sometime today. They flat out told me back in June that a letter of intent, aka "I will do anything if you let me in med school" letter was not helpful and would not even be read in the first place...hence the reason I try not to bug them and call constantly. Whatever, hopefully she'll call me today and I'll know something.

have a good day everyone!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hollar,

You can sent a letter of intent "diguised" in a update letter.

I PM'ed you.

CONGRATS BARB!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope the rest of you get in soon......I'm pulling for all of you with all my heart........

knish

BARB!!

WONDERFUL!!!!!! :clap: :clap: I knew you'd make it!!! You will be a GREAT physician!!

thanks bushbaby...i'll take that advice!

That crazy co-worker of mine just came by to say that I should take Kaplan with her next year for the April 2003 exam.

Meaning, she already has it down that I WON'T get in this year.....what a jerk!:mad:

Go get started on that letter Hollar, every day is precious you can't afford to lose days.

congratulations barb, after what you've been through i cannot think of a more deserving person. to the rest of you, you'll find your medical homes soon enough, we all have great faith in you.

CONGRATS BARB!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
and what an awesome first acceptance to get! My parents have 4 degrees from UCLA between them and I am considering applying to UCLA for residency. I have nothing but the greatest respect for UCLA. congratulations again; i think it's great that you and your fiancee will not have to move far:)

After a year of strife and waiting. After a year-long search for closure and resolution, tragedy, and defeat, the moment has finally come for me too.

I am olympic gold, bradley, willy, litespeed is better, and shamthis.
I have been a member of this thread since its conception, under various names.

And now im off:
REJECTED from 3rd waitlist of 3.

But HEY, I'll be around all next year. And my names gonna stick: shamthis. Funny thing is, the past changes were inspired by a forgotten password. But this one's engraved in stone.

See you all next year, in the 2003 waitlist forum.

Sorry about your situation Shamthis.

I still have two waitlists to go. One is pretty much lost hope (NJMS-starts 12th) but hey what the heck...I figure since I haven't gotten my official rejection letter, anything can still happen.

Someone on SDN just got off Howard alternate list, so I figure there is still a ray of hope left for me. Even though RWJ started this monday, I still (in my heart) hang on to the hope that maybe they might still call me.
I don't even know if I have hope/faith or if I am foooling myself and living in a fantasy world.:rolleyes:

During the past few weeks I was unable to post but had the time to read this thread quite regularly...Although I obviously don't know any of you, I was following your posts, hoping that at least one of you would get some piece of good news. Some of you did, some are still waiting, others got buggered (I'm English) quite severely by the Admissions committee who clearly don't know what great candidate they've lost.
What I truly want to say, is that, if it's really in you to become a doctor, please don't abandon your calling, despite those rejection letters and the grueling wait and those times when you want to burn your MCAT books and tear your scalp off. Let me put it this way, you owe it to your future patients.

Tata

This morning classes started for first years at my top choice. What sucks even more is that I work here and I had to see my friend and her classmate go off to embryology together at 9am while I was heading to my office. This sucks!!!!:( I should have been going to class with them, instead I am still working and waiting for a phone call.

OK...enough bitching for now. Hope someone gets pulled off today.:D

Which school is that Holler79?

I called Howard and my position hasn't changed(still waitlisted) but hopefully something happens by next week.

im praying for you bushbaby...keep your head up!!!

Thank you Calbear.:) Lord knows I need a lot of prayers.

hi there bushbaby.....

i'm still following you on this thread.....praying for ya everyday....and if one of the schools does not let you in I say SDNers should boycott those schools....just a thought... :mad:

I really truelly hope you get in soon....although i'm already in med school my nerves are shot because i keep worrying about you and all the other people that have posted their waitlist horror stories....

try not to give up hope.....it took me 3 years to finnaly get accepted....and i hope you don't have to go through that kind of torture, and you get in this cycle......so then we can swap stories about anatomy....step 1....and other fun med school expiriences....

:clap:
knish

I truly want to cry. Especially for Shamthis. I have applied to 34 schools and if just one of them rejected me, I would hope the spot went to one of you. I know we are applying in different cycles, but I just want you all to have it.

I am feeling really sad. If there is anything I can do, even support . . or just lend a ear to listen, my email is [email protected]. Please use it. I want to be there for those of you that need it.

My prayers and good thoughts are with all of you deserving people.
Tweetie

i feel really bad too :( it makes me sad to read this thread. i wish you all the best of luck.

Knish,

When does/did your school start?

I start orientation on the 12th of Aug. so just in 4 days....

keep your hopes up.....and stay the course....you'll get there bushbaby.....

knish

does anybody know if there is any movement in the waitlist of any of the following schools:

Suny downstate
NYU
Any Philly schools
George Washington
Georgetown

thanks

Nero

Originally posted by nero
does anybody know if there is any movement in the waitlist of any of the following schools:

Suny downstate
NYU
Any Philly schools
George Washington
Georgetown

thanks

Nero

I have no idea how those waitlists are moving. I don't know anyone who applied/got in into these schools. Sorry.

Originally posted by nero

Suny downstate
NYU
Any Philly schools
George Washington
Georgetown

thanks

Nero

nero,

don't know about the other schools but apparently Temple's waitlist movement is due to start soon and continue throughout August. GW has had a lot of movement, but mostly in June. g'luck.

Look alive guys.........anyone heard any news lately?

I called one of the schools to find out if there has been any movement and the secretary was soo rude.....

I have about two more weeks of worrying left.

I was finally able to speak with the asst. dean on Wed. and she told me that I had about a 50/50 chance of getting pulled off the list and that she did not want to get my hopes up but she also didn't want me to be unprepared if they reached my name.:eek: :confused: So I guess my glass is either half full or half empty??? My mom is so my #1 cheerleader saying that we are still in the running! Oddly, the dean also used those words, "still in the running!!" This is by far my longest race.

OK...I still have 2.5 weeks to go. Hang in there bushbaby and others!:love:

Try to have a fun weekend!

Hi all,

In about 4 hours and 15 min. this application cycle will officially be over for me. :(

I'm going job hunting next week. Thanks for all your support, I hope that those who are still waiting will hear something very good very soon, and I truly admire those of you for whom this is a second or third time applying. You are my inspiration! :clap:

Reading from the other posts for SLU(where you are waited at)...they take students until aug 12th...

AUG 12th IS THE LAST DAY....NOT AUG 9TH....GOOSHDARNIT!!!!!:clap:

At least that's what I read from that thread. And it also seems that people get called on Fridays.....and do you know what today issssssssss?

FRIDAY!!! :clap: :clap:

This is my semi-second time (really my first though) and things aren't looking good.:(

I applied in fall of 1999 (after aug mcat scores were released) I withdrew my AMCAS application...does that count as applying?:confused: