Still on a waitlist and waiting...blah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do I write one of those letters (to the adcom) to keep my file updated?

I am thinking of sending this to one of my waitlisted schools (they don't rank people and they advise you not to call. The best way is to send them a letter or whatever to update your file).

I have switched jobs since applying and I have done some volunteering. So I wanna send a letter in since that's the only method of communication they want to receive.

So do I send a letter (of intent) then attach a resume type thing with my lastest activities?

The last day they remove people from the alternate list is Aug 25th. So I figure I will send this letter in 2 weeks prior. They claim they randomly pick students off the list....ya sure...I've heard that before.:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...........another boring day spent at work.
Well the day is over, closing time is approaching. My manager just stopped by to ask about my med schools plans. I told him I was on three waitlists and basically have until Aug 26th to throw myself out the window.

Well tomorrow is another day....now I know why I hate Mondays.

KNISH IS IN!!!!!!!!

today at exactly 4:10 pm I got a phone call from SUNY Buffalo medical school offering me a spot in the class.......I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

I'll be a medcical student........thank you all for your amazing support and I know all of you will get in also...

:clap: :clap: :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh:

still can't belive it...

knish

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats, knish. as a first time applicant this year i'd be lying if i said i didn't find this thread severely disheartening, but you've been through a lot and it must feel sweet right now

:clap: :clap: :clap:

knish, you spelled "medical" wrong ;)

congratulations nevertheless :clap:

Originally posted by knish
bushbaby keep yur hopes up.....

start of another week.....lets hope someone from this board gets in this week.....just keeping my head up and trying to go on with another day....

knish

Pinch, pinch....Yay! Kinsh is still awake!! :) Looks like that "someone" was you!

I'm really really happy for you
:clap: :clap: Now you can feel free to post on any "SUNY Buffalo 2006" threads! yeah!

Hmmm....who's next??

Congratulation Knish!!!!

I've been following this thread and have kept my fingers crossed for all of you--until now, every time I have read it I have wanted to cry--I know how frustrating the wait can be. To everyone else--keep the hope alive!

Congrats Knish...good Ol' buddy. Hate to see you leave but it is for the best.

See I told you that dream you had was about you...although there is no mention of a scholarship. See anything can happen.
Congrats again and good luck.

Keep your fingers crossed for the rest of us.

:clap:

Congratulations Knish! That is awesome!!! I'm totally happy for you!!!

Bushbaby, Hang in there. I'm still waiting too and I just spent the weekend with my mom and grandma and was totally frustrated when talking about the whole thing with them. Going through this process now twice has made me really want to change my career choice, but the more I think about it, the more I want to be a doctor. I was watching this Disney movie this weekend about this lady who lost her dotcom job and had to become a high school teacher. It turned out that she had studied dance at Julliard so she became the dance team coach. She had dreamed of being a dancer all her life, but no matter how hard she tried, her parents always made her feel like she wasn't quite good enough. So even though she was good enough to get into Julliard, she still felt like she wasn't good enough and she quit after two weeks. After that she always wondered if she could've made it. I don't ever want to wonder what my life WOULD HAVE been if I HAD followed my dreams. Even if I have to re-take the MCAT and re-apply to med school one hundred times, I WILL BE A DOCTOR!!! If that is you're dream, then nothing and no one should stop you. And don't worry about your performance on the MCAT; my boyfriend's brother totally struggled through the whole med school process and now he is one of the top surgeons in England. And a lot of the people he went to med school with who had an easy time and sailed right through, are struggling as practitioners.

:D :clap: congrats, knish!!!!

wow, knish. that's awesome! congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's sooo great knish. You must still be in a daze..i know i am just starting to believe i'm actually going to be in med school soon. CONGRATS, now relax and enjoy the feeling! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Everyone on waitlists...HANG IN THERE!! its not over yet!

Two part post!!
Dear Apps(esp Queen/Bushbaby),
I was just accepted to Iowa this year as an out-of-state(IL) guy. It was tough to get in. I've read and shared all of your struggles because... it took me 8 years to get in. Yes, you read that one right! I was a history major with a 3.0gpa from undergrad and 31MCAT. I took 60 hours post-bacc and got a 4.0 throughout while doing tons of volunteer work and working full-time through most of it.
My best friend got cancer several years after college and I began studying for the mcat as a free agent. I took it in '95 and got a 31. I applied but had zero pre-requs done. I was ignorant as to what the requirements were, and learned the hard way.
I got the hint and spoke to counselors at several med-schools and went back to take science classes at night, then full-time, and full-time again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been a poster child for wait lists these last three years with some schools not even interviewing me after having followed their instructions precisely. AMCAS was not my friend at any point in the game. They jammed me with a disc error and evil comedy of errors involving fax #'s and payment last year. This cycle, I was complete in early July but not "verified" 'til Jan 4. That left me hanging for many schools which have rolling admissions and don't interview until verification is complete.

I've had so many depressing days through this entire time, but I have maintained my goal. There is no person I know who has stuck with this longer. I suspect that if I were smarter, I would have gone with "plan B". You know what? There never was a "plan B" This is what I've had to do since my best friend got sick and went through his bone marrow trans. He died, but I've never let it go.

THIS IS THE LAST ONE (4 TOTAL)

Family and friends often asked, "Oh, aren't you done with med school yet?" Sheepishly, I replied that I have not even started. I don't know if I hold some sort of record, but I will say I was at the end of my rope every year for the last three years. Stress, depression, self-loathing, trying to figure how I didn't measure up to a subjective (?) set of standards... I have been through it all.
This process nearly killed me, but I never lost focus. It was the only thing I knew. Keep moving forward! I wish you all the best of luck..and if there is none, just know, in your heart, that this is what you want to do.
I am with all of you in spirit! Just a few months ago, I thought it was B.S. about "if you just try hard enough, you'll succeed". Perhaps there is some truth within this statement. I think the greater truth lies in our internalization of its meaning and how we manifest who and what we are.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to go Knish congratulation

Hope that I can hear soon from them

CONGRATS kNiSH!!! We will miss you on this wait list hell thread. Good luck at Buffalo..my co-worker just left for med school there.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats again Knish

Jon340,

You story is moving and amazing. I don't know if I have the energy to go through this process more than twice. I am at the brinkof checking into the psych ward right about now. Applying to medical school is a very emotional draining process. It's like nothing I have ever gone through before but I know will be well worth it(being a doctor). Congrats on your acceptance to IL.

Hey Knish!

My congrats go out to you! You need to share some of that good luck. When do you start school?

Still waiting!!!!

Thank you all for this amazing support....:love:

From the bottom of my heart I hope all that have posted here with their agonizing stories will get in VERY soon. Keep your hopes up and NEVER give up.....It took me 3 years and i made it.....

keep your head up and i'll be praying for you all....

knish

jon340,
i commend you on your perseverance. thanks for the words of encouragement. i just hope that if i don't get in this time, i have the same strength that you did to go through all this again. how many times did you apply to med school? did apply consecutive years, or did you wait a year btwn aps?

knish,
congrats on getting in!! hopefully more of us will follow:)

Hey,
After three years, two application cycles, four waitlists, a hell of a lot of stress I can finally say I will be a med student in the fall. I got the call last night, but I haven't been able to post since the switch. Good luck all and keep trying.

Congrats Bradleyp:clap:

Okay this thread was sorta pushed back so I had to bump it back up for those of us still waiting.

Well today is wednesday and I have until Friday before my first waitlist shuts close it's doors.

After friday then I have until the 26th for my next school.

Anyone else with a fast approaching waitlist deadline?

All 3 of the schools where I'm waitlisted start on August 5th so in just a few days, the whole process will be over for me. I've experienced a rollercoaster ride of emotions ranging from very hopeful to total despair. I don't know if I'll feel relief or depression when it's all over and I know for sure that I have to reapply.

Wow Barb,
Are you re-applying next year? re-taking mcats? I am not trying to think too far into the future but I can't help it.

Alright, Knish is gone so this is the remaining list for the remaining waitlisters:

Albany Med
Columbia
Howard - Aug 25th
Jefferson
Meharry
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
UMDNJ-NJMS -Aug 12th
UMDNJ-RWJ - Aug 2nd

I added the last day they said they were taking students off the list.

And the wait continues
+pissed+

Bushbaby, I will definitely reapply. I will re-take the MCATs in April and then reapply next summer. So if a miracle doesn't happen in the next few days, I will spend a minimum of two more years waiting to start med school, but I have no alternative. There's nothing else I want to do with me life.

I'm adding the schools I'm waiting for to the list along with the dates they start orientation.

Albany Med
Columbia
Drexel - Aug 5th
Howard - Aug 25th
Jefferson
Mount Sinai - Aug 5th
Meharry
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
UCLA - Aug 5th
UMDNJ-NJMS -Aug 12th
UMDNJ-RWJ - Aug 2nd

adding NYMC

Albany Med
Columbia
Drexel - Aug 5th
Howard - Aug 25th
Jefferson
Mount Sinai - Aug 5th
Meharry
NYMC - AUG 5th
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
UCLA - Aug 5th
UMDNJ-NJMS -Aug 12th
UMDNJ-RWJ - Aug 2nd

I heard the last day to hear from Mt. Sinai would be this Friday, August 2nd.

Originally posted by barb
Bushbaby, I will definitely reapply. I will re-take the MCATs in April and then reapply next summer. So if a miracle doesn't happen in the next few days, I will spend a minimum of two more years waiting to start med school, but I have no alternative. There's nothing else I want to do with me life.

I'm adding the schools I'm waiting for to the list along with the dates they start orientation.

Albany Med
Columbia
Drexel - Aug 5th
Howard - Aug 25th
Jefferson
Mount Sinai - Aug 5th(Fri, the 2nd)
Meharry
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
UCLA - Aug 5th
UMDNJ-NJMS -Aug 12th
UMDNJ-RWJ - Aug 2nd

Thanks for the info, Supafly. I guess only 2 more days of waiting. Damn! I hope we see some movement. At this point, I'm praying for a miracle.

Also, today I called Drexel and Kelli Kennedy said they will be accepting people throughout orientation week so even though orientation starts Aug 5th, there may be acceptances offered up through August 12th.

So here's the revised list:
School - orientation date (last day accepting people)

Albany Med
Columbia
Drexel - Aug 5th (August 12th)
Howard - Aug 25th
Jefferson
Meharry
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
UCLA - Aug 5th
UMDNJ-NJMS -Aug 12th
UMDNJ-RWJ - Aug 2nd

Albany Med (August 28th)
Columbia
Drexel - Aug 5th (August 12th)
Howard - Aug 25th
Jefferson
Meharry
NYMC
NYU
Penn
Rush
SLU
UCLA - Aug 5th
UMDNJ-NJMS -Aug 12th
UMDNJ-RWJ - Aug 2nd

_Just a note...I work at Mt. Sinai and the most informed MD I know told me that they take people off the wait list during the first few days of hope so Barb you may have some extra time. I am pulling for all of us as we start the August countdown._________________

;) ;)

Sorrry, I meant to say at Sinai they pull people off during the first few days of CLASSES!! So you can still hope. Anything is possible.:)

Tomorrow is my first deadline and I really hope what you guys/gals have been saying (about pulling people off during orientation even though they stated a diff. deadline date) is true.

I don't mind starting school a week after classes ...I don't care if they call me to start in November ....I'll go.

I hope something happens between today and tomorrow.....I got a backache which means something good is going to happen...(I think).

I emailed the admissions officer yesterdat at a RWJ since Aug 2nd is D-day (and she usually always replies back really quick) but she didn't reply :( I guess she didn't want to be the bearer of bad news......:(

I'm with you, Bushbaby, willing to go whenever I am called.

Thanks for the info, Holler. Any additional hope at this point is greatly appreciated.

The wait continues...

+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

I got this response from the dean I emailed yesterday...

"Hi,

We have not had any movement from the list for over a week. We'll see
what happens over the next 24 hours.

*****"

Is she saying this to make ME feel better?:confused:

I find this kinda funny because it looks like she actually believes a miracle will happen in 24 hours to make the waitlist move.......lol:laugh: :laugh: Silly admission officer.....if only she knew...:(

Ahhh....3 o clock and the end of another work day in the midwest.

And Monday's orientation day...I mean, I have until the 9th to hear, but come on, coming from Cali, it'd be nice to be oriented (as opposed to disoriented)

Bushbaby, that dean's response is pretty shady...24hrs? Has someone been asleep at the admissions office for a week and woke up to find "Oh shoot, all these withdrawals stacked up and here I've been asleep!! Gosh darnit!"

Hey at least your dean responded....I emailed mine 2 weeks ago and still nothing. I'm afraid to email again. Possibility of being me being moved down the list?? I have a feeling.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to look at job opps and post bac programs.

See you guys tomorrow. Those crrrazy admissions officers!! We never know what's up their sleeves!! :laugh:

Hey, while we're waiting, we might as well try to keep our sense of humor.

Originally posted by Cafepinay

And Monday's orientation day...I mean, I have until the 9th to hear, but come on, coming from Cali, it'd be nice to be oriented (as opposed to disoriented)

At this point, I wouldn't even mind being disoriented. I just don't want to have to reapply.:(

bushbaby what school was this???

The school I emailed was RWJ.

I am sure if they follow the policy of accepting students during orientation week/first day of classes. All I know is that Aug 2nd is the last day they pull students off the waitlist.

I had several chuckles yesterday on the way thinking about her response.........24!!!!LOL. It's as if SHE is the one living in the disillusional world, she doesn't want to accept the fact that it's OVER, I AM SCREWED. I HAVE NO CHANCE OF GETTING IN THIS YEAR. :mad:

I am so pissed because all along the application process it was this school that I had as my back-up because they said my chances were great due to my position on the waitlist....now all of a sudden the list isn't moving anymore. Just my bad luck......ahhhh I am used to it by now anyway.:(

salut les copain.

Maaannnn. I am in the boat with you guys. Two waitlists, no chance off the list.

I was extremely frustrated and annoyed. But now, I have decided to go to the caribbean schools. I cannot afford to have the same thing happen next.

More to that, I cannot afford a post bac program and retaking the MCAT will be too expensive. My best shot is go abroad.

I care less about what people say. I have a dream and I must chase IT.

I feel for you guys.

I was waitlisted at my first choice, and I got in, kind of late. I am going to a D.O. school though. If you must reapply, you might consider D.O. options if you haven't this year. I know the first time I applied, I didn't apply D.O. By my third application cycle, I applied exclusively D.O., and I could never be happier about my decision.

If a D.O. school said to you folks right now, "Sorry about your waitlisted status, but we think you are a good well rounded applicant. Come be a part of our next year's class." Would you tell them no? That's a rhetorical question, I'm not inviting any flames, I promise.

The answer to me was obvious.

hi all,

I am still checking this thread constantly to see the progress....I say a little prayer for you guys every night.....I hope that next week will bring more good news to this thread...keep your head up guys...there is still hope.....

:love:
knish

I want to wish all of you good luck as you continue to wait! I am comfident a signficiant number of you will receive the phone call you have been waiting for all summer and throughout this "hellish" process.

Although I was accepted to a couple places towards the middle of the medical school application process, I received phone calls over the last few weeks from two different schools inviting me to join their class. So, believe me, if I can get "pulled" from a waitlist, then all of you certainly can. Again, best of luck. Keep hope alive and, if not this year, then certainly next. Remember, if you made the waitlist this year, then with a little bit more tinkering, you should be accepted next year! This was certainly the case for me. Last year, I was in waitlist purgatory. Now, I'm finally on the inside! Good luck.

**cry** **Cry** **cry**

Today was the last day that RWJ claimed to be pulling students off their waitlist. I guess I know what it means now:(

I have a shot now at Howard which starts on the 26th so I better start kissing their @$$es over there. Maybe rwj will still take students next week when some already accepted students don't show up?

I can only hope.

OK guys, yesterday my mom called me at work all excited telling me that I got a fat envelope from the one and only school I'm waitlisted at. The packet described that people have been taken off the waitlist and will be continued to be taken off until 8/28. The letter was for ALL STILL WAITLISTED applicants and described immunizations and that we should get physicals and shots from our docs and health insurance in the case we are pulled off the list this month. My mom was all psyched because she said this means "we're still in the running and they would not make us do all this stuff if we didn't have a shot...blah, blah.."

What do you guys think of this? Is it some hope or something? I still know I have to keep faith like you all and my family thinks but I am so scared of rejection, etc. My mom explains that this is a good sign...she claims that since my brother escaped unharmed from the World Trade Center on Sept. 11th that God is with us and that our prayers will be answered, etc. I pray that she is right and that this is true and I will start my MD this fall.

Please let me honestly know what you all think. thanks and lets keep our heads in the game!!! happy August:) :) :) :)

Originally posted by holler79
OK guys, yesterday my mom called me at work all excited telling me that I got a fat envelope from the one and only school I'm waitlisted at. The packet described that people have been taken off the waitlist and will be continued to be taken off until 8/28. The letter was for ALL STILL WAITLISTED applicants and described immunizations and that we should get physicals and shots from our docs and health insurance in the case we are pulled off the list this month. My mom was all psyched because she said this means "we're still in the running and they would not make us do all this stuff if we didn't have a shot...blah, blah.."

What do you guys think of this? Is it some hope or something? I still know I have to keep faith like you all and my family thinks but I am so scared of rejection, etc. My mom explains that this is a good sign...she claims that since my brother escaped unharmed from the World Trade Center on Sept. 11th that God is with us and that our prayers will be answered, etc. I pray that she is right and that this is true and I will start my MD this fall.

Please let me honestly know what you all think. thanks and lets keep our heads in the game!!! happy August:) :) :) :)

All I have to say is go see the movie, "Signs," then you may be able to answer your own question. ;)

can i be part of your cool group? i'm on three wait lists and have yet to get a call. i suck, i suck, i suck. i'm gunna take the MCAT in august, but i just dont know if i can do any better. i cant possibly study anymore than i already am.

hang in there folks.

Bushbaby, you've still got Howard! :)....And maybe RWJ!! Who knows, I'd think that people not showing up the first week is pretty serious business for a med school.

holler79....I know, you've heard this many times before, but I'd take it as a ray of hope. You still have until the 28th; a lot can happen during this time. It is amazing how your brother got out of the WTC....wonderful! :)

At this point this is what keeps me going...and this is for all of you posting on this thread.

I STILL BELIEVE IN MIRACLES. I still believe in a reason for everything. And a lot of times it's not what we expect. It's disheartening for us (I was quite depressed yesterday, knowing that orientation's gonna go on on Monday and I won't be there)...and sometimes it feels better to just sit in a corner and sleep so that the time passes by.

twesting2173: WELCOME TO THIS THREAD! :) Sure you can join us; vent away...And no, YOU DO NOT SUCK.
Wow, we're "cool." :D heeheehee.

I really really appreciate you guys being "here." It feels really good knowing someone is walking this road with me, somewhere in the US. Kinda like a marathon; our friends and family and the ones who have gotten in are on the sidelines supporting us, and we're energized, but we know it's not quite over yet, and you're still running with me. Thanks. **hugs**

Originally posted by California
I want to wish all of you good luck as you continue to wait! I am comfident a signficiant number of you will receive the phone call you have been waiting for all summer and throughout this "hellish" process.

Although I was accepted to a couple places towards the middle of the medical school application process, I received phone calls over the last few weeks from two different schools inviting me to join their class. So, believe me, if I can get "pulled" from a waitlist, then all of you certainly can. Again, best of luck. Keep hope alive and, if not this year, then certainly next. Remember, if you made the waitlist this year, then with a little bit more tinkering, you should be accepted next year! This was certainly the case for me. Last year, I was in waitlist purgatory. Now, I'm finally on the inside! Good luck.

hey california! how are you man! any good news from SD? :) we are prayin for ya :D