Still on a waitlist and waiting...blah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and give you guys some hope. I was pulled off Northwestern's list just this Wednesday and I released a spot at MCW, if anyone of you is waiting. Good luck, and keep the faith!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by moo
Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and give you guys some hope. I was pulled off Northwestern's list just this Wednesday and I released a spot at MCW, if anyone of you is waiting. Good luck, and keep the faith!

Darnit....why didn't I apply to MCW...:laugh:

Congrats moo.....no one (that I know of currently) on this thread mentioned MCW...but hopefully someone else going thru this waitlist process gets ur opened spot.

Bump

Yupp....still waiting. Nothing interesting in the mail today. I'll see what happens on monday.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I really care, since I will not want to go there anymore anyways...but...ever since I sent my secondary along with my money order, I have not heard a word from howard. Interviewing at 3 top ten schools, I thot I would land one there. Not only did I not receive an interview, but I also did not receive a rejection letter (yet). Do you think they will bother to send me one? Should I write them a nasty letter telling them I spent 30$ + 40$ = 70$ for their service and will spread the word to tell people not to apply there?

Same thing happened to me with Howard. I'm into med school, so forget it...but still it's silly. I found a piece of paper on which they explain they will contact you at the END of the process (ie when classes start). But if they haven't interviewed you, why don't they send their rejection letter? I think it makes them look bad and disorganized to treat applicants the way they do -- it's embarrassing for the school.

Originally posted by yaoming
Not that I really care, since I will not want to go there anymore anyways...but...ever since I sent my secondary along with my money order, I have not heard a word from howard. Interviewing at 3 top ten schools, I thot I would land one there. Not only did I not receive an interview, but I also did not receive a rejection letter (yet). Do you think they will bother to send me one? Should I write them a nasty letter telling them I spent 30$ + 40$ = 70$ for their service and will spread the word to tell people not to apply there?

You probably should. You can't get your AMCAS money back though, because it was because of that that you got your secondary (which is really what they promised you anyway).
If Howard cashed your secondary fee, then I advise you call up to get your money back....that's just my opinion. If they give you flack, call everyday (at the same time) and scream and rant on the phone like a lunatic.

Originally posted by jonquille
Same thing happened to me with Howard. I'm into med school, so forget it...but still it's silly. I found a piece of paper on which they explain they will contact you at the END of the process (ie when classes start). But if they haven't interviewed you, why don't they send their rejection letter? I think it makes them look bad and disorganized to treat applicants the way they do -- it's embarrassing for the school.

DISORGANIZED IS THE WORD THAT WOULD SUM UP THE WHOLE PROCESS OF APPLYING TO HOWARD. I hope it's not the same when students actually get in.

Haha. Everyone is fed up with Howard.
I was just afraid that if I complain to their school, their dean and directors and faculty will know about me and spread bad rumors about me, or their faculty might move to another location. This would put my residency and fellowship match in risk. So I probably wont do it, but I would if I didnt have to apply residency and such.

:( Okay ladies and gentlemen...Monday has come and gone, and that's it, no med school for me this year.

I know I have to reapply (I WILL get there!), but I'm just so overwhelmed right now...how do get myself together again and reevaluate what I need to do?? I mean, i see the goal, and I know I can...it's just starting from the beginning again and taking the first step. It's so much different since I've moved back home...

Once again, thanks for all your support. I think I'll start a new support thread for those who didn't get in this year...:rolleyes:

Still, I pray for strength for me, and especially for all of you.

Don't lose hope unless your school of choice has already started with orientation!
I was accepted to UCLA as the LAST person in our class, a mere 20 hours prior to orientation!!! Cross your fingers, and wait by the phone!

http://www.medfools.com/premed/admissions.html

Give them a call, and let them know you are STILL interested!!
Good luck!

Cafepinay,
I'm so sorry to hear abou this. Applying just one year takes so much out of you -- financially, emotionally, time-wise. I wish it had worked out differently for you, and wish you the best of luck this upcoming year.

Originally posted by Cafepinay
:( Okay ladies and gentlemen...Monday has come and gone, and that's it, no med school for me this year.

I know I have to reapply (I WILL get there!), but I'm just so overwhelmed right now...how do get myself together again and reevaluate what I need to do?? I mean, i see the goal, and I know I can...it's just starting from the beginning again and taking the first step. It's so much different since I've moved back home...

Once again, thanks for all your support. I think I'll start a new support thread for those who didn't get in this year...:rolleyes:

Still, I pray for strength for me, and especially for all of you.

Sorry to hear this Cafepinay. Don't be broken. I wish you great luck during your next application process. :clap:

I am still trying to hang in there....might be posting a similar post like yours in a few weeks.:(

OK...I officially have 2 weeks left to go until the dreaded last day. I just wanted to check in to see how everyone was doing. I really hope good news is on the way. I want to be able to quit my job and start school! Bushbaby, I also have one of those annoying b**ches at work too! She just graduated and is applying to med school now. She thinks she knows it all and purposely tries to make me look silly in front of my co-workers.

Hang in there everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I WILL NOT LET THIS BREAK ME!!! I WILL BE A DOCTOR!! I have a reason to stay here for 2+ years and I mean to find it.

Check out my new sig below...I really liked it, and I'm gonna make it mine! :D Keep bouncing higher, guys.

Don' worry Cafepinay...I'm in the same situation. My waitlist ended on Monday and I was never called up. So now I'm gonna work my butt off this year to get my Masters and get in next year. Keep fighting and don't give up. We will end up in med school! Things happen for a reason, and I'm serious when I say that those reasons are unfolding in front of my eyes. Things are better than I thought they would be. Keep reaching!

Dr Will, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Good luck with everything you do this year and with applying.

Originally posted by holler79
OK...I officially have 2 weeks left to go until the dreaded last day. I just wanted to check in to see how everyone was doing. I really hope good news is on the way. I want to be able to quit my job and start school! Bushbaby, I also have one of those annoying b**ches at work too! She just graduated and is applying to med school now. She thinks she knows it all and purposely tries to make me look silly in front of my co-workers.

Hang in there everyone!!!

Well all I can say is that homegirl is not taking the mcat (this august anyway) anymore. She took this week off to study but she called me on tuesday to say that she isn't doing good on the practice test, so she is not taking the exam. She did make herself feel better by saying what "do I need with a MD degree? I have three masters. DO I want to waste 7yrs of my life.I am not getting any younger". I was like DUHHHH, I could have told you this.

Anyway she is back to work and I still here, still waiting.
I got my official rejection letter from RWJ today, I thought the letter would say that they wanted to give me a seat in next year's class, but I guess not.:(

Howard is my last hope and I called today (there has been people dropping off) and the sec said that they contact you via email or letter. She didn't give me any info on MY status.
I am waiting though. The longer the wait the harder it will be to quit my job (no two weeks notice here, more like 2 days notice). Housing will be a problem...might end up leaving in the dorms. Anyway this is all IF i get accepted......I have big dreaaaaaaaaams.

We'll keep hanging in there...:)

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
Dr Will, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Good luck with everything you do this year and with applying.

Thanks Erin...and good luck to you during your first year!

I am tired of playing this "waiting" game...it's no fun.
mecry.gif

Will I ever get to play the "accepted" game???????????
mecry.gif
:(

Can someone do me a favor (por favor)....can you please call this school @ 202-806-6279 (admissions office) and ask how the waitlist/alternate list movement is going (in general)?

I don't want to call (again)...the secretary knows my voice. I don't want to get her mad.

Post the reply............(I know this is pathetic but since I have hit rock bottom, this is my last resort :( )

If u live outside the "202" are- Don't worry it only takes about 4 secs to say "no, the list hasn't moved". Then add another 10 secs (for you at ask the question)....in all, the conversation should be less than 15 secs....so your bill won't be high.

i called for ya Bushbaby.....the answer was and i quote:

"not in the last few days"

keep the faith and i am still holding out hope....don't give up on yourself....

knish

Originally posted by knish
i called for ya Bushbaby.....the answer was and i quote:

"not in the last few days"

keep the faith and i am still holding out hope....don't give up on yourself....

knish

awwww Knish, you are such a beautiful person. I didn't think anyone would actually call for me.

I will soon be heading home to see if, just maybe, they sent me a letter (crossing my fingers).

When I called on monday, (or was it tuesday?), the person I spoke with said some people did drop off (I guess that was from the previous week). I have sent two letters to the dean in the past two weeks (one for each week...lol). So I will still remain hopeful.

Thanks again:clap:

LIFE SUCKSSSSSSSSSS.................:(

I have about a week left........AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA.....I am pulling my hair out here......where is my acceptance letter???????

What is the point of all this?+pissed+ +pissed+ :mad:

In my state of lunacy, I managed to go through my garbage and I pulled out the waitlist letter that I received from Howard. I tore it up after reading it about a month ago.

I then attempted to piece it together to re-read it just so I could feel better........:(

The letter was all sticky with some gewy stuff(that spilled into the garbage) that I assumed to be honey, as I pieced the letter back and tried to make out the words the gewy stuff was getting all over my fingers. I then (thinking it was honey) licked my fingers...........but it wasn't honey..........:( :( This is sooo sad, I don't even know what I licked. Hope it wasn't hair conditioner.

I am losing my mind.:eek:

sometimes you cant believe 100% wut the admissions office say. ucla admissions office is full of liars. everytime i call, they always say "the class is full" and "there hasnt been any waitlist movement." everytime they said that, a person from sdn is accepted 2 days later. from what i know, even a highly desired school like ucla always has movement every week. the question is how much.

when they say there has been no movement, u kno they're jus lying to not keep ur hopes up.

i also wrote to ad com and ucla dean like every week, plus email. he email me back usually twice a week. still, no acceptance. then at schools where i sent nothin, i get off the waitlist.

wut i learned from this is the most important thing to do when u are in this position is pray. i did, and i got in.

good luck president bush.

I figure I better bump this today...how are you all hangin' still?? Bushbaby, you still with me? WEll we must all keep the faith...I have till Wed. the 28th to hear. I am so nervous.

Last week I got my physical exam and immunizations just in case because the school wanted it in. I had to see one of my doctor's partners and she was like "Of course you haven't been sleeping, no wonder you're under stress...I cannot believe schools actually keep people waiting like this!!" Tell me about it doc!:( :( :(
Anyway, she told me that she didn't get in her first time but she just reapplied. Even though I don't want to go through this again, it made me feel better to hear that from her...I think she's a great MD!:)

Well I just wanted to check in...keep your heads up and pray for us all!:) :) :)

Still here Holler79, unfortunately.

I went to the gym afterwork to clear my mind and while on the thigh machine I said a little prayer, and also while stretching. I figure maybe the reception in my room was bad that's why God didn't hear my prayer....:laugh:

I am trying to hang in there though. It's a week for me now and I just emailed the dean that incase anyone drops they should call me (as if it's that easy). But I'll wait and see what happens.

Good luck to us all.

I can't believe that in about 3 days this whole process will be over for me..........that's about 72 hours.

WOW:(

So this is how it ends.................

5 days for me....this is torture.:( +pissed+

bushbaby & holler79 & anyone else still waiting...

please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in please let them get in...

i think people that got in without going through this process have a harder time realizing what an privilege/accomplishment/honor it is to be going to med school. i hear people complaining about this class and that class and really, "hey you're in med school!"

i have no doubt you two will be great doctors. i wonder if i can secretly send this thread to the adcoms at your schools. no one can read this and not let you in.

mvervaine's hit it right on the nail. Getting into medical is a huge privilege/accomplishment/honor. Those of you still waiting, hang in there. If things don't work out this year, life goes on. I know and feel your pain, I've done this three times.

keep your chin up and make sure that the next time you apply, you are a much stronger applicant. A year is a lot of time to load up on classes, experience, etc. Remember to stay on top of things, i.e. get all your application sent early especially the AMCAS. Be sure to apply to several schools and research them a bit before you do so!

If you KNOW medicine is for you, do not ever give up. We need people like you.

Alright alright.........today is my last day of waiting. As of today at 5pm, I will become a free agent once again. No longer slave to this "waiting" thing.

After thinking about what to do now I narrowed it down to:

Applying to a MPH or MPA program

I decided to apply to MPA program at my undergrad (since they do not require GRE from moi cause I graduated from there). And I can start this september. I then will study for the mcats from now until next april.

I am thinking of quitting my job so I can get this MPA thing over with. I don't see myself working 9-5pm, doing the MPA thing and studying for the mcat. :eek:

It's too much and they don't pay me enough to stay here anyway. I'll get a part-time job if possible.

That's all for now folks. I'll still be here and I'll take my place among those who are taking the mcat in april 2003.
:clap:
Life is not so bad when you put things into prospective.

it's all about perspective, bushbaby, and i think it's great that you have a good one!

by the way, i laughed out loud when i heard that your co-worker backed out of the med plan.... this is how you tell the jerks from the real, caring, driven people of the world---like you!

just wanted to say that and good luck with whatever you do! we're rooting for ya!!

:( I am sorry, Bushbaby. but I know you will make it to med school nevertheless. Perhaps there's a better path for you to take right now, and in retrospect, you will feel like all the pieces fit together.

I'm rooting for ya!

:( :( :( :( I am so sorry to hear this Bushbaby...I feel like its been just you and me for awhile. I still have until Wednesday but I am slowly losing all hope. I know you will get in!!!

Thanks everyone...I wish great luck to those still on waiting lists.:clap: :clap:

i'm applying this year and after reading this thread, i'm even more inspired to work harder to get into med school, so that someday i'll have colleagues like you guys. i'll keep those of you who are reapplying in my prayers.

its all good holler and bush, you'll take some time off and get back into the game, and you'll join the rest of us in the class of '08

Awww, bushbaby...one of my fellow waitlist buddies...I'm so sorry to hear about not getting in...But you know what, there is good reason for everything!! I cried for a couple of days, then realized I have bigger purpose in Southern Cali for now...I need to reconnect with my family and my faith, get more experience in the field, and I just discovered the love of my life, who I wouldn't have found if I went to St. Louis...not that I've lost focus on Med School, cause of course, I still want that as my career more than anything, but these days, I am happy, energized, recharged to do it all over again.

Don't worry, we'll give the ADComs hell when we reapply!!! Don't lose faith...we'll keep in touch...c/o 2008 (or maybe 2009, we'll get there), HERE WE COME!!!

Originally posted by Cafepinay
Awww, bushbaby...one of my fellow waitlist buddies...I'm so sorry to hear about not getting in...But you know what, there is good reason for everything!! I cried for a couple of days, then realized I have bigger purpose in Southern Cali for now...I need to reconnect with my family and my faith, get more experience in the field, and I just discovered the love of my life, who I wouldn't have found if I went to St. Louis...not that I've lost focus on Med School, cause of course, I still want that as my career more than anything, but these days, I am happy, energized, recharged to do it all over again.

Don't worry, we'll give the ADComs hell when we reapply!!! Don't lose faith...we'll keep in touch...c/o 2008 (or maybe 2009, we'll get there), HERE WE COME!!!

Yes, they will definitely have to reckon with our forces soon enough. +pissed+

I am starting an MPA program (hopefully) in two week so that is getting me excited. Even though it's not medical school, it's still a SCHOOL. I am siked about starting, I feel like i have been out of school for years. :p I am going full time this semester and part next semester(due to mcat).

I am also gearing up for the next mcat in april. I am studying now but nothing intense, just two hrs per day on each subject.
We will make it in next time around........I am SURE of that.

WELL GUYS tomorrow is it for me. I spoke with the asst. dean at my waitlisted school yesterday morning. She said that I have until wednesday (tomorrow) to miraculously get pulled off the waitlist. She said I am not the next person on the list but I am at the TOP. So this only served to tell me that I am close, which gets my hopes up, but I only have like 24 hrs. She said that its not impossible that sometimes people flake out and go elsewhere or come but decide med school is not for them. I'd really like to meet these lunatics!!!

I guess at least I'll know my fate by tomorrow:D :D :D :D

holler79 I wish you all the best in your remaining hours. You truly deserve to get it.

Crossing my fingers......

I figure it is probably time to officially close this thread considering most, if not all, schools have started the 2002 school year. I was not accepted off the waitlist this year.:( Unfortunately, I was told by the Asst. Dean that my name was right at the top of the list but **** happens and my name was not picked. I am upset but I find that this closure is peaceful. For the first time since March 14th I know where I stand. I am going to submit my AMCAS for 2003 within the next week even though I know its late. Then, I will take things from there.

I know everything happens for a reason and I guess it just wasn't meant to be this year. I have my health and my life so I cannot sit around and feel sorry for myself. Believe me, people have worse problems. Although this is difficult I know it will make me a better person and doctor in the end.

I want to thank all of you for your kind words of support for me, bushbaby, shamthis, and all the others that got SCREWED by waitlists this year!!! We'll be back and stronger than ever!!:love: :love: :D :D :clap:

Good luck to everyone in your pursuit of becoming physicians!!

well my official chance this year is done on my waitlists..just made the final call to Rush, I think people in this thread like myself just slipped through the HUge CRACKS in the system,, hopefully we make it though next year, good luck to you all

My waiting ended a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine having to wait until now. Good luck to everyone who "almost" got in.

Okay....this is a thread for those who want to go back down memory's sad lane....+pissed+ +pissed+

Man this was the longest summer of my life:laugh:

Also for those who are currently waitlisted....do not fret the end is still pretty far.:p

I had to bump so I can remember the day....... :p