Still Some Bias Against DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are disagreeing on the causes of said bias. One the AOA and COCA can do something about by tightening up clinical education and imposing a higher standard for research, and the other we have no control over. Thinking "it must be a bad program; there are DO's there. What's wrong with them?" is a more pernicious problem...that has nothing to do with GPA or MCAT, the latter of which is only a weak indicator of Step score at best.
I looked around a little bit and some programs didnt list their resident roster, Upenn IM, and then wash U IM listed residents pics and names but no degree. Could this be an attempt to limit bias or is it for personal privacy? Curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are MD schools like Meharry or Howard that have even lower stats than some DO schools, and yet they don't suffer from any bias. MCAT and GPA has nothing to do with the DO bias. In fact, I'd says most of DO students are capable of becoming great Doctors. Don't forget the AAMC even said it themselves anyone with a 500 MCAT and avove is good enough for medical school.

Not saying your point isn't correct, but you can't really compare typical schools with the HBCUs. Those schools have a particular mission and demographic that remains desirable in future applications. Many of their graduates are URMs who are still heavily recruited for residency; if you isolate the URMs from DO schools and take out all the Asians, I don't think they'd be winning on GPA/MCAT anymore. Some competitive programs (e.g. Duke Dermatology) even have spots reserved solely for URMs (called Duke Dermatology Diversity on ERAS). I also met an URM DO at a top 15 IM program this interview cycle that hasn't taken DOs - I'm sure they were very well qualified, prob moreso than me, but URM likely helps in overcoming the DO bias as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Not saying your point isn't correct, but you can't really compare typical schools with the HBCUs. Those schools have a particular mission and demographic that remains desirable in future applications. Many of their graduates are URMs who are still heavily recruited for residency; if you isolate the URMs from DO schools and take out all the Asians, I don't think they'd be winning on GPA/MCAT anymore. Some competitive programs (e.g. Duke Dermatology) even have spots reserved solely for URMs (called Duke Dermatology Diversity on ERAS). I also met an URM DO at a top 15 IM program this interview cycle that hasn't taken DOs - I'm sure they were very well qualified, prob moreso than me, but URM likely helps in overcoming the DO bias as well.

URM DOs probably face more bias than URM MDs though

Members don't see this ad :)
If most DO students could get into Meharry or Howard or the PR schools they would be going to those schools and not DO schools. The point is that you cant have equivalence if admission standards are different and if your research productivity and affiliated residencies are lacking. In a world where DO schools are going to be safety or fallback schools for applicants this bias will remain.

And no one is saying there wont be excellent doctors who are DO or terrible Doctors who are MDs.
I’ll agree with the research and affiliate residency part being a part of the bias. But why would anyone care about the MCAT/undergrad gpa at this point? The reason we’re discriminated against isn’t because of pre-med stuff. The reason is because our schools hold themselves to a lower standard than LCME schools. We struggle to meet the bare minimum requirements of LCME 3rd year clinical education at the vast majority of our schools * while its merely an afterthought at USMD programs. And that’s hardly discrimination anyway. We go to schools that are technically requiring less of us in comparison to what’s required of USMDs. Meharry, Howard, or wherever else can have 1.5 GPAs and 12 MCAT matriculation stats. Who cares? Once they get past boards, more is expected of them than us. That’s why we are second class citizens in the match.

*It really wouldn’t have been an issue for any schools to meet this standard if all of these new schools hadn’t opened up in the past 12ish years.

Reactions: 6 users
I work in an IVY league med school's affiliated hospital. The orthopedics residency program here won't interview any DO applicant regardless of how well they are even the DO is a Nobel prize winner, the first gate is that the applicant needs to have an MD even from a Carb school and absolutely no DO. What a joke

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I work in an IVY league med school's affiliated hospital. The orthopedics residency program here won't interview any DO applicant regardless of how well they are even the DO is a Nobel prize winner, the first gate is that the applicant needs to have an MD even from a Carb school and absolutely no DO. What a joke
Despicable

Reactions: 7 users
With the COCA virtually approving anyone's application to start a DO School, I see the anti-DO bias increasing in the future. If you are a COCA member, it's not about student, classroom, or clinical education quality. It's all about the school's ability to generate a free cash flow (profit). Someone with more than a few brain cells should get into a leadership role at the COCA and fix the problem before the DO perception problem gets worse.

• Haha
With the COCA virtually approving anyone's application to start a DO School, I see the anti-DO bias increasing in the future. If you are a COCA member, it's not about student, classroom, or clinical education quality. It's all about the school's ability to generate a free cash flow (profit). Someone with more than a few brain cells should get into a leadership role at the COCA and fix the problem before the DO perception problem gets worse.
Agree. At this point, I certainly hope there is a trickle down effect from the current ACGME/AOA merger to propose a merge and/or required oversight from the LCME. Even if it means closure or indefinite delay to the approval of these upcoming schools.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not defending COCA and its stupidity, but I can say the same for the new MDs that are recently opened out there. We don't have to do jack to defend our merits bc at the end of the day, there are always going to be haters regardless.

The DOs with merits, passion, and determination will succeed whether they're trained at some BFE Midwest place or San Diego California. This is nothing more than an excuse. It's like telling a racist people to be more open minded. It's not happening. All of this bickering adds nothing.

LOL at some of these attempts to justify the DO hate out there. First, it was the inferior students. Oh wait. Their USMLE scores are on par. Then, it's the inferior clinical ed quality. Oh wait. Some of our MD schools clinical ed is trash as well. Now, it's about some of these new DOs being opened in the name of profit. Oh wait. Some of the MD schools out there are the same way.

To all the kids out there, all of these stuff are again noises. Focus on yourself and do the best you can. Sure, you will face discrimination along the way in the residency application. But, that ends there. 4-5 years training at a BFE place will be quick and short, similar to your med school education at some BFE place. Once you're an attending physician in your desired specialty, you going to look back at these nonsense and laugh about it.

Reactions: 11 users
I'm not defending COCA and its stupidity, but I can say the same for the new MDs that are recently opened out there. We don't have to do jack to defend our merits bc at the end of the day, there are always going to be haters regardless.

The DOs with merits, passion, and determination will succeed whether they're trained at some BFE Midwest place or San Diego California. This is nothing more than an excuse. It's like telling a racist people to be more open minded. It's not happening. All of this bickering adds nothing.

LOL at some of these attempts to justify the DO hate out there. First, it was the inferior students. Oh wait. Their USMLE scores are on par. Then, it's the inferior clinical ed quality. Oh wait. Some of our MD schools clinical ed is trash as well. Now, it's about some of these new DOs being opened in the name of profit. Oh wait. Some of the MD schools out there are the same way.

To all the kids out there, all of these stuff are again noises. Focus on yourself and do the best you can. Sure, you will face discrimination along the way in the residency application. But, that ends there. 4-5 years training at a BFE place will be quick and short, similar to your med school education at some BFE place. Once you're an attending physician in your desired specialty, you going to look back at these nonsense and laugh about it.
Exactly. And if you went into a DO school without realizing what you’d be up against that’s on you. There will always be a hierarchy even if you were lower MD vs ivory tower.

Everybody’s gotta chill

Totally agree. I thought I was the only one that had views like this on here. Now let the doom and gloom continue its course please lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

That's the rub isn't it......

Yes, the ones complaining are the ones that might not get their desired specialty due to the DO. Even if they have a better app than their counterpart. I empathize for them but students need to understand what they are getting into by going DO. It’s better to work on your application and apply MD. If you can’t improve your application enough to get into MD. Then you have no reason complaining about DO bias. You get to deal with DO

Exactly. And if you went into a DO school without realizing what you’d be up against that’s on you. There will always be a hierarchy even if you were lower MD vs ivory tower.

Everybody’s gotta chill
Absolutely. When attending county medical society meetings as a resident, the local Ivory Tower residents couldn't wait to ask you where you were training so they could say they were at Local Ivory Tower. The MDs do it to other MDs. So many like to play the pedigree game. As an attending, Local Ivory Tower boy gets paid the same by insurers as any other attending.

• Haha
Absolutely. When attending county medical society meetings as a resident, the local Ivory Tower residents couldn't wait to ask you where you were training so they could say they were at Local Ivory Tower. The MDs do it to other MDs. So many like to play the pedigree game. As an attending, Local Ivory Tower boy gets paid the same by insurers as any other attending.

There's too much testosterone in medicine. I feel that everyone would be more chill with a soy based diet.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Yes, the ones complaining are the ones that might not get their desired specialty due to the DO. Even if they have a better app than their counterpart. I empathize for them but students need to understand what they are getting into by going DO. It’s better to work on your application and apply MD. If you can’t improve your application enough to get into MD. Then you have no reason complaining about DO bias. You get to deal with DO

I disagree. You can know what you're getting into and still complain about the DO bias when a lot of the bias stems from the fact that our own professional organization does literally nothing but throw us under the bus and make the bias worse. The AOA and NBOME need to disappear, not to mention that most schools have advising so bad students would be better off if they didn't give any at all.

The flip side is that I do think people put a lot of blame on "the bias" when the reality is that they simply didn't make themselves competitive for what they wanted to do. If I knew I wanted to do X competitive specialty then I would make sure that before I even started med school I would know exactly what I needed to do to make myself competitive.

If NBOME and AOA were gone, it wouldn't matter all that much. They're doing a terrible job and I'm not advocating for them, but its honestly a moot point besides the extra testing and nonsense like that.

The hierarchy exists no matter what. If it isn't DO vs MD, then PDs will develop some other strange way of grouping school tiers together and the lower schools will still get looked over at top places. So even if all DO schools were magically MD, it wouldn't get all that better in my mind. Its not like the PDs would magically start taking whoever just because the degree name changed

Reactions: 1 users
If NBOME and AOA were gone, it wouldn't matter all that much. They're doing a terrible job and I'm not advocating for them, but its honestly a moot point besides the extra testing and nonsense like that.

The hierarchy exists no matter what. If it isn't DO vs MD, then PDs will develop some other strange way of grouping school tiers together and the lower schools will still get looked over at top places. So even if all DO schools were magically MD, it wouldn't get all that better in my mind. Its not like the PDs would magically start taking whoever just because the degree name changed
I disagree with almost everything in this post. PDs absolutely would start taking more people if everything was under the LCME umbrella. The AOA has sold your future out to make a quick buck with rapid school expansion, don't ever underestimate how little they care about your career. They have greatly watered down the product in an effort to maintain their survival. The end is coming for them and they know it, the merger was just the beginning. It might take a decade or two, but it is surely coming.

No one is saying there wouldn't be a hierarchy.

I disagree with everything in this post. PDs absolutely would start taking more people if everything was under the LCME umbrella. The AOA has sold your future out to make a quick buck with rapid school expansion, don't ever underestimate how little they care about your career. They have greatly watered down the product in an effort to maintain their survival. The end is coming for them and they know it, the merger was just the beginning. It might take a decade or two, but it is surely coming.

No one is saying there wouldn't be a hierarchy.
I led off with saying they're doing a terrible job? Literally the point of my post was your last sentence about the hierarchy I could care less about AOA/NBOME

If you look at the match list of one of my regional MD schools versus my school you would be very surprised to find out which students are considered *******es/lazy/not prepared for clinical work consistently at several of the local rotation sites. Seeing the same theme year after year tells me all I need to know about DO bias. It's mostly based on brand and being the black sheep of the programs not based on student strength in clerkships. So, yes, I totally believe that blinding the application process/getting rid of AOA/NBOME/DO letters would absolutely take most of the bias away.

If you look at the match list of one of my regional MD schools versus my school you would be very surprised to find out which students are considered *******es/lazy/not prepared for clinical work consistently at several of the local rotation sites. Seeing the same theme year after year tells me all I need to know about DO bias. It's mostly based on brand and being the black sheep of the programs not based on student strength in clerkships. So, yes, I totally believe that blinding the application process/getting rid of AOA/NBOME/DO letters would absolutely take most of the bias away.
I'm not sure making everyone an MD will eliminate the bias as it's clearly multifaceted. Look at Carribean "MDs" and the difficulty they have matching. There still will be school bias if everything is under one roof.

I'm not sure making everyone an MD will eliminate the bias as it's clearly multifaceted. Look at Carribean "MDs" and the difficulty they have matching. There still will be school bias if everything is under one roof.

If everything is under LCME umbrella the bias against DOs would diminish considerably. Carib schools are not under that umbrella so that example isn't relevant.

I dont share your optimism. Too much money and politics on the line. We are decades away from diminishing bias. Plenty of bias with new MD schools and lower tier schools. Currently it's hard to explain the difference between MDs and DOs to the general public as MDs have developed a more holistic approach and embraced preventative medicine. I say we declare victory and go home! Maybe the MD degree should be changed to DO?.../S

• Haha
I dont share your optimism. Too much money and politics on the line. We are decades away from diminishing bias. Plenty of bias with new MD schools and lower tier schools. Currently it's hard to explain the difference between MDs and DOs to the general public as MDs have developed a more holistic approach and embraced preventative medicine. I say we declare victory and go home! Maybe the MD degree should be changed to DO?.../S

And this is why I throw up a little every time one of my classmates explains ourselves to an audience as "viewing the body holistically".

And this is why I throw up a little every time one of my classmates explains ourselves to an audience as "viewing the body holistically".
What would you say is the best way to go about it if a patient asks, without sounding like a chiropractor lol?

Last edited:
DOs are physicians, like MDs, but we took a slightly different path. In our training, we had an emphasis on anatomical structures and muscle interactions.

What would you say is the best way to go about it if a patient asks without sounding like a chiropractor lol?

What would you say is the best way to go about it if a patient asks without sounding like a chiropractor lol?
Just literally say you learn an extra treatment technique that some patients say helps. Then as long as you aren’t doing cranial you aren’t lying

If everything is under LCME umbrella the bias against DOs would diminish considerably. Carib schools are not under that umbrella so that example isn't relevant.

This is a fantastical point and not a very realistic alternative. If every college was renamed harvard, then yes, the prestige of every college not currently named harvard would be higher. Likewise, if every college lower tiered than UCSD was named UCSD, yes, the prestige of every college currently under UCSD would also be higher. But why the hell would harvard/UCSD lend its name to every college under it?

Likely some of our COMs would meet LCME requirements, and many would not. I know some of you are from new colleges. You're likely out. Hope you enjoy the caribs more than the states.

I don't deny that having the DO title paints a target on our backs to a non-negligible number of PDs, but it's not disqualifying on the whole, and many DO schools would close under LCME requirements. I would rather the majority of us be under a stateside COCA than a minority of us be under LCME and the rest under the whatever the caribbean colleges accrediting body is.

Also, if you're dissatisfied by our letters and are blaming COCA for its actions, be sure to also blame LCME for its relative inaction. Many of you outright claim that you're only here because you didn't make it in the LCME applications game. That you were rejected to their 20k slots is honestly a bigger factor than whatever COCA's sin, which evidently was to accept you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This is a fantastical point and not a very realistic alternative. If every college was renamed harvard, then yes, the prestige of every college not currently named harvard would be higher. Likewise, if every college lower tiered than UCSD was named UCSD, yes, the prestige of every college currently under UCSD would also be higher. But why the hell would harvard/UCSD lend its name to every college under it?

Nice strawman.

Also, if you're dissatisfied by our letters and are blaming COCA for its actions, be sure to also blame LCME for its relative inaction. Many of you outright claim that you're only here because you didn't make it in the LCME applications game. That you were rejected to their 20k slots is honestly a bigger factor than whatever COCA's sin, which evidently was to accept you.

Another strawman. It has nothing to do with letters. What LCME inaction? COCA's sin is opening a number of crap schools and diluting the brand to the point that DO schools are precipitously close to becoming the new Caribbean. DO attrition rates are rising. If you think the majority of new schools aren't crap then I don't know what to tell you. COCA is running the DO world into the ground and don't for a second think they give two craps about you or your career. COCA didn't accept me, or you for that matter and I feel exactly zero loyalty to them or to the AOA.
Likely some of our COMs would meet LCME requirements, and many would not. I know some of you are from new colleges. You're likely out. Hope you enjoy the caribs more than the states.

I don't deny that having the DO title paints a target on our backs to a non-negligible number of PDs, but it's not disqualifying on the whole, and many DO schools would close under LCME requirements. I would rather the majority of us be under a stateside COCA than a minority of us be under LCME and the rest under the whatever the caribbean colleges accrediting body is.

If DO schools would close in such great numbers like you claim then maybe we should rethink our standards instead of rationalizing them.

• Love
I don't see COCA being reeled under control in the next decade, as evident by DOs opened by pharmacists are being approved left and right. They're going to saturate the entire medical school market in order to make quick bucks just like they did with Pharmacy schools. Some specialties are going to be significantly hurt more than others by wage stagflation. Do your research and pick the right ones. Following your passion is complete bull and locking yourself to one specialty is not wise. The only key lessons that you should take from this rapid expansion are to:

1) Continue your resident lifestyle and work ethic for another 5-6 years after residency

2) Learn other skills in order to diversify your income sources

Medicine as a field will continue to be a great primary source of income for 80-85% of specialties out there for the next 10-15 years. I don't see the Armageddon scenario yet, but there will be some specialties that will be greatly affected by saturation.

You said, and I quote, "PDs absolutely would start taking more people if everything was under the LCME umbrella."

This implies that our predicament could be solved if we were granted MDs instead of DOs. We can't do that. Because COCA accredited schools grant DOs, not MDs. LCME grants MDs. Therefore, if we wanted to be under the LCME umbrella, we would have to apply for accreditation under them. And that's not a very realistic proposal.

Not sure what I did was strawmanning, but sure.

It has nothing to do with letters. What LCME inaction?

Many people on here are complaining about the DO letters. A solution to not getting a DO is to not be in a DO school. Based on your love for the letters, one assumes you aren't here by, "choice." In which case, that MDs rejected you is as big an issue to your not getting an MD as DO schools not giving you an MD. And a part of the reason that you failed to gain one of the 20k MD slots is because for a while, they were completely stagnant as far as expansion goes, allowing many otherwise qualified students to otherwise go DO or carib.

Again, not sure my comment was a strawman, but sure also.

COCA's sin is opening a number of crap schools and diluting the brand to the point that DO schools are precipitously close to becoming the new Caribbean.

This is a strawman because it doesn't accord with my opinions. Neat. At least then carib students won't have to go to the caribbeans to obtain their doctorate. I don't find that it's my duty to tell people what they can't do. Or to forbid them from doing it when I don't think that the odds are in their favor.

And yes, harvard engineering grads are employable like nobody's business. But that doesn't mean that a CUNY engineering degree is worthless because it doesn't afford you the same prospects. Also, something like 70% of the top caribs placed. We placed 98% or something this year iirc. I assume MD grads placed 99% because why not. I guess if we were to focus on us having twice as many unplaced students as compared to MDs, that's one way to look at it.

I think we can just agree to have wildly different definitions of, "precipitously close."

DO attrition rates are rising. If you think the majority of new schools aren't crap then I don't know what to tell you. COCA is running the DO world into the ground and don't for a second think they give two craps about you or your career. COCA didn't accept me, or you for that matter and I feel exactly zero loyalty to them or to the AOA.

I'll believe it when I see it. And even then, opportunity is on the opposite side of the scale of selectivity. The lower tier californian public schools have some of the worst graduation rates in california and especially when compared to the flagship universities of california. But they serve a purpose. Which is to offer kids who didn't perform as well at the prior level a chance to prove themselves. I consider many of you, and my classmates, to be utterly capable. My school placed 99% last year. So PDs seem to agree. I'll be waiting with bated breath to see the merger continue to play out.

If we turn out to be 70% placement come 2020-2030, do feel to come back and let me know. My prediction with 90% confidence is that we'll be above 80% in 2020-2030. I am 70% confident we'll be above 90% placement in that same time frame. (assigning confidence numbers because i don't like prognosticating vaguely. just being clear so we all clearly know where I stand on my predictions.) If i'm wrong, i'll be wrong.

If DO schools would close in such great numbers like you claim then maybe we should rethink our standards instead of rationalizing them.

I don't believe that basic research, clinical research or more stringent rotation requirements, among some of the tighter LCME standards, are necessary to produce competent clinicians. Because otherwise, that's saying that we're producing incompetent physicians. But that we placed 98% of our grads tells me that indeed our standards are fine. Are they top notch? If we're going by how prestigious they are, then no. But are they adequate to produce strong and competent clinicians? That 98% of our upperclassmen found jobs after graduating suggests to me that they are.

You said, and I quote, "PDs absolutely would start taking more people if everything was under the LCME umbrella."

This implies that our predicament could be solved if we were granted MDs instead of DOs. We can't do that. Because COCA accredited schools grant DOs, not MDs. LCME grants MDs. Therefore, if we wanted to be under the LCME umbrella, we would have to apply for accreditation under them. And that's not a very realistic proposal.

No, it is most definitely a straw man. The definition of "straw man" is a misrepresented idea or argument that you refute while ignoring the actual argument. He did not say anything about COCA granting MD degrees. He specifically is saying that if DO schools became LCME accredited, the bias would be diminished. That is an objective reality.

He did not say anything about COCA granting MD degrees. He specifically is saying that if DO schools became LCME accredited, the bias would be diminished. That is an objective reality.

I am saying that it's a silly proposition that first requires we assume that we're LCME accredited. The only way to do so is to meet LCME requirements. Something many of our schools likely can't achieve.

again, this is not a straw man. I am not refuting his point that we would have better prospects with the MD initials behind our names. I am saying that it's a silly thought experiment.

Like how something along the lines of, "if i had ten million dollars in hand, going to med school would be a ****ty deal." Well yes. But who the hell has ten million bucks in hand? And why is this suddenly what we have to compare to? I'm challenging an unrealistic assumption of the statement, which is that we could be LCME just like that. We can't. The reason we aren't is a part of the reason we're expanding as we are and why LCME, prior to recently, wasn't. It's key to why many DO students have poorer CVs, but were still given a very good chance to be a doctor. To always talk about what it takes to be more selective without fully appreciating where the rhetoric leads us, is what i'm challenging.

Like you can disagree with me. That's great. I always gain when people thoughtfully disagree. I always learn and I welcome that. But that's literally not a strawman. A strawman is to take someone's argument, and twist it and defeat it. I never refuted his original premise. I said it was a silly thought experiment because an assumption was faulty. I pointed out the silly assumption. And it's not formal debate. If someone were to say 98% of scientists/doctors agree with climate change/vaccines, that's technically an appeal to authority fallacy. Except we're not in an oxford debate. It's silly to be bringing this into casual conversation.

Last edited:
What would you say is the best way to go about it if a patient asks, without sounding like a chiropractor lol?

"We get the same training as MDs but also learn how to give a killer massage."

• Haha

Many people on here are complaining about the DO letters. A solution to not getting a DO is to not be in a DO school. Based on your love for the letters, one assumes you aren't here by, "choice." In which case, that MDs rejected you is as big an issue to your not getting an MD as DO schools not giving you an MD. And a part of the reason that you failed to gain one of the 20k MD slots is because for a while, they were completely stagnant as far as expansion goes, allowing many otherwise qualified students to otherwise go DO or carib.

This is a strawman because it doesn't accord with my opinions. Neat. At least then carib students won't have to go to the caribbeans to obtain their doctorate. I don't find that it's my duty to tell people what they can't do. Or to forbid them from doing it when I don't think that the odds are in their favor.

And yes, harvard engineering grads are employable like nobody's business. But that doesn't mean that a CUNY engineering degree is worthless because it doesn't afford you the same prospects. Also, something like 70% of the top caribs placed. We placed 98% or something this year iirc. I assume MD grads placed 99% because why not. I guess if we were to focus on us having twice as many unplaced students as compared to MDs, that's one way to look at it.

I think we can just agree to have wildly different definitions of, "precipitously close."

I'll believe it when I see it. And even then, opportunity is on the opposite side of the scale of selectivity. The lower tier californian public schools have some of the worst graduation rates in california and especially when compared to the flagship universities of california. But they serve a purpose. Which is to offer kids who didn't perform as well at the prior level a chance to prove themselves. I consider many of you, and my classmates, to be utterly capable. My school placed 99% last year. So PDs seem to agree. I'll be waiting with bated breath to see the merger continue to play out.

If we turn out to be 70% placement come 2020-2030, do feel to come back and let me know. My prediction with 90% confidence is that we'll be above 80% in 2020-2030. I am 70% confident we'll be above 90% placement in that same time frame. (assigning confidence numbers because i don't like prognosticating vaguely. just being clear so we all clearly know where I stand on my predictions.) If i'm wrong, i'll be wrong.

I don't believe that basic research, clinical research or more stringent rotation requirements, among some of the tighter LCME standards, are necessary to produce competent clinicians. Because otherwise, that's saying that we're producing incompetent physicians. But that we placed 98% of our grads tells me that indeed our standards are fine. Are they top notch? If we're going by how prestigious they are, then no. But are they adequate to produce strong and competent clinicians? That 98% of our upperclassmen found jobs after graduating suggests to me that they are.
Not sure I totally agree with the above. I am encouraged by our higher placement rate, but place WHERE? I think this is important. There are still some TERRIBLE residencies out there, 60 bed hospitals with little inpatient exposure. This is from personal communications from my students, who played the match game poorly, and colleagues. I didnt believe some comments on SDN where students graduated with never having an inpatient medical rotation. All outpatient. This was sadly verified by my colleagues, some former PDs. I read a PDs comment stating he wont take any more DOs because he has to spend too much time bringing them up to speed. The newer schools, under the supervision of COCA, are killing our brand. Excellence is the greatest deterrent to prejudice.

This is the definition of a strawman. You took what I said and then fabricated your own argument to knock down. The idea that if DO schools got LCME accreditation the bias would diminish is 100% fact. It's irrefutable and not a thought experiment. You never even addressed that. I never said anything about COCA granting MD degrees or any of this other nonsense you are going on about here.

If you think it's not very realistic then you haven't been paying attention. The DO world as we know it is flailing like a wounded deer if you read between the lines. The AOA is grasping at any straws it can to try and maintain its relevance by making all sorts of adjustments to its board certification process. They already lost the ability to accredit residencies. They are rapidly increasing the amount of overall DOs in a not so subtle attempt to create as many DOs as possible so they can claim they are needed to oversee them, but that's a farce because most of these people will not be under the AOA umbrella once they graduate school. Whether it happens in the next 5 years or the next 20 doesn't matter, it's over. The writing is on the wall. Even my school's admins, who are very much entrenched in the DO world have made numerous statements subtly acknowledging this fact.

Again, a strawman because you are creating fictional arguments to knock down. It's not about letters. I literally don't give a rats fart what letters are after my name on my white coat someday. The reason I "failed" to get one of the MD spots is because I never applied MD. I chose to apply DO instead of doing an expensive SMP for personal reasons. My 18 year old self made my GPA not MD worthy so I chose to take my excellent MCAT and use it to get into a DO school that I felt could take me to where I wanted to get to. I am 100% confident in my ability to match what I want and am well on my way. None of this negates the fact that COCA is complete garbage, and that the AOA are borderline criminals. I still fail to see "the LCME inaction" you keep going on about. No one is owed a spot in any medical school.

It's a strawman because your arguing against an argument I never made. What are you even talking about? Your analogy is terrible.

Best start believing. The data is there already. DO attrition is increasing. The merger is going to be a wakeup call for many schools. The good students will likely match better and better, but the bottom quartile is in BIG trouble. My school is deathly terrified of this and we even have enough residency spots for the entire class. This was already felt this year.

You believe that opening schools in tiny towns, with zero affiliated GME, with starting class sizes of 162 (not to mention the expansion that inevitably comes later), with plans for students to rotate in private practice clinics and tiny hospitals is a good thing and will produce competent physcians? Because I don't. I'm going to be a DO and I would never let a family member be treated by someone from these schools without looking at where they did their residency training. Again, maybe we should reconsider our standards instead of rationalizing them.

I don't consider "98% found jobs" to actually be that great of a metric. That doesn't tell me at all how competent they are, all it tells me is that there are programs out there that need someone to take call and round on patients.
Like you can disagree with me. That's great. I always gain when people thoughtfully disagree. I always learn and I welcome that. But that's literally not a strawman. A strawman is to take someone's argument, and twist it and defeat it. I never refuted his original premise. I said it was a silly thought experiment because an assumption was faulty. I pointed out the silly assumption. And it's not formal debate. If someone were to say 98% of scientists/doctors agree with climate change/vaccines, that's technically an appeal to authority fallacy. Except we're not in an oxford debate. It's silly to be bringing this into casual conversation.
This is like a broken record. You really need to learn what a strawman is, and it's not a thought experiment. It's calling for change. This nonsense of opening schools in dinky towns with 3k people and then shipping students to a bunch of minute clinics and tiny hospital for preceptor rotations needs to stop. Do you think that is acceptable? You want an example of how garbage COCA is? They don't even have a requirement for how many students have to place. None. A school could place exactly ZERO students and that school would not be in violation according to COCA's rules as they are currently written. That is inexcusable.

You can continue to defend them all you want. The fact is that the AOA and COCA have sold you out in an effort to save themselves and make a quick buck, and they don't care about you or your career in the slightest. DO students succeed in spite of their "leadership," not because of it. We need to raise our standards. If the AOA or COCA can't raise their standards then they shouldn't exist. Period.

This is the definition of a strawman. You took what I said and then fabricated your own argument to knock down. The idea that if DO schools got LCME accreditation the bias would diminish is 100% fact. It's irrefutable and not a thought experiment. You never even addressed that. I never said anything about COCA granting MD degrees or any of this other nonsense you are going on about here.

If you think it's not very realistic then you haven't been paying attention. The DO world as we know it is flailing like a wounded deer if you read between the lines. The AOA is grasping at any straws it can to try and maintain its relevance by making all sorts of adjustments to its board certification process. They already lost the ability to accredit residencies. They are rapidly increasing the amount of overall DOs in a not so subtle attempt to create as many DOs as possible so they can claim they are needed to oversee them, but that's a farce because most of these people will not be under the AOA umbrella once they graduate school. Whether it happens in the next 5 years or the next 20 doesn't matter, it's over. The writing is on the wall. Even my school's admins, who are very much entrenched in the DO world have made numerous statements subtly acknowledging this fact.

Again, a strawman because you are creating fictional arguments to knock down. It's not about letters. I literally don't give a rats fart what letters are after my name on my white coat someday. The reason I "failed" to get one of the MD spots is because I never applied MD. I chose to apply DO instead of doing an expensive SMP for personal reasons. My 18 year old self made my GPA not MD worthy so I chose to take my excellent MCAT and use it to get into a DO school that I felt could take me to where I wanted to get to. I am 100% confident in my ability to match what I want and am well on my way. None of this negates the fact that COCA is complete garbage, and that the AOA are borderline criminals. I still fail to see "the LCME inaction" you keep going on about. No one is owed a spot in any medical school.

It's a strawman because your arguing against an argument I never made. What are you even talking about? Your analogy is terrible.

Best start believing. The data is there already. DO attrition is increasing. The merger is going to be a wakeup call for many schools. The good students will likely match better and better, but the bottom quartile is in BIG trouble. My school is deathly terrified of this and we even have enough residency spots for the entire class. This was already felt this year.

You believe that opening schools in tiny towns, with zero affiliated GME, with starting class sizes of 162 (not to mention the expansion that inevitably comes later), with plans for students to rotate in private practice clinics and tiny hospitals is a good thing and will produce competent physcians? Because I don't. I'm going to be a DO and I would never let a family member be treated by someone from these schools without looking at where they did their residency training. Again, maybe we should reconsider our standards instead of rationalizing them.

I don't consider "98% found jobs" to actually be that great of a metric. That doesn't tell me at all how competent they are, all it tells me is that there are programs out there that need someone to take call and round on patients.

This is like a broken record. You really need to learn what a strawman is, and it's not a thought experiment. It's calling for change. This nonsense of opening schools in dinky towns with 3k people and then shipping students to a bunch of minute clinics and tiny hospital for preceptor rotations needs to stop. Do you think that is acceptable? You want an example of how garbage COCA is? They don't even have a requirement for how many students have to place. None. A school could place exactly ZERO students and that school would not be in violation according to COCA's rules as they are currently written. That is inexcusable.

You can continue to defend them all you want. The fact is that the AOA and COCA have sold you out in an effort to save themselves and make a quick buck, and they don't care about you or your career in the slightest. DO students succeed in spite of their "leadership," not because of it. We need to raise our standards. If the AOA or COCA can't raise their standards then they shouldn't exist. Period.
Which new school is shipping students to clinics for rotations? I seriously never heard of this. I'd really like to see an example of this.

Which new school is shipping students to clinics for rotations? I seriously never heard of this. I'd really like to see an example of this.

Take your pick. LMU, ICOM, KCYOM, essentially any of the new ones currently being planned, etc. Talk to students from these schools and go look at the rotation site lists for many of the new schools and thats if they even have them available. These schools absolutely cannot give a quality clinical education to even the majority of students in a class size of 162.

Take your pick. LMU, ICOM, KCYOM, essentially any of the new ones currently being planned, etc. Talk to students from these schools and go look at the rotation site lists for many of the new schools and thats if they even have them available. These schools absolutely cannot give a quality clinical education to even the majority of students in a class size of 162.
Tons of schools do this. Are you being serious right now lol?
I knew that some of LMU and KYCOM rotations were horrible, but I didn't know they were at private clinics. I had also recently checked ICOM's rotation site list, and the site names ended mostly with medical centers or Hospitals.

Indeed. LMU is the classic example of a school opening a branch before the mothership got to a good footing. LECOM expanding into Elmira, NY doesn't give me a warm feeling either, I could go on, but it will just make me nauseous.

Let’s quote you again:

“If everything is under LCME umbrella the bias against DOs would diminish considerably.”

There are two parts to that sentence. I am challenging the first part: “If everything is under LCME umbrella…,” That is not a reasonable, “if.” I addressed it already, but because you need it in…, fewer words:

Yes, if everything were under the LCME umbrella, the prestige of current DO schools would rise. There, addressed.

And it would be just like how IF the California state universities were under the university of California umbrella, the prestige of the cal states would rise. But the point is silly. Why would the UCs adopt all of the calstates? And is it reasonable to destroy the cal states that don’t meet UC quality and adoptability? That’s what my comments have boiled down to.

People are very quick to assume intent where they find it most parsimonious. They typically come with no verifiable facts aside from the ones they originally extrapolated from.

In either case, I don’t particularly find this train of thought interesting. It’s not important to me the intent of expansion, so much as the effects. I don’t ask why the baker wakes up in the morning to bake bread. I ask about the price and quality of the bread on the shelves. I’m simply addressing every part of your arguments because based on how you’ve behaved up to, you’re likely to accuse me of ignoring them. I’d like to save you as many visits to the logical fallacies wiki page as possible.

Neat. Expansion allows others in your shoes to chase the same opportunities that you were afforded with marginally diminished prospects.

I didn’t realize it was that difficult to connect the dots I laid out. Perhaps it was the paragraph format. Let me try numbers:

1. Your implied point: There are too many osteopathic students

2. Your implied point: this is the fault of COCA for allowing expanding

3. My point: why aren’t we also blaming LCME for not expanding

4. Rationale: LCME expansion would reduce the pool of potential osteopathic students as well as reduce LCME accredited school standards for admission.

5. Rationale: Osteopathic medical student pool = students who couldn’t get into MD + students who like DO + students who kinda don’t care.

6. Rationale: students who couldn’t get into an MD = directly affected by LCME slot #s

7. Rationale: The existence of an osteopathic student requires a school offering a slot (affected by DO expansion) and a student to accept (affected by LCME stagnation).

8. My point: Current standards are the reason you decided for DO as opposed to MD at all. If there were more MD slots, standards would have dropped such that you would have had a fighting chance and might have reconsidered your DO acceptance.

9. My ultimate point: It’s okay that there exists a lower tier of medical schools so long as they graduate competent physicians with good prospects.

Well I agree, but that’s basically your argument. I’m glad we agreed that your original point is terrible. Took some wrangling, but we got there.

98% placement. But we’ll see. What will happen will happen.

Lots of waxing and waning about supposed clinical competency with zero numbers to substantiate a single one. You’re free to discriminate as you wish. Just a reminder that the old guard thinks the 80 hour workweek limit is silly based on their likewise extremely intuitive feelings about what makes a competent physician.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary numbers. Show me the numbers. Simple as that.

Maybe we should institute a step 4 with a simulated ward. Standards will be determined by a round table of medical students weighing in on what makes a competent physician.

This is like a broken record. You really need to learn what a strawman is, and it's not a thought experiment. It's calling for change. This nonsense of opening schools in dinky towns with 3k people and then shipping students to a bunch of minute clinics and tiny hospital for preceptor rotations needs to stop. Do you think that is acceptable? You want an example of how garbage COCA is?

Yes. If they pass STEP at decent rates, they’ll figure out what they haven’t in med school on the wards. Learning doesn’t stop once you graduate. I’d have a much bigger problem with this issue at the residency level.

They don't even have a requirement for how many students have to place. None. A school could place exactly ZERO students and that school would not be in violation according to COCA's rules as they are currently written. That is inexcusable.

https://med.virginia.edu/ume-curric...017-18_Functions-and-Structure_2016-03-24.pdf

I was curious about LCME’s standards on this. Linked above seem to be LCME standards. I’m having trouble finding the standard that says that X% of students must place. Maybe you can help me.

Like I said before, I don’t really care too much who profits or how much so long as I get to do what I want and feel well trained. I have no reason to believe that I’ve been inadequately trained. I often meet docs from my school out in the field. Often, I only hear praise about them from their colleagues. I don’t know what happens in those new schools. I can assume, but I reserve that for until I meet their graduates or am allowed insight into their performance in an unbiased and systematic way. Of course I can have kneejerk reactions, but they’re only just that in the absence of evidence or experience. I try not to take away peoples’ opportunities for kneejerk reactions that I haven’t thought deeply about.

Not sure I totally agree with the above. I am encouraged by our higher placement rate, but place WHERE? I think this is important. There are still some TERRIBLE residencies out there, 60 bed hospitals with little inpatient exposure. This is from personal communications from my students, who played the match game poorly, and colleagues. I didnt believe some comments on SDN where students graduated with never having an inpatient medical rotation. All outpatient. This was sadly verified by my colleagues, some former PDs. I read a PDs comment stating he wont take any more DOs because he has to spend too much time bringing them up to speed. The newer schools, under the supervision of COCA, are killing our brand. Excellence is the greatest deterrent to prejudice.

That’s a fair point. But I’m not at a stage where I can really judge residencies. I’ll hold my judgements for when I get to a point where I feel that I can. My kneejerk is to believe you, but with a grain of salt. My belief is that many match for prestige or geography. Those fail to achieve either would likely have a lot to complain about. But I could just as well see their complaints being valid. I can see both sides and without more information or experience, I just can’t personally make heads or tails of it.

I love the mental gymnastics and the desperate allegiance to your army of strawmen, however I really only need to address one thing you said to make my point:

9. My ultimate point: It’s okay that there exists a lower tier of medical schools so long as they graduate competent physicians with good prospects.

They don't have good prospects, and prospects will only get worse if the current trend remains. The data already bares this out. Attrition rates are rising, percentage of placement into 1 year pre-lim years is rising, and residency spots are opening up much slower than medical seats. The prospects of an incoming DO student are worse now than they were 10 years ago. The AOA and COCA have drastically reduced your prospects, and, here is the kicker, THEY DON'T GIVE A CRAP. They will straight up tell you they don't care about your prospects. In not quite so blunt terms that was said by the AOA president and pretty much said word for word by the president of the NBOME. They don't care about you, me, or any other DO student. The AOA president straight up said he doesn't care if DO schools open residencies. That one was pretty much word for word. They only care about keeping themselves relevant and making money. That's it. Anyone who defends any of this is straight up in denial. Wake up and smell the roses. Just because the placement rates have held steady doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy. In the coming years there will be THOUSANDS more DO students in the match then there are now. It is simply unsustainable.

I have nothing further to say to someone who thinks the current state of affairs is an acceptable reality.

I love the mental gymnastics and the desperate allegiance to your army of strawmen, however I really only need to address one thing you said to make my point:

They don't have good prospects, and prospects will only get worse if the current trend remains. The data already bares this out. Attrition rates are rising, percentage of placement into 1 year pre-lim years is rising, and residency spots are opening up much slower than medical seats. The prospects of an incoming DO student are worse now than they were 10 years ago. The AOA and COCA have drastically reduced your prospects, and, here is the kicker, THEY DON'T GIVE A CRAP. They will straight up tell you they don't care about your prospects. In not quite so blunt terms that was said by the AOA president and pretty much said word for word by the president of the NBOME. They don't care about you, me, or any other DO student. The AOA president straight up said he doesn't care if DO schools open residencies. That one was pretty much word for word. They only care about keeping themselves relevant and making money. That's it. Anyone who defends any of this is straight up in denial. Wake up and smell the roses. Just because the placement rates have held steady doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy. In the coming years there will be THOUSANDS more DO students in the match then there are now. It is simply unsustainable.

I have nothing further to say to someone who thinks the current state of affairs is an acceptable reality.
The dude is student government (or of the same ilk) at his school if I am not mistaken so these last few pages of stuff makes a lot of sense in that context.

As someone who is finishing up the third year and is fortunate to be trained at a teaching hospital, I don't think that learning medicine in the form of outpatient clinic is adequate. I have a total of 12 weeks in inpatient medicine, and I still don't think that it's enough. But, I'm pretty sure that I'm more adequate prepared than others in term of my role in team dynamic and function. So, take it for what it's worth. The disparity bet someone who's had done all medicine learning in an outpatient clinic vs someone who did 8+ of IM will be very obvious to attending physicians during your 4th yr. DO students who go on auditions with minimal exposure to an inpatient academic setting will be hurt in their first 1-2 auditions.

Skills that you will learn in inpatient medicine that will make you a valuable member to the team are:
1) Excellent note writings with 3-4 ddx for every problem listed
2) Crisp presentation skills
3) Plan for each problem with ordered tests to narrow ddx and treatment

Point 1 will be well developed close to an intern level, if you are adequately challenged, in term of quality of your note as well as your efficiency. There are simply too many habits being learned in other services that will hurt you if you're not exposed the the highest quality of note writing. Point 2 and Point 3 will developed as you go through your training. But, you won't look ridiculous bc you're aware of certain weaknesses that will need some tune up.

Last edited:
The dude is student government (or of the same ilk) at his school if I am not mistaken so these last few pages of stuff makes a lot of sense in that context.

i'm not. aside from the stray bday party/dinner, i don't hang out with any of them outside of class either. i just enjoy politics and have attended some conferences for fun to see what goes on at a national level. I am however involved with AMA stuff. Take that as you will.

actually literally not a strawman. i'm not opposed to the arguments being being insufficiently compelling. it happens. disagreements happen. but it's literally not strawmen. i don't really know what to tell you. you're just using the word incorrectly. your first clue should have been when sab agreed with you.

and as is becoming clear, i have nothing further to learn from this unadulterated screeching about the sky.

by the way, willing to bet on placement rates in 10 years?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.