You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Stimulant and admission
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I've been clinically prescribed Adderall XR by a licensed psychiatrist for ADHD; however, I am currently in my first application cycle for dental school, so I can not really give you any input with regards to admission. If that changes, I will for sure let you know. I can, however, share insight on how Adderall XR had impacted me with regards to studying/taking the DAT exam. I have a huge story to tell, and once I'm admitted I will probably release that mini-novel on the forum. I hope someone with this issue can give some insight onto this concern.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's all in your head
Lol. Have you ever heard of HIPAA? "Health care providers, health insurance companies, and other entities involved in the administration of health care may not share personally identifiable medical information without your consent". If they do, they risk being prosecuted by the department of justice. Privacy of health care information is extremely serious.
Admissions committees absolutely can NOT look up a person's prescription history. First, there isn't a national centralized database of a person's health history. If you go from one GP to another, if you don't sign release forms for your previous records, your new doctor has no way of accessing them. The exception is obviously if you are within a health system (at your University, for example) that multiple doctors work for (and can access the same records). Of course, even then, your records can't be released to any other entity without your consent.
Admissions committees can't and won't access your prescription history. It's illegal.
Admissions committees absolutely can NOT look up a person's prescription history. First, there isn't a national centralized database of a person's health history. If you go from one GP to another, if you don't sign release forms for your previous records, your new doctor has no way of accessing them. The exception is obviously if you are within a health system (at your University, for example) that multiple doctors work for (and can access the same records). Of course, even then, your records can't be released to any other entity without your consent.
Admissions committees can't and won't access your prescription history. It's illegal.
I'm pretty certain HIPAA laws would prevent them from accessing any of your medical records without your consent. I've never heard of that before.
My 12-year-old son has ADD and I see first hand what a struggle it is for him to stay focused. It often takes him 3-4 x longer to complete assignments than most of his classmates even though he is crazy smart. I personally believe finding ways to be able to handle your challenges (through counseling, coping mechanisms, medication, etc.), should be viewed as a strength, not a weakness.
I would fascinated if someone has a legit example of this happening as it seems at first glance to me that it would be highly unethical and likely illegal.
My 12-year-old son has ADD and I see first hand what a struggle it is for him to stay focused. It often takes him 3-4 x longer to complete assignments than most of his classmates even though he is crazy smart. I personally believe finding ways to be able to handle your challenges (through counseling, coping mechanisms, medication, etc.), should be viewed as a strength, not a weakness.
I would fascinated if someone has a legit example of this happening as it seems at first glance to me that it would be highly unethical and likely illegal.
H
Ha ha - looks like we were typing at the same time!Lol. Have you ever heard of HIPAA? "Health care providers, health insurance companies, and other entities involved in the administration of health care may not share personally identifiable medical information without your consent". If they do, they risk being prosecuted by the department of justice. Privacy of health care information is extremely serious.
Admissions committees absolutely can NOT look up a person's prescription history. First, there isn't a national centralized database of a person's health history. If you go from one GP to another, if you don't sign release forms for your previous records, your new doctor has no way of accessing them. The exception is obviously if you are within a health system (at your University, for example) that multiple doctors work for (and can access the same records). Of course, even then, your records can't be released to any other entity without your consent.
Admissions committees can't and won't access your prescription history. It's illegal.
Are you talking about the state controlled substance record? It varies by each state but doctors and pharmacists CAN look you up and see what controlled substances you're using.Hi all,
I'll be seeing a psychiatrist next week but I wanted your opinion before I saw him.
I've never had a health insurance and it's been 13 years since I've seen by a doctor (I was hella poor as well).
Since high school, I've been struggling with focusing. I cannot focus on something, especially when it comes to studying, more than 2~3 minutes. I have to read same information over and over and over again to barely understand it; I'm also forgetful and I have poor information retention.
I've spent 3 months "studying" for DAT but it was very ineffective.If I were to sit down on a desk for 8 hours to study, only about 30 minutes will go to actual "studying". I'm the most easily distracted person. I'm done with undergrad and even though I made it out alive, I'm sure I've had ADD my entire life (ADD because I'm never hyper). I just never had a way to verify my belief so I set up an appointment with a psychiatrist who specializes in adult ADD/ADHD.
My concern is that I've read somewhere on this forum that Adcom will look at your prescription history (I don't know how exactly but few people attested to it in that forum) and deny your admission to dental school if you're taking stimulant such as Adderall. So I'm afraid to be prescribed even if I have ADD. I just wanted some feedback here since I'm concerned about this. I need help studying if I really do have ADD but I don't want to be denied of my dream of becoming a dentist.
I doubt adcoms will look into that record though.. they might background check/drug test you when you get admitted though.. it's a valid concern. We just don't know lol.
Are you talking about the state controlled substance record? It varies by each state but doctors and pharmacists CAN look you up and see what controlled substances you're using.
I doubt adcoms will look into that record though.. they might background check/drug test you when you get admitted though.. it's a valid concern. We just don't know lol.
That is true, but the legislation (which varies by state as you said) dictates who can access that information and for what. That legislation exists as an attempt to curb substance abuse and "doctor shopping", both of which are important issues today IMO. "Admissions committees for dental school" would not be on that list. Could a doctor who is on an admissions committee technically access that list in some states? Yes. Doing so for this purpose is incredibly unethical and I would be genuinely amazed if it were to happen. You're reading too far into admissions if you are worried about that.
Background checks show criminal records. Drug testing after admission is absolutely fair game but is not relevant here. You would have to disclose your medication at that point so you don't fail a drug test, but it wouldn't be an issue if you are using it for diagnosed medical condition.
Have you been prescribed this medication yet? If a legit medical doctor prescribes you a medication I would not be overly concerned. If the medication helps you to function properly without any ill effects on your ability to treat a patient, I'm sure adcoms won't worry even if they can view this information, which I sincerely doubt they can. That's just your anxiety talking 😉
There's this thing in the health field called HIPPO. When your doctor tries to discuss protected health information a hippo comes and sits on them, preventing them from discussing any such thing. Look it up.
Edit: said something stupid. Removed it.
There's this thing in the health field called HIPPO. When your doctor tries to discuss protected health information a hippo comes and sits on them, preventing them from discussing any such thing. Look it up.
Edit: said something stupid. Removed it.
Last edited:
Have you been prescribed this medication yet? If a legit medical doctor prescribes you a medication I would not be overly concerned, excluding things like anti-psychotics. If the medication helps you to function properly without any ill effects on your ability to treat a patient, I'm sure adcoms won't worry even if they can view this information, which I sincerely doubt they can. That's just your anxiety talking 😉
There's this thing in the health field called HIPPO. When your doctor tries to discuss protected health information a hippo comes and sits on them, preventing them from discussing any such thing. Look it up.
Hahahaha, what in the world is that video? Did not see that coming. You made me laugh out loud in the library. @fayevalentine
I agree with your advice aside from saying "excluding anti-psychotics". That's a dangerous thing to say because people reading this who have been prescribed anti-psychotics could stop taking them "for dental school admission", which is not a good idea. That medication isn't a scheduled drug and there is no way an admissions committee would know about it. IIRC from my abnormal psych class, anti-psychotics get prescribed for many things, including clinical depression, bipolar I and II, etc. I'm obviously not a doctor, just a random person on the internet, but anyone reading this: listen to your doctors who are actually health care professionals in regards to your medication. Not random people like me.
Last edited:
S
schmoob
Don't worry about any psychotropic medications that you may take as long as it is legally prescribed to you. You can not be denied admission based on a particular diagnosis or treatment.
Applying for licensing may be a different story once you finish though. But don't worry, if you think that there is not a single physician, dentist, etc out there who is prescribed a scheduled substance, you are mistaken.
If the meds help, awesome. Hopefully it will help you get over some hurdles you're facing. Just make sure that you take them as prescribed and don't start doing silly things by abusing the meds by selling them or taking them recreationally.
Applying for licensing may be a different story once you finish though. But don't worry, if you think that there is not a single physician, dentist, etc out there who is prescribed a scheduled substance, you are mistaken.
If the meds help, awesome. Hopefully it will help you get over some hurdles you're facing. Just make sure that you take them as prescribed and don't start doing silly things by abusing the meds by selling them or taking them recreationally.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with your advice aside from saying "excluding anti-psychotics". That's a dangerous thing to say because people reading this who have been prescribed anti-psychotics could stop taking them "for dental school admission", which is not a good idea.
You are absolutely correct. I will edit my original post.
Hi all,
I'll be seeing a psychiatrist next week but I wanted your opinion before I saw him.
I've never had a health insurance and it's been 13 years since I've seen by a doctor (I was hella poor as well).
Since high school, I've been struggling with focusing. I cannot focus on something, especially when it comes to studying, more than 2~3 minutes. I have to read same information over and over and over again to barely understand it; I'm also forgetful and I have poor information retention.
I've spent 3 months "studying" for DAT but it was very ineffective.If I were to sit down on a desk for 8 hours to study, only about 30 minutes will go to actual "studying". I'm the most easily distracted person. I'm done with undergrad and even though I made it out alive, I'm sure I've had ADD my entire life (ADD because I'm never hyper). I just never had a way to verify my belief so I set up an appointment with a psychiatrist who specializes in adult ADD/ADHD.
My concern is that I've read somewhere on this forum that Adcom will look at your prescription history (I don't know how exactly but few people attested to it in that forum) and deny your admission to dental school if you're taking stimulant such as Adderall. So I'm afraid to be prescribed even if I have ADD. I just wanted some feedback here since I'm concerned about this. I need help studying if I really do have ADD but I don't want to be denied of my dream of becoming a dentist.
No dental school or school period gets to evaluate your private health history. It states they are not allowed legally to discriminate based sex, age, race, disability, etc. Whoever told you that was messing with you or trying to eliminate you from the pool of competition.
Have you been prescribed this medication yet? If a legit medical doctor prescribes you a medication I would not be overly concerned. If the medication helps you to function properly without any ill effects on your ability to treat a patient, I'm sure adcoms won't worry even if they can view this information, which I sincerely doubt they can. That's just your anxiety talking 😉
There's this thing in the health field called HIPPO. When your doctor tries to discuss protected health information a hippo comes and sits on them, preventing them from discussing any such thing. Look it up.
Edit: said something stupid. Removed it.
Good ol' Harry the Hippo Hipster.
If you are prescribed, then there is no "getting off" of it. It's a medical treatment; he's not going to be using it so he can get better grades. He's using it to function normally.You ain't gonna be popping the A pills when yo are in dental school, best to get off that habit.
S
schmoob
Why not? Why won't he be "popping them" in dental school? And why is it a "habit?"You ain't gonna be popping the A pills when yo are in dental school, best to get off that habit.
As a future health care professional, I encourage you to choose words carefully and put judgement aside.
There is also "only a thin line" between vicodin and heroin... what will you be prescribing after surgery?There is only a thin line of difference between methamphetamine and the A pill. Stop trying to defend whatever you are proclaiming.
D
deleted696582
Rubbing dirt on itThere is also "only a thin line" between vicodin and heroin... what will you be prescribing after surgery?
Did you just compare AD(H)D patients who take Adderall for treatment purposes to meth addicts?There is only a thin line of difference between methamphetamine and the A pill. Stop trying to defend whatever you are proclaiming.
And you're trying to get into healthcare field?
Last edited:
S
schmoob
How do you know what I'm defending if you don't know what I'm proclaiming?There is only a thin line of difference between methamphetamine and the A pill. Stop trying to defend whatever you are proclaiming.
If the pt presentation and sx arw indicative of ADHD, a CNS stimulant is a widely accepted, and medically ethical approach to treatment.
Also, as a predent, do not proclaim what people can or can not do in dental school.
And FYI, methamphetamine is also available by prescription.
There are cases where dental students (students in general) have obtained illicit/illegal supplies of Adderall in an attempt to increase their focus or their energy for studying. This is not OK.
However, if you are legitimately prescribed a drug for treatment of a condition or disease, it is not unethical or illegal to take such a prescription unless it puts you in a state where you could injure someone (narcotics, for example). Adcoms do NOT have authorization to simply look up your Rx history unless you were to explicitly sign a waiver for that.
If you seriously have ADD, there's nothing to be afraid of if you are prescribed appropriate medication and you take it as directed. Same thing if you have anxiety or depression and you have to take SSRIs or other similar medication.
However, if you are legitimately prescribed a drug for treatment of a condition or disease, it is not unethical or illegal to take such a prescription unless it puts you in a state where you could injure someone (narcotics, for example). Adcoms do NOT have authorization to simply look up your Rx history unless you were to explicitly sign a waiver for that.
If you seriously have ADD, there's nothing to be afraid of if you are prescribed appropriate medication and you take it as directed. Same thing if you have anxiety or depression and you have to take SSRIs or other similar medication.
Thank you for your reply, guys!
I went to see a psychiatrist today and I was diagnosed with ADHD (he told me the term ADD is no longer used; instead, both ADD and ADHD are called ADHD but ADHD now has 2 categories: inattentive and hyperactive&inattentive).
I belong to ADHD-inattentive category and apparently, I have a severe case of it. Funny and frustrating at the same time how I lived 24 years with it.
My psychiatrist prescribed a stimulant called Vyvanse (he told me it's an amphetamine base so should work like other amphetamine base stimulants) and we'll see how this goes.
Again, thank you for your responses!
I went to see a psychiatrist today and I was diagnosed with ADHD (he told me the term ADD is no longer used; instead, both ADD and ADHD are called ADHD but ADHD now has 2 categories: inattentive and hyperactive&inattentive).
I belong to ADHD-inattentive category and apparently, I have a severe case of it. Funny and frustrating at the same time how I lived 24 years with it.
My psychiatrist prescribed a stimulant called Vyvanse (he told me it's an amphetamine base so should work like other amphetamine base stimulants) and we'll see how this goes.
Again, thank you for your responses!
S
schmoob
Not so much of an amphetamine base, but it's a more sophisticated mechanism of action than adderall and adderall XR. It'll take longer to feel the effects, but it has a lower potential for abuse and is longer lasting than adderall.Thank you for your reply, guys!
I went to see a psychiatrist today and I was diagnosed with ADHD (he told me the term ADD is no longer used; instead, both ADD and ADHD are called ADHD but ADHD now has 2 categories: inattentive and hyperactive&inattentive).
I belong to ADHD-inattentive category and apparently, I have a severe case of it. Funny and frustrating at the same time how I lived 24 years with it.
My psychiatrist prescribed a stimulant called Vyvanse (he told me it's an amphetamine base so should work like other amphetamine base stimulants) and we'll see how this goes.
Again, thank you for your responses!
I'm glad you are being treated for your condition and hopefully it will help you succeed. Just be smart with the meds, don't abuse them and don't sell them.
Oh and I hope you have good insurance because it is EXPENSIVE.
.
Oh and I hope you have good insurance because it is EXPENSIVE.
The company that manufactures vyvanse has a coupon card you can use in conjunction with your insurance that brings the price down to $30 max.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
watch out for the dry mouth. that can destroy your teeth.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E