Stock Market 2022 except we just talk about stocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just last 2 years. But sp made like record gains in last 2 yeafs

That’s true.

My retirement acct had 4x’d from 2017 to Nov 2021. Then I had massive losses since Nov and now it’s a little over 3x since 2017. As they say, time in market>timing the market.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
That’s true.

My retirement acct had 4x’d from 2017 to Nov 2021. Then I had massive losses since Nov and now it’s a little over 3x since 2017. As they say, time in market>timing the market.

3x!!! that's still incredible. that probably going to allow you to retire a decade earlier lol. but im guessing you had a lot of individual stocks, since sp500 "only " up 84% in past 5 years

Reactions: 1 user
3x!!! that's still incredible. that probably going to allow you to retire a decade earlier lol. but im guessing you had a lot of individual stocks, since sp500 "only " up 84% in past 5 years

Yes it was juiced with TSLA NVDA AAPL ARKK among others. Then I paid the price.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, well be thankful you didn’t buy those stocks when they were near all time highs like yours truly did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yea, we’ll be thankful you didn’t buy those stocks when they were near all time highs like yours truly did.

I guess I’m a believer in tech and still hold all of them. I don’t sell except a couple gambles…GME and DOCS which I no longer hold

Last edited:
if you have the stomach for it, check out TQQQ, triple leveraged tech ETF. i don't mind it as the volatility is nothing like OTC stocks, which is what I mainly do

Missed out on Tesla when it fell to $160/shr a couple years back, but bought some Rivian in my IRA for long-term.

Missed out on Tesla when it fell to $160/shr a couple years back, but bought some Rivian in my IRA for long-term.

im a firm believer that rivian and lucid will go bankrupt in next 10 years. hope you didnt get when it was 129 a share. though rivian options are well priced

if you have the stomach for it, check out TQQQ, triple leveraged tech ETF. i don't mind it as the volatility is nothing like OTC stocks, which is what I mainly do
i thought leveraged funds are mainly for hedge and not for long term holds. i forgot what, but something about it that degrades the value over time ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a small position and my basis is way below that..

Russian central Bank increased its interest rate to 20% in the midst of a collapsing ruble and sanctions. Perhaps it is high risk.. but. Is there a play to make money from this?
Even before Putin had his stroke or whatever brain damage led him to invade Ukraine, Russia was a one-dimensional petro-state with an economy the size of Italy. When the panic subsides, even if they totally collapse, I don't see them really dragging the world economy down. The worst that happens is that Europe pays a little more for energy for a while.

I'm not changing anything I do because of Russia. I certainly wouldn't throw money at Russian bonds or the like.

Reactions: 1 users
Even before Putin had his stroke or whatever brain damage led him to invade Ukraine, Russia was a one-dimensional petro-state with an economy the size of Italy. When the panic subsides, even if they totally collapse, I don't see them really dragging the world economy down. The worst that happens is that Europe pays a little more for energy for a while.

I'm not changing anything I do because of Russia. I certainly wouldn't throw money at Russian bonds or the like.
Default on the bonds and Nationalization of the oil companies are certainly possible. Very high risk. Very high reward play. Not to mention ethically dubious.

Russian central Bank increased its interest rate to 20% in the midst of a collapsing ruble and sanctions. Perhaps it is high risk.. but. Is there a play to make money from this?

on the plus side you can and will make money from it

on the other hand the money will be rubles

• Haha
I’m hoping they moved their money into crypto. Surprisingly, Bitcoin seems stable these days. Thus far crypto has been my best asset. Now to move in to NFT’s… HODL to the moon!

1646169025364.png

My strategy is similar to this except I look for a delta that is just a little bit lower, also do weeklies because that delicious decay is so high. If it's above my strike Friday afternoon, I'll just buy to close so I don't get hit with short term capital gains on the long position. Has worked out pretty well over the past several years adding an extra 10-15% on my long positions without that much work. Always better to be the house instead of the gambler when it comes to options IMHO (of course, unless you're extremely lucky like a prev poster stated, or buying LEAPs to control more shares). I might start placing that limit order to close after hitting a profit goal, that's a great idea.
My limit order to buy to close my aapl calls I sold last Fri triggered today for nice gain. Few minutes later, limit sell to order at same strike price at higher price triggered for expiration on Friday.

Yea, well be thankful you didn’t buy those stocks when they were near all time highs like yours truly did.
Don’t worry you are not alone, I have been through 2001 bear market, have 100,000$ long term losses and 140,000$ short term losses. My little crypto gains 25,000 cannot offset all the losses. Also have been trying to recover by chasing losses and getting burnt. This painful downdays, some stocks are going down on huge volumes, tech nasdaq going down on low volumes. Cannot explain all the algotrading.

Gazprom shares had a 50% haircut , it pays 3.5 divident before the drop. Yamdex, another haircut. But the biggest worry is if Russian ruble is attacked on the currency markets and watch Their reaction.

Don’t worry you are not alone, I have been through 2001 bear market, have 100,000$ long term losses and 140,000$ short term losses. My little crypto gains 25,000 cannot offset all the losses. Also have been trying to recover by chasing losses and getting burnt. This painful downdays, some stocks are going down on huge volumes, tech nasdaq going down on low volumes. Cannot explain all the algotrading.

Gazprom shares had a 50% haircut , it pays 3.5 divident before the drop. Yamdex, another haircut. But the biggest worry is if Russian ruble is attacked on the currency markets and watch Their reaction.
when you buying yamdex?

Rivian has the backing of Amazon, why do u think it will go bankrupt?

amazon can just sell their stake. they arent going to endlessly pour money into a sinking ship

also ford already stopped their co development with rivian . they still own 12% though

but rivian has a higher chance of surviving past 2030 than lucid lol

Last edited:
All true, but also true that Soros Fund bought whole bunch of shares in Rivian.

Just watched the Netflix documentary on Boeing and thr 737 max and its infuriating. I'm surprised nobody whose family was killed due to Boeing's corporate greed put a hit on the CEO and its senior executives. What some people would do for a dollar...

I would never invest in Boeing. Just like I would never invest in oil companies or companies that make firearms or other weapons of war.

Last edited:
amazon can just sell their stake. they arent going to endlessly pour money into a sinking ship

also ford already stopped their co development with rivian . they still own 12% though

but rivian has a higher chance of surviving past 2030 than lucid lol
Why are you so sure about LCID. Then buy puts with your confidence

The Soros Fund bought like 20 million shares. It was noted in a Feb release. I have Rivian in my IRA for long term, so I'm not concerned about daily fluctuations.

Plan to hold at a minimum til I finish residency. Average down, sell CCs when I get 100 shares.

EDIT: I have one stinker in my long term portfolio. It's down 80% due to disputes/lawsuits between the founder and BOD. But I am holding and selling CCs because the technology is sound. Amazon recently contracted to work with the company. Once the disputes are settled, it should rebound.

Last edited:
Plan to hold at a minimum til I finish residency. Average down, sell CCs when I get 100 shares.

EDIT: I have one stinker in my long term portfolio. It's down 80% due to disputes/lawsuits between the founder and BOD. But I am holding and selling CCs because the technology is sound. Amazon recently contracted to work with the company. Once the disputes are settled, it should rebound.

ouch. down 80% in your IRA? cant even tax harvest. hope the company gains 500% so you at least break even soon!

also you should post the ticker, so everyone can buy it and drive up the price

Last edited:
  • Care
Gotta love the after hours… snowflake stock fell 30% in the span of 2 minutes.

Gotta love the after hours… snowflake stock fell 30% in the span of 2 minutes.

it fell when they released earnings after market close showing 0.43 loss per share vs consensus estimate of 0.02 cent profit per share

it fell when they released earnings after market close showing 0.43 loss per share vs consensus estimate of 0.02 cent profit per share
I figure I’ll just buy more now. I just brought it up to show how the after hours is where most the gains and losses seem to occur… and fast!

actually it went down because of decreased growth guidance for the next year. it actually beat EPS

its pretty crazy, their guidance is 70% growth. which is abysmal compared to this years 100% growth lol. a decrease of 30% , therefore stock drop 30%

None of it even matters, the system is rigged man!

actually it went down because of decreased growth guidance for the next year. it actually beat EPS

its pretty crazy, their guidance is 70% growth. which is abysmal compared to this years 100% growth lol. a decrease of 30% , therefore stock drop 30%

hmm, the first fin news aggregator-bot I saw said -0.43 vs consensus est 0.02, though later ones are now saying analysts had varying adjustments to estimates that the company doesn't even provide all the numbers for. I can't even tell what the actual estimates were supposed to be.

It is pretty normal for companies to drop earnings after hours and for their to be big swings since it is the biggest news possible for a company financially.

oh heard of that. there are so many lidar companies, havent done my research on competitive advantage. just did a brief read. it says alphabet dropped them.
Alphabet's Waymo dropped them in 2019. Old news. It's a penny stock right now. I don't advocate investing in it right now until the lawsuits between the founder and BOD resolve.

Alphabet's Waymo dropped them in 2019. Old news. It's a penny stock right now. I don't advocate investing in it right now until the lawsuits between the founder and BOD resolve.

even if lawsuits are resolved it has significant headwinds. it seems like luminar is partnered with 12 of the top 15 automobile companies. that makes them the clear winner at the moment. vldr need some serious advantage in technology if they want those companies to drop luminar and go with vldr. seems like a speculative play. hope you win!

I'm in too deep to bail. Fortunately, my time horizon is long. Just got to continue to sell CCs in the meantime.

• Haha
Just watched the Netflix documentary on Boeing and thr 737 max and its infuriating. I'm surprised nobody whose family was killed due to Boeing's corporate greed put a hit on the CEO and its senior executives. What some people would do for a dollar...

I would never invest in Boeing. Just like I would never invest in oil companies or companies that make firearms or other weapons of war.
That’s a lot harder than it seems. You probably are investing in oil companies and weapons, most people are, even if you think you are investing in something else. A lot of ESG investing is smoke and mirrors.

As a for instance, a bit ago I became interested in investing in plastic recycling, (not easy to make money doing) and discovered a company called Mura technologies that processes “unrecyclable” plastics in to short chain hydrocarbons. I might be be mistaken, but I seem to recall this process discussed by David Attenborough, who can make anything sound like it’s good for the oceans. Upon investigation, the original company appears to have been acquired by Kellogg, Brown, and Root. KBR does a lot of things, especially petrochemical, and they do it well. But they also make weapons. Amazing weapons, in fact.

Then again, one’s perspective can shift on these things. If anyone has been cheering for Saint Javelin lately, it can’t be overlooked that the real patron here is Raytheon and Lockheed-Martin.

I’m not sure Boeing is any worse than EADS or Embraer. For another take on the 737 MAX I recommend William Langeweische’s 2019 NYT piece. Inadequate training and many other factors played a role.

invest to make money and then do good things for the world with that money if that is what floats your boat. Dollar for dollar you will get more good done that way than just doing ESG investing IMHO.

oh heard of that. there are so many lidar companies, havent done my research on competitive advantage. just did a brief read. it says alphabet dropped them.
The winner of LIDAR will be Microvision (MVIS). Best in class LIDAR specs, plus an AR vertical partnership with Microsoft. Check out the robust DD on r/MVIS. Price has plummeted due to small caps getting hammered but has stabilized recently.

If you look carefully, Luminar's deals are all NON-PRODUCTION deals involving Luminar giving away free stock to the OEMs (aka "blood money"). No guarantee OEMs will place actual orders. Austin admitted this on the recent CC. Company is great at PR but has an inferior product, clunky with moving parts (not MEMs based).

LOL. The ticker is VLDR.
VLDR seems to have abandoned the automotive sector in favor of industrial as their product is a spinning bucket that will not be featured on any decent looking consumer vehicle. Their Amazon deal was giving way free diluted stock to Amazon in exchange for using their name. Cut your losses and jump in Microvision.