Stony Brook vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMSinNY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen a lot of posts that compared Stony Brook and Columbia to various other schools (NYU, Penn, etc.), but haven't seen any comparing the two. Not sure if I may have missed it, but please share your opinions on this. I keep on going back and forth between the two schools...

Members don't see this ad.

Do you plan on specializing?

OMSinNY said:
So I've seen a lot of posts that compared Stony Brook and Columbia to various other schools (NYU, Penn, etc.), but haven't seen any comparing the two. Not sure if I may have missed it, but please share your opinions on this. I keep on going back and forth between the two schools...

oh my impressive acceptance list!! I am quasi-pre dental here, I decided to become a dentist cuz it's a hot profession hehe. Jokes aside, I see that you are from Long Island, I live in the city and it's tough leaving this area- NYC is great. Anyways I have the same question as you, I hear Columbia is a great reseach school, but I also hear Stony Brook is advanced and up to date with technology. I know this post doesn't help much, mainly because I have the same question as you. I simply think leaving New York is silly. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
OMSinNY said:

I have a couple friends who went to STONY D school. Didn't really ask much about their school experience but seems they have a small class size and judging from their b**ching seems they get enough patients in the clinic :laugh: . If your living in new york why don't you visit the two schools and talk to the students?

OMSinNY said:

I have a couple friends who went to STONY D school. Didn't really ask much about their school experience but seems they have a small class size and judging from their b**ching seems they get enough patients in the clinic :laugh: . If your living in new york why don't you visit the two schools and talk to the students?

OMSinNY said:

I think you should be debating between Stony Brook and Buffalo, not Columbia.

As of now, I am planning on specializing...but we all know that may change quickly. I've spoken to students at both schools, and for the most part, they all love where they are. Only one student told me to select one school over the other, but didn't give any reason for this. I've spoken to recent graduates from the schools and dentists with 30+ years experience, and they all seem split on the subject. I know what I think are the pros and cons to each school, but I'm trying to figure out how some of my future colleagues view each school, the impressions they got of the schools on interviews, how they are making their final decisions, and so forth...

Since you do plan on specializing I think Columbia would be your best choice. Stony and Columbia are both great schools, but from what I have been told Columbia is a more prestigious school and they are known for producing students that go on to specialize. I don't know if you live in the city now but I think attending Columbia and living in the city could be one of the greatest experiences of your life.

DieselKJ said:
Since you do plan on specializing I think Columbia would be your best choice. Stony and Columbia are both great schools, but from what I have been told Columbia is a more prestigious school and they are known for producing students that go on to specialize. I don't know if you live in the city now but I think attending Columbia and living in the city could be one of the greatest experiences of your life.

I am not going to get into a debate about school prestige.. But when it comes down to specializing, you can do it from any school. It depends on your grades, LORs, and board scores.

The most recent stats for SB dental is for the class of 2006: 39 people and 15 are specializing -- pretty impressive if you ask me.

Take it from a DS.. All dental schools suck. Why would anyone pay an additional $100k+ to go to a d-school where it's not going to be any different than anywhere else.

Think of the similarities between columbia, Harvard, Uconn and Stony.
1. Take science courses with med students
2. High rate of specializing
3. Good record when it comes to the boards
4. All (except CU) have a small class

Additonally, at SB you start clinic in 2nd year -- I believe the others start in 3rd year.

Good luck to all of you in making your decisions