This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinaVet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping that yall can provide me with some words of wisdom and guidance.. Here's my story..

I am 20 years old majoring in biology my GPA is a 2.89 and I had a horrible sophomore year due to family reasons. I have retaken MANY classes to make up for the bad year I had but as you can see my GPA isn't anywhere near where it needs to be and probably won't be graduating on time. I haven't taken the GRE yet.
I am VERY VERY VERY worried about my chance of getting accepted )):

Members don't see this ad.

First off, take a deep breathe.
Second, post your stats in the "What are my chances thread?" sticked at the top do get the most responses.

Your GPA is low, but you can get it up (how much depends on how many credits you have). Figure out where your weaknesses. Go to office hours. Get A's from here on out and retake classes less than a C. Kick butt on the GRE. It's not a race. Take the time it takes, don't be in a hurry and sacrifice your grades. If you want this, it's possible.

Also, remember that grades aren't the only part of an application, you need good experiences too!

Reactions: 1 user
Were I in your situation, I would calculate what grades I needed to raise my GPA to at least a 3.0 and then figure out how many more semesters/quarters that would require. Anymore, many students are taking over 4 years to finish undergrad so that's not a problem unless you have financial issues that complicate that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, take a deep breathe.
Second, post your stats in the "What are my chances thread?" sticked at the top do get the most responses.

Your GPA is low, but you can get it up (how much depends on how many credits you have). Figure out where your weaknesses. Go to office hours. Get A's from here on out and retake classes less than a C. Kick butt on the GRE. It's not a race. Take the time it takes, don't be in a hurry and sacrifice your grades. If you want this, it's possible.

Also, remember that grades aren't the only part of an application, you need good experiences too!

Thank you so much I'll post there now!

Were I in your situation, I would calculate what grades I needed to raise my GPA to at least a 3.0 and then figure out how many more semesters/quarters that would require. Anymore, many students are taking over 4 years to finish undergrad so that's not a problem unless you have financial issues that complicate that route.

Thank you! I'm just worried about what I'm planning on doing if I grad. late..

Alternatively, just get a solid 3.7-3.8 or better from here on out and then target your application for places that look at last-45 and pre-req GPA rather than overall.

Thank you! I'm just worried about what I'm planning on doing if I grad. late..

Don't worry about it. Definitely not a race just like @mmmdreamerz said. There's lots of us who are older in vet school. I'll be 32 when I graduate. Strategize and do a good job with remaining classes.

Hey everyone!

I'm hoping that yall can provide me with some words of wisdom and guidance.. Here's my story..

I am 20 years old majoring in biology my GPA is a 2.89 and I had a horrible sophomore year due to family reasons. I have retaken MANY classes to make up for the bad year I had but as you can see my GPA isn't anywhere near where it needs to be and probably won't be graduating on time. I haven't taken the GRE yet.
I am VERY VERY VERY worried about my chance of getting accepted )):

I would try to focus on the remaining years you have left to try to improve your GPA, it's difficult but can be done. I wouldn't worry so much about the GRE yet, you still have plenty of time to take that. Also don't be afraid to take some time off from school too in order to gain experiences and what not. You're still quite young and have time on your side :)

I'll be 32 when I graduate.

03198defbf9905613bedbbdd2323228d.jpg

Reactions: 5 users