strong child/adolescent programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Call Me Ishmael

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to residency programs this fall. Given that it's often easier to stay at one's residency institution for fellowship, I thought I'd try to solicit some opinions (I've done a search of the forum and this doesn't seem to come up much). As someone who is interested in doing a C&A fellowship and ultimately ending up in academia, I'm trying to gauge where some of the stronger C&A programs are. Any thoughts?

To pose this a different way, are there any highly regarded psych programs that have disproportionately weak C&A fellowships; and on the other hand, any less renown residency programs with surprisingly strong C&A fellowships?

Much obliged,
C M I

Members don't see this ad.

To pose this a different way, are there any highly regarded psych programs that have disproportionately weak C&A fellowships; and on the other hand, any less renown residency programs with surprisingly strong C&A fellowships?

Of course, it begs the question of whether you mean clinically strong programs alone, or programs that are both clinically strong and have strong research/academic presences, but for the most part, the answer to the first question is a big yes. The answer to the second I don't know.

You get the best feel for this when you actually interview at places and ask where residents match for child. Some folks will always stick around, because it's comfortable, but generally, just as medical students typically match at "better" psychiatry programs than their medical schools, residents typically match at "better" child fellowships than their residencies.

I'm only familiar with programs that I looked at when applying to a general residency program and from word of mouth as I only applied to one fellowship for Child.

In no particular order: Yale, Brown, MassGen, UMaryland/SP, Penn, UMich, Pitt, U of Louisville, UCLA. There are many others, but these are the ones that come to mind that I've heard as being strong. In general, the strong adult programs are likely going to have a strong child program. But not always. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only familiar with programs that I looked at when applying to a general residency program and from word of mouth as I only applied to one fellowship for Child.

In no particular order: Yale, Brown, MassGen, UMaryland/SP, Penn, UMich, Pitt, U of Louisville, UCLA. There are many others, but these are the ones that come to mind that I've heard as being strong. In general, the strong adult programs are likely going to have a strong child program. But not always. Good luck!

Thanks Marantha! Do you or anyone else know any other programs that are strong in C&A psych? I'm particularly interested in programs in the south, such as Emory, the Carolinas, and in Florida, if anyone has good knowledge of those. I'm an MSIII applying for Psych programs this summer and am trying to gauge where I should do externships/research electives or at least apply for residency, knowing my intention is being a child and adolescent psychiatrist.

So far, I'm planning on doing related electives at 2 programs in the south, perhaps in Peds (maybe adolescent medicine), child neuro, C&A psych, and a psych sub-I. Are there other MSIV electives that are good for those interested in C&A psych to build their experience and hopefully secure some good LORs?

Also, do most people who enter C&A psych know it from the beginning of psych residency and directly enter the 5-year pathway, or do they apply elsewhere/"sign up" for the program at their own residency site after beginning residency?

Thank you all for your help, and sorry for so many questions! It's just that I'm at the end of another day of surgery clerkship really looking forward to my days in Psych!

Thanks Marantha! Do you or anyone else know any other programs that are strong in C&A psych? I'm particularly interested in programs in the south, such as Emory, the Carolinas, and in Florida, if anyone has good knowledge of those. I'm an MSIII applying for Psych programs this summer and am trying to gauge where I should do externships/research electives or at least apply for residency, knowing my intention is being a child and adolescent psychiatrist.

I'm not that familiar with the southern programs. In the past, MUSC was supposed to have a pretty good child program. I interviewed there for adult and did speak to a child fellow who seemed happy with the program. She also mentioned the hours were great. But that was 4 years ago...

So far, I'm planning on doing related electives at 2 programs in the south, perhaps in Peds (maybe adolescent medicine), child neuro, C&A psych, and a psych sub-I. Are there other MSIV electives that are good for those interested in C&A psych to build their experience and hopefully secure some good LORs?

Those electives you mentioned are good. The only other good electives that are "C&A related" would be pediatric endocrine. But try to make sure you see some interesting cases and not just diabetes.

Also, do most people who enter C&A psych know it from the beginning of psych residency and directly enter the 5-year pathway, or do they apply elsewhere/"sign up" for the program at their own residency site after beginning residency?

For myself, I knew I wanted to do child after 2 weeks of doing my C&A rotation as a 3rd year medical student. However, I also knew a lot of general residents say they want to do child before residency and end up not going into it. So, I kept an open mind through my training and did, briefly, consider other options such as CL and addictions. But after doing my child rotation in residency, I knew that was where I belonged. I'm in the fellowship now and love it. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Good luck!

the farthest south I interviewed was UNC/Duke, but both places appeared to be solid in C&A, UMaryland was really nice too (baltimore having the best combination of southern efficiency and northern charm ;) ).

as for Penn, which was mentioned above, a number of residents there said that the fellowship isn't at the same quality level as the general residency.

and while we're here... a few programs I applied to had reputations for having their C&A spots fill almost entirely internally every year (Pitt, Carolina). I can assume that speaks positively of the program? :luck: