Study Music for Medical School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to finish my Music Appreciation class this semester, and I want to make a CD of alot of the music that we've listened to over the semester so I can take it to medical school. I know there's a some research out there that implies listening to art music while studying can do some good, but I'm really doing it just because I like it :D

Here are my candidates. Please reply if you have any suggestions!

Vivaldi - "Spring" from The Four Seasons
Mozart - Eine kleine Nachtmusik
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5
Mozart - Piano Concerto in G major
Beethoven - Piano Sonata in C-sharp minor
Clara Schumann - "Nocturne" from Music for an Evening Entertainment
Smetana - The Moldau
Handel - Water Music</SPAN>
Mozart - Fur Elise

I'm a chem. major and didn't really expect to enjoy this class, but I really have. Old music rules! :) Well, except that early 20th century stuff, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Gotta get some Chopin in there... preferably nocturnes

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed :thumbup:. I'm a hard rock / metal kind of guy:cool:, but I almost always listen to classical while studying.

I'd also suggest flamenco / classical / Spanish guitar :rolleyes:

I've only heard "Polonaise," and it wasn't really what I'm looking for. I'll search for some other stuff though; if you can see from my list, I like piano pieces.

With Chopin it's usually either insanely difficult, technical, exciting pieces or soft beautiful masterpieces.

Wow, not bad! Before all the DMB junkies get on my case, I guess I should clarify that while I like DMB a lot and they're obviously good at what they do, the Flecktones are all among the best in their craft and are insanely technically talented. Vic Wooten is particularly amazing. Oh man.

I'm new to classical music but so far i have really enjoyed Vivaldi's "the four seasons" Pachelbel's Canon (a bit original)
Pinchas Zukerman, Symphony No.22 "the philosopher":I, II, III
Vivaldi- Domini Fili unigenite
Dvorak Symphony No 9
Handel: "The ****oo & The Nightingale"
im interested in what else is out there, so keep them coming

Mozart - Rondo alla Turca --> seriously

also, get the soundtrack from The Last of the Mohicans
It has some awesome tracks, and is wonderful orchestral study music.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like listening to foreign songs like Japanese or Korean songs that I do not understand whatsoever. It helps me focus because I cannot understand it and the beats are nice.

Specifically I enjoy songs using a talkbox or synthesizer like Daft Punk, just in a different language.

I'm about to finish my Music Appreciation class this semester, and I want to make a CD of alot of the music that we've listened to over the semester so I can take it to medical school. I know there's a some research out there that implies listening to art music while studying can do some good, but I'm really doing it just because I like it :D

Here are my candidates. Please reply if you have any suggestions!

Vivaldi - "Spring" from The Four Seasons
Mozart - Eine kleine Nachtmusik
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5
Mozart - Piano Concerto in G major
Beethoven - Piano Sonata in C-sharp minor
Clara Schumann - "Nocturne" from Music for an Evening Entertainment
Smetana - The Moldau
Handel - Water Music</SPAN>
Mozart - Fur Elise

I'm a chem. major and didn't really expect to enjoy this class, but I really have. Old music rules! :) Well, except that early 20th century stuff, lol.

First time I'm seeing someone here really interested in classical music. I've been a classical addict for the last six years listening to nothing but classical. Believe me, there are so many pieces there that you can never run out. Compare that to pop music, and you can go through an entire repertoire of any one artist in a week or less.

Ok, some suggestions: No classical list can be complete without the father of all classical music: Johann Sebastian Bach. Here are some of the more famous pieces by him and the best performers:

J.S. Bach:
Brandenburg Concertos (Alessandrini)
Cello Suites (Yo-Yo Ma, 2nd version)
Goldberg Variations (Gould)
Overture No.2 in B Minor (Pinnock)
Piano Concertos (Gould)
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Hurford)

Here is Bach's Prelude and Fugue in A Minor, BWV 543, I.Praeludium
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEhPprtZOdc[/youtube]

Not the best performance, but ok (try Weissenberg instead).

Here is Bach's Chorale Prelude 'Ich rud' zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ,' BWV 639
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrptYiV25JQ&feature=related[/youtube]

I like Perahia's version better.

Here is the exquisite first movement of Goldberg Variations by Glend Gould himself:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv94m_S3QDo[/youtube]

Another piece by Bach - Prelude in D Minor, BWV 926 (Gould):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytmb4u2XDqU[/youtube]

I can go on and on about Bach because I think too many people who are new to classical music don't appreciate the importance of Bach. Mozart and Beethoven, among many other old and new composers, have learned from him.

Just to throw this out there, here is what's considered one of the best works by Chopin - Nocturne Op.Posth in C Sharp Minor:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Wsp9TpIZw[/youtube]

I'd get the version played by Arrau.

If you like any particular style or composer, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions. I like all composers.

I'll end with a piece that is not well known even to classical aficionados:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjwnWWNNeFg[/youtube]

That's Ave Maria by Giulio Caccini. You might like the voice version too.

Give Bela Fleck and the Flecktones a try. It's like Dave Matthews Band with better musicians.

YEESSSssss. Bela is the ultimate study music.. Not sure I'd stoop to comparing them to DMB though...

Beethoven Piano Sonatas and Concertos
Bach Violin Sonatas and Partitas
Erik Satie
Yann Tiersen
Philip Glass Quartets
Borodin- Polovtsian Dances
Dvorak and Beethoven Romance(s)
and yes, Tchaikovsky, as much as you can get your hands on

Oooh, I love classical music! Here's some favs, off the top of my head:

Bach, Jesu, joy of man's desiring
Bach, Cello Suite #3
Bach, Brandenburg Concertos
Beethoven, Symphony No. 6 Pastorale
Bernstein, Candide
Chopin, Sonata No. 2 Op. 35 Copeland, Appalachian Spring
Dvorak, Symphony No. 9
Dvorak, Slavonic Dances Op. 46
Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue
Handel, The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Hindemith, Symphonic Metamorphosis
Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Overture
Respighi, Pines of Rome
Saint-Saens, Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso, Op. 28
Sarasate, Fantasy on Carmen
Schubert, Symphony No. 5
Shostakovich, Festive Overture
Sousa, any march you can find!
Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6
Tchaikovsky, The Nutcracker
Telemann, Concerto in D Major
Vivaldi, Four Seasons

Clearly, I am a music dork. I know this. I also realize that I'm sure I'm leaving off some of my absolute favorites that aren't coming to mind right now.

And Bela Fleck is awesome, too....especially live.

Some of my favorites:

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5
Mendelssohn, Violin Concerto in e minor (overplayed? yes...but still great)
Shostakovich, Symphony No. 5
Sibelius, Finlandia
Verdi, Nabucco Overture
Mozart, Magic Flute Overture
Sarasate, Zigeunerweisen
Beethoven, Choral Fantasy

More later..

Nobody mentioned Mahler or Brahms!? Two of my favorites....

Brahms Violin concerto in D Major,

Mahler....anything. But on second thought....that might be an acquired taste.

Can't go wrong with Beethoven symphonies though. I played the 5th at a concert last night :D

J.S. Bach:
Brandenburg Concertos (Alessandrini)
Cello Suites (Yo-Yo Ma, 2nd version)
Goldberg Variations (Gould)
Overture No.2 in B Minor (Pinnock)
Piano Concertos (Gould)
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Hurford)

Holy crap! There's alot of classical music nerds here! Heh, just kidding :D I started the thread after all...

I was waiting for some Bach. He was pretty much the mac-daddy of the Baroque Period, but I didn't really like the pieces we listened to in class.

Keep it coming! It's gonna take me a while to sift through all this music to find ones that I like. Youtube is awesome, right? They seem to have every song ever.

fwiw, Fuer Elise is by Beethoven.

I listen to a lot of Mozart when I study. Reading this thread title I expected something different; rather than being a thread about CD's with music to listen to while studying, I expected a thread about how the diligent pursuit of music and developing one's mind to understand and appreciate the order of well-crafted music prepares one for the study of the order/disorder of the human body. Pleasantly surprised though. :)

I can't listen to Beethoven, Schubert, or other romantic composers while studying because I inevitably focus on what I hear rather than what I read. I have most of what Mozart composed and when I need to study for a few hours I usually start off with the Piano Sonatas, start reading, and let time pass. Bach also works well; the Cello Suites, Goldberg Variations, Organ works, French Suites..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEHnp1AUU4[/YOUTUBE]

You're welcome.

Rihanna's "Umbrella" That should definitely help the studying sink in. Follow that up with Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time." Always does the trick for me.

Do you really need to ask?

It was mostly rhetorical and I was thinking maybe, just maybe you were joking.

Britney Spears and Rihanna don't come to mind when most people think of study music. Whatever works for you though and judging from your MdApps...its working well. ;)

Not to ruin your party, but do you guys really appreciate classical music?

A lot of people listen to classical music solely for seeming more sophisticated and intelligent.

If you listen to it because you like it, then props to you :thumbup:

A lot of people listen to classical music solely for seeming more sophisticated and intelligent.

I definitely enjoy classical music. But I'm a nerd/dork.

Also

George Gershwin - anything, but particularly "rhapsody in blue".

Radiohead

If you're daring; star wars trilogy

I think for those of us who play (or used to play) instruments featured in a lot of these pieces, classical music definitely is something we enjoy. I know that I listen to some of these pieces and remember playing them myself over the years. I rarely listen to classical in the presence of other people, too, so you can't accuse me to just trying to sound elitist by having Handel playing! :p

This thread is full of win. :thumbup:

I rarely discuss classical music b/c (much like being a pre-med), it seems to bring out the arrogant folks who want to seem refined rather than actually enjoy the music. Plus I hate debates on the technicality of music which always come up. L'art pour l'art and all that jazz, I say.

I'm a bigger fan of opera (e.g. early Charlotte Church, Maria Callas, Marian Anderson, etc.) but I like furniture music so I always recommend Satie. (His Gymnopedies being the most famous work.) Most of my other fav composers have already been listed.

I also recommend jazz -- Billie Holiday and Nina Simone especially. (I love "Strange Fruit".) Mahalia Jackson is awesome as well.

Uhm, also try the soundtrack to Memoirs of a Geisha. It's great.

I like mixing genres so Kelly Price's version of Ave Maria and The Doors version of Albinoni's Adagio in G minor are cool too.

I don't quite agree. If anything, it seems that listening to classical music among younger people is somewhat of a stigma. Sure, you may have some dilettantes attending Hollywood Bowl or sitting in the first row of Disney Hall just because they donated a bunch of money to the place, but mostly when people cite specific works by lesser known composers, that's a great sign. Imagine blasting classical music in your car. That's not exactly orthodox. I used to be self-conscious about that, but I have stopped caring a long time ago. Some opera pieces sure attract some weird looks! In all these years of driving I have never heard anyone listen to classical in their car, much less blast it like rap or pop. So it's not exactly as popular as to make people think that you are sophisticated. The more common response is that you're 1.Weird, 2.A Dork, 3.Have Asperger's, 4.A genius serial killer (thanks to movies like Hannibal and House of Wax), or 5.All of the above.

And finally, I'd much rather people listen to classical just because they think it might make them more intelligent (or seem so) rather than not listen to it at all. If you try it for whatever reason, there is some probability of developing genuine interest. If you don't listen to classical at all, then you will for sure not know whether you like it or not. Therefore, regardless of the motive, any interest in this dying branch of music in popular culture is always good. I think recommending something is a far better approach than "ruining" the party.

I just recently started listening to classical music and it's amazing at the depth of emotions that you can experience while listening to it.

This is my favorite piece so far: Gorecki's Symphony no.3 opus 36.

http://www.imeem.com/people/v3gx_w/...armonique_de_varsovie_kazimierez_kord_goreck/

And for studying, I need to have instrumentals. Any spoken word tends to make me loose focus.

Here are some a couple I would recommend:

• Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
  • Rachmaninoff's Op.23, No.5

And here they are, respectively:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHWWck[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXU7I_Yyi2Y[/youtube]

Emil Gilels is one of the best pianists of the century. Don't forget Rachmaninoff's Morceaux de Fantasie, Op.3 in C Sharp Minor, No.2-Prelude
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuMVBLEWJU[/YOUTUBE]