Studying for 2015 MCAT during a school semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiakTiDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All
I was hoping to get some advice as to studying for the new MCAT during a school semester.
I'm planning on taking about 12 credits (Neuroscience, Microbio, Calculus 1, and a botany/zoology elective). This would leave my Tues/Thurs fairly open with one class at 1-2PM, but I also plan to volunteer on one of those days and Saturday at the hospital for about 3/4 hours.

My Exam date is in April and I'm wondering how to study for it. Is it worth taking a structured class or studying on my own? Is my course load doable, or should I cut something? (I do need to be a full time student for financial aid though).
Also what are some good study material to have? So far I've been using the TBR books for Physics and Gen chem as Exam Krackers just wasn't doing it for me.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

you need to spend solid 6 months on doing the content review. it is a beast exams. do not take it lightly. you need a good score for your application to be given value. its about how many hours you put in on the exam

I would say study on your own. It will save you a lot of time IMO that is lost getting ready for class and sitting through lectures that you have a good grasp on. I think 5 months is ok. Just make sure you actually study everyday and don't put it off because before you know it April will be here. Regarding textbooks I used ExamKrackers and TPR, and I thought that was fine for the exam. Biggest word of advice is doing as many practice problems as possible. It will help with comprehension and confidence in the real deal.

Thank you both for the advice!
I'm planning on starting content review right after finals (maybe during since my 2 difficult exams are on Monday)? During break to get a head start.

Though is it bad to study for that long? I reviewed earlier for gen Chem, but i sorta lost it this semester with my other courses. How much hours a day should I dedicate without burning out?