This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnybaseball

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this thread in the hopes that it might help someone out in the future. If you're looking to study Spanish abroad somewhere, I highly recommend the classes offered by the University of Guadalajara at their College of Spanish and Mexican Culture (CECM Colegio de Español y Cultura Mexicana | Universidad de Guadalajara). During my gap year I was interested in taking Spanish courses in Mexico but there were no threads on here about past experiences...So here's my story:

I went down to Guadalajara and looked at three different schools. I ended up choosing this school because it had its own remote campus in a very safe neighborhood and I liked that it was associated with the university for CV/application purposes. The facilities were really nice. Classrooms had glass doors, projectors, and smartboard technology. I went during their off-season (October-December) so, although I paid for the group class, I was the only student in my class so I was essentially receiving 1 on 1 tutoring. All of the teachers and staff were EXTREMELY friendly and really want you to grow as much as possible. I personally had Profesora Luz who I would highly recommend. She cares for her students A TON and will tailor the course to whatever you're interested in learning. We still communicate regularly through WhatsApp to this day, thats how much she cares for her students. This is the vibe I got from all of the professors so you really can't go wrong, but I highly recommend Profesora Luz.

In terms of the living situation, the school provided me with the contact information for a woman who was renting rooms in her home the next block over. It was somewhat of a "homestay" but she ran it more like a Bed and Breakfast. Again, HIGHLY recommend. There were multiple rooms so the price depended on how big of a room you wanted. I felt extremely safe staying there. The home was gated and had a nice backyard patio if you wanted to work outside.

While I was down there I wanted to do some volunteering so the professors helped me find a volunteer opportunity at a place called FM4. Its a location that provides food, water, shelter, and medical services to migrants fleeing Central America and traveling through Mexico. I'm not sure if they are still doing it, but while I was there I was able to shadow the doctor who worked the clinic at this location. Worth it to ask if you're interested.

In the end, I think it's important to do things you are genuinely passionate about because it will make it easier to talk about on your applications and interviews. Don't just do it for the sake of doing it to add to your application because it will show. If you're like me, and being able to communicate with Spanish speaking patients is important to you, then I think this is something to consider if you have the means. It's not necessary, and I'm sure there are more affordable ways to pick up Spanish elsewhere. But if being completely immersed and studying Spanish in Mexico is something you want to make part of your story, I think this school is a great place to do so. The entire experience was something that came up over and over again in my interviews and I'm extremely glad I did it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to post this thread in the hopes that it might help someone out in the future. If you're looking to study Spanish abroad somewhere, I highly recommend the classes offered by the University of Guadalajara at their College of Spanish and Mexican Culture (CECM Colegio de Español y Cultura Mexicana | Universidad de Guadalajara). During my gap year I was interested in taking Spanish courses in Mexico but there were no threads on here about past experiences...So here's my story:

I went down to Guadalajara and looked at three different schools. I ended up choosing this school because it had its own remote campus in a very safe neighborhood and I liked that it was associated with the university for CV/application purposes. The facilities were really nice. Classrooms had glass doors, projectors, and smartboard technology. I went during their off-season (October-December) so, although I paid for the group class, I was the only student in my class so I was essentially receiving 1 on 1 tutoring. All of the teachers and staff were EXTREMELY friendly and really want you to grow as much as possible. I personally had Profesora Luz who I would highly recommend. She cares for her students A TON and will tailor the course to whatever you're interested in learning. We still communicate regularly through WhatsApp to this day, thats how much she cares for her students. This is the vibe I got from all of the professors so you really can't go wrong, but I highly recommend Profesora Luz.

In terms of the living situation, the school provided me with the contact information for a woman who was renting rooms in her home the next block over. It was somewhat of a "homestay" but she ran it more like a Bed and Breakfast. Again, HIGHLY recommend. There were multiple rooms so the price depended on how big of a room you wanted. I felt extremely safe staying there. The home was gated and had a nice backyard patio if you wanted to work outside.

While I was down there I wanted to do some volunteering so the professors helped me find a volunteer opportunity at a place called FM4. Its a location that provides food, water, shelter, and medical services to migrants fleeing Central America and traveling through Mexico. I'm not sure if they are still doing it, but while I was there I was able to shadow the doctor who worked the clinic at this location. Worth it to ask if you're interested.

In the end, I think it's important to do things you are genuinely passionate about because it will make it easier to talk about on your applications and interviews. Don't just do it for the sake of doing it to add to your application because it will show. If you're like me, and being able to communicate with Spanish speaking patients is important to you, then I think this is something to consider if you have the means. It's not necessary, and I'm sure there are more affordable ways to pick up Spanish elsewhere. But if being completely immersed and studying Spanish in Mexico is something you want to make part of your story, I think this school is a great place to do so. The entire experience was something that came up over and over again in my interviews and I'm extremely glad I did it.

Very interesting. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. How much was tuition? How much was room and board?

2. Did you take this class in the middle of the Covid pandemic or at some other time?

3. How much Spanish did you know before attending the school?

4. How many classes did you take while there? Was it the equivalent of a full year of Spanish?

5. Did you receive instruction just in speaking and listening or in reading and writing as well?

6. How does one apply?

Very interesting. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. How much was tuition? How much was room and board?

2. Did you take this class in the middle of the Covid pandemic or at some other time?

3. How much Spanish did you know before attending the school?

4. How many classes did you take while there? Was it the equivalent of a full year of Spanish?

5. Did you receive instruction just in speaking and listening or in reading and writing as well?

6. How does one apply?

1. I paid for the 4 week semi-intensive program twice (back-to-back) for a total of 8 consecutive weeks. The prices vary depending on the length of time you want to be there. The prices can be found here (CECM Colegio de Español y Cultura Mexicana | Universidad de Guadalajara). Pay special attention to how many days per week the class meets.

2. I took the class Oct-Dec of 2018.

3. I grew up with a Spanish speaking grandma so understood it relatively well. My problem was that I could not formulate my own sentences to save my life. I just didn't know the proper grammar. Taking these classes helped me get the grammar down and brought me up to a conversational level. But they can accommodate any level there. When you show up, they'll give you a placement test to determine what level you're at, and you'll be in a class with other students at your level (there are 10 levels). When I was there, there was a guy from Dubai who didn't even know basic phrases. Another guy from Canada who was learning by traveling to Spanish speaking countries. My point being, there's people at all different levels.

4. I took 8 weeks of classes. 5 days per week. 2.5 hours per day.

5. I received instruction in both. When you get there they give you a workbook that you work through daily with the teacher. The teacher also assigns a couple pages per night for homework. You really get out what you put in. Toward the end I would journal in Spanish on my own and then bring it to the teacher the next day to correct my spelling and verb conjugation. In a sense, the classes are very structured in that the instructor has a lesson plan ready to go everyday, but also very flexible in that they can accommodate whatever you want to learn that day. For example, there were some days I just wanted to learn more about the type of music they listened to traditionally, so we watched music videos on YouTube for a bit. Other days I wanted to learn about Dia de Los Muertos, so she showed me videos explaining the traditions. It can be all school and grammar related if you want, or you can get in to the cultural aspect of it as well (I'm not sure if this changes during the busy seasons when there are more students to accommodate in the class). I will say though, I learned the most just through verbal communication with the instructor. Conversation went a long way, especially since I didn't have an out to English. I had no option but to find a way to convey my message in Spanish.

6. Here is a link to register online (CECM Colegio de Español y Cultura Mexicana | Universidad de Guadalajara) but honestly I just registered when I got there the same day. I'm not sure what their protocol is right now during COVID. Looks like they're doing 40% off for online classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Guatemala and Colombia are also good places to take Spanish immersion classes like this. Definitely don't register online. It's super chill to register in person, plus prices are always negotiable in latin america lol