Stupid Questions/FAQ Thread 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it a stupid idea to apply to schools that I haven't satisfied one of the prereqs for even if their GPA is a lot lower than mine and they accept a lot of oos students?

In other words, is it not rare to get accepted without a prereq like microbiolgy or histology?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I can enter in my "minor" on AASDAS? Or is that unnecessary because it will show up on the transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you seasoned applicants/accepted students are laughing and annoyed at us first-time applicants? We are all sorts of hyper and asking some silly stuff. Nice how we jump right to SDN for support!

Thanks for the patience and help guys!

I can't even keep up lmao

Is it a stupid idea to apply to schools that I haven't satisfied one of the prereqs for even if their GPA is a lot lower than mine and they accept a lot of oos students?

In other words, is it not rare to get accepted without a prereq like microbiolgy or histology?

they'll accept you without completing the pre-req... but they won't let you matriculate if you don't complete it. Remember, there is between 6-8 months between the time they accept you till you matriculate, they will expect you to get it done.

they'll accept you without completing the pre-req... but they won't let you matriculate if you don't complete it. Remember, there is between 6-8 months between the time they accept you till you matriculate, they will expect you to get it done.

So there is no leniency for pre-reqs ever?

I want to apply to a schools that's really OOS friendly and has stats within my range but they require 1 semester of microbio. I don't plan on taking it and I called the school up and, surprise surprise...they said "apply and see what happens".
$$
.U

Okay this feels like an extremely stupid question....

On the transcript verification form it says "former name used when last enrolled in the institution" and it's a required item. It also auto-filled in my "Current Legal Name".

Am I supposed to just rewrite my name?

Thank you for your help|!!

Another question though...
Physics at my school is only 3 credits...
Even though the course has a lecture and a lab component, it is still 3 credits.
I just finished talking to my Advisor and she said that it doesn't indicate on the transcript that the course has a lab component as well.

I was wondering that how do then the schools come to know if there's a lab with a course or not?

Thanks!

If they care, they will ask you. I just had one school that needed me to send course descriptions. Don't worry about it currently.

perfect place for my question...

Does it matter if I don't waive my rights regarding LOE (so that I can read the letters?)
Does this come off as being insecure? I am kind of curious about what the profs would say so...

Does it matter if I don't waive my rights regarding LOE (so that I can read the letters?)
Does this come off as being insecure? I am kind of curious about what the profs would say so...

waive your right...seriously. Then possibly ask the professor if they'll still show you.

So there is no leniency for pre-reqs ever?
You mean you wanna totally skip a pre-req all together? Well, according to schools rules (and its usually stipulated in the acceptance letter), you will not be allowed to matriculate.

However, I have heard of 1 instance from 1 dental school, where 1 applicant couldn't get the last pre-req complete.... They allowed him to matriculate but told him, 4 years later, they woun't grant him his DDS until he went back to undergrad and finished the pre-req..... I dunno how much truth there is behind it

Nobody knows. I imagine some schools won't care, and others will probably not put any emphasis on that particular LOR.

It's just common practice to not view them. Hopefully you trust that they wrote something positive. If you are that curious then ask if you can see it.

for Honors/Awards...

is it okay to put down like..deans list. or those honor societys like sigma alpha bi, phi beta kappa, psi chi, etc etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just making sure in case I e-submit without everything in order...

Wasn't there supposed to be a place to put my supervisor's contact information (phone #/e-mail) for volunteer and work experience?

For the section that asks about whether my education was interrupted/affected adversely, would it be appropriate to talk about a family member's health-related problems? I wasn't going to mention it but it seems that people use this section to also talk about grandparents who have passed away. The illness did affect my education one particular year but I never missed school because of it. It was more like I was distracted by it and spent a lot of time at home during the weekends because of it.
How in detail do they want it?
I feel bad going on and on about it because it makes it seem like a pity story but I don't want to leave it vague either.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

For the section that asks about whether my education was interrupted/affected adversely, would it be appropriate to talk about a family member's health-related problems? I wasn't going to mention it but it seems that people use this section to also talk about grandparents who have passed away. The illness did affect my education one particular year but I never missed school because of it. It was more like I was distracted by it and spent a lot of time at home during the weekends because of it.
How in detail do they want it?
I feel bad going on and on about it because it makes it seem like a pity story but I don't want to leave it vague either.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't do it.... You never want them to think there is an event that could (potentially) affect your future performance in dental school

Obviously, Im sure whatever happened to you was dramatic, I just dont' think its a good idea to draw attention to these things.... This is just my opinion and its not based on any evidence.

I personally wouldn't do it.... You never want them to think there is an event that could (potentially) affect your future performance in dental school

Obviously, Im sure whatever happened to you was dramatic, I just dont' think its a good idea to draw attention to these things.... This is just my opinion and its not based on any evidence.

Hmm I never thought of it this way. I guess if they bring up my year of bad grades at an interview, I could explain the situation...Thanks!

I was planning on submitting a committee letter for the LORs. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to have my science professors write letter and send it to the committee. I haven't submitted my application or anything but is it necessary to have LOR from science professors if I am doing a comittee letter?

i need 1 more class at a community college to officially get my bachelors, but i don't know when i'm going to take it. do i have to put it down as a planned course before i esubmit?

i need to send my community college transcript for that one class i took in junior year of high school right. also it counts towards your gpa (unfortunately) if i recall

i need 1 more class at a community college to officially get my bachelors, but i don't know when i'm going to take it. do i have to put it down as a planned course before i esubmit?

no

I was planning on submitting a committee letter for the LORs. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to have my science professors write letter and send it to the committee. I haven't submitted my application or anything but is it necessary to have LOR from science professors if I am doing a comittee letter?
bump?

I started a thread without seeing this one (although in my defense I did at least try using the search function) anyways onto my question...

Only two of my requested four LoEs have been submitted. My DAT scores from August of 2010 have not shown up on my AADSAS application yet (not until June 23rd?). I filled out and submitted the paperwork at my college for my official transcripts, but they haven't showed up yet.

Since none of those things are showing on my AADSAS application, yet, should I wait until they are up on my application before I submit it?

I started a thread without seeing this one (although in my defense I did at least try using the search function) anyways onto my question...

Only two of my requested four LoEs have been submitted. My DAT scores from August of 2010 have not shown up on my AADSAS application yet (not until June 23rd?). I filled out and submitted the paperwork at my college for my official transcripts, but they haven't showed up yet.

Since none of those things are showing on my AADSAS application, yet, should I wait until they are up on my application before I submit it?

I wouldn't worry about the transcript/DAT scores. I don't think you need to worry about LORs, but all of mine were in when I submitted, so I can't be for certain. I would just go ahead and submit though.

I wouldn't worry about the transcript/DAT scores. I don't think you need to worry about LORs, but all of mine were in when I submitted, so I can't be for certain. I would just go ahead and submit though.

After talking to those two people I should have my LORs by Wed at the latest, so I'll submit everything then!

Thank you! :thumbup:

hi there.

In general, how much work do secondary applications involve? I assume it would be much more specific than the primary application but I ask this because I'm planning on applying to 16 schools.

I think I heard from someone that Columbia does not have more writing portions in the secondary (besides the fee). So I wanted to know if there are any more schools like this as well..

thank you for your help

hi there.

In general, how much work do secondary applications involve? I assume it would be much more specific than the primary application but I ask this because I'm planning on applying to 16 schools.

I think I heard from someone that Columbia does not have more writing portions in the secondary (besides the fee). So I wanted to know if there are any more schools like this as well..

thank you for your help

Take a look for yourself.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...s/Documents/SupplementalTableCompleteList.pdf

I know it won't help much but is it a bad idea to tell dental schools (in secondaries/interviews, mostly in interviews) that I am exited about applying to their programs and that if accepted, I will surely attend?

In other words, will telling several dental schools (plural) that they're my #1 benefit me in any way? hurt me in any way?

Last edited:
I know it won't help much but is it a bad idea to tell dental schools (in secondaries/interviews, mostly in interviews) that I am exited about applying to their programs and that if accepted, I will surely attend?

In other words, will telling several dental schools (plural) that they're my #1 benefit me in any way? hurt me in any way?

Yes. Tell them why you want to attend, but don't promise attendance.

I already submitted my app, but just out of curiosity... Does "BIOL 1332 Nutrition" go under Biology or Nutrition course? It's not necessary under a Nutrition major course where nutrition majors have courses with prefix NUTR. It's offered under the Biology department :)

Since it sounds like it's about nutrition, it's nutrition.

bump again?

yes its necessary to have an LOR from a science Professor.

omg, most college requirements I read just say 2 or 3 lors froms science professor or just a committee letter from a pre-health advisor. my advisor didnt ask for any.

omg, most college requirements I read just say 2 or 3 lors froms science professor or just a committee letter from a pre-health advisor. my advisor didnt ask for any.

Well I may be wrong, i am not a 100 percent sure, but I got a committee letter, and I had to send 2 BIO Professor LOR's to the adviser writing the letter, he explained it to me as a letter that he takes parts from all the LOR's and creates one longer LOR. so I WOULD Double check and call a few dental schools this monday.

Well I may be wrong, i am not a 100 percent sure, but I got a committee letter, and I had to send 2 BIO Professor LOR's to the adviser writing the letter, he explained it to me as a letter that he takes parts from all the LOR's and creates one longer LOR. so I WOULD Double check and call a few dental schools this monday.
thnx. omg im so stressed out. i guess i should do that and contact my adviser. appreciate it.

If you have to re-send an electronic LOE request to a professor, do you just delete them and then re-send a request to the same email address? It won't not let you send it again or anything, will it?

To the post above: Yeah it's fine to delete it and re-send it. I did this and it worked out fine...

My quesiton:

With regards to full year courses, do I have to enter them in the "Fall semester" as well.. Or just in the "Winter semester"??

For instance, I had a full year English course and wanted to know whether I input 6.0 in winter semester,,, or do 3.0 Fall and 3.0 winter... There's no pending on AADAS,, so I'm not sure what to do...

I'd really appreciate your help

-Jacob

Quick question: does statistics count towards my sGPA?

I took classes such as Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, General Psychology and General Sociology, etc. while I was completing my 2 years at my community college, will these General Ed classes satisfy most Dental School's General Ed requirements?

Branching off from some other threads...

NOT INCLUDING hotel room/food/transport for possible interviews...

Is it possible to get an average price for applying, per school??

TBH I haven't looked into this at all yet.

Thanks in advance.

Primary apps: 227 for first school, 75 for every subsequent school

Secondary apps: 85 per school

Flights, hotels, food, transportation: couple hundred per school visited

Acceptance and holding spots in schools: 1,000 roughly per school

It adds up quickly!

Primary apps: 227 for first school, 75 for every subsequent school

Secondary apps: 85 per school

Flights, hotels, food, transportation: couple hundred per school visited

Acceptance and holding spots in schools: 1,000 roughly per school

It adds up quickly!

What all is included in that 1k?