Successful Applicant Stats of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emiloo4

UF CVM 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know the drill (if not, here's last year's) http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=880261
Big congrats for those getting to post here. It's an awesome feeling and a huge accomplishment!
Go go go!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump.

I saw people posting in official acceptances (UF, Oregon, Ross, etc) so I'm looking forward to reading some stats! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You know the drill (if not, here's last year's) http://mobile.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=880261
Big congrats for those getting to post here. It's an awesome feeling and a huge accomplishment!
Go go go!!! :D
Emiloo, as said on the interview thread, I think you are way ahead of and more excited than the actual applicants themselves this year. There's nothing wrong with that, though! :p I've been meaning to say that since I saw this thread go up, but I never got around to it.

If I get accepted, I'll wait to post here until I hear back from all the schools and have made a decision.

Emiloo, as said on the interview thread, I think you are way ahead of and more excited than the actual applicants themselves this year. There's nothing wrong with that, though! :p I've been meaning to say that since I saw this thread go up, but I never got around to it.

If I get accepted, I'll wait to post here until I hear back from all the schools and have made a decision.

:D
I figured some people may know where they're going already, but I definitely wasn't meaning to rush those who don't. This thread will fill up with more posts than you can even read soon, don't worry everyone. Look at last year's page I linked if y'all are really curious. Usually similar year to year.

A lot of people think its bad juju to post on this thread before they've heard from all the schools they've applied to

haha. It's also nice for future applicants to know how someone fared at each school... but if people want to do it early that's cool too just remember to update when you've heard from all of them :)

This type of thread never fails to incite hope and doubt at the same time in my wacky head :(

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I was accepted at Cornell today and have decided it's my first and last acceptance as it's my IS and dream school. I plan on pulling my applications at Wiscosin, Tufts and Penn so I'm posting now.

STATS:
CUM GPA: 3.8
LAST 45: 4.0
SCIENCE: 4.0
GRE: 164 verbal, 166 quant, essay/writing part 5

Animal Cruelty Investigator (supervisor) +/- 10,000 hrs
LVT in an Emergency Clinic/ICU +/- 2000hrs
LVT Internal Medicine +/- 1000hrs
Equine (NOT clinical) +/- 2000 total between several experiences
Various labs et associated with vet tech school
Ecological Field Research +/- 2500 hours
Various teaching/speaking positions associated with the aforementioned jobs

This represents the major elements of my application, I also had numerous awards et that would be mind numbing to list and read, Any questions, PM me, I'm happy to help!

Awesome stats, vethopeful!! Congrats again!!!

Congrats vethopeful! Your unique perspective as someone with LVT combined with animal cruelty investigator experience will definitely be a huge asset to your class and profession!

Impressive stats vethopeful. Thank goodness i read it after I applied and got good news..because If i read it way before application I would be so intimidated by your credentials and be so insecure with my accomplishments and be so nerve wracking annoying to my boyfriend as i worry and fret over my chances. LOL!!!!

Seriously though, I think you would be an asset to the profession and congratulate you for being accepted to your dream school which is an awesome school!

Kudos

Members don't see this ad :)
Impressive stats vethopeful. Thank goodness i read it after I applied and got good news..because If i read it way before application I would be so intimidated by your credentials and be so insecure with my accomplishments and be so nerve wracking annoying to my boyfriend as i worry and fret over my chances. LOL!!!!

Seriously though, I think you would be an asset to the profession and congratulate you for being accepted to your dream school which is an awesome school!

Kudos

Geez, I'm old that's the only reason I've done so much lol. I'm sure your app is very impressive. Are you definately going to Cornell?

I'll be brave and hopefully get some more people to start posting here!

First time applicant, 22 years old, Female, NY resident.
Applied: Cornell, Penn, CSU, Ohio State, Iowa State, Minnesota, Tufts, Missouri, Dublin and Tennessee
Interviews: Ohio State, Iowa State (declined), Minnesota (declined), Penn (declined)
Apps withdrawn: Tennessee, Tufts
Rejected: Missouri
Waitlisted: CSU
Accepted: Cornell, Ohio State, Dublin
Attending: CORNELL :)

Degrees: BE in Biomedical Engineering, ME in Engineering Management
Overall GPA: 3.47
Last 45: 3.74
Science Pre Req: 3.28 (as calculated by Iowa State)
GRE: Verbal:164, Quantitative: 163, Writing: 5.0

The Highlights:
-Scholars program
-DIII Varsity athlete, captain my jr and sr year
-Very active in my sorority and president of PanHellenic (inter-sorority) Council
-Co-founder of my schools pre-veterinary club
-Worked at the central park zoo one summer
-Worked on a pre-clinical trial with a research vet at a hospital
-Currently working for a year at UPenn's Swine Unit
-Went to NM for the SGPDC where I learned a bunch about dairy science for 6 wks
-Worked 350 hrs in a tissue engineering lab

Last edited:
Geez, I'm old that's the only reason I've done so much lol. I'm sure your app is very impressive. Are you definately going to Cornell?

HI there!

I am a nontraditional too..now old is subjective but im no spring chicken myself! Worked in corporate for 10 years; non vet related.

I did not get in Cornell but was accepted to Colorado State and have pending interviews.

First time applicant, 25 years old, Female, NY resident
Applied: Cornell, University of Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, Murdoch University, St. George’s
Interviews: None
Still waiting: St. George’s, Glasgow (pretty sure rejected here too)
Rejected: Murdoch, RVC, Cornell
Waitlisted: None
Accepted: University of Edinburgh

Degrees: BA in Anthropology/ Psychology, minors in Animal Behavior/ Zoo Biology (2009): Canisius College. BS in Biological Sciences (2013): University at Buffalo
Original undergrad GPA: 3.56 from Canisius in 2009
Overall it’s closer to 3.2...
Science GPA – under 3.0
GRE: verbal 159, quantitative 149.

Experience Hours:
1000+ University research (primate/croc) at Canisius 2007-2009
1440+ hrs Fulbright primate research in Sri Lanka 2009-2010
131.25 hours at small animal vet office (Nov/Dec 2010)
1200+ hours at small animal vet office (2011)
300+ hrs Biomedical Research Assistant at University at Buffalo
200 hrs Buffalo Zoo intern
40 hours SPCA service
Working on large animal experience by volunteering at Spruce Meadow Farm

Clubs and Experience:
Outside school: Fulbright Award Winner: Researched primates and worked along veterinarians at Perideniya vet school in Kandy, Sri Lanka, foster parent for SPCA, research for Buffalo Zoo, tutored elementary student foreign refugees in English. Fulbright Research Award to Sri Lanka (2009-2010)
College: Service trip to El Salvador, Canisius zoological trip to California, research film crew in British Columbia, zoo biology trip to PA, OH, MI, ornithology in FL, Psi chi psychology honor society, FUSION gaming club, Little Theater, Canisius Zoological Society, Canisius tour guide. At UB – Outdoor Adventure Club, Skydiving Club (2011/2012)

---- Overall Edinburgh was my first choice. I applied to all international schools beside my IS because if it’s that same amount of debt – I’d rather be somewhere amazing!! I am amazed that I got in. Moral of the story – it only takes one yes!

Applied: Cornell, University of Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, Murdoch University, St. George's
Still waiting: St. George's, Glasgow (pretty sure rejected here too)

Degrees: BA in Anthropology/ Psychology, minors in Animal Behavior/ Zoo Biology (2009): Canisius College. BS in Biological Sciences (2013): University at Buffalo
Overall it's closer to 3.2...
Science GPA – under 3.0

Experience Hours:
40 hours SPCA service

Clubs and Experience:
Outside school: Fulbright Award Winner: Researched primates and worked along veterinarians at Perideniya vet school in Kandy, Sri Lanka, foster parent for SPCA, research for Buffalo Zoo, tutored elementary student foreign refugees in English. Fulbright Research Award to Sri Lanka (2009-2010)
College: Service trip to El Salvador, Canisius zoological trip to California, research film crew in British Columbia, zoo biology trip to PA, OH, MI, ornithology in FL, Psi chi psychology honor society, FUSION gaming club, Little Theater, Canisius Zoological Society, Canisius tour guide. At UB – Outdoor Adventure Club, Skydiving Club (2011/2012)

---- Overall Edinburgh was my first choice. I applied to all international schools beside my IS because if it's that same amount of debt – I'd rather be somewhere amazing!! I am amazed that I got in. Moral of the story – it only takes one yes!

Congratulations :) this kind of makes me wish I would have applied to international schools :(

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

1st time non-trad applicant. 27 years old. NYC resident.

Schools:
Applied:
Cornell (IS), Tufts, UPenn, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, VMRCVM
Interview Invites: Minnesota (declined)
Accepted: Cornell
Applications withdrawn: Tufts, UPenn, Wisconsin, Ohio, VMRCVM
Attending: Cornell!!!

Academics:
6 credits short of a BA in History
Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Last 45: 3.76
GRE: 164 V (93%), 154 Q (60%), 5.0 W (92%)

Vet Experience (hrs @ time of app):
220 hours: small animal (paid vet tech/assistant)
16 hours: equine (shadowing)
19 hours: large animal (shadowing)
40 hours: mixed (Tufts AVM)

Animal Experience:
70 hours: Kennel attendant
260 hours: Cat shelter and fostering
180 hours: Pet-sitting
1400+ hours: Pet ownership (did not include on VMCAS but did add for Wisconsin)

Letters of Rec:
1 from former boss (JD)
1 from Orgo lab instructor (PhD)
1 committee letter from Pre-Health Advisor (PhD)
1 from Practice owner of SA clinic (DVM)

Employment/Other stuff:
I've worked fulltime at a corporate job (non-vet med field) the entire time I did my pre-req's. I went to school at night and worked/volunteered on the weekends.
Pre-vet chair of Post-Bac Club
Active in TNR in my Brooklyn neighborhood
Former dancer (ballet)
Transferred twice
Planned my entire wedding in 5 months while working and taking organic chem :)
Various other awards/scholarships/dean's list type stuff

I didn't think I would get in anywhere this year due to my lower than average experience hours. I also live in an urban area so finding LA/equine hours was tough. I made a big point in my personal statement to discuss working full-time + school + volunteering/working for experience on the weekends as well as my "life experiences" and what I can bring to the table as an older/more mature applicant. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats felinelvr!!!! Your situation actually sounds similar to mine but I'm a few years behind you :)

Applied: Cornell, University of Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, Murdoch University, St. George’s
Still waiting: St. George’s, Glasgow (pretty sure rejected here too)

Overall it’s closer to 3.2...
Science GPA – under 3.0

Experience Hours:
40 hours SPCA service

Clubs and Experience:

---- Overall Edinburgh was my first choice. I applied to all international schools beside my IS because if it’s that same amount of debt – I’d rather be somewhere amazing!! I am amazed that I got in. Moral of the story – it only takes one yes!

Way to go! I have stats similar to yours, it's encouraging to see that you got in :) I've been thinking about the international schools, but I'm not sure I want to take that jump and live in another country. It sure does sound exciting though! Best of luck!

Congrats felinelvr!!!! Your situation actually sounds similar to mine but I'm a few years behind you :)

Thank you! Good luck with the rest of your pre-req's... I'm sure I'm not the first to say this but don't give up! It can get really frustrating dealing with immature classmates, crappy school administration, stress-filled registration to get into those evening classes, etc. but in the end it IS worth it :D

OK, I am a little nervous/ embarrassed to post this, but hopefully it will help some people in the future…:oops:

Second time applicant, 30 years old, Female, Colorado resident, non-trad student.
Applied: Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Minnesota
Apps withdrawn: Kansas, Minnesota, Oklahoma
Rejections: Iowa, Oklahoma ( they say I got less then a C in a required course- clearly they didnt look at my transcripts correctly, but no reason to argue since I withdrew my app, anyway)
Still waiting: none
Interview: Kansas, Minnesota
Accepted: CSU Class of 2017!!!

Cum GPA @ time of application: 2.95
Last 45 credit hrs: 4.0 (undergrad and graduate work)
Science GPA @ time of application: 2.52 (as calculated by Iowa)
B.S. Psychology (2005) GPA: 2.72 (2.44 without repeat/delete)
Misc undergrad classes between degrees GPA: 3.9
M.S. Toxicology (2013) GPA: 4.0
GRE: first time: 450V, 510Q, 4.0A. 2nd time: 410V, 600Q, 4.0A. 3rd time: 158V, 154Q, 4.5A
Veterinary Experience:
- Small animal general practice (including exotics and wild life): 2700 hrs
- Small animal Emergency practice: 1000 hrs
- Small animal acupuncture: 20 hrs
- Small animal specialty surgeries and exotics/pocket pets: 70 hrs
- Large animal -horses: 75 hrs
- Total vet experience: about 3900 hrs

Animal Experience:
- Training deaf dogs, service dogs, people's personal pets, and rehab & training of aggressive/fearful shelter dogs: 3500 hrs
- Dog show competition (conformation and obedience) and canine 4-H: 900 hrs
- Fostering animals for rescue: 3200 hrs
- Volunteer at Parrot Sanctuary: 200 hrs
- Observing geese behavior for research: 50 hrs
- Fancy Rat (for pets and showing) breeding business: 2000 hrs
- Assistant manager for specialty department at Petsmart: 2750 hrs
- Pet food Sales rep: 550 hrs
- Dog grooming: 275 hrs
- Working on a farm with inner city kids: 500
- Stable maintenance/ barn manager/ Horseback riding Instructor: 4000 hrs
- Pony Club: 3000 hrs
- Competitive Horseback riding: 13,500 hrs
- Total animal experience: about 35,000 hrs

Other Employment:
- Own/ operate a small business
- Real estate agent
- Office manager at alternative medical practice (for humans)

Honors:
- Multiple awards as top producing Realtor
- Multiple awards in Horseback riding
- High school honors
- Presidents list in college

Community activities:
- Tutor (stats, algebra, chemistry)
- Officer in numerous clubs and organizations (academic and community based)
- Founder of Rocky Mountain Fancy Rat Association
- Giving pet care educational seminars
- High school sports and activities

eLORS:
- 2 vets I have worked with
- A contractor/vendor I work with in my business
- Owner of the alternative health practice I worked for

When you look at my GPA, I am sure the first thing that comes to mind is how the heck did she get in? I know I do the same thing. For those of you that stress over a bad semester, I had a whole undergraduate degree full of bad semesters. My GPA ranged from a 0.9 to a 3.25 during my undergrad and did not have an upward trend (or any trend for that matter). I received multiple D's and F's (some were even in pre-reqs).
I think my story may be a little unique because I suffered a traumatic brain injury, my freshman year of college. I was told I would likely never recover but I kept working at it and doing my best to get through college (something else I was told I probably wouldn't accomplish with my injury- this is the biggest reason my initial GPA was so low). I hope my story can prove that your life is what you make of it and never let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough to achieve your dreams. Some people just have to work a little harder than others and I was one of them.

Personal Statement:
I think my second PS was better than the 1st. In my first I discussed what I learned about vet med by working in clinics. It wasn't terribly personal and was a poor attempt at showing that I understood vet med wasn't just about petting puppies.
In my second (which I rewrote 59 times), I discussed my academic and extracurricular interests and my vision for the future of veterinary medicine. I also talked about where I see me fitting into the veterinary community and my desire to pursue a post-doc in a specialty.
I think my largest struggle with the PS was getting too technical and trying to write what I thought they wanted to see. I also listened to EVERY criticism, from the kind people who agreed to read it, and eventually I ended up with a product that was not me. The week before the app deadline I felt terrible about my PS, so I just wrote what was in my heart. I made several "cliché mistakes" that we are warned against, but I really expressed who I was. Ultimately, I am happy with what I wrote and apparently the app committee was OK with it, too.

The biggest changes I made from my 1st application to the second were:
1. Getting more upper division science credits and maintaining a good GPA (some undergrad and then I started a Masters program).
- Between applications I took 46 credits and maintained a 4.0 GPA
2. Sheri Stewart told me that my first application looked like it was shy on community service. It actually wasn't, but I think it may have been the way I listed my experience. For my second app I split up my community service activities. So for example, when I worked on a farm with inner city kids:
- Under animal experience I wrote about the activities related only to the animals
- Then under community service I wrote about working with the kids.
3. I added more activities I had forgotten on the first app. I actually forgot several items the 1st time.
4. For my explanation statement, I wrote a paragraph (instead of listing things by semester) giving just a brief overview of why my undergrad GPA was low. I had so much happen to me, during that time, and it looked like a list of excuses. So I took the approach of saying, "this part of my life sucked due to... And then followed it up with saying, but look at what a different student I have become and now I have this GPA and these skills, etc…"

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone so exciting :love: !!!

Make sure you post your decisions in the decision thread !!

Wow Maschka, that's definitely inspiring! Congrats, and best of luck to you, your gonna be an awesome vet!

Congratulations Mashka!!! Your story is truly inspiring--you'll be awesome at CSU!!

OK, I am a little nervous/ embarrassed to post this, but hopefully it will help some people in the future…:oops:

Second time applicant, 30 years old, Female, Colorado resident, non-trad student.
Rejections: Iowa
Still waiting: Oklahoma

GRE: first time: 450V, 510Q, 4.0A. 2nd time: 410V, 600Q, 4.0A. 3rd time: 158V, 154Q, 4.5A
Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:
- Training deaf dogs, service dogs, people’s personal pets, and rehab & training of aggressive/fearful shelter dogs: 3500 hrs

Other Employment:
- Real estate agent

Honors:
- High school honors

Community activities:

eLORS:

When you look at my GPA, I am sure the first thing that comes to mind is how the heck did she get in? I know I do the same thing. For those of you that stress over a bad semester, I had a whole undergraduate degree full of bad semesters. My GPA ranged from a 0.9 to a 3.25 during my undergrad and did not have an upward trend (or any trend for that matter). I received multiple D’s and F’s (some were even in pre-reqs).
I think my story may be a little unique because I suffered a traumatic brain injury, my freshman year of college. I was told I would likely never recover but I kept working at it and doing my best to get through college (something else I was told I probably wouldn’t accomplish with my injury- this is the biggest reason my initial GPA was so low). I hope my story can prove that your life is what you make of it and never let anyone tell you that you aren’t good enough to achieve your dreams. Some people just have to work a little harder than others and I was one of them.

Personal Statement:
I think my second PS was better than the 1st. In my first I discussed what I learned about vet med by working in clinics. It wasn’t terribly personal and was a poor attempt at showing that I understood vet med wasn’t just about petting puppies.
In my second (which I rewrote 59 times), I discussed my academic and extracurricular interests and my vision for the future of veterinary medicine. I also talked about where I see me fitting into the veterinary community and my desire to pursue a post-doc in a specialty.
I think my largest struggle with the PS was getting too technical and trying to write what I thought they wanted to see. I also listened to EVERY criticism, from the kind people who agreed to read it, and eventually I ended up with a product that was not me. The week before the app deadline I felt terrible about my PS, so I just wrote what was in my heart. I made several “cliché mistakes” that we are warned against, but I really expressed who I was. Ultimately, I am happy with what I wrote and apparently the app committee was OK with it, too.

1. Getting more upper division science credits and maintaining a good GPA (some undergrad and then I started a Masters program).
2. Sheri Stewart told me that my first application looked like it was shy on community service. It actually wasn’t, but I think it may have been the way I listed my experience. For my second app I split up my community service activities. So for example, when I worked on a farm with inner city kids:
- Under animal experience I wrote about the activities related only to the animals
3. I added more activities I had forgotten on the first app. I actually forgot several items the 1st time.
4. For my explanation statement, I wrote a paragraph (instead of listing things by semester) giving just a brief overview of why my undergrad GPA was low. I had so much happen to me, during that time, and it looked like a list of excuses. So I took the approach of saying, “this part of my life sucked due to... And then followed it up with saying, but look at what a different student I have become and now I have this GPA and these skills, etc…”

Maschka1, you are such an inspiration! Congrats!

Veterinary Experience:
-Small animal general practice (including exotics and wild life): 2700 hrs
-Small animal Emergency practice: 1000 hrs
-Small animal acupuncture: 20 hrs
-Small animal specialty surgeries and exotics/pocket pets: 70 hrs
-Large animal -horses: 75 hrs
-Total vet experience: about 3900 hrs

Animal Experience:
-Training deaf dogs, service dogs, people's personal pets, and rehab & training of aggressive/fearful shelter dogs: 3500 hrs
-Dog show competition (conformation and obedience) and canine 4-H: 900 hrs
-Fostering animals for rescue: 3200 hrs
-Volunteer at Parrot Sanctuary: 200 hrs
-Observing geese behavior for research: 50 hrs
-Fancy Rat (for pets and showing) breeding business: 2000 hrs
-Assistant manager for specialty department at Petsmart: 2750 hrs
-Pet food Sales rep: 550 hrs
-Dog grooming: 275 hrs
-Working on a farm with inner city kids: 500
-Stable maintenance/ barn manager/ Horseback riding Instructor: 4000 hrs
-Pony Club: 3000 hrs
-Competitive Horseback riding: 13,500 hrs
-Total animal experience: about 35,000 hrs

Other Employment:
-Own/ operate a small business
-Real estate agent
-Office manager at alternative medical practice (for humans)

Honors:
-Multiple awards as top producing Realtor
-Multiple awards in Horseback riding
-High school honors
-Presidents list in college

Community activities:
-Tutor (stats, algebra, chemistry)
-Officer in numerous clubs and organizations (academic and community based)
-Founder of Rocky Mountain Fancy Rat Association
-Giving pet care educational seminars
-High school sports and activities

eLORS:
-2 vets I have worked with
-A contractor/vendor I work with in my business
-Owner of the alternative health practice I worked for

When you look at my GPA, I am sure the first thing that comes to mind is how the heck did she get in? I know I do the same thing. For those of you that stress over a bad semester, I had a whole undergraduate degree full of bad semesters. My GPA ranged from a 0.9 to a 3.25 during my undergrad and did not have an upward trend (or any trend for that matter). I received multiple D's and F's (some were even in pre-reqs).
I think my story may be a little unique because I suffered a traumatic brain injury, my freshman year of college. I was told I would likely never recover but I kept working at it and doing my best to get through college (something else I was told I probably wouldn't accomplish with my injury- this is the biggest reason my initial GPA was so low). I hope my story can prove that your life is what you make of it and never let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough to achieve your dreams. Some people just have to work a little harder than others and I was one of them.

Personal Statement:
I think my second PS was better than the 1st. In my first I discussed what I learned about vet med by working in clinics. It wasn't terribly personal and was a poor attempt at showing that I understood vet med wasn't just about petting puppies.
I think my largest struggle with the PS was getting too technical and trying to write what I thought they wanted to see. I also listened to EVERY criticism, from the kind people who agreed to read it, and eventually I ended up with a product that was not me. The week before the app deadline I felt terrible about my PS, so I just wrote what was in my heart. I made several "cliché mistakes" that we are warned against, but I really expressed who I was. Ultimately, I am happy with what I wrote and apparently the app committee was OK with it, too.

-Between applications I took 46 credits and maintained a 4.0 GPA
2. Sheri Stewart told me that my first application looked like it was shy on community service. It actually wasn't, but I think it may have been the way I listed my experience. For my second app I split up my community service activities. So for example, when I worked on a farm with inner city kids:
-Under animal experience I wrote about the activities related only to the animals
-Then under community service I wrote about working with the kids.
4. For my explanation statement, I wrote a paragraph (instead of listing things by semester) giving just a brief overview of why my undergrad GPA was low. I had so much happen to me, during that time, and it looked like a list of excuses. So I took the approach of saying, "this part of my life sucked due to... And then followed it up with saying, but look at what a different student I have become and now I have this GPA and these skills, etc…"

You have nothing to be embarrassed about! Your hard work and determination is inspiring. Congrats and thank you for sharing :)

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:
- Training deaf dogs, service dogs, people’s personal pets, and rehab & training of aggressive/fearful shelter dogs: 3500 hrs

Other Employment:
- Real estate agent

Honors:
- High school honors

Community activities:

eLORS:

When you look at my GPA, I am sure the first thing that comes to mind is how the heck did she get in? I know I do the same thing. For those of you that stress over a bad semester, I had a whole undergraduate degree full of bad semesters. My GPA ranged from a 0.9 to a 3.25 during my undergrad and did not have an upward trend (or any trend for that matter). I received multiple D’s and F’s (some were even in pre-reqs).
I think my story may be a little unique because I suffered a traumatic brain injury, my freshman year of college. I was told I would likely never recover but I kept working at it and doing my best to get through college (something else I was told I probably wouldn’t accomplish with my injury- this is the biggest reason my initial GPA was so low). I hope my story can prove that your life is what you make of it and never let anyone tell you that you aren’t good enough to achieve your dreams. Some people just have to work a little harder than others and I was one of them.

Personal Statement:
I think my second PS was better than the 1st. In my first I discussed what I learned about vet med by working in clinics. It wasn’t terribly personal and was a poor attempt at showing that I understood vet med wasn’t just about petting puppies.
I think my largest struggle with the PS was getting too technical and trying to write what I thought they wanted to see. I also listened to EVERY criticism, from the kind people who agreed to read it, and eventually I ended up with a product that was not me. The week before the app deadline I felt terrible about my PS, so I just wrote what was in my heart. I made several “cliché mistakes” that we are warned against, but I really expressed who I was. Ultimately, I am happy with what I wrote and apparently the app committee was OK with it, too.

2. Sheri Stewart told me that my first application looked like it was shy on community service. It actually wasn’t, but I think it may have been the way I listed my experience. For my second app I split up my community service activities. So for example, when I worked on a farm with inner city kids:
4. For my explanation statement, I wrote a paragraph (instead of listing things by semester) giving just a brief overview of why my undergrad GPA was low. I had so much happen to me, during that time, and it looked like a list of excuses. So I took the approach of saying, “this part of my life sucked due to... And then followed it up with saying, but look at what a different student I have become and now I have this GPA and these skills, etc…”

Amazing accomplishments! You should be exceedingly proud of you! I am just in awe and only hope that adcoms see something similar in me (also non-trad).

:bow::highfive::claps:

Awe, thanks everyone. Now I am blushing :biglove: This forum helped me so much. In the beginning I really doubted that I would ever end up in vet school but this forum is full of so many helpful and inspirational people that whenever I felt a little hopeless I found just what I needed from you guys! I think everyone has something unique to bring to the profession so dont doubt yourself and if at first you dont succeed, just try again.:claps:

Congratulations Maschka1 !!!!!

It means a lot to see someone who has taken the time to prove to the schools that they are ready :) It gives me some hope! I am also happy for everyone who has had an easier time getting into vet school too!

Hey Mascha, congrats! I appreciate your post! I am in a similar situation with my GPA. I graduated in '09 with degrees in Marine Science and Biology with a 2.7. You're story gives me hope!!! I have several thousand hours of experience, 70th percentile GRE scores, and I've got a 4.0 in my graduate work! With a lot of effort and a little bit of luck I hope to find myself in your shoes in a couple years :D.

Applicant Stats
-First time applicant, female, 32 years old, Texas resident
-Interested in SA medicine, pathology or bovine and large animal production medicine
-Applied – Texas A&M, Western and KSU
-Interviewed – KSU
-Rejected – Texas A&M, Western
-Attending – KSU (first choice)

Academics
-Graduated May 2003 from Liberty University
-BS in Communications Studies with a specialization in Public Relations
-Cumulative GPA 3.20
-Completed prerequisites at University of Texas San Antonio
-Last 45 GPA 3.58
-GRE: V 157 (73%), Q 152 (52%), AW 4.5 (73%)

Honors and Awards
-Dean’s List
-Honor Roll
-Outstanding Senior in Communications

Community Activities
-Tour De Cure 2012 (one year)
-Lynchburg Public Library volunteer (one year)
-Texas Adopt-A-Beach Cleanup (one year)
-Feast of Sharing (four years)

Animal Experience
-Campbell County Humane Society volunteer – 100 hours
-Companion Animal Hospital kennel volunteer – 220 hours
-Shiba Inu Rescue foster parent and transport – 100 hours
-L.H. Animal Hospital kennel technician – 2700 hours

Veterinary Experience
-L.H. Animal Hospital – 100 hours

Other Employment
-Dillard’s – Sales Assistant
-Clery & Co. – Public Relations Liaison
-Loyola Notre Dame Library – Librarian

eLORs
-1 Veterinarian at L.H. Animal Hospital
-1 Histology & Cytology Professor
-1 Shiba Inu Rescue Director
The veterinarian at L.H. Animal Hospital did not submit her letter on time via VMCAS. I was rejected from Western because of this but still accepted into KSU. I am NOT suggesting that anyone blow off the eLORs portion of the application. I consider myself extremely lucky that the other portions of my application made up for the oversight.

Personal Statement
I only had one person proofread my personal statement – the man I’m meant to spend the rest of my life with. It began by describing the respect my father instilled in me for all living things. As a physician he described to us the art of healing and I decided apply that to my love of animals. The statement continued with a chronological series of events that I felt were my lowest points. My first year of undergrad I was diagnosed with depression and my GPA took a nosedive before resting at 1.8. A change of schools and personal reflection helped get me back on my feet. Four years after graduating with a Communications degree I got it in my head to become a DVM and fulfill a lifelong dream. Fast-forward nearly a decade and many, many late night study sessions and you’ll find me here.

The moment I found out I was accepted into KSU was the second happiest day of my life. It represented a culmination of years of hard work punctuated by tears, frustrations and even joy. The day I opened my letter I wanted to shout it from the rooftops that I had made it, that my cohorts and I were being selected and recognized because of our achievements. And nothing and no one, not naysayers nor detractors, not a poor background nor the color of our skin, not our financial circumstances nor our previous mistakes will ever hold us back from the doctors we will be one day.

Congrats Shibamom! Your post is very inspiring!

Applicant Stats
-First time applicant, female, 32 years old, Texas resident
-Interested in SA medicine, pathology or bovine and large animal production medicine
-Applied – Texas A&M, Western and KSU
-Interviewed – KSU
-Rejected – Texas A&M, Western
-Attending – KSU (first choice)

Academics
-Graduated May 2003 from Liberty University
-BS in Communications Studies with a specialization in Public Relations
-Cumulative GPA 3.20
-Completed prerequisites at University of Texas San Antonio
-Last 45 GPA 3.58
-GRE: V 157 (73%), Q 152 (52%), AW 4.5 (73%)

Honors and Awards
-Dean’s List
-Honor Roll
-Outstanding Senior in Communications

Community Activities
-Tour De Cure 2012 (one year)
-Lynchburg Public Library volunteer (one year)
-Texas Adopt-A-Beach Cleanup (one year)
-Feast of Sharing (four years)

Animal Experience
-Campbell County Humane Society volunteer – 100 hours
-Companion Animal Hospital kennel volunteer – 220 hours
-Shiba Inu Rescue foster parent and transport – 100 hours
-L.H. Animal Hospital kennel technician – 2700 hours

Veterinary Experience
-L.H. Animal Hospital – 100 hours

Other Employment
-Dillard’s – Sales Assistant
-Clery & Co. – Public Relations Liaison
-Loyola Notre Dame Library – Librarian

eLORs
-1 Veterinarian at L.H. Animal Hospital
-1 Histology & Cytology Professor
-1 Shiba Inu Rescue Director
The veterinarian at L.H. Animal Hospital did not submit her letter on time via VMCAS. I was rejected from Western because of this but still accepted into KSU. I am NOT suggesting that anyone blow off the eLORs portion of the application. I consider myself extremely lucky that the other portions of my application made up for the oversight.

Personal Statement
I only had one person proofread my personal statement – the man I’m meant to spend the rest of my life with. It began by describing the respect my father instilled in me for all living things. As a physician he described to us the art of healing and I decided apply that to my love of animals. The statement continued with a chronological series of events that I felt were my lowest points. My first year of undergrad I was diagnosed with depression and my GPA took a nosedive before resting at 1.8. A change of schools and personal reflection helped get me back on my feet. Four years after graduating with a Communications degree I got it in my head to become a DVM and fulfill a lifelong dream. Fast-forward nearly a decade and many, many late night study sessions and you’ll find me here.

The moment I found out I was accepted into KSU was the second happiest day of my life. It represented a culmination of years of hard work punctuated by tears, frustrations and even joy. The day I opened my letter I wanted to shout it from the rooftops that I had made it, that my cohorts and I were being selected and recognized because of our achievements. And nothing and no one, not naysayers nor detractors, not a poor background nor the color of our skin, not our financial circumstances nor our previous mistakes will ever hold us back from the doctors we will be one day.

Congrats! That sounds like a beautiful PS:) You should be very proud of yourself! :highfive::claps:

Thank you for your kind words. I just want everyone who is an aspiring veterinary student to know that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. My dirty little secret is that I withdrew from 11 courses throughout my academic career, and six of those times was for Chem I. Yes, six! :eek: Someone said that it may take you hitting rock bottom before you're spurred into action, and this was very true for me. Lots of times I fretted because of my GPA and lack of veterinary experience, but I stayed true to myself and didn't apologize for my past.

Just stay calm and you'll get through it. Just stay cool and you'll finish anything, The only thing that matters is that you never quit.

Good luck everyone, and I can't wait to learn more about the incoming classes!! (Especially KSU :love: )

Thank you for your kind words. I just want everyone who is an aspiring veterinary student to know that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. My dirty little secret is that I withdrew from 11 courses throughout my academic career, and six of those times was for Chem I. Yes, six! :eek: Someone said that it may take you hitting rock bottom before you're spurred into action, and this was very true for me. Lots of times I fretted because of my GPA and lack of veterinary experience, but I stayed true to myself and didn't apologize for my past.

Just stay calm and you'll get through it. Just stay cool and you'll finish anything, The only thing that matters is that you never quit.

Good luck everyone, and I can't wait to learn more about the incoming classes!! (Especially KSU :love: )

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Such a great story, ShibaMom. It gives me hope. :)

I can't believe I'm finally posting here!!

Applicant Stats
- First time applicant, female, 23 years old, Tennessee resident
- Interested in SA medicine, possibly mixed practice, or specialty
- Applied – Mizzou & Tennessee
- Interviewed – Mizzou
- Rejected – None
- Application Withdrawn- Tennessee
- Attending – :love: MIZZOU :love:

Academics
- Graduated December 2012
- BS in Agriculture- Animal Science with a Minor in Chemistry
- Magna Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA- 3.78
- Last 45 GPA- 3.81
- GRE: V- 153 Q- 151 A- 3.5 <--- epic fail!! :eek:

Honors and Awards
- Golden Key Executive Board Scholarship
- Melvin N. Johnson Scholarship
- Deans list 9/9 semesters
- Textbook Scholarship
- All-American Scholar Athlete- NCAA DIV. I Softball
- TLSAMP Scholarship
- Tennessee Hope Scholarship
- Building Bridges Scholarship
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2008- Softball
- MTSCA Senior All-Star- Softball
- Published Author- Poem
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2007- Softball
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2006- Softball
- Coaches Award- 2005- Volleyball

Community Activities
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society- Executive Board- Recording Secretary
- University Honors Program
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- TLSAMP Student Mentor
- Guest Speaker- at local fair -about the importance of dog obedience training
- Guest Speaker- at middle school - about how to maintain an in class fish tank
- Habitat for Humanity
- TSU Women's Softball Team
- McGavock H.S. Softball Team
- McGavock H.S. Volleyball Team
- Student Council Class Rep.

Veterinary Experience
- 3500hrs - Corporate SA practice- Vet Assistant
- 650hrs - SA Private Practice- Vet Assistant
- 500hrs - Research- Housekeeping Genes in Chickens & Guinea Fowl

Animal Experience
- 20hrs- Volunteer- Equine
- 100hrs- In home Pet Sitter
- 250hrs- Volunteer Foster Mom- Great Dane Rescue
- 1160 hrs- Dog Trainer- PetsMart
- 1120hrs- Pet Care Lead- PetsMart
- 2760hrs- Pet Care Associate- PetsMart
- 600hrs- Customer Service- PetsMart

eLORs
- Vet at corporate SA practice
- Animal Science professor/ Pre-Vet Advisor
- Former Boss- PetsMart Store Manager

Personal Statement
I worked on my PS for months. I went to my Universitiy's writing lab multiple time a week to have people proofread/ edit it.. I think it turned out pretty good :D

- My opening paragraph was a narrative about me at the age of 15 witnessing my first OVH and how I literally passed out which sparked my love for vet med..
- I then discussed briefly my journey in vet med/ animal experience- SA private practice--> PetsMart--> climbing the corporate ladder in PetsMart through several positions over the course of 4 years--> arriving at my current position in a Corporate SA practice..
- Discussed my involvement in the community that my leadership roles at PetsMart gave me and what I learned from them.
- Discussed my volunteer work with a Great Dane rescue.. talked about the horrible things I've seen from BYB situations and how it motivates me to become a Vet
- Discussed a certain case that struck a cord with me in my current job
- I closed by discussing my future goals/ aspirations

Random Stuff
- I had a couple W's on my transcript
- I had an Incomplete on my transcript for my senior project at the time of submission which I forgot to explain in the explanation statement.. Ooops.. Luckily it turned into an A once I finished my research.
- Although it was expunged from my record years ago, I said yes to the criminal history question.. I explained my now nonexistent- misdemeanor.. I was really on the fence about this.. Because it was expunged I thought that meant it was gone for good, but I didn't want to take any chances so I just explained the circumstances..

:love: Mizzou has been my Dream School for 2 years now.. I'm so pumped to head to Columbia in the fall :love:

Last edited:
So so so excited for you KPow! :biglove::biglove:

I can't believe I'm finally posting here!!

Applicant Stats
- First time applicant, female, 23 years old, Tennessee resident
- Interested in SA medicine, possibly mixed practice, or specialty
- Applied &#8211; Mizzou & Tennessee
- Interviewed &#8211; Mizzou
- Rejected &#8211; None
- Application Withdrawn- Tennessee
- Attending &#8211; :love: MIZZOU :love:

Academics
- Graduated December 2012
- BS in Agriculture- Animal Science with a Minor in Chemistry
- Magna Cum Laude
- Cumulative GPA- 3.78
- Last 45 GPA- 3.81
- GRE: V- 153 Q- 151 A- 3.5 <--- epic fail!! :eek:

Honors and Awards
- Golden Key Executive Board Scholarship
- Melvin N. Johnson Scholarship
- Deans list 9/9 semesters
- Textbook Scholarship
- All-American Scholar Athlete- NCAA DIV. I Softball
- TLSAMP Scholarship
- Tennessee Hope Scholarship
- Building Bridges Scholarship
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2008- Softball
- MTSCA Senior All-Star- Softball
- Published Author- Poem
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2007- Softball
- District 12-AAA All-District- 2006- Softball
- Coaches Award- 2005- Volleyball

Community Activities
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society- Executive Board- Recording Secretary
- University Honors Program
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- TLSAMP Student Mentor
- Guest Speaker- at local fair -about the importance of dog obedience training
- Guest Speaker- at middle school - about how to maintain an in class fish tank
- Habitat for Humanity
- TSU Women's Softball Team
- McGavock H.S. Softball Team
- McGavock H.S. Volleyball Team
- Student Council Class Rep.

Veterinary Experience
- 3500hrs - Corporate SA practice- Vet Assistant
- 650hrs - SA Private Practice- Vet Assistant
- 500hrs - Research- Housekeeping Genes in Chickens & Guinea Fowl

Animal Experience
- 20hrs- Volunteer- Equine
- 100hrs- In home Pet Sitter
- 250hrs- Volunteer Foster Mom- Great Dane Rescue
- 1160 hrs- Dog Trainer- PetsMart
- 1120hrs- Pet Care Lead- PetsMart
- 2760hrs- Pet Care Associate- PetsMart
- 600hrs- Customer Service- PetsMart

eLORs
- Animal Science professor/ Pre-Vet Advisor
- Former Boss- PetsMart Store Manager

Personal Statement
I worked on my PS for months. I went to my Universitiy's writing lab multiple time a week to have people proofread/ edit it.. I think it turned out pretty good :D

- My opening paragraph was a narrative about me at the age of 15 witnessing my first OVH and how I literally passed out which sparked my love for vet med..
- I then discussed briefly my journey in vet med/ animal experience- SA private practice--> PetsMart--> climbing the corporate ladder in PetsMart through several positions over the course of 4 years--> arriving at my current position in a Corporate SA practice..
- Discussed my involvement in the community that my leadership roles at PetsMart gave me and what I learned from them.
- Discussed my volunteer work with a Great Dane rescue.. talked about the horrible things I've seen from BYB situations and how it motivates me to become a Vet
- Discussed a certain case that struck a cord with me in my current job
- I closed by discussing my future goals/ aspirations

Random Stuff
- I had a couple W's on my transcript
- I had an Incomplete on my transcript for my senior project at the time of submission which I forgot to explain in the explanation statement.. Ooops.. Luckily it turned into an A once I finished my research.
- Although it was expunged from my record years ago, I said yes to the criminal history question.. I explained my now nonexistent- misdemeanor.. I was really on the fence about this.. Because it was expunged I thought that meant it was gone for good, but I didn't want to take any chances so I just explained the circumstances..

:love: Mizzou has been my Dream School for 2 years now.. I'm so pumped to head to Columbia in the fall :love:

Everything about you is fantastic. Congratulations! I am very proud to call you my future colleague! :biglove:

Have you been able to tell your fiance yet???????? :eek:

You're a rockstar KP! :claps:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :highfive:

Everything about you is fantastic. Congratulations! I am very proud to call you my future colleague! :biglove:

Have you been able to tell your fiance yet???????? :eek:

Yes he Knows :love: :love: .. Now we are working on getting him stationed in Missouri so I can get in-state tuition!!! Lol (not getting my hopes up, but we have some Army connections up there :D)

You're a rockstar KP! :claps:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :highfive:

Thanks Twin ;) I'm soooo excited!!!!

Congrats to all!

I am not comfortable posting my whole life up here, but I'll do what I can to see if it helps anyone.

Applicant Stats
- 2nd time applicant (only one school first time), female, late 20s, CO resident
- Applied &#8211; CSU, Cornell, Davis, Missouri, Wisconsin, NCSU, Ohio
- Interviewed &#8211; Mizzou and Ohio
- Rejected &#8211; Davis
- Application Withdrawn - none
- Accepted - CSU, Cornell, Mizzou, Ohio, NCSU, and Wisconsin.

Academics
- I have a BA and MA earned in the last ten years. Currently working on a degree in the sciences.
- Cum GPA 3.9
- GRE: V - 170, Q - 160, A - 5.5

Honors and Awards
- I have a stupid number of these, and I don't want to list them really. But there are many many scholarships and grants and such.

Community Activities
- Again, lots.

Veterinary Experience
- 1500ish hours with food animal, CC/ER SA vet, and specialty practices

Animal Experience
- between 1000-2000 hours in many settings.

eLORs
- Vet at ER/CC SA practice
- Vet at ER/CC SA practice
- Professor in micro dept.
- Supervisor at a lab I work for

Personal Statement
- Spoke about how I decided on vet med two years ago, quit work, and started science classes. Talked about my career aspirations.

I don't know if that's any help, but there you go! Two years ago I was working as a peon with degrees in the arts and now I'm accepted to 6 vet schools...it's a weird sensation.

If you want more details, PM me...

Last edited:
Debating if I want to post here... I'm still waiting to hear back from Wisconsin, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to Mizzou regardless. I will contemplate.

I have a question. I see people including "kennel attendant" as vet and some others including it as animal experience. I'm assuming that that's dependent on where you worked? I've worked kennels at a small SA practice for ~ 900 hours and I was fully planning to include that as vet exp. I have done quite a bit of assisting in treatment and a small amount in sx. Can someone explain this to me? I can use this as vet exp, right?

I have a question. I see people including "kennel attendant" as vet and some others including it as animal experience. I'm assuming that that's dependent on where you worked? I've worked kennels at a small SA practice for ~ 900 hours and I was fully planning to include that as vet exp. I have done quite a bit of assisting in treatment and a small amount in sx. Can someone explain this to me? I can use this as vet exp, right?

I would include it as veterinary experience, especially since it was in a SA practice. If you worked in a facility that was strictly a kennel without a regular veterinarian on staff, that would be considered animal experience, IMO.

This is a good question. An admissions rep. for A&M came to talk to our pre-vet club and he addressed this topic. He said that you can split your hours based on the duties you had - (FOR EXAMPLE) 60% of the time you did only animal-related duties (no vet supervision) perhaps and the other 40% of the time you had vet supervision and did medical-related duties. This method is how I personally approached the dilemma of categorizing "kennel attendant."

I worked at a kennel in a small animal hospital. I administered medicine, helped out with the hospital sometimes, interacted with the vets often, and the vets were at the practice every day of the week except Sat. nights and Sundays. However, I felt like I had a lot of independence in the kennel because it was located in a separate room than the hospital and often I did not interact with the doctors for a day or so.

Therefore, based on my personal experience - I split my hours roughly 70% animal and 30% vet experience.

HOWEVER - You may choose to increase the percentage of your "vet" experience because technically you did have vet supervision almost every day you where there I am assuming.

I thought about this closely - How much vet experience did I feel like I got out of it? I did not want to misrepresent myself - I do not want to get in to vet school if I am not ready. So, I felt like about 30-40% of the time I was doing something medically related or directly supervised by the vets. I felt like most of the time (maybe 60-80%) I was only cleaning, feeding and walking animals (these animals were boarding animals, they were not animals there for hospital care - this may work differently for you ? i am not sure) - and this was not really vet experience in my eyes.

This was my decision though. I explained it in the descriptions of the experiences and in the extra space they had provided for additional information on my application. I made this decision based off of what the A&M rep. said and used it for all of my apps. I would advise talking to an admissions representative at one or all of the schools you plan to apply to if you want a secure answer.

Ultimately, I did not want to claim all vet hours because I did not feel like I was getting vet experience out of it 100% of the time. But since the kennel was located within a hospital/practice, I do believe you have every right to include it all in vet experience as mentioned above by LittleWhiz. Also, you mentioned you felt like you did a lot of medical related tasks on the job. So, do what you feel fairly represents yourself. I do not think vet schools would question you.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone here! Especially Kpow for getting into your dream school!