Successful CANADIAN applicant stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetwannabe1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just wanted to start a thread for people to post their stats for Canadian vet schools. I noticed that on all the other successful applicant forums it is mostly Americans and there is a bunch of information that does not apply to canadian applicants. I am applying this year and, like most, would like to know where I stand :).

I will start it off.

First time applicant.
3rd Year Bachelor of Science

Last 2 years GPA: 3.7
10 required courses: 3.47
I also have quite a bit of volunteer experience (vet related and non vet related).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I just wanted to start a thread for people to post their stats for Canadian vet schools. I noticed that on all the other successful applicant forums it is mostly Americans and there is a bunch of information that does not apply to canadian applicants. I am applying this year and, like most, would like to know where I stand :).

I will start it off.

First time applicant.
3rd Year Bachelor of Science

Last 2 years GPA: 3.7
10 required courses: 3.47
I also have quite a bit of volunteer experience (vet related and non vet related).

You will likely get more replies in the what are my chances thread:)

Members don't see this ad :)
We started to give a bit of a background of ourselves in the UCVM/WCVM thread. Feel free to join in there! :) Otherwise, for a general view on your stats people can give you some good feedback in the What Are My Chances Thread. There just aren't enough successful Canadian regulars around to give you a better idea. American/Canadian schools aren't too different in what they're looking for so I think What Are My Chances is your best bet. :)

For any Canadians applying internationally, how are you going to pay for it?!

It is a serious question :)
I am $80 000 in debt from student loans. My brother attends a $40 000 year flight college. My parents have a large debt load. If there was some teeny tiny loophole that existed somewhere, I would be out of here.

The govt gives you $95k for international study of vet med. Obviously that doesn't cover the bill, but helps. My parents were going to loan it to me but I decided to stick with Canadian schools.

The govt gives you $95k for international study of vet med. Obviously that doesn't cover the bill, but helps. My parents were going to loan it to me but I decided to stick with Canadian schools.

Where is this information?
I was under the impression that the max we can get is $14 000/year loan so this is news to me.

I'll have to post a link when I'm off work. I'll have to check if there's a yearly max or not as I'm not sure.

You can PM me.
Thanks for the information :D

Could you please send me the link, too? I know my govt loans are capped at just under $13k per year and I haven't heard anyone getting more than $15k. Maybe the amounts are different if you study abroad. It would be interesting to see.

I am certain the 90K would be max for the whole program. I was accepted to Edinburgh in 2011 and Cornell in 2012, but wasn't able to secure enough funding for the student visas for either. The most a Canadian bank would give me was 120K (Scotiabank), but for both schools I needed the full 4 years, plus living costs factored into my "proof of funding" for a student visa. It was very disappointing, but I'm poor and couldn't find any other ways to fund it.

Still looking for that page. I will send it over to you guys when I manage to find it again....

Here is another difference between Canadian and American stats... you need crazy stats to get into school in the states, but it is easier to get loans to go wherever. Unless you are a rich Canadian, you have to put all of your eggs in one basket.

Sorry to hear about your loan troubles shm :(

Yes, it was pretty heartbreaking, but hopefully reminds other students in my situation to put "all their eggs in one basket", rather than hope for a financial miracle. I went to Cornell for my undergrad and got lots of aid and was hoping it would be the case for vet school as well - but they couldn't give me anything :(

I really wish we had better government loan options. I have withdrawn about 7k from my bank line of credit and I'm already paying over 20$ per month in interest. I cringe when I think about 4th year and paying monthly interest on 30-40k :(

I was given $10 000/year in government loans. I was using a credit line to pay for extras (food, books, transportation, etc). I decided to get a job during the school year to pay for these. The government gave me $7 000 the semester after I started working. So I was still using my credit line for extras in the end.

My credit line is down to $16 350 now. In a few months, it will turn into a loan and I will have to start making payments.

This is the main reason why I regret going after to university. I spent 5 years trying to chase my dream. My original goal was to do 2 years of vet tech and be done with it.

It is very scary.
I'm only making $13.25/hour on top of it.

Last edited: