Suggestion on Presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilkesRx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-been a while since I've been here, being really busy and all:

I have to give a presentation at the hospital that I work at to the nurses of a new Geri-Psych unit we're starting up. My presentation is on antianxiety/antipsychotic medications. I have not had these in school yet (next spring) and I have no idea what to include. What kind of things would the nurses want to hear and what should I include to keep the presentation short. So far I think MOA, interactions, contraindications, side effects, dosage forms, and any other important information for the patient. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Give out samples. ;)

Just rattling off drugs facts may get kinda boring, so I would try to throw in some interesting case studies. Try to gear the talk toward the patients that they would see in the Geri-Psych. Which Im assuming is Geriatrics? So no talking about pediatric doses. You also might want to cover how they can help maintain patient compliance and how to describe what the drug does in simple terms to a patient.

Not to be rude, but honestly you are not qualified to talk about the subject area as of yet. Does your hospital know this? How can you give a talk on this scale about something you have yet to even learn about?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to agree with Caverject. Not to be rude, but it would seem you aren't far enough along in your studies to be able to adequately present the topic and then field questions. How the heck did you get roped into this? How long is it supposed to be?

bananaface said:
I tend to agree with Caverject. Not to be rude, but it would seem you aren't far enough along in your studies to be able to adequately present the topic and then field questions. How the heck did you get roped into this? How long is it supposed to be?

I disagree. I had to give a talk (with another student) to a group about a cardiovascular topic before it had been covered in lectures. Everyone was aware that we had not been taught the intricacies, but they still listened and asked questions. And then there were the questions from the preceptors! I saw it as an opportunity to start to become more comfortable speaking in front of groups, plus we got a heads up because we had to do all sorts of research into the drugs so we were ready when the lectures were eventually done.

I love your icon, forgetmenot :laugh:

ForgetMeNot said:
I disagree. I had to give a talk (with another student) to a group about a cardiovascular topic before it had been covered in lectures. Everyone was aware that we had not been taught the intricacies, but they still listened and asked questions. And then there were the questions from the preceptors! I saw it as an opportunity to start to become more comfortable speaking in front of groups, plus we got a heads up because we had to do all sorts of research into the drugs so we were ready when the lectures were eventually done.

It's one thing to give a presentation to preceptors or even pharmacists you work with about a drug you have little knowledge of. I did that with Ketek in my first year of pharmacy school. However, it appears this is not the case with WilkesRX. He is suppose to be the drug expert giving a presentation to nurses who have little knowledge of drugs other than what they are. It would be like me listening to a 1st year medical student lecturing me how bypass surgery is performed even though they have yet to even sniff the insides of an O.R.

There are way too many anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic drugs. It took us weeks and weeks to cover them. It's too broad of a topic. Maybe you should just start with the benzodiazepenes for anxiety and save the anti-psychotics for another time.

I agree totally with all of the responses here, but I am going to be observed/assisted with my presentation by an R.Ph. who will be there with my to answer any questions and who will review my presentation beforehand to add/change anything. So I am not worried about false information or not being able to answer any questions. I understand that the antianxiety/antipsychotics are a broad topic, but I think I am just going to be giving a brief review of the important aspects of each category, probably about 5-10 minutes long. So knowing all of this, any helpful suggestions?

WilkesRx said:
I agree totally with all of the responses here, but I am going to be observed/assisted with my presentation by an R.Ph. who will be there with my to answer any questions and who will review my presentation beforehand to add/change anything. So I am not worried about false information or not being able to answer any questions. I understand that the antianxiety/antipsychotics are a broad topic, but I think I am just going to be giving a brief review of the important aspects of each category, probably about 5-10 minutes long. So knowing all of this, any helpful suggestions?
Well that changes everything! :laugh:

I would go the following order and it should give you your 10 minutes.

• Overview
  • Objectives
  • Drug Class w/ drug names(aka SSRI or TCA because it is an overview of drugs)
  • Indications
  • Pharmacology (MOA, drug interactions, common side effects)
  • Pharmacokinetics (clearance, metabolization etc)
  • Clinical Trial 1
  • Clinical Trial 2
  • Contraindications & Warnings
  • Precautions
  • Patient Education
  • Summary
  • References

Thanks Caverject! Sorry I was not too clear before, I should have explained the situation so as to alleviate any confusion :) The details are a little sketchy as to how much time I have to work on it, because the new unit opens this week, but I should have a week or two to work on it, hopefully! Another thing I wanted to know was about the use of any handouts that can be posted in the unit such as: common side effects and drug interactions, so the nursed would have a quick reference if they needed to give one of these medications along with other medications. Since these drugs would be fast movers of a geriatric psychiatric unit, would it be good to include a quick "cheat sheet" if they need it for future use?