Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) - 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i called to find out about NYU SURP and they said that email notifications will be sent out the week on March 7th.

Has anyone heard from these programs?
NYU SURP
Mount Sinai
Vanderbilt Clinical Research Internship
Emory SURE
Medical College of Georgia STAR Program

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so these are the programs that I have already heard from:

MIT MRSP: Acceptance
Baylor SMART: Acceptance
Johns Hopkins SURF: Acceptance
UT Southwester: Acceptance
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology: Acceptance

NYU SURF: Rejection
Wash U Biomed RAP: Rejection
Gerstner Sloan Ketering: Rejection
Cold Spring Harbor SURF: Rejection

Duke SURF: Waiting
Rockefeller: Waiting
Vanderbilt: Waiting
Harvard Immunology Program: Waiting
Medical College of Georgia: Waiting
Mount Sinai: Waiting

I am not sure which one I should accept. I am leaning towards Max Planck Institute but I find it hard to reject both MIT and Johns Hopkins. Any suggestions, keeping in mind I would like to go to grad school for Immunology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so these are the programs that I have already heard from:

MIT MRSP: Acceptance
Baylor SMART: Acceptance
Johns Hopkins SURF: Acceptance
UT Southwester: Acceptance
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology: Acceptance

NYU SURF: Rejection
Wash U Biomed RAP: Rejection
Gerstner Sloan Ketering: Rejection
Cold Spring Harbor SURF: Rejection

Duke SURF: Waiting
Rockefeller: Waiting
Vanderbilt: Waiting
Harvard Immunology Program: Waiting
Medical College of Georgia: Waiting
Mount Sinai: Waiting

I am not sure which one I should accept. I am leaning towards Max Planck Institute but I find it hard to reject both MIT and Johns Hopkins. Any suggestions, keeping in mind I would like to go to grad school for Immunology.

Your doing something right, that is a very impressive list!

Hmmm..so these programs give you research experience. Is there even anytime to publish anything??

Hmmm..so these programs give you research experience. Is there even anytime to publish anything??

I know the amgen program lets you present and you can also continue that research back at your home university and get published.

Question--if an applicant to one of these programs is already doing research at a medical institution, and their supervisor/director is among the list of researchers looking for students in the pool.. then does that necessarily constitute a 'guaranteed/near-guaranteed acceptance? How does the selection process for these things work, basically?

My reason for asking is, I want to know if spots in these programs get taken from "backdoor"-type arrangements. Say someone is applying to a SURP-type program, and their lab director arranges to pick them from the applicant pool. Does that make up a good chunk of acceptances, or what?

Question--if an applicant to one of these programs is already doing research at a medical institution, and their supervisor/director is among the list of researchers looking for students in the pool.. then does that necessarily constitute a 'guaranteed/near-guaranteed acceptance? How does the selection process for these things work, basically?

My reason for asking is, I want to know if spots in these programs get taken from "backdoor"-type arrangements. Say someone is applying to a SURP-type program, and their lab director arranges to pick them from the applicant pool. Does that make up a good chunk of acceptances, or what?

Any responses on this--or is the question that unclear?

Does anyone know if it's really bad to accept a program's acceptance, and then later reject it, because you got into a program you'd rather go to? I got into a program a couple weeks ago, and they said that I have to reply by today whether I accept/decline their offer. I just don't know what to do. While I would love to attend the program, I still need to hear back from other programs that don't come in until March.