Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. Yay! I just saw this. So I applied to ...
1) Weill Cornell traveler's program, had an interview, went ok, but haven't heard anything yet, kinda scared
2: Scripps Oceanographic REU, but I worry my recommender hasn't sent my stuff in yet
3: my backup is Health Leads and Scribing in NYC, not sure it will happen.... good luck to everyone! and if you have some further suggestions of places I could apply to .... let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Northwestern SROP, CSU REU, or University of Minnesota LSSURP?
I applied to Northwestern SROP but haven't got anything yet. I called in early March and they said that they had sent out the initial accepted candidates and were waiting to hear back from them before sending out the next wave of acceptances. They said that the process could take until mid April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied to Univ of Chicago Leadership Alliance? They said they're going to be finalizing decisions soon..

Has anyone applied to Univ of Chicago Leadership Alliance? They said they're going to be finalizing decisions soon..
I applied...haven't heard anything. I'm too nervous to call any programs lol. Did they say anything else?

Was wondering if anyone here applied to/heard from a program via the CIC SROP? Website says notifications are sent Feb thru early May. I honestly think that's going to drive me crazy.

I'm suddenly realizing that three programs is too few to apply to. Ick, what will I do if I don't get into one of my top two..... ugh. ugh. ugh,

Reactions: 1 users
I applied...haven't heard anything. I'm too nervous to call any programs lol. Did they say anything else?
I emailed on Friday asking to know my status. They said they haven't finalized their decisions but that they will soon. On the leadership alliance website, it says univ of Chicago notifications begin march 15. If you get any notification, will you let me know please? Silent rejections drive me crazy! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Been somewhat successful. rejected at 3 other places. didnt feel that great. then i just got an acceptance email from Einstein woop woop. gotta wait for two more. cmon daad!

I emailed on Friday asking to know my status. They said they haven't finalized their decisions but that they will soon. On the leadership alliance website, it says univ of Chicago notifications begin march 15. If you get any notification, will you let me know please? Silent rejections drive me crazy! Good luck!
I applied to Uni of Chicago through Leadership Alliance and I haven't heard back but that makes me feel better about not hearing anything.
It's driving me crazy too. I applied late (before the deadline though), so I don't know if that makes a difference in when they review it. I haven't heard back from any of the programs I applied to from leadership alliance, acceptance or rejection.
I check it everyday even though they say the'll send an email. :(
I know on the application you can choose to get offers from schools you didn't pick. Has that happened to anyone?

Thanks! I will let you know...lately I've been checking email quite a bit haha.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to Uni of Chicago through Leadership Alliance and I haven't heard back but that makes me feel better about not hearing anything.
It's driving me crazy too. I applied late (before the deadline though), so I don't know if that makes a difference in when they review it. I haven't heard back from any of the programs I applied to from leadership alliance, acceptance or rejection.
I know on the application you can choose to get offers from schools you didn't pick. Has that happened to anyone?

I thought I hadn't heard back because I didn't receive any email but Yale posted my rejection on the site :(

I am also wondering if my app will go to other schools. I hope it does now that I only have 2 chances left for my original placements

My other two sites were Harvard and Columbia. I haven't heard back. I even emailed asking to know my status and no response. So most likely, it's a rejection. I do hope our app is sent to other schools but I don't know how seriously those schools will consider us if we got rejected from leadership alliance. Lol, not to be a downer or anything :)

I thought I hadn't heard back because I didn't receive any email but Yale posted my rejection on the site :(

I am also wondering if my app will go to other schools. I hope it does now that I only have 2 chances left for my original placements

I applied to Harvard, Dartmouth, and U Chi have no news either way. Also, going through this thread I didn't see any acceptance or rejections for any of these schools through Leadership Alliance.
This is my first time applying to these types of programs and I'm wondering if I didn't apply to enough. If I don't get something this summer I'm screwed because I don't have a back-up. I thought applying to three programs through one organization was enough. I met the executive director and she was so nice.

My other two sites were Harvard and Columbia. I haven't heard back. I even emailed asking to know my status and no response. So most likely, it's a rejection. I do hope our app is sent to other schools but I don't know how seriously those schools will consider us if we got rejected from leadership alliance. Lol, not to be a downer or anything :)
I wouldn't take it as a rejection simply because some schools simply don't respond to any inquires.

I applied to Harvard, Dartmouth, and U Chi have no news either way. Also, going through this thread I didn't see any acceptance or rejections for any of these schools through Leadership Alliance.
This is my first time applying to these types of programs and I'm wondering if I didn't apply to enough. If I don't get something this summer I'm screwed because I don't have a back-up. I thought applying to three programs through one organization was enough. I met the executive director and she was so nice.

Leadership Alliance might not e-mail you if you get a rejection. You need to check on their actual site. Also I believe leadership alliance is mainly trying to recruit URMs so you may have a good chance if you are a URM with decent stats.

Same here. I suggest trying to get into a lab in your home university if you have not done so already.

UW Amgen will be releasing decisions by the end of the week, which is only slightly more specific than "mid-March." :bang:

Ahhhhh, I was just accepted to an awesome program in California (sorry for the ambiguity, you can pm me if you want to know specifics)! I am so excited :soexcited: I'm almost tempted to go ahead and say yes right now, but a part of me wants to know if I got into some of the other programs I applied to. Should I try contacting the other programs?

Question for sdners? Am I crazy or should I panic?
So, I applied to a summer program I loved. I asked a teacher for a rec for it on the 12th, finished the app on the 16th and the rec request was sent to her on the 16th ( of March).
I however, had everything sent to her school email and just realized that she may never look at her school email because we're on break. the due date is march 21st... seriously freaking out.......

So, I applied to a summer program I loved. I asked a teacher for a rec for it on the 12th, finished the app on the 16th and the rec request was sent to her on the 16th ( of March).
I however, had everything sent to her school email and just realized that she may never look at her school email because we're on break. the due date is march 21st... seriously freaking out.......

My professors checked email once every 24 or 48 hours while on spring break, so don't worry, I'm sure she will too, especially if she was expecting the email. But to avoid a panic next time, you should ask them several weeks ahead of the deadline, like 3-4 at least.

@bwblue - I would suggest calling each of the other programs to let them know that although you are very interested in the program, you are accepting another. Then ask them what the status of your application was for future reference, ie to see where you stand for future internship or graduate program applications. It really helps to reply as quickly as possible so they can notify waitlisted students. It would be wonderful if everyone followed this unspoken rule, but alas, not many do! Good luck, though - I hope you enjoy whichever CA program you chose :)

I had to send one of my profs a few emails to get the letter submitted by the deadline. No offense but you're kinda working on a crunched timeline I would have given your teacher more time. You can always go to try and catch her in person.. After a class or whatever

I got rejected from 10/15 of the places I applied to.

Rejections include

AMGEN MIT, Columbia, WASHU, UCSF
Iowa MD/PhD
NYU SURF
Baylor
Rochester SURF
JHU SIP
Minnesota HLB

I'm assuming I'm not getting in the other places I applied to.

I have a 3.67 GPA and four years of lab experience. Was it my GPA or LOR that did me in?

ugh.sigh. sent her an email last night asking her to please tell me if she got my stuff.... no reply.

Rejections include

Iowa MD/PhD
NYU SURF
Baylor
Rochester SURF
JHU SIP
Minnesota HLB

I have a 3.67 GPA and four years of lab experience. Was it my GPA or LOR that did me in?

How did you know you were rejected from Columbia? No one seems to have heard anything from them.

And, with my very minimal knowledge, I would say your gpa likely disqualified you during initial reviews. No one but you and your recommenders can comment on your LORs. Just remember, there's always next year. Take it as an opportunity for growth. :)

Rejections include

Iowa MD/PhD
NYU SURF
Baylor
Rochester SURF
JHU SIP
Minnesota HLB

Stay hopeful. You still have 5 more shots. I applied to 14 places this year and have only received rejections from 7 places so far. The GPA is what is probably hurting you the most since numbers are the easiest means of comparing two applicants. Also, some programs favor applicants who do not have the opportunity to conduct research. It really is a crapshoot and I would not let it discourage you too much.

How did you know you were rejected from Columbia? No one seems to have heard anything from them.

And, with my very minimal knowledge, I would say your gpa likely disqualified you during initial reviews. No one but you and your recommenders can comment on your LORs. Just remember, there's always next year. Take it as an opportunity for growth. :)

I did.

"Hi,

I regret to inform you that you were not selected to receive the Amgen Scholars fellowship for the upcoming summer. We had far, far more outstanding applicants than available fellowships this year. Over 1,100 students applied.

This decision must not negate you from applying next year. As I'm sure you know, the Amgen Scholars Program is an ongoing summer research opportunity; If eligible, we encourage you to apply again next year, and thank you for your interest.

Once again, I am very sorry this didn't work out for you.

Please let me know if you have questions, and take care!-Chanda

Chanda Springer
SURF/Amgen Program Assistant
Columbia University
744 Mudd Building, MC: 2454
New York, NY 10027
212-854-2262
[email protected]"

Rejected from all programs. I was told by one program that I fit acceptance but am already at a research heavy institution. For those accepted to summer programs, are you or are you not at research heavy schools?

Rejected from all programs. I was told by one program that I fit acceptance but am already at a research heavy institution. For those accepted to summer programs, are you or are you not at research heavy schools?

So sorry to hear that. I'm starting to think that will be me soon. I haven't been accepted to any so far but my school is the furthest thing from research heavy so maybe that'll help me. If you don't mind my asking, which program said that?

Hey everyone!

So I applied to the Travelers program at Cornell and I'm still waiting to hear back (after the interview). They said we should know by tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed!

(In retrospect, I definitely should have applied to more... whoops! :/ )

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that. I'm starting to think that will be me soon. I haven't been accepted to any so far but my school is the furthest thing from research heavy so maybe that'll help me. If you don't mind my asking, which program said that?

University of Chicago REU in Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology and a Princeton Summer program said something similar. I imagine Amgen programs care less about the institution you come from as the Amgen programs accept many from their own institutions, which are research heavy.

^I Remember getting rejected from that UChicago REU a couple years back lol random

Rejected from UW Amgen, but I have an interview with HMS next week ! Can't say I'm too upset.

:hello: Good luck, everyone!

Wooooooooooooot NIH, AMGEN and other summer programs :) and im a freshy too! congrats to everyone else!

That's strange, isn't Amgen only open to sophomores and juniors(and not going by credit hours, but by intended date of graduation)? But congrats on your achievements.

Yes, they usually are, but I still applied. Im assuming if you really have the credentials/merits for the programs, you have a fair shot regardless. That being said I still received rejections too so you never know...

I believe it's more of an eligibility requirement, rather than a qualification standard.

Checking this forum is really aiding my procrastination tonight...
As to the above, maybe some programs like a blank slate. Because I'm a junior with 3 years of experience and have no offers and am kind of upset about that...3.8 GPA, good LORs, and did like a million drafts of my SOPs. I suppose some programs look at my stuff and think I don't need the extra experience? But congrats @axonwisp !

Any news?
Pepperdine University SURB
Emory SURE
UMass Boston REU
Wadsworth Center REU
UNC Chapel Hill SURB--Assuming silent rejection at this point

Damn your GPA is high... Im sooooooo jealous. Whats your major? and cute fox!

Hmmm I dont have a blank slate at all..... In fact, im extremely far from being a blank slate.

I feel bad, I copied and pasted my amgen, nih, surf, sup essays from old high school summer programs essays lol...

Haha I'm a psychology major. Probably the only one in this thread lol. But a lot of the programs do overlap because of neuro research getting so much funding. Ps- thanks, it's a red panda, favorite animal :)