Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I used http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/ also I was lucky enough to attend a few major conferences and I signed up with the schools I was interested in and received a lot of information about summer opportunities from the individual institutions. I also looked up NSF grants at nearby institutions (I attend a very small, minority-serving institution with no research opportunities) and explained my interests and my situation to see if I could fit in on a program - I got an international research internship by doing this! Now this year I am focused on the Leadership Alliance - but don't think I applied correctly. I received one reject/currently on hold from my dream placement/and not a peep from the third institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys so I already accepted an offer from Pitt SURP, but just received an acceptance from the University of Rochester into their inaugural MSTP Summer Scholars Program. Because I am a prospective MD-PhD student, the offer from Rochester is extremely tempting(not to mention it pays more). Could anybody offer any advice as to how to think about this situation? I understand this is definitely not a *real* problem, as I'm extremely grateful to have been accepted anywhere, but I would appreciate any advice anybody could give me!

Hey guys so I already accepted an offer from Pitt SURP, but just received an acceptance from the University of Rochester into their inaugural MSTP Summer Scholars Program. Because I am a prospective MD-PhD student, the offer from Rochester is extremely tempting(not to mention it pays more). Could anybody offer any advice as to how to think about this situation? I understand this is definitely not a *real* problem, as I'm extremely grateful to have been accepted anywhere, but I would appreciate any advice anybody could give me!

Easy, accept the offer for the other program. Notify Pitt that you are unable to attend. This is why programs have wait lists.

Members don't see this ad :)
the fact that it pays more gives you an "easy way out" without burning a bridge. Always go for greater funding.

Do you know the research that you'd do in either place yet? Could you find out? Ultimately, choose the program where you'll be doing the research that most interests you. If you don't know what you'd be doing and the program cannot let you know, then I'd probably go with the MSTP program as long as the Pitt SURP program has not already finalized their cohort and sent out all rejection emails. If they've already finalized it, you're in more of a tough spot.

Got rejected twice by a program I didn't even apply to (Combined SURP at the University of Massachusetts Medical School) but for some reason it still kinda hurt... lol. Anyway, just a heads up for anyone who might still be waiting to hear back from them.

They just wanted to let you know in case you were thinking about applying...

Rejected from UCSD STARS program. Do any of you respond to rejection emails? And if so what do you say?

Finally found out our living situation for the NIH Amgen program. Looks like I'll be staying in a dorm at GWU. Anyone have any experience with the area and has any suggestions of fun stuff to do? I nearly cried when I found out the Chick Fil A on campus closed down.

Rejected from Rutgers NeuroSurp. Do you guys know if reu rejections are indicative of how people do with PhD admissions?

Rejected from Rutgers NeuroSurp. Do you guys know if reu rejections are indicative of how people do with PhD admissions?
Getting into an REU can be seen as a reflection of the strength of your profile for Ph.D admissions given that they look for similar candidates and ask similar things in the applications. However, not getting into an REU doesn't mean you're doomed, it simply serves as reassurance.

Waitlisted at Rochester CVS Fellowship. Better than a rejection, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from Vanderbilt SR-EIP. No email, just "closed with no offer" through the portal.

Just received acceptance into U. of Chicago's LAMI program through SR-EIP. God is so good. Hang in there guys, it's not over yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
you should inquire why they didnt take you. I applied to Cornell REU and wasnt accepted, not because i wasnt qualified or good for the program, but because my research that I described didn't really align with the PI's left to choose a candidate. I was even told about making it to the final round of selection and how many people applied.

you should inquire why they didnt take you. I applied to Cornell REU and wasnt accepted, not because i wasnt qualified or good for the program, but because my research that I described didn't really align with the PI's left to choose a candidate. I was even told about making it to the final round of selection and how many people applied.
Thanks! That's good advice.

How did you hear?
I accidentally sent an email meant for pen state to the coordinator at Wisconsin who replied "you mentioned penn state but here you sent it to Wisconsin." I sent an apology email and 30 minutes letter my rejection email was sent. Idk if that mistake was a reason for it, but moral of the story check your emails 3 times before you send please.

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected from U Penn SR-EIP! Just one more and then I can change my major to art history.

Reactions: 7 users
Rejected from SROP University of Maryland, Summer Research Initiative

Anyone hear from the Pitt SPAEP yet? I already accepted an offer to another program, but I want to know to ease my curiosity.

Anyone hear from the Pitt SPAEP yet? I already accepted an offer to another program, but I want to know to ease my curiosity.

Exact same situation. Already accepted and happy about where I'm going, but super curious about Pitt SPAEP and never heard back. (Also haven't heard back from Cinci SURF-N or MSTP SURF, or Einstein, if anyone was wondering about those).

Reactions: 1 users
Felt like it was a good time to create this thread. I'm a senior now, so I'm not applying to any summer programs myself; however, I have participated in and been accepted to multiple programs in the past, so I'm more than happy to give advice to people regarding admission. :)

I wish the best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!

I am from Hawaii. Got into a biomedical research program, affiliated with the tropical medicine department at JABSOM. I will be going to New Delhi, India this summer. HIV/AIDS based project.

Applied in December 2015, Found out January 2016. Wrote 3 essays, gave 3 references and they called all of them. Interview at the medical school, there were 9 slots. The time I've spent preparing this Spring semester and Summer will be compensated$$$ and used for credit.

Sophmore at Community College. GPA 3.75. Filipino/Pacific Islander.

Accepted into an NIH BUILD initiative program today. its a 3 year program, so not really summer but its fully funded

Just got a rejection from Einstein. Not sure if they send out different ones depending on your academic class status but they said they'd like me to apply again next year after I advanced my studies since I'm only a sophomore.

Just got a rejection from Einstein. Not sure if they send out different ones depending on your academic class status but they said they'd like me to apply again next year after I advanced my studies since I'm only a sophomore.

I believe they send out different ones, then. I had a paragraph after my rejection that felt oddly specific towards my application, but I wasn't sure. Now, I definitely think they tailored some of them.

Yesterday I was offered a spot at Purdue in case anyone is waiting to hear from them. I believe I was most likely on a waitlist because it wasnt a formal acceptance letter.

[EDIT]: Purdue SROP

Hey everyone, just got a really late acceptance into Harvard HSPH Summer Biostatistics and Computational Biology program. I'm so excited.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! So for those who are waiting to hear back from Pitt's SPAEP, I spoke to their office earlier today, and they said they willing be notifying applicants next week! I was told they had A LOT of applicants and they just want to get back to all of them. Good luck to those who are still awaiting news from them!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users