Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interned at the NIH this past summer so if anyone has any questions, you can ask me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone advise me on whether a Summer program is right for me?

I am already in a research group and I will have been in it for just over a year by the time next summer hits. Would it be better for me to attend some summer program or continue to perform in my lab and attempt to be productive? (I suppose, continue work in my wet lab, or go to a flashy NIH program?)

I am looking at applying MD/PhD. I will have ~2.5 years of research when I apply. This summer will be my last full summer before the cycle I apply in.
If you get into the NIH, they really try to help students wanting to pursue an MD/PhD program. The connections you will make are phenomenal and they have lectures/fairs geared towards the MD/PhD route.

Is there anything specifically impressive/better about going to one of these summer programs over just doing research at your own university over the summer. Like would an adcom member see that someone went to a SURF program and be like "wow, impressive. he got accepted to so and so this summer". Or would it be equally beneficial to just starting research at my own uni during the summer?
It really depends on the college you go to. I go to a small college and getting accepted into the NIH program really put me on the map at my school. It continues to open up so many doors that I never thought would be possible. I did work in a lab at my school before I did my internship but I guess it gave me credibility when I was accepted into the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I recently decided to apply again to summer programs after my disastrous attempt last year, and I was hoping to get some advice on who to ask for recommendations (one of the weaknesses on my applications last year). Just for reference, I am a sophomore applying to mostly MD-PhD focused programs. Right now I have three options, but most of the programs I am applying to require only 2 so I was hoping for some advice on which two options would be the best:
1) The post-doc I have been work under this past semester in the lab I recently started at
2) My TF in the molecular and cellular biology lab course I took this past semester, who is also a lecturer at my school's medical school. He has a PhD if that makes a difference.
3) The CEO of the small, relatively unknown biotech company that I have been working at for the past 2 summers. He also has a PhD.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Hey guys,

I recently decided to apply again to summer programs after my disastrous attempt last year, and I was hoping to get some advice on who to ask for recommendations (one of the weaknesses on my applications last year). Just for reference, I am a sophomore applying to mostly MD-PhD focused programs. Right now I have three options, but most of the programs I am applying to require only 2 so I was hoping for some advice on which two options would be the best:
1) The post-doc I have been work under this past semester in the lab I recently started at
2) My TF in the molecular and cellular biology lab course I took this past semester, who is also a lecturer at my school's medical school. He has a PhD if that makes a difference.
3) The CEO of the small, relatively unknown biotech company that I have been working at for the past 2 summers. He also has a PhD.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Why don't you ask the PI for which your postdoc works with?

I didn't really think to ask the PI because I haven't really gotten the chance to get to know the PI this past semester. Do you guys know how common it is to have post-docs write the letter and have PI's sign/cosign?

Also @Mr Interesting at the biotech company, I was researching the effectiveness of their cancer drugs on embryonic stem cells, and also helping with drug development and data analysis.

@Beyonce2.0 A co-signed letter of recommendation is pretty common. Or, your post-doc can write the letter on behalf of the PI. I've seen both ways done.

Bottom line: get the PIs name on there somehow. The recommendation will hold more weight.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't really think to ask the PI because I haven't really gotten the chance to get to know the PI this past semester. Do you guys know how common it is to have post-docs write the letter and have PI's sign/cosign?

Also @Mr Interesting at the biotech company, I was researching the effectiveness of their cancer drugs on embryonic stem cells, and also helping with drug development and data analysis.
It's actually pretty common.

I would recommend a letter from the PI and the PI or postdoc from the biotech company.

Reactions: 1 users
Cool, so I'll probably ask my current PI and the PI/CEO from the biotech company for letters. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Beyonce2.0 If you are working closely with a post-doc in your lab, be sure to talk to them about it too. They will have the most specific and complimentary things to say about you, so you don't want the letter to be solely in the hands of the PI!

I think you have a much better chance of getting admitted this year. The programs that you're applying to are still very competitive, so don't take it personal if you don't get in. make sure you have a great personal statement and that the recommenders that you chose can truly reflect your passion for research. If you send me your statement of purpose/personal statement, I can gladly give you some feedback and tips. Hope this helps!
What are the most important things or messages to get across in the personal statement ?

What are the most important things or messages to get across in the personal statement ?

First, understand that it shouldn't really talk contain too much about yourself perse, regardless of being called a personal statement. Have a nice introduction that describes how you becamen interested in science/research. Describe your research experiences in detail or talk extensively about your passion for research. Then, talk about your future goals and how research fits into it. Finally, provide a convincing explanation why this program woukd help you achieve your goals

Also, get feedback from multiple people. I think for my summer program essays, at least 3 people gave me feedback on my essay. For my graduate school statement of purpose, which is an reu essay on steroids, I think the number got closer to 10.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should apply for the Leadership Alliance program. It says they are mostly looking for URM students. I'm Asian, from New Mexico, and my only general hook would be that I'm a first generation student.

I do have a stellar GPA and 1.5 years of research experience. I also have a clinical publication as a 3rd author & and I was acknowledged in a paper that was published in the Journal of Genetics and Genomics, but I think that doesn't carry much weight. I would like to be exposed to more research environments, hopefully outside of my home state.

Thanks guys!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should apply for the Leadership Alliance program. It says they are mostly looking for URM students. I'm Asian, from New Mexico, and my only general hook would be that I'm a first generation student.

I do have a stellar GPA and 1.5 years of research experience. I also have a clinical publication as a 3rd author & and I was acknowledged in a paper that was published in the Journal of Genetics and Genomics, but I think that doesn't carry much weight. I would like to be exposed to more research environments, hopefully outside of my home state.

Thanks guys!
I would definitely apply if I were you since you seem like a great candidate for LA programs! :D

Just finish submitting all my applications...also feeling sick to my stomach... Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Quick question: how in depth should I be going when describing my past research experience? Right now I'm just talking very basically about the overall goal of the project(s) I am describing as well as its significance to the larger goals of the lab, but should I be describing methodology, results, things learned, etc.? Thanks in advance! :)

Quick question: how in depth should I be going when describing my past research experience? Right now I'm just talking very basically about the overall goal of the project(s) I am describing as well as its significance to the larger goals of the lab, but should I be describing methodology, results, things learned, etc.? Thanks in advance! :)
You should briefly describe how the methods connect to the overall goal of the project. I think it's safe to leave what you learned out, unless you can do it implicitly.

You should briefly describe how the methods connect to the overall goal of the project. I think it's safe to leave what you learned out, unless you can do it implicitly.

Okay, and is describing results not necessary then?

Okay, and is describing results not necessary then?
I never did that on my persona statements, and it's not really relevant for the purpose of the essay. For graduste school essays, you must discuss results almost always.

No, I disagree strongly. The best applications will include the results (if you have any) and especially what you learned from the experience. Please put that in there.

No, I disagree strongly. The best applications will include the results (if you have any) and especially what you learned from the experience. Please put that in there.

None of my summer research application essays contained results from my labs, mainly because I thought the amount of detail was not necessary, or the projects was not finished. I think you can make a very convincing ps by stating how the methods used connect to the overall goal and maybe explaining what you learned. Of course, by the time I applied to the research programs, I already had multiple research experiences so going into detail would have occupied space that I wanted to use for other things. I guess that if you've only done research at one lab, you should write as much possible about it.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and posted a separate thread about this but this would probably be a better place to ask. I'm a junior from one of the top ivies (HYP) applying to a lot of these research programs but kind of have a low gpa (3.1) due to a couple C's in higher level chem classes sophomore year. This past semester I had really good grades. I have a summer of research experience at my schools med school and pretty solid rec letters, but I'm wondering if my gpa will really tank my application. Should I even be hoping for any acceptances? I'm a URM also but I doubt that will make much difference. Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and posted a separate thread about this but this would probably be a better place to ask. I'm a junior from one of the top ivies (HYP) applying to a lot of these research programs but kind of have a low gpa (3.1) due to a couple C's in higher level chem classes sophomore year. This past semester I had really good grades. I have a summer of research experience at my schools med school and pretty solid rec letters, but I'm wondering if my gpa will really tank my application. Should I even be hoping for any acceptances? I'm a URM also but I doubt that will make much difference. Thank you!

I can't answer your question, but I feel like majority of these programs cater to URM.

None of my summer research application essays contained results from my labs, mainly because I thought the amount of detail was not necessary, or the projects was not finished. I think you can make a very convincing ps by stating how the methods used connect to the overall goal and maybe explaining what you learned. Of course, by the time I applied to the research programs, I already had multiple research experiences so going into detail would have occupied space that I wanted to use for other things. I guess that if you've only done research at one lab, you should write as much possible about it.
I think it really depends on the applicant and should be tailored as such. If an applicant does have some results, then I think it's nice to walk the readers through as complete a research process as possible. I would imagine most readers would not be interested so much in the methods/techniques you used; rather, they would likely be more interested in specific examples of how troubleshooting was done or some similar story as it reveals more about the individual. It's difficult to squeeze in all the details in these apps so I advise people to highlight certain examples. Also, I think a narrative format would be refreshing to read as opposed to what I imagine the most common format would be (just straight to the bland details; I did research with Dr. X. I did this blah blah). But this is just my own opinion so I recommend collecting a variety of opinions before settling on how to approach the essays. Goodluck to all!

I think it really depends on the applicant and should be tailored as such. If an applicant does have some results, then I think it's nice to walk the readers through as complete a research process as possible. I would imagine most readers would not be interested so much in the methods/techniques you used; rather, they would likely be more interested in specific examples of how troubleshooting was done or some similar story as it reveals more about the individual. It's difficult to squeeze in all the details in these apps so I advise people to highlight certain examples. Also, I think a narrative format would be refreshing to read as opposed to what I imagine the most common format would be (just straight to the bland details; I did research with Dr. X. I did this blah blah). But this is just my own opinion so I recommend collecting a variety of opinions before settling on how to approach the essays. Goodluck to all!

I'm just wondering how much detail I can really go into. For example, one of the essays asks for a brief description of my past research experience. After describing the overall goals of the three labs I worked/in and my specific project, I am already at 470 words out of the 500 limit, with not much space left to describe methods/techniques, results, and what I learned from each experience. On the one hand I feel like I'm not talking enough about the things I did, but on the other hand there is not much space to do so.

I'm just wondering how much detail I can really go into. For example, one of the essays asks for a brief description of my past research experience. After describing the overall goals of the three labs I worked/in and my specific project, I am already at 470 words out of the 500 limit, with not much space left to describe methods/techniques, results, and what I learned from each experience. On the one hand I feel like I'm not talking enough about the things I did, but on the other hand there is not much space to do so.
How significant were each of the experiences? Are they relatively similar or does one or two stand out? Think about why you are writing about each experience. If one of the experiences was relatively minor and/or your first experience, maybe you can briefly mention it in the beginning. There are diminishing returns on talking about each project you've done and each certainly does not need to be explained in depth. My advice would be to focus on the strongest experience with the bulk of your space. Also, don't forget to describe the experiences as could be understood by an intelligent person but not necessarily someone in your field. The worst thing is when a reader looks at an app and sees I studied the effect of protein AHDY in the pathway IUD using... Show them you understand your work on a level that allows you to communicate it to others in your own, understandable terms (analogies are great).

The purpose of describing your research experience is to allow the selection committee to gauge if you would be a good fit for their program. Some programs are aimed at people with minimal research experience. If they read you have 3 experiences, then you probably won't fit with their mission. Some programs are rigorous and expect students who have delved into research before and have a decent grasp of the research process. If they see 3 experiences, then you qualify for having a good amount/quantity of research experience. The next thing they would check if whether your experiences were meaningful and how it affected you as a student. If they can see that in your app, you have a good chance of being selected given other expectations like gpa are on par.

The above is what I perceive is the reasoning for such questions on these apps. Perhaps it's correct, perhaps it's not. Certainly each application scorer will have their own nuances. Source: I've won numerous national awards and some very big international ones so I am familiar with applications in general.

Also, just write everything you want to write without worrying about the limit and then cut. I often have 2x as much words in my first draft.

Quick question: how detrimental would not having a PI letter be, especially if you've been in a lab for over a year and gotten significant things accomplished?

Quick question: how detrimental would not having a PI letter be, especially if you've been in a lab for over a year and gotten significant things accomplished?

FWIW, I didn't have any letters from a PI, but my research experience began 3 months ago and is in epi so I didn't think that they would be able to speak to my strengths as well as other people. I've already got one PI at a summer program say they would take me. Your mileage may vary, however.

How significant were each of the experiences? Are they relatively similar or does one or two stand out? Think about why you are writing about each experience. If one of the experiences was relatively minor and/or your first experience, maybe you can briefly mention it in the beginning. There are diminishing returns on talking about each project you've done and each certainly does not need to be explained in depth. My advice would be to focus on the strongest experience with the bulk of your space. Also, don't forget to describe the experiences as could be understood by an intelligent person but not necessarily someone in your field. The worst thing is when a reader looks at an app and sees I studied the effect of protein AHDY in the pathway IUD using... Show them you understand your work on a level that allows you to communicate it to others in your own, understandable terms (analogies are great).

The purpose of describing your research experience is to allow the selection committee to gauge if you would be a good fit for their program. Some programs are aimed at people with minimal research experience. If they read you have 3 experiences, then you probably won't fit with their mission. Some programs are rigorous and expect students who have delved into research before and have a decent grasp of the research process. If they see 3 experiences, then you qualify for having a good amount/quantity of research experience. The next thing they would check if whether your experiences were meaningful and how it affected you as a student. If they can see that in your app, you have a good chance of being selected given other expectations like gpa are on par.

The above is what I perceive is the reasoning for such questions on these apps. Perhaps it's correct, perhaps it's not. Certainly each application scorer will have their own nuances. Source: I've won numerous national awards and some very big international ones so I am familiar with applications in general.

Also, just write everything you want to write without worrying about the limit and then cut. I often have 2x as much words in my first draft.

The first experience was for 2 summers in high school, the second experience was for two summers after that, ending last summer, and the third experience is what I've been doing this past semester. So based on what you're saying, I should talk more briefly about the things I did in high school, and expand a lot (results, things learned, etc.) on what I have been doing this past semester and maybe expand more on what I did during the past two summers? Sorry for all the questions; I didn't get into any programs when I applied last year and so I just want to make sure all parts of my application are as good as they can be.

The first experience was for 2 summers in high school, the second experience was for two summers after that, ending last summer, and the third experience is what I've been doing this past semester. So based on what you're saying, I should talk more briefly about the things I did in high school, and expand a lot (results, things learned, etc.) on what I have been doing this past semester and maybe expand more on what I did during the past two summers? Sorry for all the questions; I didn't get into any programs when I applied last year and so I just want to make sure all parts of my application are as good as they can be.
You should focus on the part that was the most meaningful to you, whether it was due to the productivity or growth you experienced. Unless the high school experience was especially meaningful/productive, I would be brief about it.

FWIW, I didn't have any letters from a PI, but my research experience began 3 months ago and is in epi so I didn't think that they would be able to speak to my strengths as well as other people. I've already got one PI at a summer program say they would take me. Your mileage may vary, however.

Yeah my PI has expressed strong interest in me staying over for the summer and I'd hate to tell him I don't want to, but I really want to try out a summer thing for the potential of getting another PI letter + exposure to a new field/techniques.

Yeah my PI has expressed strong interest in me staying over for the summer and I'd hate to tell him I don't want to, but I really want to try out a summer thing for the potential of getting another PI letter + exposure to a new field/techniques.

I told all three of my current PI's that I might need to take a break in order to participate in one of the programs I applied for and they were all very supportive.

hey everyone, I need some advice. I was offered a position at the NIH in a pretty cool lab studying diabetes. The problem is, I haven't even submitted my application to all of the other programs I was considering (amgen, cshl, etc) and I'm supposed to decide by friday whether or not to accept the NIH offer. I know a lot of these programs are absurdly competitive, should I just take the NIH offer to be safe or try my luck?

Some other info: junior, ivy, ~3.9 gpa, ~3ish years of research experience, 2 years in the same lab with 1 pub (3rd author) and I'm now working on an independent project, I'm going to apply to md/phd programs but i'll be taking a gap year

Last edited:
hey everyone, I need some advice. I was offered a position at the NIH in a pretty cool lab studying diabetes. The problem is, I haven't even submitted my application to all of the other programs I was considering (amgen, cshl, etc) and I'm supposed to decide by friday whether or not to accept the NIH offer. I know a lot of these programs are absurdly competitive, should I just take the NIH offer to be safe or try my luck?

Some other info: junior, ivy, ~3.9 gpa, ~3ish years of research experience, 2 years in the same lab with 1 pub (3rd author) and I'm now working on an independent project

All depends on whether this NIH lab is your top choice or not. If it were me since there are some other programs I'm interested in, I would decline and wait for other programs to release their decisions. It sounds like you're a very competitive applicant so you might be able to afford to do this; furthermore, you can continue emailing NIH PIs later this Spring when you are ready to accept an offer or perhaps one will give you more time to make a decision.

If you feel this offer would be your top choice regardless of the outcome of other program decisions then take it and run and be happy that the waiting game is over!

Either way, congratulations on the success! I need to start emailing NIH PIs asap myself.

Some other info: junior, ivy, ~3.9 gpa, ~3ish years of research experience, 2 years in the same lab with 1 pub (3rd author) and I'm now working on an independent project
What is your reason for wanting to do a summer program? If you have your own project at your university, why not stay and make as much progress on it during the summer where you have less obligations like class?

I would say go for the summer program if you want to branch out, experience a new field, meet new people, etc but if you want to do it to boost your app, it will likely not have much bonus especially since you already have a 3rd author pub (i.e. in order to boost your research strength further, it would pretty much come down to getting more papers with good authorship and perhaps give some invited talks here n there).

If I were you, I would just stick it out at home and try to push out a first author before you graduate. It will follow you forever, including when you apply for residency. 3rd author is good for undergrad but is hardly anything later down the road, so you could get a big headstart if you can come out with a 1st author paper. (and no, you shouldn't discount the idea just because it won't be done before you apply to medical school if you are not taking a gap year).

What is your reason for wanting to do a summer program? If you have your own project at your university, why not stay and make as much progress on it during the summer where you have less obligations like class?

I would say go for the summer program if you want to branch out, experience a new field, meet new people, etc but if you want to do it to boost your app, it will likely not have much bonus especially since you already have a 3rd author pub (i.e. in order to boost your research strength further, it would pretty much come down to getting more papers with good authorship and perhaps give some invited talks here n there).

If I were you, I would just stick it out at home and try to push out a first author before you graduate. It will follow you forever, including when you apply for residency. 3rd author is good for undergrad but is hardly anything later down the road, so you could get a big headstart if you can come out with a 1st author paper. (and no, you shouldn't discount the idea just because it won't be done before you apply to medical school if you are not taking a gap year).

That's a good point. I'm taking a gap year and I'm pretty sure the project won't be done by the time I apply. But I've spent the past two summers already working in the same lab. With just one summer left I would like to see the much larger world of research I know nothing about. Also, my school only lets you receive the general SURF/whatever funding once, and because I've already used that up that I'd have to apply for a more competitive fellowship or something.

That's a good point. I'm taking a gap year and I'm pretty sure the project won't be done by the time I apply. But I've spent the past two summers already working in the same lab. With just one summer left I would like to see the much larger world of research I know nothing about. Also, my school only lets you receive the general SURF/whatever funding once, and because I've already used that up that I'd have to apply for a more competitive fellowship or something.
You have 1.5 years from now until you apply since you are taking a gap year. That is a pretty good chunk of time and you appear to be an above average guy even by SDN standards. I would recommend not basing your summer decision on whether you will get your home project done before you apply; there are no guarantees in research and even if you did the summer program instead, it wouldn't really help your app anymore than not having that line on the amcas. FWIW, I stayed at my home university summer after junior year working long hours and was able to get a first author basic science paper published in the middle of the app cycle which led to updates. I couldn't be happier. It's uncommon to see 1st author basic science papers in decent journals even for residency applicants, let alone undergrads. If I were you, I'd take a risk and go with your independent project because the worst thing that would happen is you don't have a summer program to jot down on the app and you have no paper out of your independent project. You would still gain more in-depth skills working on your own project and presumably a better LOR.

Other option is to apply for some VERY competitive summer programs, such as HHMI Janelia Farms which takes, if I remember correctly, 8-10 students from around the world. If you get it, go and, if you don't, stay.

Anyhow, don't just take my advice, you should talk to your lab mentor, others on SDN, etc before you make a good choice.

What's your plan for the gap year?

Thanks for all of the advice! Are you in the middle of applying right now?
Unfortunately Janiela's deadline was 1/7. Do you know any other programs like it?

I was planning on just working for a year as a research assistant or something along those lines. I don't have a ton of clinical experience outside of shadowing so I was also considering trying to find something more clinical instead.

Unfortunately Janiela's deadline was 1/7. Do you know any other programs like it?

I was planning on just working for a year as a research assistant or something along those lines. I don't have a ton of clinical experience outside of shadowing so I was also considering trying to find something more clinical instead.

Amgen programs are extremely prestigious as well. Besides those, Harvard's SROH and SHURP are up there, and if you want to do more pharma research you could apply to the Novartis program.

Amgen programs are extremely prestigious as well. Besides those, Harvard's SROH and SHURP are up there, and if you want to do more pharma research you could apply to the Novartis program.
Actually, I would say Amgen is upper tier for summer programs but it is not that prestigious (and certainly not prestigious enough to make a difference in your app). Part of the reason for this is that Amgen and a lot of other programs are not meant for pre-meds, they are meant for future PhDs and MD/PhDs. I'm pretty sure I remember a year ago LizzyM said she had never heard of it. If you really want name recognition, go with HHMI or NIH.

Yes I am :) The wait is realllll.

I also took a gap year. I don't know of any specific summer programs that are as competitive as Janelia Farms (Amgen is a piece of cake compared to Janelia). You might be able to try your luck on Google.

You should definitely strengthen weak areas such as clinical experience starting now, because what you accomplish in your gap year won't really be on your application. There's tons of nice gap year opportunities if you're into research; NIH IRTA is a solid program for example.

Yes I am :) The wait is realllll.

I also took a gap year. I don't know of any specific summer programs that are as competitive as Janelia Farms (Amgen is a piece of cake compared to Janelia). You might be able to try your luck on Google.

You should definitely strengthen weak areas such as clinical experience starting now, because what you accomplish in your gap year won't really be on your application. There's tons of nice gap year opportunities if you're into research; NIH IRTA is a solid program for example.

The main research gap year program for research I've heard people do is NIH IRTA. What other opportunities are out there at the same level or better? Curious since I'm not close to graduating (I'm a junior) but plan on taking a year off.