Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another Dilemna

U of Montana (research)
Travel paid
housing paid
food paid
4500 stipend
9weeks

SMDEP (not research)
Yale
housing paid
food paid
$100 for travel
$500 stipend
6weeks

p.s. I live in socal so i will most likely have trouble adjusting to montana. Oh and im a freshman

I would go for Montana, hands down. $4500 stipend vs $500...plus it's research, and you get to build up your research experience early as a freshman.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go for Montana, hands down. $4500 stipend vs $500...plus it's research, and you get to build up your research experience early as a freshman.

I totally agree. It's difficult enough to find a decent research position, but to get one as early as the summer after your freshman year? I think Montana is the best choice.

Another Dilemna

U of Montana (research)
Travel paid
housing paid
food paid
4500 stipend
9weeks

SMDEP (not research)
Yale
housing paid
food paid
$100 for travel
$500 stipend
6weeks

p.s. I live in socal so i will most likely have trouble adjusting to montana. Oh and im a freshman

Montana, without a doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another Dilemna

U of Montana (research)
Travel paid
housing paid
food paid
4500 stipend
9weeks

SMDEP (not research)
Yale
housing paid
food paid
$100 for travel
$500 stipend
6weeks

lol I thought that $500 was a typo, but it really is the stipend wow. Even though the location sucks, I say Montana.

Dilemma: Which would you pick?

Costa Rica
travel expenses paid
meals paid
research experience
last up to 6 weeks
no stipend

REU in Cal Poly
meals paid
travel paid
stipend $4800
research 10 weeks
Costa Rica for sure! Unless you've already been there a bunch or the research is terrible or something.
Although the $4800 does sound tempting. But when would you ever get the chance to do research in Costa Rica again?

Yeah, that's how my morning went. Turn off my alarm, check my email, read "I regret to inform you..." from Columbia Amgen. Cheers to that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! For all of you accepted into a program and doing some sort of research this summer, are you also considering taking some kind of online MCAT review course? I am considering it, but somewhat oblivious to the 'free time' I'll have. Interested in everyones' opinion.

Btw, I'll be in Gateways to the Lab.@Weill Cornell.

Gracias!

Well, I just received an e-mail from Pitt SURP saying I'm on the waitlist. If anyone is still waiting on this.

I e-mailed them and asked for an expedited decision when I was deciding on UCSD. So, apparently they don't check or acknowledge their e-mail. But, whatever!

I hope this helps someone! :)
:luck:

Yeah, that's how my morning went. Turn off my alarm, check my email, read "I regret to inform you..." from Columbia Amgen. Cheers to that!
Same!

"Good Morning,

I regret to inform you that you were not selected to receive an Amgen Scholarship for the upcoming summer. We had far, far more outstanding applicants than available scholarships this year."

I'm leaning towards Costa Rica now. Thanks for your votes and opinions, unless the research is really terrible. I guess I can spend the remaining parts of my summer working and trying to find a gf :)

So after talking to a prof at Harvard, it looks like I'm interning with him at MGH for the summer! :D

The ironic thing is that all of these programs I applied to was a huge waste of time, but whatever. I don't exactly know anyone else going there this summer. PM me if you're going there as well and wanna chill. I kinda want to meet other students but I think it'll be hard as I'm not in a summer program per se.

I'm leaning towards Costa Rica now. Thanks for your votes and opinions, unless the research is really terrible. I guess I can spend the remaining parts of my summer working and trying to find a gf :)

Good luck. I'll be doing this too haha

So after talking to a prof at Harvard, it looks like I'm interning with him at MGH for the summer! :D

The ironic thing is that all of these programs I applied to was a huge waste of time, but whatever. I don't exactly know anyone else going there this summer. PM me if you're going there as well and wanna chill. I kinda want to meet other students but I think it'll be hard as I'm not in a summer program per se.

Congratulations! How did you get that position, if you don't mind me asking?

Trying to find a BF count? I feel like you are at such an advantage... Women want men to take care of them, so if you tell them you want to be a doctor they love you.

Men I've met are still afraid of women who want to do more than just be a stay at home mother/wife. So FML for now.

It's mostly about sharing the excitement of life with someone. OOOooooohhhh so cheesy today, but I gotta get it out. :)

Trying to find a BF count? I feel like you are at such an advantage... Women want men to take care of them, so if you tell them you want to be a doctor they love you.

Men I've met are still afraid of women who want to do more than just be a stay at home mother/wife. So FML for now.

It's mostly about sharing the excitement of life with someone. OOOooooohhhh so cheesy today, but I gotta get it out. :)

wut is this. i don't even....:confused:

Well, I just received an e-mail from Pitt SURP saying I'm on the waitlist. If anyone is still waiting on this.

I e-mailed them and asked for an expedited decision when I was deciding on UCSD. So, apparently they don't check or acknowledge their e-mail. But, whatever!

I hope this helps someone! :)
:luck:

I have not heard anything from them.I wonder if they do it in batches?
But,good luck! :)

Congratulations! How did you get that position, if you don't mind me asking?
Cold call email. I just happened to have research experience in two very different areas and the prof's lab worked at the intersection of those areas. Don't wanna say the exact field as there aren't many people doing this work.

Got my columbia amgen rejection email today too. I had already counted them out...at least they didn't silent reject right?

Did anyone hear from Sinai yet, I want to know :/

If you're given the choice between UCSF Amgen (basically the most prestigious Amgen I'd assume) and a research program at a medical school/hospital in Germany, which would you choose? (And factoring into account which program would make you a stronger applicant for med school)

This is assuming the same amount of stipend, same length of research, housing provided, etc.

If you're given the choice between UCSF Amgen (basically the most prestigious Amgen I'd assume) and a research program at a medical school/hospital in Germany, which would you choose? (And factoring into account which program would make you a stronger applicant for med school)

This is assuming the same amount of stipend, same length of research, housing provided, etc.

UCSF. Is your other program DAAD RISE?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

Personally, UCSF since I have no interest in going to Germany. But if it's a country that you really want to explore, do DAAD. An international experience is priceless.

Doing research abroad is a new experience, which is a lot more meaningful. I would go abroad. You'll be in the US for medical school and what not. Going abroad is the best thing you can do for yourself to get new perspective.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SDN Mobile

Learn German, go to UCSF, and pretend that you don't know any English. That way you get the best of both worlds...

Why do you think ucsf is the most prestigious amgen?? Not dogging it or anything, but I'd think that columbia, MIT, and stanford would be the top amgens, but heck if I know.

Anyways, I agree with daze. Going abroad can definitely help set your application apart from others. Plenty of med. school applicants will be doing research in the US, but not nearly as many will be able to say they did research in Germany

Why do you think ucsf is the most prestigious amgen?? Not dogging it or anything, but I'd think that columbia, MIT, and stanford would be the top amgens, but heck if I know.

Anyways, I agree with daze. Going abroad can definitely help set your application apart from others. Plenty of med. school applicants will be doing research in the US, but not nearly as many will be able to say they did research in Germany

I only figured since UCSF is itself a prestigious med school dedicated solely to health and biomedical sciences that it'd be the one looked upon most highly, but then again that's my personal opinion—same here, heck if I know for certain :)

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. Going abroad is something I definitely want to do so it'd be nice to do that and get in some good research along the way.

I remember hearing somewhere that UCSF has the lowest acceptance rate among all of the amgens, but I could just be making that up...however, I don't think that necessarily makes it the most prestigious anyways.

I only figured since UCSF is itself a prestigious med school dedicated solely to health and biomedical sciences that it'd be the one looked upon most highly, but then again that's my personal opinion—same here, heck if I know for certain :)

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. Going abroad is something I definitely want to do so it'd be nice to do that and get in some good research along the way.
true, true, I see what you guys are saying. Saying you're an amgen scholar is pretty cool on its own regardless of what school you're at for sure though lol

Received Colorado State REU rejection today. Emailed Rochester SSP and was told that they'd send out the rest of the decisions by the end of the month; emailed Baylor SMART and was told that the rest of the selection process would take about two weeks.

Wow that's a hefty list! Congratulations! I've accepted UCSD Amgens-Might see you there!

BTW, The link UCSD Amgen sent me led me to another site where I then accepted the offer. I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail regarding whether or not Its been finalized! Should i be worried?! I may be overly prudent but wanna play safe!
I did the same and received no confirmation, but spoke with the office and it came through! No worries :)

Do me, do me!

1. biological medicine lab work (not research) at a pharmaceutical company (molecular biology)
2. REU internship (neuroscience)

Pharmaceutical company pays 3 times more than REU, but I'm leaning towards REU because it's more prestigious/better for my resume for medical school.

But if y'all think medical schools consider both to be of the same weight, then I would probably choose the one with the higher pay.

Do me, do me!

1. biological medicine lab work (not research) at a pharmaceutical company (molecular biology)
2. REU internship (neuroscience)

Pharmaceutical company pays 3 times more than REU, but I'm leaning towards REU because it's more prestigious/better for my resume for medical school.

But if y'all think medical schools consider both to be of the same weight, then I would probably choose the one with the higher pay.

It's not about 'more prestigious school our more money' it's so much bigger than this! ;):cool::)

Ps. This is not an angry tone at all, more like a grandpa passing on advice.

What is more significant to you? What do you think will help you find yourself (where you want to live, school size, environment, area of specialization etc.) Better. What will you be more passionate about discussing in your interviews? What has more to offer for what you want? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, but look beyond the name a little more. This will help you the most.

I chose based off of what would get me out of my comfort zone more. Since this is only a few month commitment and I personally learn best by doing something unfamiliar. I knew this would be best in the long run.

Does this help you at all? I'm really not lecturing you, I'm just saying it's bigger than a name or money. :) I hope you get closer to you're choice!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SDN Mobile

For those of you who need help choosing a program because you are stumped or are simply trying to get over your rejections, here is a bit of stress relief I just stumbled upon.

http://garyc.me/bring/

Enough with the prestige nonsense, people. Whatever "prestige" difference there may be will probably make absolutely no impact on your application. It's about what you got out of the experience. Who cares what program you did if you can't talk knowledgeably/enthusiastically about the research?

Enough with the prestige nonsense, people. Whatever "prestige" difference there may be will probably make absolutely no impact on your application. It's about what you got out of the experience.

Would you choose Wyoming REU over Mass Gen? Exactly.

Cold call email. I just happened to have research experience in two very different areas and the prof's lab worked at the intersection of those areas. Don't wanna say the exact field as there aren't many people doing this work.

I'm from Boston and since I got rejected from all the NYC programs, I'll be in Boston this summer!

Good luck to you too :) Here is hope that our ambitions don't get in the way of this.

You definitely need to get out more. Who knows you might find somebody awesome in one of those summer programs.

Back on topic:

Just got rejected by Berkeley yesterday.

Thank you for applying to the 2013 Amgen Scholars Summer Research Program at UC Berkeley. I regret to inform you that the Amgen Selection Committee was unable to offer you a position in this year's program. Overall, the summer program could not accommodate the numerous applicants who applied for the limited positions available. UC Berkeley wishes you the best in your future academic endeavors and research pursuits.

Who has the same letter?

Would you choose Wyoming REU over Mass Gen? Exactly.

I'd choose Mass Gen because that would be the better experience. It's easily a better location/has stronger research. But when it's comparable programs like UCSF Amgen vs Columbia Leadership Alliance or something like that? Please. Imaginary prestige differences should not be part of the discussion.

sweet.I'm guessing you're an Amgen Scholar at UCSD too? Excited? cause I know I am!

You definitely need to get out more. Who knows you might find somebody awesome in one of those summer programs.

Back on topic:

Just got rejected by Berkeley yesterday.

Thank you for applying to the 2013 Amgen Scholars Summer Research Program at UC Berkeley. I regret to inform you that the Amgen Selection Committee was unable to offer you a position in this year's program. Overall, the summer program could not accommodate the numerous applicants who applied for the limited positions available. UC Berkeley wishes you the best in your future academic endeavors and research pursuits.

Who has the same letter?

:(

8 rejections down, waiting on 7 more programs...

Is anyone going to be at UMass Med in Worcester this summer?