Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2013

Started by La Presse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to you too 🙂 Here is hope that our ambitions don't get in the way of this.



You definitely need to get out more. Who knows you might find somebody awesome in one of those summer programs.

Back on topic:

Just got rejected by Berkeley yesterday.

Thank you for applying to the 2013 Amgen Scholars Summer Research Program at UC Berkeley. I regret to inform you that the Amgen Selection Committee was unable to offer you a position in this year's program. Overall, the summer program could not accommodate the numerous applicants who applied for the limited positions available. UC Berkeley wishes you the best in your future academic endeavors and research pursuits.

Who has the same letter?
Me, too...
I was hoping that since it took so long it would be a favorable response! Oh well. Also kind of weird that it was attached in a PDF.
 
I got accepted to my top choice research internship in NYC, but I'm turning them down (and the other ones I got into) since my plans for the summer have changed.

Hope that someone else on here gets my spot!
 
Me, too...
I was hoping that since it took so long it would be a favorable response! Oh well. Also kind of weird that it was attached in a PDF.

I don't get it either. It's way more effort to put an attach pdf version rather than sending the email directly. Almost thought I got accepted until I opened it up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted to my top choice research internship in NYC, but I'm turning them down (and the other ones I got into) since my plans for the summer have changed.

Hope that someone else on here gets my spot!
Seriously, tell us who you are turning down!
 
Working in my home lab instead since my project proposal got approved 😀

Congrats. 😉

Is anyone waiting on additional decisions? I have one more program I am looking before I make my final decision.


Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.
 
Has anyone heard from Wisconsin SPUR? I have to send another program my decision by 5 pm, so I was really hoping to hear from Wisconsin by now.
 
Congrats. 😉

Is anyone waiting on additional decisions? I have one more program I am looking before I make my final decision.


Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

I'm waiting for unl srp, Oregon spur, and umbc. If I dont hear from them by April 1, I'm just going to assume silent rejection.
 
I'm still waiting on some MHIRT programs (one of them is my top choice), Columbia Public Health (not banking on this one anymore), and a couple of others.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard from UCSF Amgen? Their website says results come on a rolling basis starting March 15th but my application still says "Under Review". I'm not sure if that means I didn't get it or not, but I need to know so I can make decisions about other places... If you know anything, let me know! Thanks 🙂
 
Has anyone heard from UCSF Amgen? Their website says results come on a rolling basis starting March 15th but my application still says "Under Review". I'm not sure if that means I didn't get it or not, but I need to know so I can make decisions about other places... If you know anything, let me know! Thanks 🙂

I sent them an email a few days ago asking about the status of my application and they never responded. Maybe try calling?
 
Has anyone heard from UCSF Amgen? Their website says results come on a rolling basis starting March 15th but my application still says "Under Review". I'm not sure if that means I didn't get it or not, but I need to know so I can make decisions about other places... If you know anything, let me know! Thanks 🙂

Try calling. I called them about 2 weeks ago for an expedited decision since I had to respond to another offer and they told me my decision on the phone.
 
Anyone goin to Dartmouth for the summer? ASURE/leadership alliance?

I applied to ASURE, haven't heard back yet. Still waiting on Harvard SHURP, Tufts BDBS, UChicago and Harvard Leadership Alliance, and Sinai. Agh. Anyone else still waiting to hear on those programs/already heard back?
 
I applied to ASURE, haven't heard back yet. Still waiting on Harvard SHURP, Tufts BDBS, UChicago and Harvard Leadership Alliance, and Sinai. Agh. Anyone else still waiting to hear on those programs/already heard back?

I haven't heard anything from Chicago Leadership Alliance either, though there was someone here about 3 weeks ago who got an acceptance.
 
Where'd you get that info?

Research threads from previous years. 😉

Plus I am a bit biased since NYU is involved. Do a quick search. I am fairly certain, however, that Sackler receives more apps that UCSD Amgen (~1200 for a total of 30 spots on average.)
 
AH, i see. I meant in terms of ranking in medical research. I know where they both rank in terms of med school but not too sure about research. But thanks 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard from UCSF Amgen? Their website says results come on a rolling basis starting March 15th but my application still says "Under Review". I'm not sure if that means I didn't get it or not, but I need to know so I can make decisions about other places... If you know anything, let me know! Thanks 🙂

I called a few days back and the lady said that she is still waiting for the waitlist, and she will call me back in a couple of days...well no call yet. But hopefully soon -_-

Anyone hear anything from Sinai?!
 
I still haven't heard back from U Wash Amgens. NOT COOL!

Yesterday the lady I talked to when I called was REALLY nice and she told me to email them so that she could send me more information about my status.... And then I never heard from her again heh. I know that at least some acceptances have been sent out already.
 
Has anyone heard from UCSF Amgen? Their website says results come on a rolling basis starting March 15th but my application still says "Under Review". I'm not sure if that means I didn't get it or not, but I need to know so I can make decisions about other places... If you know anything, let me know! Thanks 🙂

I just got an email from UCSF about a half hour ago, letting me know that I had "1 unread message(s) from the 2013 Summer Research Programs program". I had figured it was some sort of automated rejection, especially this late in the game, but surprisingly it was an acceptance! I've already accepted somewhere else, so I'm going to have to decline.

tl;dr The good news is UCSF is still sending out acceptances and there will be at least one more spot open! Good :luck: y'all!
 
Here's my question: Why does the "prestige" of the program matter?

Because if you're looking at doing research, things such as mentorship quality, PI support, project independence, and the quality of experience gained seem to be more important than the ability of the program to reject a massive number of candidates.
 
I was admitted to UCSF a few hours ago too. I haven't signed anything legally binding with my other summer program so I'll probably accept UCSF.
 
Here's my question: Why does the "prestige" of the program matter?

Because if you're looking at doing research, things such as mentorship quality, PI support, project independence, and the quality of experience gained seem to be more important than the ability of the program to reject a massive number of candidates.
Generally, I don't think the actual program carries prestige. The institution you worked at for the summer, however, may obviously carry some weight or prestige I'm guessing. Working at John Hopkins would obviously look good on an app, but whether it's through an internship or a student program, I don't think that matters much.

The one exception I'd make to this is perhaps for some programs like Sinai (but solely for the acceptance of students to Sinai) as they would probably recognize a competitive program from their own school, but this is just speculative. I guess this also because I think you need to do their summer program to be eligible for early admissions.
 
Generally, I don't think the actual program carries prestige. The institution you worked at for the summer, however, may obviously carry some weight or prestige I'm guessing. Working at John Hopkins would obviously look good on an app, but whether it's through an internship or a student program, I don't think that matters much.

Sorry for not being clearer earlier. I meant to say that the prestige of the institution combined with the selectivity of the program have less of an impact on the quality of the experience gained from the program than the other factors I mentioned above.

EDIT: Just re-read what I said above, and realized it's a bunch of confusing garbage. I was just trying to say that prestige of institution =/= value of program
 
Last edited:
Still desperately waiting for a decision from MUSC SURP (top choice); should be less than a week now. I'll finally be able to fully commit to my other program once I hear a decision (if it's an acceptance, I'll have to turn the other REU down).

I really hate having one program "on the hook" like this
 
I called a few days back and the lady said that she is still waiting for the waitlist, and she will call me back in a couple of days...well no call yet. But hopefully soon -_-

Anyone hear anything from Sinai?!
I called Sinai today and she said they are still making decisions. I have to accept my other program by Monday so I'd like to hear back one way or another but it sounds like there are still some spots! Because otherwise she probably wouldn't have told me they were still making decisions.
 
Why?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SDN Mobile

I would personally choose NYU just because of location (close to home, in NYC), all other things being level. "Prestige" is the same I would say for them both.


I hope I am in a position to be making such a decision soon -_-
 
Just called Harvard SHURP and spoke with the coordinator (she was super nice) and said that right now, only a handful of students have been notified due to some delay, and she took my name down and said that they'll probably get back to us next week. The program director is out this week apparently.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just called Harvard SHURP and spoke with the coordinator (she was super nice) and said that right now, only a handful of students have been notified due to some delay, and she took my name down and said that they'll probably get back to us next week. The program director is out this week apparently.

I did that two weeks ago, and heard the same things but never got any results this week.