Summer Research between M1/M2 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsamuel104

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a question. So due to family and life, I really want to do research in the same city that I went to undergrad. I do have the opportunity to continue the research project I did as an undergraduate, but I will have more responsibilities and will be able to do a few more procedures that I couldn't do as an undergraduate. Now the research is regarding methylation studies as it applies to cancer biomarkers. Would it be unwise moving forward looking at residency applications to return to an undergraduate institution to do research?? I have been asking around but not many people have experience with this and the few that do say it looks good to residencies that you are willing to return and continue a project. It shows dedication. I am not sure what to think. I am planning on primary care or general surgery, so I know I don't need any type of specific fields of research, so if anyone has any experience or knows about my situation or even gone through something similar, I would greatly appreciate any and all guidance/advice. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how this would be a bad thing, students apply to research programs at other universities all the time.

I don't see how this would be a bad thing, students apply to research programs at other universities all the time.
Thank you for your response! That's certainly true. I just wasn't sure because as a medical student, I don't know how it looks to residencies to return to my undergraduate institution to do my summer research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! That's certainly true. I just wasn't sure because as a medical student, I don't know how it looks to residencies to return to my undergraduate institution to do my summer research.

It's completely fine. Quality of research is everything. Sounds like you already know what you're doing project-wise, which can be helpful since the summer is so short. Better odds of being productive. Go for it.

It's completely fine. Quality of research is everything. Sounds like you already know what you're doing project-wise, which can be helpful since the summer is so short. Better odds of being productive. Go for it.
Thank you for your response! Yea, it is definitely a comfort to now that I will be continuing a project that I have already made a lot of progress on as an undergrad. I am still keeping up with what is currently going on as others have taken over the project and if I were to go back I would definitely know what I would be doing next.