SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

Who else is applying here? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am, conditionally. The other schools I am applying to are all early interviewers so I will probably know if I got in by December. If so, I won't even bother to do the UB-SUNY supplemental. This is my backup school, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invited for November :)

11/11?? I got my response really quickly from the school too. do you know if this is the first round of interviews?? really nervous as its my first one!

ill be there 11/11 also, i think we are the first round. i also think that the questions they ask you are somewhere on SDN

yes, it is the first round of interviews! good luck

What do you guys think about the out-of-state tuition for P2? I heard it is 36K.

I like that they give you your first year's tuition as an undergrad, even if you already have a degree. But, yeah, then it goes up. I think it averages out though, at least if you're out of state, like I would be.

ill be there 11/11 also, i think we are the first round. i also think that the questions they ask you are somewhere on SDN

I'll be there on November 11th as well! If you have any questions about the school or the area, I am from the area, and this is my third year at UB. Good luck!

I'm a P1 at UB and also an out-of-state student (hello by the way!)
For the tuition stuff, I've heard from upperclassmen that it's not hard to get in-state tuition after the first year, they've all done it before, so I'll be applying for NY residency next year. Tuition should be ~19-20k then (fingers crossed) :rolleyes:
If you have any question about the program/my thoughts about the city (since I'm also new here) or anything else concerning UB, feel free to send me a PM or just ask here!

Last edited:
I'm a P1 at UB and also an out-of-state student (hello by the way!)
For the tuition stuff, I've heard from upperclassmen that it's not hard to get in-state tuition after the first year, they've all done it before, so I'll be applying for NY residency next year. Tuition should be ~19-20k then (fingers crossed) :rolleyes:
If you have any question about the program/my thoughts about the city (since I'm also new here) or anything else concerning UB, feel free to send me a PM or just ask here!

What is your personal opinion and experience been like since living in Buffalo. How does the city compares to your own city?

@amicable7: I like it so far. I'm from LA and went to undergrad. in LA but am not really an LA-type person, so I wanted to be in a smaller city for pharmacy school (got an interview from UM but declined because I didn't think I'd want to be in Baltimore, another really big city :D). The pace here is laid-back and the people are pretty nice; if you're from one of the bigger cities (LA, NY city, Chicago, etc.) you might feel like there are less to do here, but it's fine with me personally. I'm actually most worried about the weather in the winter since it'll be my first full winter in the snow. I'll be able to get back to you about that part in the spring I suppose :p
Another thing that some of my Californian classmates don't like is the lack of Asian/Hispanic food around here. There are several restaurants, but they're not abundant like other areas more populated by Asians/Hispanics. So I guess this and the weather would be my main complaints as far as the location is concerned.

Oh and there's Niagara Falls, which is gorgeous :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@amicable7: I like it so far. I'm from LA and went to undergrad. in LA but am not really an LA-type person, so I wanted to be in a smaller city for pharmacy school (got an interview from UM but declined because I didn't think I'd want to be in Baltimore, another really big city :D). The pace here is laid-back and the people are pretty nice; if you're from one of the bigger cities (LA, NY city, Chicago, etc.) you might feel like there are less to do here, but it's fine with me personally. I'm actually most worried about the weather in the winter since it'll be my first full winter in the snow. I'll be able to get back to you about that part in the spring I suppose :p
Another thing that some of my Californian classmates don't like is the lack of Asian/Hispanic food around here. There are several restaurants, but they're not abundant like other areas more populated by Asians/Hispanics. So I guess this and the weather would be my main complaints as far as the location is concerned.

Oh and there's Niagara Falls, which is gorgeous :)

Oh ok. I think the lack Asian/Hispanic food will be a problem for me too. I just love them. I also prefer a small city in order to be away from all the distractions. Thanks for the reply.

Hey guys, would you mind posting up your stats? I want to see how I stand in comparison with students who are getting interviews :)

I have a question about the curriculum for next years' class. The website says it will be "significantly modified" from the current curriculum. Anyone have any more information on the changes they're making?

I'm going there on the 11th too. Wish everyone the best!!!:luck:

I have a question about the curriculum for next years' class. The website says it will be "significantly modified" from the current curriculum. Anyone have any more information on the changes they're making?

Hi, I will be interviewing there on Friday, so if I am able to find out, I can let you know. What I do know is that the current P1 students are taking Biochem and Physio this semester. Those are now prerequisites, so that will go away, but I do not know what will be replacing the classes.

Hi, I will be interviewing there on Friday, so if I am able to find out, I can let you know. What I do know is that the current P1 students are taking Biochem and Physio this semester. Those are now prerequisites, so that will go away, but I do not know what will be replacing the classes.

Yeah, although they are taking Biochem and Physio this semester, students of next academic year will also have to take it regardless. I know a lot of schools have biochem and physio in the first year although they are required as a pre-req course. The physio in Pharmacy school is not the one taught in undergrad. It focuses mainly on drugs.

I attend UB, and am taking both classes as prerequisites with the current P1 students so at least for UB students, they are the same. Maybe it will be different if you take your prerequisites somewhere else, but I know that if I get accepted, I won't be taking it as a P1.

Last edited:
On the new curriculum, as far as I know (with the updates so far), P1 for the next year will be taking Pathophysiology taught by the School of Pharmacy (so more focused on the pathology as opposed to general physio. I suppose) and Pharmacology to replace what we're taking right now (Physio and Biochem, with undergrad). So next year, P2's will be taking Pharmacology with P1's, and the class will be huge, like ~ 250 people or smth... Good thing is most pharmacy classes aren't curved the way undergrad. classes are, so you don't have to worry about P2 "competing" against P1's.

Also, next year we'll move to a new building where there's a simulation center and pharmacy students will have the chance to work with medical & nursing students on some sort of simulation project.

One other major thing is they're eliminating the word "track" (if you look on the website you might have seen research track, outpatient, inpatient track, etc.) Now you can just take whatever electives that you'd like instead of being rigidly restricted to a "track". Ex. If I'd like an inpatient focus I can go ahead and take those focused classes, but if I'm interested in a particular outpatient class I have the option to take that as well.

Last edited:
On the new curriculum, as far as I know (with the updates so far), P1 for the next year will be taking Pathophysiology taught by the School of Pharmacy (so more focused on the pathology as opposed to general physio. I suppose) and Pharmacology to replace what we're taking right now (Physio and Biochem, with undergrad). So next year, P2's will be taking Pharmacology with P1's, and the class will be huge, like ~ 250 people or smth... Good thing is most pharmacy classes aren't curved the way undergrad. classes are, so you don't have to worry about P2 "competing" against P1's.

Also, next year we'll move to a new building where there's a simulation center and pharmacy students will have the chance to work with medical & nursing students on some sort of simulation project.

One other major thing is they're eliminating the word "track" (if you look on the website you might have seen research track, outpatient, inpatient track, etc.) Now you can just take whatever electives that you'd like instead of being rigidly restricted to a "track". Ex. If I'd like an inpatient focus I can go ahead and take those focused classes, but if I'm interested in a particular outpatient class I have the option to take that as well.

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if there is a better method of getting from the airport to the campus besides a taxi?

Does anyone know if there is a better method of getting from the airport to the campus besides a taxi?

According to the bus schedule here (Popular locations, Buffalo Niagara Intl Airport for departure, UB North for destination), you can take the bus (1 transfer), but it takes approximately 2 hours. Public transportation in Buffalo isn't the best, so that's to be expected... Maybe you could email the admission office to see if anyone's arriving at the airport around the same time you do so you guys can take a taxi together?

Good luck to everyone interviewing this Friday!

If anyone want to share a taxi with me on Friday please let me know, I will be in the airport around 9 am. Good Luck to everyone!!!

I've got a question about interview dates. Anyone know how often they host them? The problem is I was offerred an interview the same day as wisconson's interview day, and they only interview one Thursday/Friday for the whole cycle. So I was wonderring if anyone knew any other days UB interviewed in january. I don't want it to be an issue I I ask for a different date. Thanks!

If anyone want to share a taxi with me on Friday please let me know, I will be in the airport around 9 am. Good Luck to everyone!!!

I will totally be down for splitting a taxi! That seems like it may be the easiest/most reliable option- feel free to send me an email at [email protected] so we can plan this!

I've got a question about interview dates. Anyone know how often they host them? The problem is I was offerred an interview the same day as wisconson's interview day, and they only interview one Thursday/Friday for the whole cycle. So I was wonderring if anyone knew any other days UB interviewed in january. I don't want it to be an issue I I ask for a different date. Thanks!

If Wisconsin only has that 1 interview day, I would contact UB admission and ask to re-schedule. They do have more interview days coming up in the Spring, that's all I know :)

Wow, so the next interview date after November will be January? Also have you had an interview offer from Wisconsin yet?

ouch, um I would call and ask them what to do. You would like to be honest with them because if they find out on their own they will probably take into consideration that you didn't tell them the whole truth. I just had my interview on the 11th and got an acceptance on the 15th. They are really nice, just call and find out.

ouch, um I would call and ask them what to do. You would like to be honest with them because if they find out on their own they will probably take into consideration that you didn't tell them the whole truth. I just had my interview on the 11th and got an acceptance on the 15th. They are really nice, just call and find out.

Second this.
I would say call/email them. Personally if your GPA is pretty good I wouldn't worry too much about the PCAT; it's all about balance. I would just let them know so you don't have to worry about the whole covering up your score being an issue at all. :)

Wow, so the next interview date after November will be January? Also have you had an interview offer from Wisconsin yet?

I rescheduled my SUNY invitation for Jan 27. I haven't been assigned a day yet for Wisconsin, but they only hold them Jan 12 and 13. They don't notify anyone of their assigned interview date until mid-December but I know I will be attending.

Has anybody who is not a current UB student been able to pay the tuition deposit through their online.system?

Has anybody who is not a current UB student been able to pay the tuition deposit through their online.system?
Did they change the system this year? Because last year I remember sending in my deposit through mail and paying online wasn't even an option :oops: I would contact Christine Stumm, she should be able to fix it/direct you to the best way.
Congrats on your acceptance BTW! Look forward to seeing you guys next year (and we'll be in the same pharmacology class, no worries LOL)

Last edited:

I interviewed on 11/11 and received my acceptance email on 11/15. The acceptance email sent on 11/15 had specific instructions on how to submit the deposit, but I just recently received another email on 11/18 that said:

"You will soon receive an acknowledgement from “GRADMIT” (UB’s online graduate application system) requesting that you update your biographic/demographic data including your Social Security Number for financial aid purposes. Once completed, the system will generate a UB person number that you should use to pay the tuition deposit. "

So I believe this means that we should wait for the GRADMIT email? It seems like they are still trying to set up/finalize the system.

After you interview, how long does it take to hear back about acceptance? And if accepted, how soon do you have to accept the acceptance and/or pay a deposit? And how much is the deposit?

After you interview, how long does it take to hear back about acceptance? And if accepted, how soon do you have to accept the acceptance and/or pay a deposit? And how much is the deposit?

After the interview on a Friday, I heard back on Tuesday. Then we were given until Friday of the following week to reply.

The deposit is $150.

I interviewed on 11/11 and received my acceptance email on 11/15. The acceptance email sent on 11/15 had specific instructions on how to submit the deposit, but I just recently received another email on 11/18 that said:

"You will soon receive an acknowledgement from “GRADMIT” (UB’s online graduate application system) requesting that you update your biographic/demographic data including your Social Security Number for financial aid purposes. Once completed, the system will generate a UB person number that you should use to pay the tuition deposit. "

So I believe this means that we should wait for the GRADMIT email? It seems like they are still trying to set up/finalize the system.

Alright Thanks.

Did they change the system this year? Because last year I remember sending in my deposit through mail and paying online wasn't even an option :oops: I would contact Christine Stumm, she should be able to fix it/direct you to the best way.
Congrats on your acceptance BTW! Look forward to seeing you guys next year (and we'll be in the same pharmacology class, no worries LOL)

Ok Thanks. What do you think about the new building? Also do you know more about the "model pharmacy" thing in the building, is it like a replica of a real-world pharmacy? I personally think the new building is just awesome and it will take the pharmacy student experience to a whole new level.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks. What do you think about the new building? Also do you know more about the "model pharmacy" thing in the building, is it like a replica of a real-world pharmacy? I personally think the new building is just awesome and it will take the pharmacy student experience to a whole new level.

The new building is really pretty, but I haven't been inside, sorry :oops: The model pharmacy as far as I know is part of the simulation center, where pharmacy students work together with medical/nursing students on a simulated body (ex. the body is programmed to go on cardiac arrest and you will work together to "save" that "patient") So basically how it will be performed in a real-world setting (hospital) I guess. Apparently the new building will also have lounges for students (more interaction, yay!!!), and since all the classes will be in the same place it's a lot less traveling back and forth between the two campuses.

I agree, the curriculum for the class of 2016 onwards looks a lot more appealing to me :) The set of new electives is great; I just hope our class will get to do the new curriculum our P3 year too...

I agree, the curriculum for the class of 2016 onwards looks a lot more appealing to me :) The set of new electives is great; I just hope our class will get to do the new curriculum our P3 year too...

Could you share the new curriculum with us? I was wondering about what changes they were making.

Could you share the new curriculum with us? I was wondering about what changes they were making.

You can find the new curriculum here on the UB website
What I like is pathophysiology and pharmacology are catered specifically to pharmacy students, whereas what we're taking right now (biochem and physiology) are just general and aren't as applicable to our field. Seems like they're pushing for therapeutics to be in the first year (spring) too; for us it's our P2 year. Also we don't have the "Patient assessment lab" right now, so I'm really excited for that! :cool:

Hey,
I was in the same position, I couldn't pay it through the online system so I called them and they told me to wait for GRADMIT. I did not receive anything from that either so I called them again and they told me that they have been having problems with sending out the person numbers as we were the first round of people who are admitted. They said that we would receive emails from GRADMIT eventually.

I hope you already did receive it. I later on learned that because I am international I won't be assigned a number (...) until summer. So I had to send in a check for the deposit.

For those that have had interviews / been accepted: how long did it take after all your PharmCAS materials were mailed out before you got an interview?

Never mind just got an interview invite today!! Totally stoked about it :)

Never mind just got an interview invite today!! Totally stoked about it :)

Congratulations and good luck at your interview! I was contacted for an interview the day after they received my application. The interview was a great experience. Everyone was really friendly. Remember to look at the interview feedback from this site. I think every question I was asked was on there.