SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MShopes,

Thank you so much for all your help! Definitely eased my anxiety about the interview a bit....Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Had the interview friday....accepted today....extremely fast. Most likely attending there !

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations!!!:thumbup:

Thank you, seems like you already decided on attending there. One question, how do you supposed to know your financial aid package? Is it included with the mailed letter? I only received an email so far!

Did you fill out FAFSA?

Yea but here is the dilemma. I'm applying to SUNY buffalo and another school. SUNY buffalo considers all 4 years of the program as graduate with regards to tuition and financial aid whereas the other school (LIU) considers the first two of the four years as undergraduate with regards to tuition and financial aid. I did not know what to put in the FAFSA whether I will be a graduate student or not but I heard that the school changes the information if needed to give the best package available.

So I went ahead and mentioned in FAFSA that I will still be undergraduate even though that's wrong for SUNY buffalo. What do you think about my problem?

Interviewing on 3/23. Any tips (besides reading the section on SDN). Also, anyone want to share traveling expenses?

Interviewing on 3/23. Any tips (besides reading the section on SDN). Also, anyone want to share traveling expenses?

Not sure if you read my post in the previous page but here it is in case:

I just had the interview this past friday, March 2nd. Okay here is how the whole day goes briefly. You first go there in a classroom setting and check in, then you go sit in a seat that have your folder on it. Then the director of admission (Hess Jennifer) will come on and introduce herself and introduce UB as well as how the day will go by using powerpoint presentation. After that, you will be required to write a response to a question in 15 minutes (don't worry, it's not all that big deal, and the people who interviewed me rejected to even take that writing sample from me to look at it). After that, all of you will usually be grouped into different groups (group A, group B, group C...etc).

Each group does a different thing at the same time....for example, group A goes to do interview first while group B goes to school tour while group C goes to do group activity (you are given a task and must come up with a solution to the problem in the task with your partner and represent it orally to the other members of your group who also have a task to represent to you, very easy don't worry).

As for the interview itself, it was super friendly, very relaxed environment and doesn't sound formal at all. Two ladies interviewed me; they first introduced themselves and what they do in UB and then told me they are just trying to know me better.We all kept laughing through out the interview and often went out of the interview scope and talk about our personal things. My interview lasted about 45 minutes-1 hour because it was just interesting.

Some of the questions they asked (from their sheet of questions) are:

1) Describe a time when you had to deliver a bad news and how did you deliver it.
2) Describe your best friend for us
3) Describe a situation where you were unsuccessful and how were you able to solve it to make it successful eventually
4) What do you think about the new pharmacy law that allows pharmacists to give immunizations and prescribe medications. For this question, they would just say the new pharmacy law and will wait for you to say what is the law which is basically giving immunizations and prescribe medications. Make them feel that you know the new laws that come up with pharmacy.
5) Tell us about one person, either living or dead, who you would like to interview and what would you like to ask him?
6) How do you deal with stress? Do you usually talk with someone or just deal with it by yourself?

As you can see, these questions are mostly about my personality just to know me better.

These are pretty much all the questions they asked me and then they gave me the chance to ask them any questions. I asked them a question that made them keep answering for about 20 minutes long.

After the interview, we all gathered again in one roam and ate pizza and wings and exchanged phone numbers. We pretty much got to know all of each other.

Amazing school, amazing faculty, amazing people...everything is just nice....EXCEPT for the huge campus that you can easily get lost in lol

BTW, I got accepted today, Monday in the morning...how fast is that lol

UB doesn't consider all four years as undergraduate. Either way, in the recent years the "financial aid award package" isn't finalized for a few months from now. There's no physical package, it's just a list of offers for loans/grants/scholarships/etc. and you go in and accept or decline them. The best you could get is an estimate of what loans your eligible for and an estimate of what they might offer you. Best thing to do is call the financial aid offices, because everyone is going to say something different

UB doesn't consider all four years as undergraduate. Either way, in the recent years the "financial aid award package" isn't finalized for a few months from now. There's no physical package, it's just a list of offers for loans/grants/scholarships/etc. and you go in and accept or decline them. The best you could get is an estimate of what loans your eligible for and an estimate of what they might offer you. Best thing to do is call the financial aid offices, because everyone is going to say something different

Alright, thanks. I will call the financial aid advisor first thing in the morning.

Ok, let us know what they say

Ok, let us know what they say

I gotta wait for them to send me UB person number because apparently, they can't know my identity without this number :rolleyes: I will update you soon

Yeah they don't speak social security number very fluently, and they definitely don't understand what it means for a person to have a "name." This 8 digit number is going to be put on every scan tron you fill out, and they might make it seem like you need to get a tattoo of it on your forehead, but you don't HAVE to haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they don't speak social security number very fluently, and they definitely don't understand what it means for a person to have a "name." This 8 digit number is going to be put on every scan tron you fill out, and they might make it seem like you need to get a tattoo of it on your forehead, but you don't HAVE to haha

:laugh::laugh: I like how they are very fast in everything though, so I dont mind this number. But what do you think about the school, especially the south campus if you have been there since we are the first to move into the new building of pharmacy in the south campus.

South campus is a crap hole, but the new pharm building is nice looking. I'm on south everyday. In the past years pharm students have classes on both north and south, it'll be interesting to see if they do things the rational way next year, but I doubt it haha

i checked out the south campus while i was there for the interview, it definitely looks like its turning out nicely, having high expectations :xf:

Oh the campus is pretty awesome. I was just talking about all the non students that keep wandering on campus and robbing people. But it's expected I suppose

UB went from 21 to 17 on the us news rankings :)

not that i take rankings as gold but i think its a good indication of buffalo's progress, especially with the new kapoor building and the hands on experience it'll bring

UB went from 21 to 17 on the us news rankings :)

not that i take rankings as gold but i think its a good indication of buffalo's progress, especially with the new kapoor building and the hands on experience it'll bring

Nice ! That's where I'm attending!

great to hear it, i think you made a great choice. looks like we'll be classmates!

So I had my skype interview on March 12th...haven't heard back as of today...anyone get accepted over a week after their interview?

If anyone is looking for housing for next year I have a room in my house (walking distance to south, but in the nice area north of the campus). Im a P1 at UB right now

Hello everyone. I live in Rochester and I am wanting to apply for both UB and St John Fisher's PharmD Programs for next fall (2013). I was wondering if UB accepts prereq classes taken at community college. I already have a BS Degree with a 3.4 from Ohio State University, but I have to take more science courses that UB requires to get into their Pharmacy school. Since money is tight, I would like to just get them done at the community college. Is this acceptable? Also, I heard the program is super competitive...if those of you who got in wouldn't mind sharing your stats, I would appreciate it. Thanks all!

Hello everyone. I live in Rochester and I am wanting to apply for both UB and St John Fisher's PharmD Programs for next fall (2013). I was wondering if UB accepts prereq classes taken at community college. I already have a BS Degree with a 3.4 from Ohio State University, but I have to take more science courses that UB requires to get into their Pharmacy school. Since money is tight, I would like to just get them done at the community college. Is this acceptable? Also, I heard the program is super competitive...if those of you who got in wouldn't mind sharing your stats, I would appreciate it. Thanks all!
As far as I know (from experience of applying), you have to take all of your science related courses at a 4-year accredited university/college. You can always call the PharmD admissions office; however, when I asked about taking anatomy and physiology at a community college they said they could not accept it. Hope this helps!

Hmmm, you could call them to ask, because I took human anatomy (aka the class I hate most in my academic history, side story) at a community college and it was fine . Some classes like upper-division human physiology, biochemistry or microbiology though, I think you can only take them at a 4-year university, unfortunately. :(

They said Kapoor has a Tim Hortons, I sincerely hope I'm not being given false hope :D

Hello, I am planning to attend SUNY UB in upcoming fall and have a question about health insurance. Is it mandatory to have one while I am a student here?

I talked to my friend who went to Washington State Pharmacy School, she said her school did not require one.