SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations and good luck at your interview! I was contacted for an interview the day after they received my application. The interview was a great experience. Everyone was really friendly. Remember to look at the interview feedback from this site. I think every question I was asked was on there.

Thank you!! And yes I def checked out the interview feedback...have a word doc with questions and answers set up :)

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

hey guys, i have my interview for UB on friday and in the confirmation e-mail they sent me, they said i would have to write a short essay on a general topic. for those who have already interview, can anyone comment on the essay? was it hard? how long did you have to write it??? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this thread dead? I thought this school is popular ! I just applied here last night----at the last minute!

hey, did any of you guys who got accepted have trouble submitting deposite through the online system?

Some how I couldn't proceed because the system didn't have my SSN in the database?
I tried to email the admission, she mentioned something about GRADMIT requesting updates. I didn't see anything about that either nor have I recived any E-mail. :confused:

I'm so confused right now

yeah, i also had this problem, i was never assigned an UB number or was my SSN registered so i ended up mailing the check. i think this is normal, its probably just a fault on their part. UB numbers are supposed to be assigned sometime in march one of the e-mails said i think. i just called them and then called again after a week to have them confirm they received the check

At last I figured out this thing.

So if they already sent you the GRADMIT email, then you should've already updated your SSN and stuff.

I checked in this evening and noticed in the gradmit, on the status tab. There's a section on the lower right reads"person #" I think that's my UB personal number and I used that number for the deposite website and it worked!

Good to hear.
Is anybody from out of state who will be going to UB?

I'm from CA and i plan on attending UB

I have an interview on March 2nd (Hello LJ265PHARMD).....is anyone else having interview on that day?

I interviewed on 1/13/12 and was accepted the following Tuesday. I am from Pittsburgh and will be out of state if I decide to go. I made the $150 deposit to hold my seat in the class of 2016 but I am still considering UIC, WVU, and Ohio State. I really liked Buffalo but OSU and UIC are better programs and I like that OSU requires a BS to apply (hopefully more schools do this as you really should earn a bachelors before pursuing a doctorate - this will help the prestige and role of the pharmacist in healthcare to finally grow) and this probably has a lot to do with them being ranked #5 in the country.
This being said, UB still seemed like a great school and the new building is a huge plus. I have yet to make up my mind.

I just got an interview from UB which was completely unexpected. My grades weren't dazzling and I didn't even send in the secondary application along with the fee. Has this happened to anyone? I'm not complaining, of course, but it is a bit of a surprise. :D

I just got an interview from UB which was completely unexpected. My grades weren't dazzling and I didn't even send in the secondary application along with the fee. Has this happened to anyone? I'm not complaining, of course, but it is a bit of a surprise. :D

Happened to me. I ended up submitting the secondary along with the fee after I got the invite though. I'm not from NY so didn't want to have to travel out there and then have them find out that my application was incomplete. Are you going to accept the interview offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, it's my only invite so far. I'm also out-of-state student. Do you have an idea of the acceptance rate for this school?

Yea, it's my only invite so far. I'm also out-of-state student. Do you have an idea of the acceptance rate for this school?

Hello notafraid87, when is your interview? I would expect that they scheduled it for March 2nd for you, am I right? And why did you send the secondary and the fee if they already sent you an invite for an interview?

If any one is going there without a car (by plane), let me know which hotel you will be going to (most likely we will be in the same or close hotels) and we can just all go together in my car instead of taking an expensive taxi. I will also give you a ride back to your hotel.

I'm just trying to be helpful right here. My interview is March 2nd...if any one is interested, let me know.

I thought that I eventually have to pay for the fees no matter what. Darn. My interview is on Feb. 24. No lunch provided that day though. :(

I thought that I eventually have to pay for the fees no matter what. Darn. My interview is on Feb. 24. No lunch provided that day though. :(

Weird...because I received my interview invite on February 8th and was scheduled for February 24th but I called and delayed due to not being able to come on February 24th. So they scheduled me again for March 2nd.

Well, good luck and let me know how it goes. In case you haven't already heard about it, you should check the interview feedback option here in studentdoctor for SUNY BUFFALO pharmacy, it's really helpful!

Good luck to you too on the interview. I am aware that most of the interview questions asked are very similar to the ones posted on this forum. Still, I am a bit nervous :oops:

Good luck to you too on the interview. I am aware that most of the interview questions asked are very similar to the ones posted on this forum. Still, I am a bit nervous :oops:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you apply to SUNY buffalo? Any special reasons?

I applied for usual reasons: cost (in state tuition for out-of-state students in 2nd year), reputation, and research. I knew some pharmacists who graduated there, too.

Anyone from the Feb 17th group hear anything yet? I really enjoyed the activities and thinking about all the school's opportunities.

Weird...because I received my interview invite on February 8th and was scheduled for February 24th but I called and delayed due to not being able to come on February 24th. So they scheduled me again for March 2nd. /QUOTE]

Similar story for me...mine was actually scheduled for 1/27 but I couldn't make it that day so I was rescheduled to 3/2 as well...hopefully the time gap isn't too much of a disadvantage

Good luck to all other interviewers :)

Weird...because I received my interview invite on February 8th and was scheduled for February 24th but I called and delayed due to not being able to come on February 24th. So they scheduled me again for March 2nd. /QUOTE]

Similar story for me...mine was actually scheduled for 1/27 but I couldn't make it that day so I was rescheduled to 3/2 as well...hopefully the time gap isn't too much of a disadvantage

Good luck to all other interviewers :)

How are you going to get there if you don't mind me asking?

How are you going to get there if you don't mind me asking?

Hey MShopes, I'm going to drive up or take a train to Buffalo since I'm in Philly. However if I get into the University of Michigan (I have that interview before Buffalo) I will not be going to the Buffalo interview...hopefully that happens! :xf:

Good luck to you on your interview here!! :)

Heard back already from 2/17. Accepted!

Congrats! :)

Just wondering if anyone knows what the procedure is for the Certiphi drug testing upon acceptance? The time frame and costs? Is it urine or hair? Just wondering as I've heard hair testing is supposed to cost quite a lot and we have to pay for it ourselves if accepted.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the procedure is for the Certiphi drug testing upon acceptance? The time frame and costs? Is it urine or hair? Just wondering as I've heard hair testing is supposed to cost quite a lot and we have to pay for it ourselves if accepted.

I am scheduled to take mine tomorrow. I was accepted 1/21 so I waited a month to do it and never heard anything about it so I don't think time frame is a big issue. It cost me $53 and it is a urine test (so excited to pee in a cup - haven't done it since high school drug testing). You pay certiphi and they tell you where to go - the lab I am going to is only about a 15 minute drive from me.

All in all, painless. Though I wonder... why drug test me at all when you let me schedule it a month after I find out I have to take one? Even cocaine addicts can clear out in less than a week. The drugs that stay in your system the longest would be THC (marijuana) and benzodiazepines - about a month at the longest (assuming you are both a chronic user and massively overweight since both are fat soluble). So even a fat drug addict could clean out in time to pass the drug screen.

In my opinion, the whole process is just a waste of money.

Collegiate Village has shuttles to at least north campus. From there you would have to take the bus to get to south, where the new Kapoor hall is. Collegiate Village is a cheaper and not as nice version of Sweethome, Villas at Chesnut Ridge, and soon to be Villas at Rensch. With regard to the better three just mentioned, you'll most likely be in a quad with three others. Villas are $50 more a month than sweet home, and utilities is going to be something you'll have to split with your roommates. When I lived at the Villas, it was $700 a month per person plus electric, etc. so essentially you pay around $750 a month for a room, then you get to share your kitchen and communal area with everyone else. They have a gym, tanning beds, jacuzzi, etc. but they're gross. The gym is ok, bc you get a electronic access card and can go there any time you want and choose times when others are there or when no one is there. Overall there's usually lots partying and noise, unless you get lucky and have nice neighbors and roommates. I haven't personally stayed at collegiate village, but I know a ton of people that have lived there, then lived in Sweethome apts or the Villas and they said they would never go back to collegiate village. Sweethome has 4 rooms and a communal area all on one floor (a "flat"?) and Villas have communal area on first floor, 2 rooms on 2nd floor, and 2 rooms on third floor. If you know people you want to live with ad don't want to be the odd man out in a pre-established group of roommates, I would suggest applying for them now. I did it on Feb 10th when I lived there. Also, the shuttles do not shuttle when u want them to, they shuttle on a "schedule" which apparently does not follow the schedule they tell you about. If you have classes early (before 9) or late (after 4) I would suggest by bothering with shuttles unless you like waiting and potentially having to walk. Finally, there's no where nice to live on south, and if there was you wouldn't want to live there anyway bc you'd be a target. The new pharm building is on south.

Sorry forgot to mention. There are single room apartments, but when I lived there I considered it for 5 seconds, but it would have been around $10,000-$11,000 a year. Amherst is expensive to live in bc it is supposedly one of the safest areas in the country. I say supposedly because it seems like one a month people get robbed even on north. If money is not a problem, then theres definitely nicer parts of Amherst, but I don't know anyone that lives there bc they're around $1,500-$2,000 a month.

Collegiate Village has shuttles to at least north campus. From there you would have to take the bus to get to south, where the new Kapoor hall is. Collegiate Village is a cheaper and not as nice version of Sweethome, Villas at Chesnut Ridge, and soon to be Villas at Rensch. With regard to the better three just mentioned, you'll most likely be in a quad with three others. Villas are $50 more a month than sweet home, and utilities is going to be something you'll have to split with your roommates. When I lived at the Villas, it was $700 a month per person plus electric, etc. so essentially you pay around $750 a month for a room, then you get to share your kitchen and communal area with everyone else. They have a gym, tanning beds, jacuzzi, etc. but they're gross. The gym is ok, bc you get a electronic access card and can go there any time you want and choose times when others are there or when no one is there. Overall there's usually lots partying and noise, unless you get lucky and have nice neighbors and roommates. I haven't personally stayed at collegiate village, but I know a ton of people that have lived there, then lived in Sweethome apts or the Villas and they said they would never go back to collegiate village. Sweethome has 4 rooms and a communal area all on one floor (a "flat"?) and Villas have communal area on first floor, 2 rooms on 2nd floor, and 2 rooms on third floor. If you know people you want to live with ad don't want to be the odd man out in a pre-established group of roommates, I would suggest applying for them now. I did it on Feb 10th when I lived there. Also, the shuttles do not shuttle when u want them to, they shuttle on a "schedule" which apparently does not follow the schedule they tell you about. If you have classes early (before 9) or late (after 4) I would suggest by bothering with shuttles unless you like waiting and potentially having to walk. Finally, there's no where nice to live on south, and if there was you wouldn't want to live there anyway bc you'd be a target. The new pharm building is on south.

Well, Collegiate Village is 2 miles to UB south, Sweethome is 4.7miles to UB South, and Villas at Chesnut Ridge is 5.9 miles to UB South. Also, shuttles run from the Collegiate village to UB South. Click this http://www.collegiatevillagewny.com/transportation and this is their UB South shuttle schedule: http://www.collegiatevillagewny.com/admin/ckfinder/userfiles/files/UB South, TOPS pdf.pdf

Unlike sharing with 3 other people, they have Two Private Bedroom / Two private Bath - $720 per person, making a total of 2 people in that plan. You just tell them your major, what type of person you are and they will pair you with your roommate. Remember your roommate will be in his/her own private bedroom. They had a P2 student in one of that plan and they were ready to pair me with that student, which I think will be a good thing. They also have studio and one bedrooms, but that is a bit expensive. This is their floor plans: http://www.collegiatevillagewny.com/floorplans-pricing

Last edited:
I live in an apartment with my gf, and it is wayy overpriced. $800/mo. No utilities except garbage removal and water. Ends up being about $1,100 with cable, Internet, electric, and gas. There's no amenities except a pool, which is probably just about solid ice now. One good thing about shuttles is that you don't have to try to find parking spots, which is usually close to impossible. Do u have any other questions about UB and classes? I've also been on the pharm schools list of tutors available for pre-pharm students for three years in every subject except English.

Can someone please elaborate on the in-state tuition for out-of-state students or direct me to the website where this information is? I just rescheduled my interview (again...ugh time conflicts) and have been trying to look for the information on the UB SoPPS website but cannot seem to find it for all four years.

Thanks!!

Do you plan on living in buffalo or ny year round?

Each of the SUNY schools are required to have their own policy that functions in accordance with that of the general guidelines of NY state. SUNY Buffalo's general policies can be found:

http://studentaccounts.buffalo.edu/policies/residency.php

The school of pharmacy would not likely be much different from that but if and when it differs would either be stated on their pharmacy website or you can call. If you're not from NY state and you are a dependent, at least one of your parents has to have been a NY state resident for I think at least 12 months last I recall. If this criteria is not met, you have no legal chance of getting in-state tuition first year. If you lived in Buffalo or NY for 12 months and established a life outside of school in NY, and forfeit your residency of your former state, and everything goes according to plan, like in Disney World, then you have a slight chance at being considered in-state for second year. If you are committed to this process I would strongly advise getting a NYS driver's license because it is a significant form of identification and that is what a friend of mine did from NJ. The sooner you get that out of the way, the more time you could potentially attribute to your length of residency in ny. By no means is it a guarantee, but if this is YOUR school and you want nothing other, then this is what you have to (legally) do. There's always some exceptions and blah blah blah, but don't rely on anything like that.

According to the following link, you're estimated cost of attendance for a year at UB will run you about $58,000-$59,000 if you're out of state. The only variations from this that they show are a variation in rent (they figure $10,000 a year) or the comprehensive fee (~$1,500) which they may or may not let you drop. As far as rent, it's not impossible to find cheaper but you get what you pay for. I live in Amherst in an apartment complex around the corner from North campus, and rent is $850 a month plus a security deposit equal to one months rent, plus about $130 for cable and Internet, plus about $100 during the winter months for gas (heat), plus about $100-$150 a month for electricity. That ends up being around $15,000 a year to live in a two bedroom apartment that I can feel somewhat safe living in. If you choose to share an apartment with 3 other roommates and live at either Sweethome apts, The Villas at Chestnut Ridge, or the new for next year Villas at Rensch, then you might think you're going to get off with a significantly cheaper cost of rent. Not the case. If you share an apt with three other people at one of those places you're still looking at AT LEAST $700-$750 a month per person in your apartment just for rent, then you'd split electricity, etc. but you're still looking at over $11,000. The only good thing about those apartments is that they're furnished, meaning that you don't have to buy a microwave, bed, dresser, desk, couch, chair, kitchen table, or tv stand. There are cheaper places on South, but you'll most likely need to furnish them yourself, split the rent with a large number of roommates, possibly look over your car insurance plan to see what's covered, invest in some new locks for at least your lower floor windows, buy a baseball bat or other protection so that you can at least pretend you're going to do something if your house is broken into. If you don't care much about your future, your life, or your stuff, you can just wing it and take the most likely former frat house as is. You can save some money if you walk to class from south (the new pharm building is on south) and in the winter bring a change of clothes so that those nice dress pants don't have road salt stains all over them everyday. If you're driving a car, plan on getting to the parking lots early unless you're a "crafty" driver. This is also somewhat costly though because UB is more willing to give you a parking ticket than to mail you your tuition bill. And if you're even thinking about depending on financial aid to come to your rescue every semester, you should start saving your money now because you'll get your financial aid refund between mid sept to early oct in the fall, and late jan-to mid feb in the spring if you have the "quick" way set up (direct deposit). Then they'll charge you a small late fee every semester because they can. Really nice facilities though. If money is not an issue for you, this is a great school with some brilliant faculty.

http://financialaid.buffalo.edu/costs/pharmcost.php

Do you plan on living in buffalo or ny year round?

Thank you for your detailed feedback Kwiz!! :)

I will only be living in buffalo during the school year if I decide to attend. It's a great school and I'm willing to pay the expenses. However, I'll look into it more with regards to quality of rotation sites, transportation, other similar opportunities before I make my final decision.

Thanks again! Your info is really helpful!! :)

No problem. One more useful site I recommend in your consideration of pharm school is the government website for the bureau of labor statistics. You can start here:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291051.htm

And from there go to different states and different counties within states and see how many pharmacists live where, etc. This is a very useful resource when considering where pharmacists are already high in numbers etc. Also, there's several sects of the govt that have pharmacy jobs that you may or may not be aware of such as the IHS Indian Health Services (no u do not need to be Native American) that almost always have a demand. Either way, this site is insightful.

i was wondering what those who currently go here actually think of the school. from the outside it seems like a great program, the campus is nice, the new kapoors building is a plus, and faculty seems very approachable from first glance. i am pretty much set on this school so i would like a better view of it from someone who attends. do you regret your decision? are you happy here?

In order to better answer your question, I can give you a more personal response if you tell me what state or side of the country or city you're from, and what size classes you're used to having. Something like gen chem, or o chem, are we talking 20 classmates? 50? 200? 500? Are you planning on commuting? Living on campus? I entered UB in 2007 so I'm pretty knowledgable about the reality of things. Any general details you want to include, and I'll be sure to address your question with way more than you expect.

I was told that it is relatively easy for out-of-state students to get in-state after 1st year. had no idea that rent was expensive. thanks for the info.

Last edited:
In order to better answer your question, I can give you a more personal response if you tell me what state or side of the country or city you're from, and what size classes you're used to having. Something like gen chem, or o chem, are we talking 20 classmates? 50? 200? 500? Are you planning on commuting? Living on campus? I entered UB in 2007 so I'm pretty knowledgable about the reality of things. Any general details you want to include, and I'll be sure to address your question with way more than you expect.

i'm actually coming from undergrad at binghamton, another suny, although not quite as large as UB. originally from NYC so i guess i've seen both small town and large city. my intro science classes seated probably around 250 easily, maybe even a bit more. currently looking for apartments near the south campus (although i have heard the warnings about the neighborhoods) so i'd be walking to class everyday ideally.

Bingo is pretty large from what I hear so I don't think you'll have much difficulty to adjusting to even larger. As far as reputable apartments around south I do not know of any. It's mostly large houses around there. The area is bad, and since you're walking, I would suggest staying close to campus. There's no "good" areas really but so it comes down to trying to find an area with bad qualities you are more comfortable with, and steering away from the areas associated with bad aspects you're not comfortable with. Assuming you want to find a house around south, there's a few themes. One is the "used to a frat house" theme. Second is "next to a frat house" theme. Third is, "between two frat houses" theme. 4th is "on a road with, but distal to a frat house" theme. 5th is "no frats in sight, but mostly students" theme. 6th is "no frats in sight, but I got some sketchy neighbors" theme. And finally, number 7 is the "what was I thinking, I would practice my right to keep and bear arms in my household for protection, but those would probably get robbed too" theme. Here's where the hopefully useful advice comes in in regard to specific streets:

*a lot of these directions are given in relation to Main Street. So for example, South of main street means the side closer to South Campus, but is not technically perfectly south on a map.

- Custer Street: This is your standard, run of the mill, theme #6 for most houses. It is located on the north side of Main Street, and for practical and safety purposes, I wouldn't venture further west down on the north side of Main St past here. We'll call this your Northwest Limit.
- Minnesota Avenue: this is going to be either a #4, #6, or a #7 theme in most instances. The majority of houses or all of them on Minnesota Ave are on the south side of Main st, between Main St and Bailey Ave. . The furthest south I would suggest for any street mentioned is Bailey Ave. We'll call the corner of Bailey ave and Minnesota Ave. you're Southwest Limit.
- Minnesota Ave, Lisbon Ave, Highgate Ave, and Winspear Ave are parallel to each other and are all on south side of Main street. I've listed these four from further from South Campus to closest to South Campus, with Winspear being the closest possible street to South (except for a run down sketchy half street that never has houses for rent). So we'll call the corner of Bailey and Winspear your Southeast Limit.
- Englewood, Heath, Merrimac, Tyler, West Winspear, and West Northrup are all south of Main st and out of the houses that I have most commonly see for rent, have been to, or have heard from direct friends, these are mostly a grab bag of themes #1to #6. I'd suggest the northern limit of these streets is Kenmore Ave, and for the ones that go diagonally westward, to stay with Custer st being your western limit for the north side of Main.
- Going east down main street here's a bunch of in between streets up until the corner of Main and Bailey. There's some really nice places east of here, but you start getting into Amherst and possibly Williamsville, which means NOT CHEAP.

These are just guidelines, there's always exceptions somewhere. Anything bad can happen anywhere, and hopefully that is not breaking news to anyone.

If you really do not plan on driving anywhere. You might be able to find a house on one of those short, connecting streets, and be very close to Kapoor Hall, the new pharm building.

If you find a house for rent that you're interested in, I can help further from there if I know anything about it, or I can say that I don't know anything about it (which could be a good thing).

Here's a link to a screenshot from my Dropbox of South Campus and the areas I'm referring to on a map:

http://db.tt/kA4IcI6E

I was wondering if anyone who had an interview recently could provide some feedback on how it went/what kind of questions were asked/how the program went after the interview?

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone who had an interview recently could provide some feedback on how it went/what kind of questions were asked/how the program went after the interview?

Thanks!

I just had the interview this past friday, March 2nd. Okay here is how the whole day goes briefly. You first go there in a classroom setting and check in, then you go sit in a seat that have your folder on it. Then the director of admission (Hess Jennifer) will come on and introduce herself and introduce UB as well as how the day will go by using powerpoint presentation. After that, you will be required to write a response to a question in 15 minutes (don't worry, it's not all that big deal, and the people who interviewed me rejected to even take that writing sample from me to look at it). After that, all of you will usually be grouped into different groups (group A, group B, group C...etc).

Each group does a different thing at the same time....for example, group A goes to do interview first while group B goes to school tour while group C goes to do group activity (you are given a task and must come up with a solution to the problem in the task with your partner and represent it orally to the other members of your group who also have a task to represent to you, very easy don't worry).

As for the interview itself, it was super friendly, very relaxed environment and doesn't sound formal at all. Two ladies interviewed me; they first introduced themselves and what they do in UB and then told me they are just trying to know me better.We all kept laughing through out the interview and often went out of the interview scope and talk about our personal things. My interview lasted about 45 minutes-1 hour because it was just interesting.

Some of the questions they asked (from their sheet of questions) are:

1) Describe a time when you had to deliver a bad news and how did you deliver it.
2) Describe your best friend for us
3) Describe a situation where you were unsuccessful and how were you able to solve it to make it successful eventually
4) What do you think about the new pharmacy law that allows pharmacists to give immunizations and prescribe medications. For this question, they would just say the new pharmacy law and will wait for you to say what is the law which is basically giving immunizations and prescribe medications. Make them feel that you know the new laws that come up with pharmacy.
5) Tell us about one person, either living or dead, who you would like to interview and what would you like to ask him?
6) How do you deal with stress? Do you usually talk with someone or just deal with it by yourself?

As you can see, these questions are mostly about my personality just to know me better.

These are pretty much all the questions they asked me and then they gave me the chance to ask them any questions. I asked them a question that made them keep answering for about 20 minutes long.

After the interview, we all gathered again in one roam and ate pizza and wings and exchanged phone numbers. We pretty much got to know all of each other.

Amazing school, amazing faculty, amazing people...everything is just nice....EXCEPT for the huge campus that you can easily get lost in lol