This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howard

Pros
  • Already confirmed, have a lease
  • DC is probably nicer, haven't spent much time in Brooklyn
  • Have car available
  • Like previous living conditions in grad school
  • The students and other classes are really cohesive
Cons
  • Long travel time home, (NY)
  • More expensive
  • Not as ‘competitive school’- potentially could be a standout in the class(pro and con)
  • Fewer research labs- research opportunities seem to be largely external

SUNY Downstate
Pros
  • Cost less (in state tuition)
  • More ‘competitive’ –would be in the middle of the class (pro and con)
  • Step 1 prep was more emphasized during tour
  • No commute
  • More research opportunities
  • Integrated pathways
  • MD/mph available
Cons
  • Would have to break a lease to go
  • Not as nice apartment
  • I have never lived in Brooklyn (from suburban environment but I frequented NYC)
  • Not as many exams- 8-12 weeks for a total of 6 exam weeks
As a URM, Howard cold be a better 'fit' but it is far from home (NY) and I already signed a lease. Is Downstate worth changing my plans? EDIT: Accepted to downstate off waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. How much would it cost to break the lease or would you have to pay the entire year/find someone to sublet? And what about finding housing near Downstate? Would the difference in tuition offset the cost? Personally I don't find that DS is more competitive, and it seems like you've already established yourself at a school that you enjoy in an area you'd like to live in. I don't think it's worth changing up all your plans this late and throw in this much uncertainty.

Sunk costs- month of rent, parking pass, an electric fee and the hassle of moving in- 1184. To break the lease... I haven't flown the situation up with management yet but I'd likely just lose the money I put in already and have to vacate. On paper I'd need to find someone to cover the space but in MD renters have to make a reasonable effort to fill the room as well. I still see people touring the place and the undergrads have not started yet so I don't think they have a shortage of interested tenants.

Difference in tuition 3,500. I'd live off campus in a nearby town for Howard and commute using the metro, Downstate I'd be on campus, across the street from school. I can't put a finger on the availability of units at the moment (it's the weekend) but I'm anticipating one of the options being ~1500/month and the other 1200/month all included (compared to 1000/month+ electric). Really not saving as much as I thought I would.

Update
Difference in tuition +fees is more like 4302. Still, a lot less than anticipated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not as many exams- 8-12 weeks for a total of 6 exam weeks

As a Downstate student, this is definitely a pro. It lets you study at your own pace, have a LOT of free time, and teaches you to store large amounts of info for your exams (which you need to do for Step 1 anyway).

Think about how it sounds- out of the ~18 months of preclinicals, you have 6 weeks of exams. A lot less test associated anxiety for those that tend to have it.