Supplementing Organic Chemistry courses for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimbo Neutrombo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Before you can properly answer my question, I may need to provide you with some background information about myself. I am entering a university this fall after having completed two years of running start at my local community college. For those who don't know, the running start program allows high school students to spend their last two years at a community college in order to obtain college credit and high school credit simultaneously. After two years, I successfully completed my AA and therefore possess the same amount of credits as an entering college junior--despite being only 18. During running start, I completed all of my pre-reqs for medical school except for gen Chem and O-Chem. Though most people take their chemistry courses earlier in their education, I am going to have to start as a junior. My plan is to earn my bachelors degree in two years and immediately enter medical school if possible. Since I am taking general chemistry this coming year, I will be prepared for any general chemistry questions on the MCAT. However, if I am to take the MCAT during summer 2018, I would have no formal O-Chem under my belt. My plan was to supplement the year of o-Chem with Khan academy videos, an O-Chem textbook, and through an MCAT prep service. Will this suffice or should I wait to take the MCAT the following summer of 2019 after I have taken some o-Chem and biochem courses? Of course, if I do this, I will I have to wait 3 years to get into medical school instead of just 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't jump the gun on applying and definitely don't do it on the MCAT. 100% I would take the full year of O-chem and take the biochemistry course. Don't focus on getting to med school as quickly as possible, at certain schools you might even find yourself at a disadvantage for being a younger applicant. Take your time, study what is needed for the MCAT and do the best you can, then apply when you're absolutely ready!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't jump the gun on applying and definitely don't do it on the MCAT. 100% I would take the full year of O-chem and take the biochemistry course. Don't focus on getting to med school as quickly as possible, at certain schools you might even find yourself at a disadvantage for being a younger applicant. Take your time, study what is needed for the MCAT and do the best you can, then apply when you're absolutely ready!

Thank you for your advice. A few people from my new school have said similar things and it is becoming increasingly clear to me that rushing through this process is not the way to go about entering medical school.

As someone who rushed I cannot emphasis how mad I am at myself. Take your time.