Supreme Court Ruling, Race based admissions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what we're arguing. How do you know that? It could have just been a gender thing all along. The data is not particularly strong for race-conscious AA here.
We’ve cited articles. It is not just a gender thing. You ask how do we know and then you say the data isn’t strong? There is data, therefore we know.

One article that shows it’s working:

@centralC

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you separating by genders only for African Americans, and not other races?
Firstly, it's unbelievable that you're pulling the sexist card here. That's not what we're trying to say at all. We're just questioning why race-based AA is accepted as the sole cause of the observed rise in Black physicians if that increase was entirely driven by women. I think it's wonderful that this is happening and it should continue. I am not convinced, however, that this was the result of race-based AA. Instead, gender-based AA or more liberal gender attitudes is my prime suspect.

Because I don't have the data for that. If you could link some articles with that information, I'd be more than open to reviewing them.

Edit: I'm dumb and misinterpreted the statistics here. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything, I hope the admissions process becomes more individualized than basically a mass screening process. I know that is wishful thinking. But I do think all factors that inform a person’s identity should be considered when deciding how privileged or underprivileged a person is, i.e. it’s not just a matter of race, it’s a matter of income, gender, family history, immigration etc. I really hope this decision basically just pushes schools into using all these factors more creatively as opposed to just race when grouping applicants into certain categories, like instead of URM can we now have UP (under-privileged)? Is it wrong or naive of me to think that even after this decision, we will still continue to strive to encourage diversity, but just in slightly different or modified or creative ways?

Members don't see this ad :)
But can you say they did? If race-based AA was in fact doing its job of increasing the proportion of AA among med students, would you not expect both proportions to increase equally? The fact that this disparity exists suggests to me that something else underlies this increase, perhaps the push for women that I mentioned. This evidence at the very least makes me skeptical that race-based AA is doing its job.

Let's do some guesses with some numbers. If black men physicians were 2.8% in 1940, then I guess white male physicians were 80%+ in the U.S at the time. Here are the current proportions which I will guess are close to half female/half male for the races.
Facts-and-Figures-2019-Figure-18.png

so black men are 2.5-2.8%. White is 56% but white males is probably close to 28%. White females is the other 28%. Asians which are 17% probably didn't take up even 10% in 1940. So black men keeping 2.8% from 1940 to 2020 is better than white males who dropped from 80% to around 30%. If you want to look at it from just a black male perspective, I would say AA kept black men's proportion about the same over this period of time instead of dropping like white males.

Also Black females benefit from race based AA. If you are telling me that black females would do just as well if they didn't put down that they were black, I don't believe that.

We’ve cited articles. It is not just a gender thing. You ask how do we know and then you say the data isn’t strong? There is data, therefore we know.

One article that shows it’s working:

@centralC
You've missed the point. How do you know that race-based AA is actually increasing the representation of Black physicians? We have shown you evidence that the increase observed in the past half-century was almost entirely due to a rise in female Black physicians, a wonderful thing in its own right, but not the home run for race-based AA that we all were hoping for. If race-based AA were the cause of this increase, why would there be a disparity between the increase in male and female Black physicians? In my mind, it's more likely that something gender-related is underlying this increase, in which case race-based AA would have been downright harmful to Asian Americans for no real benefit. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong if you have the data to support anything otherwise.

Firstly, it's unbelievable that you're pulling the sexist card here. That's not what we're trying to say at all. We're just questioning why race-based AA is accepted as the sole cause of the observed rise in Black physicians if that increase was entirely driven by women. I think it's wonderful that this is happening and it should continue. I am not convinced, however, that this was the result of race-based AA. Instead, gender-based AA or more liberal gender attitudes is my prime suspect.

Because I don't have the data for that. If you could link some articles with that information, I'd be more than open to reviewing them.
If the proportion of female physicians is roughly constant across all racial and ethnic groups, then if the overall proportion of the racial or ethnic group has increased, then it's not just about gender.

As of 2018, the proportion of men and women in each racial and ethnic group were roughly similar.

No one has claimed that race-based AA is the sole cause. What we've done is push against the notion that you and other users are supporting that race-based AA has had "no effect", using numbers that exclude women.

If the proportion of female physicians is roughly constant across all racial and ethnic groups, then if the overall proportion of the racial or ethnic group has increased, then it's not just about gender.

As of 2018, the proportion of men and women in each racial and ethnic group were roughly similar.

No one has claimed that race-based AA is the sole cause. What we've done is push against the notion that you and other users are supporting that race-based AA has had "no effect", using numbers that exclude women.
You would need data from decades ago showing that gender ratios were the same back then as well, which I highly doubt. I'll admit I went too far in saying it had "no effect". However, the effect it seems to have had is so small and confounded by other things like gender that it might as well be considered a failed policy.

Let's do some guesses with some numbers. If black men physicians were 2.8% in 1940, then I guess white male physicians were 80%+ in the U.S at the time. Here are the current proportions which I will guess are close to half female/half male for the races.
View attachment 373771
so black men are 2.5-2.8%. White is 56% but white males is probably close to 28%. White females is the other 28%. Asians which are 17% probably didn't take up even 10% in 1940. So black men keeping 2.8% from 1940 to 2020 is better than white males who dropped from 80% to around 30%. If you want to look at it from just a black male perspective, I would say AA kept black men's proportion about the same over this period of time instead of dropping like white males.

Also Black females benefit from race based AA. If you are telling me that black females would do just as well if they didn't put down that they were black, I don't believe that.
The drop in white males is actually somewhat consistent with the fact that white males also now make up just over 30% of the US population. Nothing surprising to see there.

It's interesting to me that you're now explicitly saying Black females would not have gotten in without their race. You leaned so hard into your own argument that you ended up being racist. It's sad to see.

Edit: Strikethrough text above was a bad faith argument on my part, left for transparency. Apologies for any offense caused.

Edit 2: I'm dumb and misinterpreted the statistics here. Sorry for the confusion!

You would need data from decades ago showing that gender ratios were the same back then as well, which I highly doubt. I'll admit I went too far in saying it had "no effect". However, the effect it seems to have had is so small and confounded by other things like gender that it might as well be considered a failed policy.
In the 1940s, something less than 5% of physicians were female, so no, you really wouldn't. The number of female physicians was so small as to have a negligible effect.

While the intersectionality of gender and race is absolutely something significant to consider, I will once again say I find it incredulous that people are arguing that doubling the representation of a racial group is "nothing" because it's all women.

It's interesting to me that you're now explicitly saying Black females would not have gotten in without their race. You leaned so hard into your own argument that you ended up being racist. It's sad to see.
At this point, you've gone from having some reasonable points to what seems to be increaseingly engaging in bad faith. I'm going to stop responding.

Reactions: 5 users
In the 1940s, something less than 5% of physicians were female, so no, you really wouldn't. The number of female physicians was so small as to have a negligible effect.

While the intersectionality of gender and race is absolutely something significant to consider, I will once again say I find it incredulous that people are arguing that doubling the representation of a racial group is "nothing" because it's all women.
That's what I'm saying. The proportion of female doctors back in the earliest dates studied in that UCLA link was near 0. Is anyone surprised then that the proportion has increased significantly since then? I don't think race-based AA had as much to do with the increase among Black female physicians as you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, you've gone from having some reasonable points to engaging in bad faith. I'm going to stop responding.
I'll recant that part of my argument. You're right that I got too heated. Are you still willing to discuss? This is genuinely something I'm interested in hearing more perspectives on, especially from those in positions like yours.

I feel like we are trying to teach statistics.

1688254057223.png

What are we comparing? Black representation in medicine? That has increased over the past 50 years.

Black males has stayed the same during this time. Black females have increased from 0.1 to 2.5+%. White male proportion has likely decreased from 80+% to current 30%. White females has increased from single digits to 30%. Asians probably increased from low single digits to 17%. Hispanics is from low single digits to 5.8%.

Without race based AA, do you think the current amount of 5% black physician would be where it is at? I think the answer is clearly no, it would be lower. That is all I am saying. Pretty sure eigen is similar to my stance. We aren't saying it is a success or failure, just that it has lead to the current situation.

Reactions: 2 users
The drop in white males is actually somewhat consistent with the fact that white males also now make up just over 30% of the US population. Nothing surprising to see there.

Bad faith argument on my part. Apologies for any offense caused.
So I am being racist by saying the purpose and intention of raced based AA is to increase the number of blacks? That black females benefit from race based AA? I mean, I thought that was the purpose and reasoning of AA but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Definition of Affirmative Action: sets of policies and practices within a government or organization seeking to include particular groups based on their gender, race, sexuality, creed or nationality in areas in which such groups are underrepresented — such as education and employment.

You’re not taking into consideration that at the time AA was created, racism was still a big issue at many institutions. It’s not like AA was born one day and then every adcom said “okay we’re not racist anymore.” And because there were still many more racists than now at the time (probably the same since it wasn’t long ago), you had a very little amount of blacks getting in. It’s like with how AA just got thrown away, but med schools are still going to do it anyways. In the 60s, AA was created, colleges were still racist. Things takes time. AA started in the 1960s. That’s 63 years ago, probably less. Doing things like increasing diversity, especially for a people who were once enslaved, takes time.

I’ll reply to your other posts

clearly AA doesn’t even solve as the % of black physicians haven’t even increased. AA is unethical as it (directly) puts certain racial groups at a disadvantage. and you’re justifying it because it would have better outcomes for one certain racial demographic?? we can’t have racist policies in the US period. the “oh but one study found that having more quality of life, etc” is a bad argument. it’s not even causal, it’s not proven AA solves, and it’s not relevant when looking at this through a moral obligation standpoint.
Pretty sure eigen is similar to my stance. We aren't saying it is a success or failure, just that it has lead to the current situation.
I'm honestly not even trying to make an affirmative argument that AA was the reason for it, just saying that the "evidence" that suggests AA has not had any impact is... being poorly analyzed with a particular lens.

I would say I think it's more likely than not that a large portion of the change has been due to AA (which includes a huge range of policies, included targeted recruiting) and I'd also say that it's nearly impossible to "prove", since we don't have solid controls for what would have happened without it.

These are all fair points. I realize it's meaningless to discuss the effects of race-conscious AA at this point anyways. All we can do is look forward to the future and hope that medical schools will make their best effort to improve minority representation through the avenues that still remain, including targeted outreach and recruiting.

Now that I've had time to digest this a bit more, I realized I had completely misinterpreted the statistics. I was thinking in terms of the raw numbers instead of fractions of the whole. Like you all were trying to tell me, the fact that the proportion of Black physicians has increased by double since the 1960s is a huge win for AA. If gender rebalancing were the sole driver of this uplift, I should have expected to see the proportion of male Black physicians halve and not double since their "share of the pie" would be split with female Black physicians.

I was 100% in the wrong here. Sorry to everyone who I attacked regarding this point.

I'll leave my earlier comments up but add a disclaimer linking to this comment for future reference. Thank you all for this fruitful discussion.

*sigh* time for me to trot out this again.
This is funny but not applicable here. College admissions are zero-sum. That is a direct quote from the Supreme Court opinion. If one group benefits, another has to lose out. This did not have to be the case. Elite schools were rich enough to significantly expand their pipelines. The fact that they did not is sad to me.

This is funny, but not applicable here. College admissions are zero-sum. That is a direct quote from the Supreme Court opinion. If one group benefits, another has to lose out. This did not have to be the case. Elite schools were rich enough to significantly expand their pipelines. The fact that they did not is sad to me.
With what you have been saying, I conclude you would be finding a way to object if elite schools did expand pipelines.

• Haha
With what you have been saying, I conclude you would be finding a way to object if elite schools did expand pipelines.
I’m really sorry for the aggression earlier regarding the proportions. I misinterpreted the stats, which was entirely my fault. In addition, I was way too zealous in my comments and said some regrettable things that I have also acknowledged and apologized for (and left up so viewers can marvel at my stupidity).

I really do wish that schools would take the initiative to expand their classes, but I understand if you no longer trust my word given my most recent posts. Sorry again.

• Care
This is funny but not applicable here. College admissions are zero-sum. That is a direct quote from the Supreme Court opinion. If one group benefits, another has to lose out. This did not have to be the case. Elite schools were rich enough to significantly expand their pipelines. The fact that they did not is sad to me.
I don't care about UG admissions, only medical schools. BUT, when ORMs are represented in med schools to the tune of being over their proportions in the US population, you cannot seriously argue that they are being hurt.

And once again, I must remind you all about several harsh truths:
It's not "your" seat in med school. It's the med school's.

It's an accreditation requirement for med schools to have a diverse class.

Not everybody gets to be a doctor.

The reason, as we keep trying to (futilely) point out, is that URM are desired as applicants precisely because they are URM.

The "best" don't have to be the brightest, nor do the "brightest" have to be the best. The path take can be an EC in and of itself.

And again, it's not what applicants want, it's what the schools want.

Admission to medical school, and a career in Medicine is a privilege, not a right. It is not a reward for being a good student or having high grades + GPA. We're not looking for only good students, but for people who will be good doctors.

Finally, it's all about the patients. We're the last thing between you and them.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
After reading all this, all I gotta say is oh great heavens…

Also, if the negative sentiment around affirmative action is about how white/Asian applicants are losing spots to Black/Latin or Hispanic/Native Americans/etc. applicants for specific schools, either college/university or with medical schools, how often are Black/Latin or Hispanic/Native Americans/etc. who are unqualified by the standards set by the school, (NOT just obtaining lower stat averages) getting into schools over white/Asian applicants who meet or exceed the school’s set standards?

Reactions: 1 users
I don't care about UG admissions, only medical schools. BUT, when ORMs are represented in med schools to the tune of being over their proportions in the US population, you cannot seriously argue that they are being hurt.

The reason, as we keep trying to (futilely) point out, is that URM are desired as applicants precisely because they are URM.

The "best" don't have to be the brightest, nor do the "brightest" have to be the best. The path take can be an EC in and of itself.

Admission to medical school, and a career in Medicine is a privilege, not a right. It is not a reward for being a good student or having high grades + GPA. We're not looking for only good students, but for people who will be good doctors.

Finally, it's all about the patients. We're the last thing between you and them.
Good point. I know absolutely nothing about medical school admissions, so I cannot say anything on that matter. All I have to go on are Harvard’s undergrad admissions data that came out during the trial. There, it is clear and apparent that Asians were directly discriminated against in the form of lower personality scores compared to every other race. The same discrepancy was not found in UNC’s admissions data, suggesting that this could very well be an issue at Harvard alone and only at the undergraduate level.

I agree with all your other points and (now that I’ve cleared up my self-induced confusion about the efficacy of race-conscious admissions) remain very much in favor of the practice especially at the medical school level. A prior poster cited a recent publication with hard data showing that better Black representation among physicians yielded better Black health outcomes (many other confounding factors were considered and the effect was still very significant). Like the rest of you, I feel that it would be outrageous then not to try to bring representation up among incoming medical students, whether that be via affirmative action or something else.

Now that I've had time to digest this a bit more, I realized I had completely misinterpreted the statistics. I was thinking in terms of the raw numbers instead of fractions of the whole. Like you all were trying to tell me, the fact that the proportion of Black physicians has increased by double since the 1960s is a huge win for AA. If gender rebalancing were the sole driver of this uplift, I should have expected to see the proportion of male Black physicians halve and not double since their "share of the pie" would be split with female Black physicians.

I was 100% in the wrong here. Sorry to everyone who I attacked regarding this point.

I'll leave my earlier comments up but add a disclaimer linking to this comment for future reference. Thank you all for this fruitful discussion.

I forgive you. I understand that there are probably many Asian-Americans who are frustrated with the racial discrimination illustrated in this case. Similarly, there will be other URM who are disheartened by the decision. Personally, I had similar emotions when I was rejected from every top undergrad I applied and only had an acceptance from my backup state school. At some point, I wonder if being Asian-American played a role and now it appears it probably did.

In the next three years, I graduated from undergrad using AP/college credits and entered a top 25 medical school at the age of 20. I do not know if things would have been different if I went to a top ranked undergrad but I have zero regrets about my path. This world is not fair but that does not give us an excuse to be cruel or dismissive of others. What we control is our own endeavors and thoughts, not society's. When I think about my life, I do not constantly think of all the injustices that have happened to me. That feels so pessimistic and unhelpful. There is so much to be thankful for that most people forget. I am thankful for the age we live in where we can chat online with strangers, where we can discuss laws and topics openly. Of the people born in third world countries, how many of them can make it out to a better place? What is the american dream to some one starving and just trying to survive another day? What we are discussing are first world problems to them. It's like a nepo-baby complaining about how tough being famous and well-connected is.

In the end, the system is not perfect but a person can do his/her best and be satisfied with that. Even if you think the system is rigged as was the situation with Harvard's undergrad admissions, life moves on. I am not saying we should not fight injustice but sometimes we miss the bigger picture. Instead of just thinking about things from our personal view, we need to think about issues from others' views, societal view, and the historical view. That is how I strive to be a better person, by thinking comprehensively and doing what I believe will be best for everyone.

• Love
Good point. I know absolutely nothing about medical school admissions, so I cannot say anything on that matter. All I have to go on are Harvard’s undergrad admissions data that came out during the trial. There, it is clear and apparent that Asians were directly discriminated against in the form of lower personality scores compared to every other race. The same discrepancy was not found in UNC’s admissions data, suggesting that this could very well be an issue at Harvard alone and only at the undergraduate level.

I agree with all your other points and (now that I’ve cleared up my self-induced confusion about the efficacy of race-conscious admissions) remain very much in favor of the practice especially at the medical school level. A prior poster cited a recent publication with hard data showing that better Black representation among physicians yielded better Black health outcomes (many other confounding factors were considered and the effect was still very significant). Like the rest of you, I feel that it would be outrageous then not to try to bring representation up among incoming medical students, whether that be via affirmative action or something else.
UNC is not a highly selective school, especially for instate students. We can’t compare it with Harvard.

In the next three years, I graduated from undergrad using AP/college credits and entered a top 25 medical school at the age of 20.
You have reached your goal and settled. So , it is easier to say “lLife is not fair. Move on”. It is not that easy for those who endured the torture through four or five cycles and the ones with 3.9+ and 520+ and returned empty handed after toiling during premed, mcat prep, 1000s of hours of research and clinical hours hoping to realize their lifelong dreams.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
You have reached your goal and settled. So , it is easier to say “lLife is not fair. Move on”. It is not that easy for those who endured the torture through four or five cycles and the ones with 3.9+ and 520+ and returned empty handed after toiling during premed, mcat prep, 1000s of hours of research and clinical hours hoping to realize their lifelong dreams.
I swear only other pre-meds would consider admission to a T-25 medical school at 20 "settling".

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I swear only other pre-meds would consider admission to a T-25 medical school at 20 "settling".
The equivalent in engineering is kids from Berkeley and other San Francisco area schools thinking people making $100k at small-medium businesses are losers because they're not at a FAANG making $250k (usually half of which is in delayed stocks and not true income anyway). This **** never ends.

Reactions: 3 users
I get what you are saying . But I feel that the unpredictability of the process/journey is taken away once you get into medical school. It is a different feel .

I am not an applicant but a patriotic citizen who believes in fairness and fair treatment of everyone. I like to challenge the status quo as much as I can. This is not directed to you, but the present situation in America.
I have worked for federal government for many many years. I am a minority too. It is not how you think. No one can get away with any racism, they will lose their job . Actually it is the other way. I can give a lot more information, but you and the moderators won’t like it. So I will refrain from it. Again, if there is an institutional racism, police racism or any racism, we have to take it to the authorities , congressmen, senators , courts and fix it. College admissions is not the place to fix it . They are unrelated and it won’t fix any racism if there is any.

I'm curious, are you still "not an applicant"?

You seem to have very definite opinions, but your comments are all over the place. You've worked "for years" for the federal government, you "know" all kinds of students that you think should be admitted, but a lot of your understanding of the actual admissions process seems... less than solid.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

You say that as if there is some conspiracy in admissions against certain groups. If someone had all those and did not get in, I can assure it is not because of race (I literally had a 3.98 with 97 percentile MCAT and 1000+ research hours with multiple acceptances).

In medical school, one of the early things you learn about is social determinants of health. These are barriers that people face which makes it harder for them to have good health outcomes. This not only exists in healthcare but in all aspects of life. I have come to appreciate the things I have rather than focus on what I do not have. Because I know life is not fair, most of what I have today a result of my own work but also things I have no control over like who were my parents, their financial situation, my genetics, and way more. I honestly believe just being an U.S. citizen with supportive parents is a better situation than 90% of the world. I can't say I deserve that. I was born with this situation.

I certainly think there are unfair things in life which we need to prioritize like abortion rights, exploitative work practices, and LGBTQ rights. For AA, I think it might be flawed but I think it was a bandage for the situation. But the issue of racial disparities still stands so there will be some other way to address it. As an Asian-American, I was probably affected when race was used to categorize applicants but it is a minor injustice compared to everything else in this world. If that was the price so some other students who came from worse backgrounds would have a better chance in life, I just hope they appreciate the opportunity.

There are people living under the rule of dictators or oppressive governments. The world knows about it and just watches as they suffer. There is no justice for them; what can they do about their situation? Almost nothing.

In comparison, as tough as medical school admissions are, I think they are fair enough so everyone has a chance. Of course, there are many factors outside of your control that affect your chances but that is true for much of life. I believe applicants themselves do have a large enough influence on their medical school admission so that if it is their dream, it is within their capability to achieve it. If someone is highly qualified and shows they can be a capable physician, some medical school(s) will accept them.

• Love
You say that as if there is some conspiracy in admissions against certain groups. If someone had all those and did not get in, I can assure it is not because of race (I literally had a 3.98 with 97 percentile MCAT and 1000+ research hours with multiple acceptances).

In medical school, one of the early things you learn about is social determinants of health. These are barriers that people face which makes it harder for them to have good health outcomes. This not only exists in healthcare but in all aspects of life. I have come to appreciate the things I have rather than focus on what I do not have. Because I know life is not fair, most of what I have today a result of my own work but also things I have no control over like who were my parents, their financial situation, my genetics, and way more. I honestly believe just being an U.S. citizen with supportive parents is a better situation than 90% of the world. I can't say I deserve that. I was born with this situation.

I certainly think there are unfair things in life which we need to prioritize like abortion rights, exploitative work practices, and LGBTQ rights. For AA, I think it might be flawed but I think it was a bandage for the situation. But the issue of racial disparities still stands so there will be some other way to address it. As an Asian-American, I was probably affected when race was used to categorize applicants but it is a minor injustice compared to everything else in this world. If that was the price so some other students who came from worse backgrounds would have a better chance in life, I just hope they appreciate the opportunity.

There are people living under the rule of dictators or oppressive governments. The world knows about it and just watches as they suffer. There is no justice for them; what can they do about their situation? Almost nothing.

In comparison, as tough as medical school admissions are, I think they are fair enough so everyone has a chance. Of course, there are many factors outside of your control that affect your chances but that is true for much of life. I believe applicants themselves do have a large enough influence on their medical school admission so that if it is their dream, it is within their capability to achieve it. If someone is highly qualified and shows they can be a capable physician, some medical school(s) will accept them.
Best of luck to you. I am happy for you.

I get what you are saying . But I feel that the unpredictability of the process/journey is taken away once you get into medical school. It is a different feel .

I know what you are implying if you have not been through the process. Medical school admissions are way different/better than undergrad. If you apply to a wide variety of schools with appropriate stats and all the pre-requisites (especially instate/out of state prefs), you should get interviews at a good number. If you can get more than 3 interviews, I would say it is up to your interpersonal skills at that point.

There are highly qualified applicants who slip through the cracks, yes, it happens but very rarely. However, I would also say the biggest mistake for them is usually not applying broadly or to the wrong schools. Unless you have a very strong application or some good connections, you need to apply to at least over 15 appropriate schools.

Edit: Don't settle for a T25 like me. ;) jk, but good luck. It is a crapshoot for any specific school but overall, with enough schools, people find a home.

Last edited:
I certainly think there are unfair things in life which we need to prioritize like abortion rights, exploitative work practices, and LGBTQ rights.
I understand that people are passionate about those issues.
However, once you practice medicine you’ll see issues like poverty amongst some populations and lack of health care access are problems that are huge.
Try to take care of an uninsured patient with an urgent problem. Or patients who can’t make it their follow appointments who don’t have a car with poor local public transportation. Families whose only access to food is fast food etc….
The abortion access/LGBTQ advocates I get it. But just because they are much more aggressive with advancing their causes people lose sight of the millions of vulnerable populations who are at disadvantage in way way greater numbers.

However, once you practice medicine you’ll see issues like poverty amongst some populations and lack of health care access are problems that are huge.
Try to take care of an uninsured patient with an urgent problem. Or patients who can’t make it their follow appointments who don’t have a car with poor local public transportation. Families whose only access to food is fast food etc….
The abortion access/LGBTQ advocates I get it. But just because they are much more aggressive with advancing their causes people lose sight of the millions of vulnerable populations who are at disadvantage in way way greater numbers.
You don't think abortion and LGBTQIA+ health access are important issues because there are other poor and underserved people? Trans people are at this very moment under assault in about half of the states in the country and all LGBTQIA+ people on a federal level with the Supreme Court now ruling it's fine to discriminate against us. Reduced access to abortion means higher maternal death rates, infant mortality rates, and general poor outcomes for both. These are bonafide health crises.

Intersectionalism is a thing that exists; the people most hurt by abortion and LGBTQIA+ health bans are also low SES.

• Care
I agree those you mentioned are big issues in healthcare outcomes. I only mentioned the listed issues as examples, particularly because they relate to the law. I have no idea how to solve poverty, transportation, or food deserts even with changes in the law without being radical.

The issue and the most compelling argument made by Roberts regarding this is that the broad generalization of what constitutes ORM being defined as “Asian” is outright ****ing bonkers. There are ethic groups that are widely over represented and those that aren’t. Yet the under represented groups are not getting that benefit. It is pretty unconscionable to think that having a HIGHER standard for a minority group is in any way a good idea.

i disagree with the idea that respectfully. i know you have more experience and authority to say that though. but in my eyes/experience gpa and mcat are reflective of conscientiousness resilience sacrifice drive motivation etc (yes i know it’s not completely level with income differences
While GPA and MCAT certainly reflect those attributes, so do employment, volunteer hours (especially service to those unlike yourself), and research. I am sorry that you do not seem to understand how much we consider other factors in admissions decisions.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
These type of anomalies are the biggest elephant in the room. The current medschool admissions leaves so much room for subjective factors, chance and potential bias based on the moods of the adcoms who interviews, Essay readers and admissions committee, adding elements of unpredictability to the selection outcomes. Some Med school having ~15000 applicants and mere 1% to be selected with so many orthogonal parameters like GPA, MCAT, Essays, Extracurricular, interview etc., lots of students are literally playing Russian roulette. They need quantifiable system, at least something like LizzyM score. A good system is the one that eliminates uncertainty. The countries where med school students who get into medschool after highschool with a single competitive entrance exams are producing good doctors as well. Infact US citizen opt for medical tourism to go to those countries and get treated. If the American medschool admission doesn't improve, this will further break American healthcare system.

Last edited:
These type of anomalies are the biggest elephant in the room. The current medschool admissions leaves so much room for subjective factors, chance and potential bias based on the moods of the adcoms who interviews, Essay readers and admissions committee, adding elements of unpredictability to the selection outcomes. Some Med school having ~15000 applicants and mere 1% to be selected with so many orthogonal parameters like GPA, MCAT, Essays, Extracurricular, interview etc., lots of students are literally playing Russian roulette. They need quantifiable system, at least something like LizzyM score. A good system is the one that eliminates uncertainty. The countries where med school students who get into medschool after highschool with a single competitive entrance exams are producing good doctors as well. Infact US citizen opt for medical tourism to go to those countries and get treated. If the American medschool admission doesn't improve, this will further break American healthcare system.
I couldn’t have said it better and couldn’t agree more. I believe that USF Morsani is doing something that the other medical schools can follow. It will help a lot of applicants and remove the uncertainty to some extent.

USF Morsani Medical School has a BSMD program. Any high school kid with 4.0 wGPA and 1500 is qualified to enter this program. All students are given a schedule of courses and also required to do research, predefined number of hours of clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing etc. At the end of the sophomore year, everyone with 3.7 (if I remember correctly) and 516 on the mcat are given an interview at Morsani medical school which is basically a guaranteed acceptance because they never rejected anyone after the interview it seems . The 516 is not an arbitrary number but their average matriculants score.

Every university can do something like this. It can be a 8 year program as well. They can slightly lower the threshold and fill up say 40-50% of the available seats. They can publish in advance their need based aid and merit scholarship policy for those who enter this program. This will take away the stress of a lot of applicants from applying to 40-50 schools and return empty handed sometimes . They can fill up the remaining 50% through the traditional holistic admissions.

As a side note, USF says that only 10% (15 out of 150) of those who entered this program manage to successfully matriculate to Morsani. Most of them fail to clear the mcat threshold which was 515 until last year. It was hard for me to believe that only 10% of those with 1500 on the SAT could score 515 on the MCAT. It was an eye opener for me. Yet, medical schools treat applicants with 518+ or 520+ as if they are nothing.

It need not be a BSMD as well. Every medical school can come up with a qualifying criteria for an automatic admission (gpa, mcat, shadowing, extracurriculars etc) and fill up 40-50% of the class. The rest can be filled up by the holistic process.

Last edited:
I couldn’t have said it better and couldn’t agree more. I believe that USF Morsani is doing something that the other medical schools can follow. It will help a lot of applicants and remove the uncertainty to some extent.

USF Morsani Medical School has a BSMD program. Any high school kid with 4.0 wGPA and 1500 is qualified to enter this program. All students are given a schedule of courses and also required to do research, predefined number of hours of clinical experience, volunteering, shadowing etc. At the end of the sophomore year, everyone with 3.7 (if I remember correctly) and 516 on the mcat are given an interview at Morsani medical school which is basically a guaranteed acceptance because they never rejected anyone after the interview it seems . The 516 is not an arbitrary number but their average matriculants score.

Every university can do something like this. It can be a 8 year program as well. They can slightly lower the threshold and fill up say 40-50% of the available seats. They can publish in advance their need based aid and merit scholarship policy for those who enter this program. This will take away the stress of a lot of applicants from applying to 40-50 schools and return empty handed sometimes . They can fill up the remaining 50% through the traditional holistic admissions.

As a side note, USF says that only 10% (15 out of 150) of those who entered this program manage to successfully matriculate to Morsani. Most of them fail to clear the mcat threshold which was 515 until last year. It was hard for me to believe that only 10% of those with 1500 on the SAT could score 515 on the MCAT. It was an eye opener for me. Yet, medical schools treat applicants with 518+ or 520+ as if they are nothing.

It need not be a BSMD as well. Every medical school can come up with a qualifying criteria for an automatic admission (gpa, mcat, shadowing, extracurriculars etc) and fill up 40-50% of the class. The rest can be filled up by the holistic process.
Expecting 516 after sophomore year may be too much, especially many students couldn't have the chance of finishing Biochemistry. Also I will not weigh too much on SAT, because it tests science very little and there is a strong correlation where the students have good training gets higher SAT score. MCAT is different as it directly test the subjects they study for pre-req courses. Not trying to play devil's advocate, but US high school education has huge disparity, so in current form where some private schools offers 10 AP and some public schools hardly offer any AP. Unfortunately our education system lets Universities to fix some of the short comings. As someone pointed earlier about fixing k-12, it will take a decade to clean up. Until then they could only improve the current system with better quantifiable metric and use good Mathematicians to model and see which admission process produces results with minimum uncertainty.

Last edited:

Pertaining to last your point about qualifying criteria for automatic admission, would they bypass an interview or essays? I’m not sure on how making this more of a numbers game is going to ensure that people who have not developed into good potential physicians are caught in the net before they matriculate into school, especially with an automatic admission. There are schools that utilize GPA and MCAT minimums to award in-state residents with automatic interviews, such as KU, but that still puts the applicant in front of someone to determine whether or not they have the interpersonal skills necessary to be awarded a seat at the medical school.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Pertaining to last your point about qualifying criteria for automatic admission, would they bypass an interview or essays? I’m not sure on how making this more of a numbers game is going to ensure that people who have not developed into good potential physicians are caught in the net before they matriculate into school, especially with an automatic admission. There are schools that utilize GPA and MCAT minimums to award in-state residents with automatic interviews, such as KU, but that still puts the applicant in front of someone to determine whether or not they have the interpersonal skills necessary to be awarded a seat at the medical school.

From what it seems like, it is only automatic interviews if you completed everything including AMCAS. I guess the interview might be a bit of a formality but still, I would not say it is an automatic acceptance.

From what it seems like, it is only automatic interviews if you completed everything including AMCAS. I guess the interview might be a bit of a formality but still, I would not say it is an automatic acceptance.
Oh yeah, I understand it from USF’s standpoint, but the person I replied to proposed an automatic admission for every med school with specific criteria listed, not an automatic interview. I wasn’t sure if they just withheld mentioning interview/essay requirements in their post, or if they didn’t think it was part of the criteria necessary to be granted admission.

Essays could be hacked by college and professional pre-med advisors. But Interviews are real thing to understand the interpersonal skills. Only problem with interviews are there is some level of uncertainty based on type of interviewers and the day in which the candidate interviews. There is a natural noise in every system ( Something called SNR : signal to noise ratio ). The signal is the true attribute you want to capture in and random noise sometime distorts that signal. The best way to remove the bias from noise is taking more samples. Each school having their own interview and don't look at other school's interview comments creates more uncertainty.

If my statement about SNR is confusing, please ask your Math professor the following. Again here, we are just talking about removing uncertainity in interview and not eliminate interviews.

Imagine you are a student applying to three different schools. Each school holds three separate interviews with you, and, as with any interview process, there's a degree of uncertainty in each. Every school receives applications from the similar pool of 15,000 students and aims to select just 150. Similar pool is because students tends to apply for similar schools based on OOS or Instate friendly, MCAT/GPA and EC. Now consider two scenarios:

(A) Each school makes its selection of 150 students independently, without sharing the results of the interviews with the other schools.

(B) All three schools collectively decide and select a total of 450 students, based on shared interview results.

Which scenario, (A) or (B), do you think would yield less uncertainty or unpredictability in the admissions process?

Status
Not open for further replies.